What to expect in Apple's fiscal third quarter earnings report

Comments

• Reply 41 of 63
    lkrupp said:
    Meanwhile I’m watching CNBC talk about Samsung brining in disappointing numbers because the S9 is a flop. Will that make the national news? Will Samsung be labeled beleaguered? Nope. That terminology is reserved exclusively for Apple. Funny how many here said the iPhone X would flop and it was the S9 that flopped instead. 
    It is not only Apple that is treated like that.
    There are literally dozens of reports that say that Tesla is "Bankwupt" and will close down by the end of the year.
    There are lots of similarities in how certain parts of the media portray Apple and Tesla. There are whole sections of Wall St that would get out the ticker-tape if either one were to file for Chapter 11.
    Then parts of the media would go apoplectic and possibly meltdown.
  • Reply 42 of 63
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,362member
    lkrupp said:
    Meanwhile I’m watching CNBC talk about Samsung brining in disappointing numbers because the S9 is a flop. Will that make the national news? Will Samsung be labeled beleaguered? Nope. That terminology is reserved exclusively for Apple. Funny how many here said the iPhone X would flop and it was the S9 that flopped instead. 
    There are literally dozens of reports that say that Tesla is "Bankwupt" and will close down by the end of the year.
    There are lots of similarities in how certain parts of the media portray Apple and Tesla. There are whole sections of Wall St that would get out the ticker-tape if either one were to file for Chapter 11.
    Tesla is not Apple, and Tesla does have a good chance of Chapter 11 simply from the inability to execute manufacturing without burning cash.

The rest of the bad news is that Tesla is shipping poor quality, orders are being canceled, especially since their isn't the possibility of a $35K Model 3, and plenty of competition is coming on line, including Mercedes, Audi, Jaguar, and Porsche, not to mention Nissan at the low end.

Tesla's window of opportunity is almost closed.
  • Reply 43 of 63
    drewys808drewys808 Posts: 549member
    avon b7 said:
    I didn’t say anything about high quality. I specifically talked about raising prices. I was just looking back at a headline from 2005: Apple Unveils Faster, More Affordable PowerBooks. Aside from the $329 iPad when has Apple recently announced something new that was more affordable? I guess the iPhone SE but that’s several years old now. iPad Pro line was created so Apple could raise upper end pricing of iPad. iPhone X raised the price of the top of the line iPhone to over $1,000. Touch Bar raised the price of Macs and currently if you want a new Mac without the Touch Bar you’re out of luck. A top of the line 15” MBP with Final Cut and Logic is over $7,000. Seems Apple’s MO now with slowing sales is to increase prices or find other ways to extract more money out of existing customers.
    You are right.

If people see value in the products resulting from that strategy, that is their decision.

Personally, I see no value in having $300 added to the price of a 15" MBP for a TouchBar if I don't want one. I see no value in a machine that has the top case, battery and keyboard requiring swapping out if one of those elements fails. I see no value in having to BTO everything I need into a machine at purchase time and only having upgrade options from Apple. And on top of that I find the MBPs ridiculously overpriced.

Apple is squeezing all it can out of the top end and not offering the value I need. At the other end it is selling very old hardware so again value is lost. The cheapest new generation 15" MBP I can buy is 2,799€. Something is wrong.

It was right to try that avenue of opening the product spread and prices but if people don't buy into that idea, things will have to change.
    You both spew FUD. And while most of us here would be the first to agree that there are some issues with some of the products, we also understand the magnitude of the ecosystem and platform that Apple has evolved into.  Any idiot can cry “foul” when a company is profitable.  If you look deeper into the fundamental reason Apple is successful, it’s based on value to the customer and expansion of products and SERVICES.  So instead of trying to find something to complain about, first dive deeper into the root causes.  It’s just lazy thinking to “blame” some scary character draped in black, sinister and conniving.  
  • Reply 44 of 63
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    lkrupp said:
    I find it curious that certain Apple fans get all excited because revenue and profits are up due to higher prices. As a consumer why should I be excited that a company is charging more for their products?
    Because profitable companies that build high quality products tend to stay in business for long periods of time. I bought my first Apple product 36 years ago and it still works. That you set yourself apart from Apple fans begs a number of questions about your motives here.
    Not at all. If I buy a product from any company, I'm thinking about the use it will give me and the support I will get. If it is to keep them healthy for the next 36 years I'm getting a rough deal. For that they should throw some shares into the deal!

