Apple rolls out first public beta of macOS 10.14 Mojave

Posted:
in macOS edited June 2018
Apple has released its first beta of macOS 10.14 Mojave for testing by the public, one day after similar releases for iOS 12 and tvOS 12, giving Mac users prepared to install the beta their first taste of the upcoming operating system update.

Released on Tuesday, the macOS Mojave beta is available to download from the Apple Beta Software Program website, alongside its tvOS and iOS counterparts. The site requires users to register for the program in order to download the pre-release software, rather than downloading and installing it anonymously.

At a glance, it appears that the first public macOS Mojave beta is extremely similar to the second developer beta, which rolled out on June 19. Based on the cadence of the first to beta releases, a third developer beta could arrive later this week.

There are quite a few additions made to macOS Mojave that will make it useful for productivity, such as the new Stacks feature that can group files and images on the desktop. Many are made to Finder, including a Gallery view to show all media and metadata, and provide contextual quick actions to perform custom automator tasks on files.

Quick Look has been upgraded to invoke Markup without needing to leave the menu, and it can also be used to trim videos without requiring a separate video editor. A Screenshot HUD helps simplify the process of taking images of the desktop or recording screencaptures, with a reduced load on the processor.

Continuity Camera allows users to take a photograph using an iOS device's camera, and instantly insert it into a document without needing to manually send it between devices.

Part of a project to enable developers to convert iOS apps for use in macOS, Apple has updated some first-party iOS apps to work in macOS, including News, Stocks, Home, and Voice Memos. The Home app, used to maintain HomeKit, will be brought to the Mac in this way.

The Mac App Store is updated with a new user interface, including video previews, borrowing elements from the iOS App Store. New machine learning tools Create ML and Core ML2, as well as a Dark Mode, are also included in Mojave.

Just as with the developer betas, it is advised by both AppleInsider and Apple itself for users to not install beta versions of software on mission-critical systems, due to the potential of data loss. Users should try out such releases on secondary Mac desktops, and to have backups of any data held on those systems.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    smarkysmarky Posts: 75member
    I am tempted to try this, I mean there isn’t much super intreasting in this release but I really wanna try goth mode but I don’t know if the beta’ishness of this release is worth it.
    Eric_WVGGlamboaudi4
  • Reply 2 of 26
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Every OS update always comes with somewhat gimmicky new features that are exploited for marketing purposes, but which I personally end up never using. Handoff is one such feature. I loved the idea but I just never ended up using it ever. But Stacks, and the new Quick-look features, as well as the new Finder improvements however, all look incredibly useful and I can't wait. These genuinely look like features that will instantly be adopted by most people. 
  • Reply 3 of 26
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    smarky said:
    I am tempted to try this, I mean there isn’t much super intreasting in this release but I really wanna try goth mode but I don’t know if the beta’ishness of this release is worth it.
    Goth mode. I like it!
    cecil4444hodarchasmfastasleeplamboaudi4
  • Reply 4 of 26
    Is it “safe” to install this on a separate partition of your main SSD? Or is it advised that we keep it on a completely separate drive? 
  • Reply 5 of 26
    hodarhodar Posts: 357member
    Seems to me the BIGGEST announcement with Mojave is that Apple is finally supporting APFS across normal HPFS+ HDD and Fusion drives.  Previously, and since it first released over a year ago; it only officially supported pure Solid State Drives (SSDs); and categorically was not recommended for Fusion Drives.  As Apple has shipped quite a few Fusion Drives, this left a lot of us out in the cold.

Now, as I am not hearing any releases about how APFS finally works - ROBUSTLY - across every storage mechanism; I'm going to hold off on upgrading my system to Mojave; until I hear something.  I have too much to lose - as my system conisists of a Fusion boot drive, and several external HDDs running HPFS+.
  • Reply 6 of 26
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    From High Sierra create a new Volume (not Partition) and install Mojave there. Can't do any harm and fun. Just don't connect Photos as your System Library via Mojave just used Optimized if you want to try it, else it will update and not work back in High Sierra.
  • Reply 7 of 26
    Eric_WVGGEric_WVGG Posts: 968member
    hodar said:
    Seems to me the BIGGEST announcement with Mojave is that Apple is finally supporting APFS across normal HPFS+ HDD and Fusion drives. 
    I've been using APFS on my backup drives, one HD and one SSD. They have a lot of mounting issues, but otherwise work fine. Unsure whether to chalk that up to APFS or Thunderbolt 2->3 wonkiness.
  • Reply 8 of 26
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Eric_WVGG said:
    hodar said:
    Seems to me the BIGGEST announcement with Mojave is that Apple is finally supporting APFS across normal HPFS+ HDD and Fusion drives. 
    I've been using APFS on my backup drives, one HD and one SSD. They have a lot of mounting issues, but otherwise work fine. Unsure whether to chalk that up to APFS or Thunderbolt 2->3 wonkiness.
    I have a USB 3.0 RAID (5x8TB, RAID 5) connected to a Mac mini that was converted to APFS (encrypted) as soon as it became available during last year's beta of High Sierra. I've had no connectivity issues. I had very few mounting issue back with HFS+, but I'd say that now it's even less than before, but I couldn't tell you if it's the OS, file format, and/or a RAID firmware upgrade that has led to a perception of slightly better stability.
  • Reply 9 of 26
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    smarky said:
    Whatever you do don’t try any beta anything on your main computer, the one you depend on daily to get things done. A public beta should, in theory at least, be relatively stable but never assume that. If you just must try it out then install it on a drive or partition other than your main boot drive. You can even migrate your main system to the test drive to see if things are working but don’t EVER let a beta anywhere near your working system. 
    chasm
  • Reply 10 of 26
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,296member
    cecil4444 said:
    Is it “safe” to install this on a separate partition of your main SSD? Or is it advised that we keep it on a completely separate drive? 
    "Safe" is a very relative term, but I'd strongly suggest not. We have seen (a while ago now, but it happened) a bug in a beta that wiped your Home folder, and bugs that made encrypted drives unrecoverable (both "minor" technical errors from a programming perspective, but with huge consequences).

