The 2018 six-core MacBook Pro with eGPU gives the iMac Pro a run for its money

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 23
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    Geert NYC said:
    The iMac Pro with 8 cores, 32GB RAM and 1 TB SSD is the base model costing $4,999, not $5,599 as the article states.
    We're comparing Vega 64 models. Thanks for the note, though, I'll clean it up a bit.
    curtis hannah
  • Reply 22 of 23
    KITAKITA Posts: 392member
    tipoo said:
    KITA said:
    Geekbench gives the new 15-inch MacBook Pro a score of 5306 for single-core operations and 22555 for multi-core. 
    Yes, when it's not throttling. For those unaware, Geekbench includes pauses to prevent thermal throttling.

Don't PC laptops do the same thing? Isn't that a function built into the Intel processor? Have any comparisons to offer?

The XPS 15 and likely anything in a competitive size do throttle like that. Understandably something larger with more heatsink size and fan diameter would do better, like the chunky M4800 I had. 

Unless I'm mistaken, the Dell XPS is made of plastic unlike the Apple MacBook Pro which is carved from a solid block of aluminium. Sounds like the largest heatsink that a laptop could ever have.
    The XPS 15 uses carbon fiber and aluminum. The chassis material also doesn't guarantee that the heat is being properly dissipated.
  • Reply 23 of 23
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    One other aspect, though, would be cooling/noise/throttling. An iMac Pro is in a different class (I'd think), if you actually start pushing it. That's my main concern with going MBP... noise and reliability if I actually use it heavily.

tmay said:
    http://austinmann.com/trek/macbook-pro-2018-review

From someone that actually uses his 2018 MBP for real work, not just synthetic benchmarks.
    Nice review! Can you expand more on the noise, as that is something I'm interested in... like maybe description/comparison to previous models or other machines?

jdw said:
    The removal of that slot is little more than Johnny Ive minimalism taken to an extreme.  And I say this as a fan of "reasonable minimalism."  But there's a certain point beyond which practicality and convenience gets stomped upon.  
    It's easy to treat our needs flippantly by saying, "Sorry gents, but Apple will never accommodate you, so get over it."
    Yeah, I also like minimalism, but more of the realism variety, I guess. Apple is making a number of these kinds of decisions recently, which is a bit disturbing.

While I agree with Mike that we'll likely not see one (17"), I also agree with you that there is too much push-back around here for reasonable requests that need to be heard. I'm not sure about a 17" screen necessarily, but I can see the wish for a model with the ports and such... just like the need for 32GB. It was also said we wouldn't be seeing that. Maybe the outcry was heard by Apple and responded to?

commentzilla said:
    USB-C is backward compatible with USB-A. Just change the $5 cable. No dongle required.

The same goes for HDMI. Just change the cable or a $5 adapter. No dongle required because Thunderbolt carries several different protocols such as PCIe for the eGPU.

Plus, a single mini-dock can easily cover all of the missing ports, all of which will eventually be replaced by TB-3/USB-C.
    Maybe it's easier, though, to just take the SD card and plug it into the side of your machine, vs dig the adapter out of your bag (which you have to lug along)? Or, it's easier to just plug the USB-A memory stick *everyone* still has into the side of your machine, vs dig the adapter out of your bag (which you have to lug along)?

I'm sorry, but this whole USB-C argument is rather silly until we start seeing more actual USB-C devices in the real world that we'd want to plug in. And, that will be around the time we probably start to see actual USB-C hubs being sold to plug in those multiple USB-C devices we all have (that we currently don't).

Plus, as some have noted, these external ports are often not as reliable as the internal ports they replaced, were. For example, most internal Ethernet ports are rock-solid, never fail, etc. The 'dongle' ones can be problematic.

Maybe someday, we'll have lots of USB-C peripherals around, and some manufactures making high-quality USB-C hubs, docks, and adapters. Until that day, this is an irritation we're having to put up with so Apple can attempt to push that technology (arguably a good thing), and fulfill their few-ports fetish.

jdw said:
    I have zero connectivity issues on the larger USB-A ports.  And while I don't own any USB-C machines myself, I have read some user reports of signal issues when the cables are jiggled.
    Yep, same issue with the whole 3.5mm to Lightning port thing. Lightning just isn't as mechanically reliable. I hadn't thought about this much with USB-C, but since my son got his MBP, I'm also thinking... man, that's kind of a crappy connector. I'm hoping the 'handle' housing on these eventually gets less long. As they are now, they put tremendous mechanical pressure on a very tiny port.

GeorgeBMac said:
    The MBP with a docking station/eGPU and 27" monitor provides flexibility and convenience FOR MOST USERS.
    Too often reviews (over)focus on speed, performance, capacity, etc.   But, for most people:   cost, convenience and flexibility count for more.
    Yeah, that's what is weighing on my decision right now. (Plus, the fact that the iMac Pro costs considerably more money.) Can I get by with the laptop, which comes with both some positives and negatives. Or, in my case, go with some kind of lesser desktop situation and maybe iPad/other-laptop combo for mobile. This is being magnified by the fact that the only real seeming alternative is a 2013 Mac Pro... which would actually be slower in a number of ways (though maybe more quiet and reliable).

I thought I had my mind made up... but this now complicates things (maybe in a good way). :)
    jdw