Apple has accumulated more than 250 billion in cash over the last decade. Most of it sits unused. I don't see the consumer getting a good deal out of that. Other companies have been wildly successful for equally long without accumulating such a cash hoard and provide equally good products and services, if not better.
    Only in Bizzarro World do we penalize a company for saving the profit it made from delivering value to happy customers. Nicely done! Move them goalposts! The new metric for success — lack of cash!

I’ve seen some stupid troll logic on this site before, but that one is really up there. 
    No. Profit is NOT the issue but you knew already didn't you?

So what is the issue?

Just read my post. It is crystal clear. BTW, I was rounding the numbers out. The current cash pile is closer to 280 billion dollars.

Apple already has plans to decrease that to net cash flow within five years.

You know what's really cool?

Within a few years, there will be another recession, it's overdue, and Apple will still have $150 to $200 billion cash, and will be able to buy up a shit ton of small IP companies on the cheap, all the while expanding its R&D expenses to create the next generations of products.
    What is your alleged evidence there will be another recession?
  • Reply 45 of 63
    tmay said:
    lkrupp said:
    Tesla is not Apple, and Tesla does have a good chance of Chapter 11 simply from the inability to execute manufacturing without burning cash.

The rest of the bad news is that Tesla is shipping poor quality, orders are being canceled, especially since their isn't the possibility of a $35K Model 3, and plenty of competition is coming on line, including Mercedes, Audi, Jaguar, and Porsche, not to mention Nissan at the low end.

Tesla's window of opportunity is almost closed.
    I agree regarding Tesla. They have been setting their money pile on fire for years and only now is Musk realizing how close to the edge they are riding it. With their firing 3,000 people recently you can tell they are getting more serious about addressing their self-created financial problems, but I personally think they may indeed go belly up in a year or less. They really should've contracted out a large portion of their manufacturing to help fill orders faster.
    edited July 2018
  • Reply 46 of 63
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    lkrupp said:
    I find it curious that certain Apple fans get all excited because revenue and profits are up due to higher prices. As a consumer why should I be excited that a company is charging more for their products?
    Because profitable companies that build high quality products tend to stay in business for long periods of time. I bought my first Apple product 36 years ago and it still works. That you set yourself apart from Apple fans begs a number of questions about your motives here.
    Not at all. If I buy a product from any company, I'm thinking about the use it will give me and the support I will get. If it is to keep them healthy for the next 36 years I'm getting a rough deal. For that they should throw some shares into the deal!

Apple has accumulated more than 250 billion in cash over the last decade. Most of it sits unused. I don't see the consumer getting a good deal out of that. Other companies have been wildly successful for equally long without accumulating such a cash hoard and provide equally good products and services, if not better.
    Only in Bizzarro World do we penalize a company for saving the profit it made from delivering value to happy customers. Nicely done! Move them goalposts! The new metric for success — lack of cash!

I’ve seen some stupid troll logic on this site before, but that one is really up there. 

So what is the issue?

Just read my post. It is crystal clear. BTW, I was rounding the numbers out. The current cash pile is closer to 280 billion dollars.

Within a few years, there will be another recession, it's overdue, and Apple will still have $150 to $200 billion cash, and will be able to buy up a shit ton of small IP companies on the cheap, all the while expanding its R&D expenses to create the next generations of products.
    No evidence, just watching little signs, but mostly, we have had an expanding economy since 2009, and that isn't going to last forever. My prediction, and I'm no expert, is that the signs of a recession will occur sometime around or after 2020. but certainly within 5 years.

