Apple releases iOS 11.4.1, HomePod 11.4.1, tvOS 11.4.1 & watchOS 4.3.2 [u]

Posted:
in iOS edited July 2018
Apple on Monday released iOS 11.4.1, HomePod 11.4.1, watchOS 4.3.2 and tvOS 11.4.1, cleaning up most of its major platforms. The iOS update is of particular interest for security conscious users, as it marks the first publicly available firmware to include Apple's new USB Restricted Mode.

All four updates are maintenance releases, smoothing out bugs, performance, and security issues. iOS 11.4.1 can be installed through iTunes, or by using iOS 11's over-the-air Software Update feature. Any associated HomePods should be updated to their new firmware automatically.

Installing watchOS 4.3.2 involves loading the Watch app on a paired iPhone, selecting General, then Software Update. The update process requires that an Apple Watch have at least 50 percent charge, and be sitting on its charger as well as within Bluetooth range.

tvOS 11.4.1 can be installed on the Apple TV or Apple TV 4K. If a set-top isn't set to update automatically, the process can be forced by going into the Settings app, System, and then Software Update.

The only detailed release notes are those for iOS 11.4.1, which indicate that it fixes AirPod tracking in Find My iPhone, and improves the reliability of mail, contact, and note sync for Microsoft Exchange. Anecdotal evidence suggests the update may also solve battery drain some people have experienced.

More importantly, the update incorporates USB Restricted Mode, a security feature that effectively disables hardwired USB data connections to protect user information.

Outside of these, the developer and public beta releases suggested the update would concentrate more on bug fixes and performance improvements, rather than introducing new features. It is likely that Apple would rather save any new additions for iOS 12, tvOS 12, and watchOS 5, which are undergoing beta testing ahead of an expected release this fall.

AppleInsider is looking through the latest operating system releases for any changes, and will report back any findings soon.

Updated with information regarding USB Restricted Mode.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,956member
    I hope they address the Siri bug in HomePod that makes the very useful function of Shopping List virtually UNusable. Half the time it works, the other half she tells you you “haven’t set that up yet.” Supremely frustrating!
    cornchipjahblade
  • Reply 2 of 17
    libertyforalllibertyforall Posts: 1,418member
    How come in 2018 there is STILL no way to search for an app and delete it in that search?!  Basic functionality still not in iOS, very frustrating!!!
    cornchiprazorpitjahblade
  • Reply 3 of 17
    DangDaveDangDave Posts: 98member
    How come in 2018 there is STILL no way to search for an app and delete it in that search?!  Basic functionality still not in iOS, very frustrating!!!
    To manage or delete iOS Apps go to settings->iPhone Storage, wait for your Apps to load, then manage from there. 
    cornchipspace2001Solirazorpitfastasleepjahbladejbdragonmacsince1988
  • Reply 4 of 17
    AI_liasAI_lias Posts: 434member
    Please let other people know whether this improves battery life, or makes it worse. I don't see that in the release notes.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    Mark62Mark62 Posts: 4unconfirmed, member
    I still haven’t updated my HomePod since people complained that the first update changed the bass...asked about it at an Apple store and they had never heard about the problem. AppleInsider sadly didn’t follow up on the issue. I suppose I’ll just eventually take the plunge in order to get new features,,,
  • Reply 6 of 17
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    Hopefully this fixes the battery issues some have been having. iOS 11 seems like one of the buggiest releases yet. iOS 12 PB is so much better.
    MisterKit
  • Reply 7 of 17
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,948member
    Wonder if it’s fixes the share hang up on my iPad Pro. Doesn’t happen on my 5s. 
  • Reply 8 of 17
    zroger73zroger73 Posts: 787member
    I hope they address the Siri bug in HomePod that makes the very useful function of Shopping List virtually UNusable. Half the time it works, the other half she tells you you “haven’t set that up yet.” Supremely frustrating!
    Siri always adds items to my shopping list. Unfortunately, they're often misunderstood. Recently, "ear plugs" was added as "your plugs", "face cream" was added as "ice cream", and my favorite - "Cheesy Enchilada Hamburger Helper" was added as "Cheese inch a lot of hamburger helper".
    Mark62 said:
    I still haven’t updated my HomePod since people complained that the first update changed the bass...asked about it at an Apple store and they had never heard about the problem. AppleInsider sadly didn’t follow up on the issue. I suppose I’ll just eventually take the plunge in order to get new features,,,
    I never noticed any change in bass or sound quality - it still sounds amazing. Unfortunately, I'm still waiting for a firmware that fixes the regular "hard of hearing" issue that occurs within a day or two after each restart. Like clockwork, Siri becomes almost deaf. Unplugging and replugging the device temporarily restores proper operation. After hours of troubleshooting, Apple's solution was a refund. I bought one locally and it does exactly the same thing.

