tmay said:

avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:

avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    lkrupp said:
    I find it curious that certain Apple fans get all excited because revenue and profits are up due to higher prices. As a consumer why should I be excited that a company is charging more for their products?
    Because profitable companies that build high quality products tend to stay in business for long periods of time. I bought my first Apple product 36 years ago and it still works. That you set yourself apart from Apple fans begs a number of questions about your motives here. If I like the keyboard on the MacBook Pro and you hate it that makes me the fanboy and you the reasoned critic? 
    I didn’t say anything about high quality. I specifically talked about raising prices. I was just looking back at a headline from 2005: Apple Unveils Faster, More Affordable PowerBooks. Aside from the $329 iPad when has Apple recently announced something new that was more affordable? I guess the iPhone SE but that’s several years old now. iPad Pro line was created so Apple could raise upper end pricing of iPad. iPhone X raised the price of the top of the line iPhone to over $1,000. Touch Bar raised the price of Macs and currently if you want a new Mac without the Touch Bar you’re out of luck. A top of the line 15” MBP with Final Cut and Logic is over $7,000. Seems Apple’s MO now with slowing sales is to increase prices or find other ways to extract more money out of existing customers.
    I'm not actually seeing the "slowing sales" as much as a "flattening" of sales, something that would be expected for mature product lines like the iPad, Mac, Mac Book Pro, and iPhone. So when Apple does diversity its product lineup to provide a wider range of performance and features, and prices accordingly, I'm not seeing a problem with customers willingly purchasing those same products.
    Flattening sales is a result of slowing sales.

The products may well be mature but the PC market (Mac/PC), smartphone market (iOS/Android) and tablet market (iOS/Android) are huge and Apple has huge room to grow in that space. They haven't, hence the slowing sales growth or flat sales.

Yes, Apple has widened its product spread in some areas and opened up price ranges. As a result of slowing/flattening sales. A wise decision even though some here said Apple would never do that.
    Here's a story you will like;

http://appleinsider.com/articles/18/07/31/apple-maintains-sales-volume-in-plummeting-chinese-smartphone-market

So your fave Huawei is gobbling up share in China, all this in a "plummeting" market, and Apple's sales have flattened. 

Betcha that Huawei has some major acquisition costs associated with that marketshare grab, but who cares, right?
    It would be nice to see widespread distribution in the US. That would really put the cat amongst the Samsung and Apple pigeons.

It is claimed that AT&T spent a full year tuning the Kirin 970 to its network and that the deal was signed, with trucks full of Huawei flagships ready to begin distribution, on the day of the CES announcement. It is very unlikely that AT&T got cold feet but the phones ARE available (they are not banned) so read into that whatever you want or take it from the horse's mouth:

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/25/huawei-us-issues-rivals-using-politics-to-kick-it-out-of-us-richard-yu.html

The upshot is that Huawei/Honor has pushed even harder into some of Apple's core markets and is getting results. Even in Apple strongholds like the UK. They are also pushing harder in developing markets. Half year revenues were announced today and they are up 15% YoY. They reached the 100 million handset mark in record time this year, Honor has seen very strong growth in the €500+ segment. Both the Honor 10 and P20 Series have broken records and the MateBook X Pro is almost permanently out of stock worldwide.

Honor will have another flagship ready to go in August and the Mate 20 will be announced in around eight weeks.

They have even increased already high R&D budgets by a few billion.

That's more or less how things stand today. No one knows what tomorrow holds but I'd say Apple has its work cut out which can only be good for us - consumers.

Not only Apple but Samsung too.

And I'd love for Huawei to get bitten by those below it, too.

It is not my 'beloved' Huawei. One of my clients had her Huawei phone stolen recently and she was very happy with it. She wanted a new Huawei but there were no good offers when she was in the market and she couldn't wait things out. She went to a few stores and found Oppo giving good promotions. I didn't stand in her way even though I had a veto on that sale and influence many others. They don't all go to Huawei.

Huawei isn't banned in the U.S. for anything other than security reasons, and while that certainly involves politics, it isn't at all due to restraint of trade. Individuals are still allowed to buy and use Huawei, but carriers were "dissuaded" from carrying Huawei by National Security officials, and the few carriers that have any Huawei telecom equipment will have to swap out to something else.

That's just the facts.
    Fact eh?

Ok, Let's settle on 'defacto' ban. ;-)
    No; it's a settled fact that it is a ban for National Security reasons.
    Ah! You mean those completely unsubstantiated National Security, erm, 'suspicions' from the same people who confused Huawei with another company who just happened to have 'Huawei' in its name?

Huawei handsets are not in any way banned in the US.

It is a defacto ban because Huawei claims US politics closed down distribution channels without actually banning the handsets in any shape or form.

Huawei Telecom equipment, as well as ZTE's; banned. There's some fine print about deadlines for any existing equipment to be replaced with compliant hardware.

Huawei handsets as well as ZTE's; banned for sale on U.S. Military installations; not yet banned for individual use by a members of the military.

One carrier, that is a noted contractor for various government agencies, declined to offed Huawei handsets, after being advised of the national security implications. 

Seems like the only effect on Huawei's handset sales is that Huawei has to provide all of its own marketing. Surely that isn't much of an expense for such a large company with such massive profitability.