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2018-06-29/next-u-s-recession-will-be-triggered-by-something-unexpected
  • Reply 47 of 63
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    lkrupp said:

So what is the issue?

Any number of reasons, but the most likely is just that the world's economies are overheated, and it has been 10 years since the start of the last recession. The tariff's just throw uncertainty into the equation, which few businesses like. 

I'd expect to see real signs or recessionary pressures by 2020, and would almost guarantee a recession in 5 years, just on the basis of history. It could be mild, though it really depends on who will need to be bailed out at the time.
  • Reply 48 of 63
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,739member
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    lkrupp said:
    Because profitable companies that build high quality products tend to stay in business for long periods of time. I bought my first Apple product 36 years ago and it still works. That you set yourself apart from Apple fans begs a number of questions about your motives here. If I like the keyboard on the MacBook Pro and you hate it that makes me the fanboy and you the reasoned critic? 
    I didn’t say anything about high quality. I specifically talked about raising prices. I was just looking back at a headline from 2005: Apple Unveils Faster, More Affordable PowerBooks. Aside from the $329 iPad when has Apple recently announced something new that was more affordable? I guess the iPhone SE but that’s several years old now. iPad Pro line was created so Apple could raise upper end pricing of iPad. iPhone X raised the price of the top of the line iPhone to over $1,000. Touch Bar raised the price of Macs and currently if you want a new Mac without the Touch Bar you’re out of luck. A top of the line 15” MBP with Final Cut and Logic is over $7,000. Seems Apple’s MO now with slowing sales is to increase prices or find other ways to extract more money out of existing customers.
    You are right.

If people see value in the products resulting from that strategy, that is their decision.

Personally, I see no value in having $300 added to the price of a 15" MBP for a TouchBar if I don't want one. I see no value in a machine that has the top case, battery and keyboard requiring swapping out if one of those elements fails. I see no value in having to BTO everything I need into a machine and only having upgrade options from Apple. And in top of that I find the MBPs ridiculously overpriced.

Apple is squeezing all it can out of the top end and not offering the value I need. At the other end it is selling very old hardware so again value is lost. The cheapest new generation 15" MBP I can buy is 2,799€. Something is wrong.

It was right to try that avenue of opening the product spread and prices but if people don't buy into that idea, things will have to change.
    Why do things have to change? Apple is doing quite well with it's current MBP models, the customers, for the most part, do in fact "buy into the idea", and whatever awaits the Mac Mini, or Mac Pro won't happen until next year. There is a vocal minority clamoring for the ESC key, so maybe Apple will compromise with a shorter Touch Bar with a dedicated ESC key in the future,

Apple surely knows its customers, and they aren't going to build MBP's for the outliers. In your case, you are already half out of the Apple ecosystem anyway, and most of your Apple gear is deprecated. The Huawei Mate X Pro that you were so effusive about awaits your purchase, and I'm sure you could find a suitable Huawei Tablet so you can be all Huawei that you can be!
    Well, we more or less agree. Hats off to you old bean!
  • Reply 49 of 63
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    lkrupp said:

So what is the issue?

Any number of reasons, but the most likely is just that the world's economies are overheated, and it has been 10 years since the start of the last recession. The tariff's just throw uncertainty into the equation, which few businesses like. 

I'd expect to see real signs or recessionary pressures by 2020, and would almost guarantee a recession in 5 years, just on the basis of history. It could be mild, though it really depends on who will need to be bailed out at the time.
    Sorry, I don't buy the reasoning.
  • Reply 50 of 63
  • Reply 51 of 63
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    lkrupp said:

So what is the issue?