On the extremely unlikely chance that a "wipe the drive" type bug made it into a beta, having it on a separate partition wouldn't protect you. So much better to have an entirely-separate physical drive with a bootable system on it for testing Mojave if you only have one machine; of course the best practice is to confine Mojave to an entirely separate hardware machine (so it's useful that it supports a number of older models going back a significant way).
    cecil4444
  • Reply 11 of 26
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    smarky said:
    If you’re asking yourself this question then the answer is no. 
    dewme
  • Reply 12 of 26
    I just installed the Mojave Public Beta on my Late 2015 12" Retina MacBook.

LOVE Dark Mode!
    dewme
  • Reply 13 of 26
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    smarky said:

Just for "goth" mode. No. It is not worth it. 

cecil4444 said:

It doesn't matter if it's on a partition of your internal drive or installed on an external drive - anything attached to your computer (and mounted) is accessible by the beta OS. So, if something wonky happens it could affect all your drives.

If you only have one computer and want to play around with the beta, your best and safest bet, is back up your entire system onto an external drive and then detach it from your computer anytime you want to play with the beta. This keeps everything safe and provides you with a
    working drive that you can reattach and boot from anytime you need it - including to restore from.
  • Reply 14 of 26
    Any word on what Macs are officially supported? I have a MacBook Pro Early 2011. I’ve heard that it’s not supported but can’t find any information to confirm it.
  • Reply 15 of 26
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Any word on what Macs are officially supported? I have a MacBook Pro Early 2011. I’ve heard that it’s not supported but can’t find any information to confirm it.
    edited June 2018
  • Reply 16 of 26
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    Got it running on a VM, and a spare external SSD. Haven't had a real chance to run at it. yet, but it seems to run OK. Looking forward to doing some serious testing with it.
  • Reply 17 of 26
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    smarky said:
    Haha I literally messaged a few people right after the keynote saying "OMG GOTH MODE IS COMING!"
  • Reply 18 of 26
    lowededwookielowededwookie Posts: 1,143member
    Soli said:
    That’s not really an official list is it because it’s from AppleInsider not Apple. I’m trying to find the official information but I can’t see it on Apple’s site
  • Reply 19 of 26
    CheeseFreezeCheeseFreeze Posts: 1,249member
    paxman said:
    Every OS update always comes with somewhat gimmicky new features that are exploited for marketing purposes, but which I personally end up never using. Handoff is one such feature. I loved the idea but I just never ended up using it ever. 
    Handoff may not be needed more than a couple of times a week, but I need it I absolutely love it. From cross device copy/paste to continuing mails, it’s awesome.
  • Reply 20 of 26
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    lkrupp said:
    smarky said:
    Whatever you do don’t try any beta anything on your main computer, the one you depend on daily to get things done. A public beta should, in theory at least, be relatively stable but never assume that. If you just must try it out then install it on a drive or partition other than your main boot drive. You can even migrate your main system to the test drive to see if things are working but don’t EVER let a beta anywhere near your working system. 
    I'd say that's going too far with the warnings.  Once a user understands Volumes in Containers as opposed to HFS+ Partitions, you can easily make a new volume and instal a beta Mojave there on your main computer and have fun.  Option held at start to chose which.  The big caveat is under no circumstances set Photos to use the same Library with it set to System Library from Mohave's Photos, it's a one way upgrade.  That said it works fine if you select Optimize.  

The great thing as I am sure you know, the new volume (which you do not allocate any pre determined size for if you have a brain)  takes zero space and dynamically grows and shrinks as required so even on a small 256 GB SSD many MBPs have you can usually play with this beta.  These new volumes are almost instant to create and delete.
    edited June 2018 fastasleep