https://www.reddit.com/r/HomePod/comments/7wu97o/siri_suddenly_lost_its_ability_to_hear_me/

https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/7y79rm/deaf_homepod_in_need_of_a_hearing_aid/

This user reports a similar problem and claims that today's update fixed it for him. I had hoped that for the last two updates, but it always works perfect for a day or two after a restart, so it's still too soon to tell for me.
    Mark62
  • Reply 9 of 17
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    AI_lias said:
    Please let other people know whether this improves battery life, or makes it worse. I don't see that in the release notes.
    You didn’t see it in release notes because it’s not an issue. After every iOS update there’s a bell curve of users complaining about  decreased battery life. As time passes those reports dwindle as people figure out what was happening. I have updated every time and have never experienced increased battery drain. Don’t assume something is real by reading anecdotes online.
    edited July 2018
  • Reply 10 of 17
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,292member
    lkrupp said:
    AI_lias said:
    You didn’t see it in release notes because it’s not an issue. After every iOS update there’s a bell curve of users complaining about  decreased battery life. As time passes those reports dwindle as people figure out what was happening. I have updated every time and have never experienced increased battery drain. Don’t assume something is real by reading anecdotes online.
    Sorry, but just not correct this time...

Usually I'm in the same boat as you, with no battery issues, but this time even my iPhone X, a friends' iPhone 7, and another iPhone 6s Plus, all had MASSIVE drain, even though they were updated in full via iTunes and not OTA. Utilities to check SoC load on these phones showed CPU idle had increased from averages of 1.8-3% had jumped to 10-20%, so don't tell me this isn't an issue.

11.4.1 on my iPX seems ok, but too soon to tell if the battery is better, will have to wait and see.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Is it possible the CPU load is increased right after an update because the phone is actually working to rebuild it's search files? (I don't know... just guessing here.). 
    Give it a few hours (or even the next day) and see if that CPU idle isn't back to "normal".
    AI_lias
  • Reply 12 of 17
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    lkrupp said:
    AI_lias said:
    Sorry, but just not correct this time...

Usually I'm in the same boat as you, with no battery issues, but this time even my iPhone X, a friends' iPhone 7, and another iPhone 6s Plus, all had MASSIVE drain, even though they were updated in full via iTunes and not OTA. Utilities to check SoC load on these phones showed CPU idle had increased from averages of 1.8-3% had jumped to 10-20%, so don't tell me this isn't an issue.

11.4.1 on my iPX seems ok, but too soon to tell if the battery is better, will have to wait and see.
    Yep, I've had watchOS "updates" eat my battery completely within a couple of hours. 

Always wait a while before updating. Read the reports here, then decide in a few days. And then be prepared for problems. I won't update my watch during the week.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,921member
    Hopefully this fixes the battery issues some have been having. iOS 11 seems like one of the buggiest releases yet. iOS 12 PB is so much better.
    My wife’s iphone has been having issues with the photos app completly sucking the battery, frequently using in excess of 40% of the battery, even if she doesn’t have it open. An apple support discussion I’m subscribed to sent an update that someone found 11.4.1 to help the issue. 

Then I saw a news report this morning about others having battery issues with 11.4.1. 

I’d follow Eightzero’s advice - wait a week or two to update. There’s nothing huge in this update. Everyone is making a big deal of the USB restricted mode, but how many people really need to worry about Cellebrite hacking their phone?
  • Reply 14 of 17
    mnbob1mnbob1 Posts: 269member
    What are the chances this will be the last release of WatchOS for the original Apple Watch since version 5.0 is for Apple Watch 2 and above. 
  • Reply 15 of 17
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Mark62 said:
    Exactly how do you not update your HomePod?

This from this very article:

"All four updates are maintenance releases, smoothing out bugs, performance, and security issues. iOS 11.4.1 can be installed through iTunes, or by using iOS 11's over-the-air Software Update feature. Any associated HomePods should be updated to their new firmware automatically."
    edited July 2018
  • Reply 16 of 17
    You just go into the Home app and switch off automatic updates 
  • Reply 17 of 17
    MacPro said:
    Mark62 said:
    Exactly how do you not update your HomePod?

This from this very article:

"All four updates are maintenance releases, smoothing out bugs, performance, and security issues. iOS 11.4.1 can be installed through iTunes, or by using iOS 11's over-the-air Software Update feature. Any associated HomePods should be updated to their new firmware automatically."
    You just go into the Home app and switch off auto updates for HomePod.
    edited July 2018