Sketchy rumor claims 2018 iPhones will sport both embedded Apple SIMs and standard SIM tra...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 24
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member
    Will the eSim be physically present or is part of the move to Intel modems so Apple can use Secure Enclave as a virtual  eSim?

Paving the way for multi stored even active sim IDs in the same device. Also hopefully paving way for smaller SIM card free X like phone. 
    caladanian
  • Reply 22 of 24
    Rayz2016 said:
    nunzy said:
     Why doesn't Apple just eliminate the SIM card all together? 
    Because the telecom outfits don’t like eSims. They make it too easy to change provider. 
    Still wonder why apple even bothers to "partner" with telecoms companies at all. Just release the phone sim-free supporting as much bands as possible; telecoms providers will allow it on their network or risk losing millions of customers. All these exclusivity parterships do is exclude some customers (e.g. AT&T in US in the beginning or currently EE in the UK).
  • Reply 23 of 24
    crossladcrosslad Posts: 527member
    tzterri said:
    They should also remove all buttons and the screen. :-/
    I can see a point where there will be no buttons or ports on a phone. With wireless charging, airdrop and Bluetooth we do not really need ports. On screen controls mean we can ditch the volume keys and I could see the HTC squeeze function replacing the power button. I think this is the minimalist design that Jonny Ive is working towards. 
  • Reply 24 of 24
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    crosslad said:
    tzterri said:
    They should also remove all buttons and the screen. :-/
    I can see a point where there will be no buttons or ports on a phone. With wireless charging, airdrop and Bluetooth we do not really need ports. On screen controls mean we can ditch the volume keys and I could see the HTC squeeze function replacing the power button. I think this is the minimalist design that Jonny Ive is working towards. 
    Even the Watch Watch has a port and I think we're a long way off before removing the Lightning port in favor of a hidden diagnostics port will be warranted when you consider the pros and cons.

As for buttons, I don't see the volume and sleep/wake buttons going away so that it's all just on-screen controls. I don't see how Apple will be able to make that a good user experience and I don't see how you'd even turn the device on without at least one physical button. Even the Apple Watch as two.
    edited July 2018