13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 48
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member

ElCapitan said:
    KITA said:
    linkman said:
    KITA said:
    Referencing old Surface failures, or the Zune, is just silly at this point. They're well past that stage.
    No they aren't past their failures. I'm seeing a big hardware failure rate at work with the Surface Pro 4 model, which is a very recent model.
    A Surface from 2015 isn't exactly what I would call "very recent".
    Apple would call it that given the Mini and Pro have had no upgrades since 2014 and 2013 respectively. 
    Pro is coming next year as we already know and the mini we'll find out about soon enough, but nice try.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 48
    bestkeptsecretbestkeptsecret Posts: 4,265member
    ElCapitan said:
    KITA said:
    linkman said:
    KITA said:
    Referencing old Surface failures, or the Zune, is just silly at this point. They're well past that stage.
    No they aren't past their failures. I'm seeing a big hardware failure rate at work with the Surface Pro 4 model, which is a very recent model.
    Apple would call it that given the Mini and Pro have had no upgrades since 2014 and 2013 respectively. 

Is this an example of "Whataboutism"?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 43 of 48
    LatkoLatko Posts: 398member

ElCapitan said:
    KITA said:
    linkman said:
    KITA said:
    Pro is coming next year as we already know and the mini we'll find out about soon enough, but nice try.
    Don't forget about the venerable Airpower at $170.
    It will change the computing landscape forever
    edited July 2018
  • Reply 44 of 48
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Reading these comments -- pretty much all condemning a product on the basis that it isn't an Apple Product -- "If it's not Apple and especially if it's Microsoft, it garbage" seems to be the mantra.

Thankfully, Apple itself has never taken on that level of hubris.   Steve knew the value of humility and that, despite his confidence in his organization, it's success and the failure of others was never a guarantee...

The great ones always respect their opponents and judge their products on their merits.  Thankfully, Apple still seems to have carried on that tradition of humility.
    You're ignoring the fact that has been pointed out multiple times, this seems to be by all measures a product MS already announced — the Courier — almost a decade ago and never shipped. Not to mention Ballmer's iPhone comments, the subsequent morbidly late and doomed release of Windows Phone, and their failure to capture much of the tablet market. But sure, let's wait and see!

The "Steve knew..." is getting dangerously close to a "If Steve were alive..." 
    Reading off a litany of Microsoft failures to prove that THIS product MUST fail, pretty much proves my point about hubris.

And, I am sorry, to point out that Steve was smart enough to avoid that trap and, as I pointed out, hopefully Apple will continue that tradition.

But, we live in a free country.   You can pretend that Apple cannot ever fail and Microsoft cannot ever succeed if it gives you comfort....
  • Reply 45 of 48
    dedgecko said:
    THE COURIER LIVES!!  One of the other crazy concepts that came out of MSFT labs but was shelved cuz it didn’t run office. 
    I can't believe more ppl didn't comment about the Courier. I got my hopes up so much for that thing before it transpired it was merely vaporware - not even physically possible to build at the time.

I still like the clam-shell idea; I still play a 3DS from time to time and prefer it to my son's non-folding 2DS when we battle. I've been tempted many times by GPD's gear but the high-price and lack of warranty put me off once it's in the basket.

This is the GPD Win 2 - full windows 10 in a 6" clamshell design - remote xbox/ps4 play and steam gaming, not to mention all the emulator back catalogues.
  • Reply 46 of 48
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    Mary Jo Foley says this product will probably never come to market...because there isn’t a market for it.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/dont-expect-microsofts-andromeda-this-year-or-maybe-ever/
  • Reply 47 of 48
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    Reading these comments -- pretty much all condemning a product on the basis that it isn't an Apple Product -- "If it's not Apple and especially if it's Microsoft, it garbage" seems to be the mantra.

Thankfully, Apple itself has never taken on that level of hubris.   Steve knew the value of humility and that, despite his confidence in his organization, it's success and the failure of others was never a guarantee...

The great ones always respect their opponents and judge their products on their merits.  Thankfully, Apple still seems to have carried on that tradition of humility.
    You're ignoring the fact that has been pointed out multiple times, this seems to be by all measures a product MS already announced — the Courier — almost a decade ago and never shipped. Not to mention Ballmer's iPhone comments, the subsequent morbidly late and doomed release of Windows Phone, and their failure to capture much of the tablet market. But sure, let's wait and see!

The "Steve knew..." is getting dangerously close to a "If Steve were alive..." 
    Reading off a litany of Microsoft failures to prove that THIS product MUST fail, pretty much proves my point about hubris.

And, I am sorry, to point out that Steve was smart enough to avoid that trap and, as I pointed out, hopefully Apple will continue that tradition.

But, we live in a free country.   You can pretend that Apple cannot ever fail and Microsoft cannot ever succeed if it gives you comfort....
    No, we’re referring solely to what appears to be nearly this exact same product, announced nearly a decade ago. That’s not the same thing as listing a litany of failures, and certainly nothing like the “Reading these comments -- pretty much all condemning a product on the basis that it isn't an Apple Product -- ‘If it's not Apple and especially if it's Microsoft, it garbage’ seems to be the mantra.” you claimed was happening. 
    edited July 2018
  • Reply 48 of 48
    This is a stupid idea, until Apple does it.