Then you needn't worry about it.

https://money.cnn.com/2018/01/30/news/economy/us-economy-boom-history/index.html
    edited July 2018
  • Reply 52 of 63
    tmay said:

avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    lkrupp said:
    Because profitable companies that build high quality products tend to stay in business for long periods of time. I bought my first Apple product 36 years ago and it still works. That you set yourself apart from Apple fans begs a number of questions about your motives here. If I like the keyboard on the MacBook Pro and you hate it that makes me the fanboy and you the reasoned critic? 
    I'm not actually seeing the "slowing sales" as much as a "flattening" of sales, something that would be expected for mature product lines like the iPad, Mac, Mac Book Pro, and iPhone. So when Apple does diversity its product lineup to provide a wider range of performance and features, and prices accordingly, I'm not seeing a problem with customers willingly purchasing those same products.
    Flattening sales is a result of slowing sales.

The products may well be mature but the PC market (Mac/PC), smartphone market (iOS/Android) and tablet market (iOS/Android) are huge and Apple has huge room to grow in that space. They haven't, hence the slowing sales growth or flat sales.

Yes, Apple has widened its product spread in some areas and opened up price ranges. As a result of slowing/flattening sales. A wise decision even though some here said Apple would never do that.
    Here's a story you will like;

http://appleinsider.com/articles/18/07/31/apple-maintains-sales-volume-in-plummeting-chinese-smartphone-market

So your fave Huawei is gobbling up share in China, all this in a "plummeting" market, and Apple's sales have flattened. 

Betcha that Huawei has some major acquisition costs associated with that marketshare grab, but who cares, right?
    It would be nice to see widespread distribution in the US. That would really put the cat amongst the Samsung and Apple pigeons.

It is claimed that AT&T spent a full year tuning the Kirin 970 to its network and that the deal was signed, with trucks full of Huawei flagships ready to begin distribution, on the day of the CES announcement. It is very unlikely that AT&T got cold feet but the phones ARE available (they are not banned) so read into that whatever you want or take it from the horse's mouth:

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/25/huawei-us-issues-rivals-using-politics-to-kick-it-out-of-us-richard-yu.html

The upshot is that Huawei/Honor has pushed even harder into some of Apple's core markets and is getting results. Even in Apple strongholds like the UK. They are also pushing harder in developing markets. Half year revenues were announced today and they are up 15% YoY. They reached the 100 million handset mark in record time this year, Honor has seen very strong growth in the €500+ segment. Both the Honor 10 and P20 Series have broken records and the MateBook X Pro is almost permanently out of stock worldwide.

Honor will have another flagship ready to go in August and the Mate 20 will be announced in around eight weeks.

They have even increased already high R&D budgets by a few billion.

That's more or less how things stand today. No one knows what tomorrow holds but I'd say Apple has its work cut out which can only be good for us - consumers.

Not only Apple but Samsung too.

And I'd love for Huawei to get bitten by those below it, too.

It is not my 'beloved' Huawei. One of my clients had her Huawei phone stolen recently and she was very happy with it. She wanted a new Huawei but there were no good offers when she was in the market and she couldn't wait things out. She went to a few stores and found Oppo giving good promotions. I didn't stand in her way even though I had a veto on that sale and influence many others. They don't all go to Huawei.

• Reply 53 of 63
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    lkrupp said:

So what is the issue?

https://money.cnn.com/2018/01/30/news/economy/us-economy-boom-history/index.html
    I find CNN uniquely unqualified to offer up opinions.
  • Reply 54 of 63
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:

avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    lkrupp said:
    I'm not actually seeing the "slowing sales" as much as a "flattening" of sales, something that would be expected for mature product lines like the iPad, Mac, Mac Book Pro, and iPhone. So when Apple does diversity its product lineup to provide a wider range of performance and features, and prices accordingly, I'm not seeing a problem with customers willingly purchasing those same products.

The products may well be mature but the PC market (Mac/PC), smartphone market (iOS/Android) and tablet market (iOS/Android) are huge and Apple has huge room to grow in that space. They haven't, hence the slowing sales growth or flat sales.

