Complete 2018 MacBook Pro teardown shows off six-cell battery, bigger speakers

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    This is the machine I want to buy.
    watto_cobrawilliamlondon
  • Reply 22 of 33
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    So, when will the MacBook get wireless charging?
    williamlondon
  • Reply 23 of 33
    YP101YP101 Posts: 160member
    I rather have 2 PCI-E SSD slot then on board speaker. I hardly ever use laptop speaker these days.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 24 of 33
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    A 15W charge wirelessly makes no sense for a 30, 60, or 87W computer. Maybe on the MacBook first, if at all.
    edited July 2018 cgWerks
  • Reply 25 of 33
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    A 15W charge wirelessly makes no sense for a 30, 60, or 87W computer. Maybe on the MacBook first, if at all.
    I'd say an answer to his question would be: At least not until there are Qi chargers that than output high enough to support notebook power needs.

Even then, there would have to be a need for it for it to become a reality. I'd love to see hotels, coffee shops, airports, etc. adopt Qi charging since USB ports in these places freak me out (from a security standpoint); and now that Mac notebooks are USB-C that will eventually become an issue when they add USB-C ports that support up to 100W, but that's still a long ways off as we still don't have USB-C ports for all the Android-based devices that could still sllowly recharge at a measly 5W.
    Alex1N
  • Reply 26 of 33
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    How do they make the tiny little speakers sound so good?
    williamlondonGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 27 of 33
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    ascii said:
    Probably the same way they can make a speaker the size of HomePod sound better than some larger speaker that cost twice as much. I'd say they have some pretty smart engineers working on audio. Not a bad thing if you ask me. I've always like the audio of the iMac as well and it seems like every update they make them sound better and better. 
    williamlondonAlex1N
  • Reply 28 of 33
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member
    This confirms something I've thought but the opposite keeps getting repeated online. The dual SSD modules in the iMac Pro aren't a RAID, because there's only one drive controller, the T2's real time encryption by itself makes for this speed, as the Macbook Pros now do this with a single bank of NAND. 
  • Reply 29 of 33
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    mretondo said:
    wood1208 said:
    Everyone talks this and that about new 2018 MBP but if there is not enough complains, push back for Apple not offering Function Keys MBP than Apple will assume no one cares and Apple will kill it. One that happens than it's too late to make your voice heard. .
    There weren't too many complaints apparently, the MBP's with function keeps only sold to 1 or 48 MBP buyers. That told Apple everything they need about function keys. 
    The problem is the non-TouchBar models are nerf'd, so only those who don't know that would buy them. Self-fulfilling prophecy, and says nothing about TouchBars being better.
    Alex1N
  • Reply 30 of 33

chasm said:
    Secondly, all the touchbar models can switch to function keys at one touch.
    Unless you want... you know... keys! ;)
  • Reply 31 of 33

AF_Hitt said:
     I would also like to see just how many people complaining about the lack of Fn keys actually used the Fn keys as anything other than brightness/volume/music control buttons.
    Probably very few. But, if I could order the exact same MBP with or without TouchBar, I'd order the non-TouchBar. (In part, because using brightness, volume, etc. is easier on it.)
    Alex1N
  • Reply 32 of 33
    ascii said:
    Better audio quality got quite a boost in 2011 with the hiring of innovative inventor Tomlinson Holman, a genius audio design engineer with a long, outstanding pedigree including being the inventor of THX. In 2015 they added Mike Rockwell, formerly EVP of Dolby’s Advanced Technology Group and CTO of Avid before that. 

And no doubt dozens of other great team members. 
    edited July 2018 asciiwilliamlondon
  • Reply 33 of 33
    ascii said:
    Better audio quality got quite a boost in 2011 with the hiring of innovative inventor Tomlinson Holman, a genius audio design engineer with a long, outstanding pedigree including being the inventor of THX. In 2015 they added Mike Rockwell, formerly EVP of Dolby’s Advanced Technology Group and CTO of Avid before that. 

And no doubt dozens of other great team members. 
    I think it is a combination of that, and that the bar has dropped in what constitutes good audio quality to most people. They sound good for what they are, but it's kind of sad that few people (including me) have a nice amp and reasonably good floor speakers anymore (like families did a generation or two ago).