In essence, not much of a ban at all, is it.
    edited July 2018
  • Reply 62 of 63
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,959member
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:

avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:

avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    lkrupp said:
    I find it curious that certain Apple fans get all excited because revenue and profits are up due to higher prices. As a consumer why should I be excited that a company is charging more for their products?
    Because profitable companies that build high quality products tend to stay in business for long periods of time. I bought my first Apple product 36 years ago and it still works. That you set yourself apart from Apple fans begs a number of questions about your motives here. If I like the keyboard on the MacBook Pro and you hate it that makes me the fanboy and you the reasoned critic? 
    I didn’t say anything about high quality. I specifically talked about raising prices. I was just looking back at a headline from 2005: Apple Unveils Faster, More Affordable PowerBooks. Aside from the $329 iPad when has Apple recently announced something new that was more affordable? I guess the iPhone SE but that’s several years old now. iPad Pro line was created so Apple could raise upper end pricing of iPad. iPhone X raised the price of the top of the line iPhone to over $1,000. Touch Bar raised the price of Macs and currently if you want a new Mac without the Touch Bar you’re out of luck. A top of the line 15” MBP with Final Cut and Logic is over $7,000. Seems Apple’s MO now with slowing sales is to increase prices or find other ways to extract more money out of existing customers.
    I'm not actually seeing the "slowing sales" as much as a "flattening" of sales, something that would be expected for mature product lines like the iPad, Mac, Mac Book Pro, and iPhone. So when Apple does diversity its product lineup to provide a wider range of performance and features, and prices accordingly, I'm not seeing a problem with customers willingly purchasing those same products.

The products may well be mature but the PC market (Mac/PC), smartphone market (iOS/Android) and tablet market (iOS/Android) are huge and Apple has huge room to grow in that space. They haven't, hence the slowing sales growth or flat sales.

Yes, Apple has widened its product spread in some areas and opened up price ranges. As a result of slowing/flattening sales. A wise decision even though some here said Apple would never do that.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/18/07/31/apple-maintains-sales-volume-in-plummeting-chinese-smartphone-market

So your fave Huawei is gobbling up share in China, all this in a "plummeting" market, and Apple's sales have flattened. 

Betcha that Huawei has some major acquisition costs associated with that marketshare grab, but who cares, right?
    It would be nice to see widespread distribution in the US. That would really put the cat amongst the Samsung and Apple pigeons.

It is claimed that AT&T spent a full year tuning the Kirin 970 to its network and that the deal was signed, with trucks full of Huawei flagships ready to begin distribution, on the day of the CES announcement. It is very unlikely that AT&T got cold feet but the phones ARE available (they are not banned) so read into that whatever you want or take it from the horse's mouth:

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/25/huawei-us-issues-rivals-using-politics-to-kick-it-out-of-us-richard-yu.html

The upshot is that Huawei/Honor has pushed even harder into some of Apple's core markets and is getting results. Even in Apple strongholds like the UK. They are also pushing harder in developing markets. Half year revenues were announced today and they are up 15% YoY. They reached the 100 million handset mark in record time this year, Honor has seen very strong growth in the €500+ segment. Both the Honor 10 and P20 Series have broken records and the MateBook X Pro is almost permanently out of stock worldwide.

Honor will have another flagship ready to go in August and the Mate 20 will be announced in around eight weeks.

That's more or less how things stand today. No one knows what tomorrow holds but I'd say Apple has its work cut out which can only be good for us - consumers.

It is not my 'beloved' Huawei. One of my clients had her Huawei phone stolen recently and she was very happy with it. She wanted a new Huawei but there were no good offers when she was in the market and she couldn't wait things out. She went to a few stores and found Oppo giving good promotions. I didn't stand in her way even though I had a veto on that sale and influence many others. They don't all go to Huawei.

Huawei isn't banned in the U.S. for anything other than security reasons, and while that certainly involves politics, it isn't at all due to restraint of trade. Individuals are still allowed to buy and use Huawei, but carriers were "dissuaded" from carrying Huawei by National Security officials, and the few carriers that have any Huawei telecom equipment will have to swap out to something else.

That's just the facts.
    Fact eh?

Ah! You mean those completely unsubstantiated National Security, erm, 'suspicions' from the same people who confused Huawei with another company who just happened to have 'Huawei' in its name?

It is a defacto ban because Huawei claims US politics closed down distribution channels without actually banning the handsets in any shape or form.

Huawei Telecom equipment, as well as ZTE's; banned. There's some fine print about deadlines for any existing equipment to be replaced with compliant hardware.

Huawei handsets as well as ZTE's; banned for sale on U.S. Military installations; not yet banned for individual use by a members of the military.

One carrier, that is a noted contractor for various government agencies, declined to offed Huawei handsets, after being advised of the national security implications. 

Seems like the only effect on Huawei's handset sales is that Huawei has to provide all of its own marketing. Surely that isn't much of an expense for such a large company with such massive profitability.

It's a HUGE 'ban' considering the importance of carrier distribution in the US. Humongous.

Huawei had 100 million dollars in marketing ready to. Marketing isn't the issue.

Your 'disuaded' from further up now looks more like 'threatened'.

What national security implications!? The phones are not banned in the US!
    edited July 2018
  • Reply 63 of 63
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,453member
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:

avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:

avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    lkrupp said:

That's just the facts.
    Fact eh?

It's a HUGE 'ban' considering the importance of carrier distribution in the US. Humongous.

Huawei had 100 million dollars in marketing ready to. Marketing isn't the issue.

Your 'disuaded' from further up now looks more like 'threatened'.

What national security implications!? The phones are not banned in the US!
    So, Huawei isn't going to throw $100 million in into the U.S. market because it doesn't have a carrier partner? Sounds like they haven't a clue on how to get a foothold in the U.S.

On the other hand, I'm sure that Best Buy is just dying to become the principle distributor of Huawei P20 and Mate 20 devices. They should sell like hot cakes because of their superior features sets, low cost, and value. 

Or not, because nobody in the U.S., excepting a few neckbeards, gives a shit about Huawei.

Oh, sorry about the neckbeards comment. They don't give a shit either.
    edited July 2018