Yes, Apple has widened its product spread in some areas and opened up price ranges. As a result of slowing/flattening sales. A wise decision even though some here said Apple would never do that.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/18/07/31/apple-maintains-sales-volume-in-plummeting-chinese-smartphone-market

So your fave Huawei is gobbling up share in China, all this in a "plummeting" market, and Apple's sales have flattened. 

Betcha that Huawei has some major acquisition costs associated with that marketshare grab, but who cares, right?
    It would be nice to see widespread distribution in the US. That would really put the cat amongst the Samsung and Apple pigeons.

It is claimed that AT&T spent a full year tuning the Kirin 970 to its network and that the deal was signed, with trucks full of Huawei flagships ready to begin distribution, on the day of the CES announcement. It is very unlikely that AT&T got cold feet but the phones ARE available (they are not banned) so read into that whatever you want or take it from the horse's mouth:

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/25/huawei-us-issues-rivals-using-politics-to-kick-it-out-of-us-richard-yu.html

The upshot is that Huawei/Honor has pushed even harder into some of Apple's core markets and is getting results. Even in Apple strongholds like the UK. They are also pushing harder in developing markets. Half year revenues were announced today and they are up 15% YoY. They reached the 100 million handset mark in record time this year, Honor has seen very strong growth in the €500+ segment. Both the Honor 10 and P20 Series have broken records and the MateBook X Pro is almost permanently out of stock worldwide.

Honor will have another flagship ready to go in August and the Mate 20 will be announced in around eight weeks.

That's more or less how things stand today. No one knows what tomorrow holds but I'd say Apple has its work cut out which can only be good for us - consumers.

It is not my 'beloved' Huawei. One of my clients had her Huawei phone stolen recently and she was very happy with it. She wanted a new Huawei but there were no good offers when she was in the market and she couldn't wait things out. She went to a few stores and found Oppo giving good promotions. I didn't stand in her way even though I had a veto on that sale and influence many others. They don't all go to Huawei.

Huawei isn't banned in the U.S. for anything other than security reasons, and while that certainly involves politics, it isn't at all due to restraint of trade. Individuals are still allowed to buy and use Huawei, but carriers were "dissuaded" from carrying Huawei by National Security officials, and the few carriers that have any Huawei telecom equipment will have to swap out to something else.

That's just the facts.
  • Reply 55 of 63
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    lkrupp said:

So what is the issue?

Those are facts, not opinions.

Easy to check facts, right?
  • Reply 56 of 63
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:

avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    lkrupp said:

Huawei isn't banned in the U.S. for anything other than security reasons, and while that certainly involves politics, it isn't at all due to restraint of trade. Individuals are still allowed to buy and use Huawei, but carriers were "dissuaded" from carrying Huawei by National Security officials, and the few carriers that have any Huawei telecom equipment will have to swap out to something else.

That's just the facts.
    Fact eh?

Ok, Let's settle on 'defacto' ban. ;-)
  • Reply 57 of 63
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    lkrupp said:

So what is the issue?

I find it shocking CNN would even allow this to be published.
  • Reply 58 of 63
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    lkrupp said:

So what is the issue?

I find it shocking CNN would even allow this to be published.
    The guy in office gets credit for the current economy, good or bad; that's just the way it is.
  • Reply 59 of 63

avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:

avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    lkrupp said:

That's just the facts.
    Fact eh?

No; it's a settled fact that it is a ban for National Security reasons.
    edited July 2018
  • Reply 60 of 63
    tmay said:

avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:

avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    lkrupp said:

That's just the facts.
    Fact eh?

No; it's a settled fact that it is a ban for National Security reasons.
    Ah! You mean those completely unsubstantiated National Security, erm, 'suspicions' from the same people who confused Huawei with another company who just happened to have 'Huawei' in its name?

Huawei handsets are not in any way banned in the US.

It is a defacto ban because Huawei claims US politics closed down distribution channels without actually banning the handsets in any shape or form.