New rumor claims 2018 iPad Pros will be smaller, drop headphone jacks

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 83
    tht said:
    FYI, if you do some basic math on the reported dimensions of: The 10.5-inch model will go from 250.6 x 174.1 x 6.1 millimeters to 247.5 x 178.7 x 6according to Japanese site Macotakara. The 12.9-inch device will allegedly switch from 305.7 x 220.6 x 6.9 millimeters to 280 x 215 x 6.4.

The dimensions of the 12.9” model checks out with a nearly uniform bezel or margin of 9 mm, give or take half a mm. The height of the Face ID notch is about 8 mm on the iPhone X. Enough thickness for the Face ID module, but the rumored thickness of the 12.9” model is 6.4 mm. The iPhone X is 7.7 mm. That’s a lot that has to be thinned down, but if it’s only the front camera that drove the thickness on the iPhone X, a lower MP front cam will be thinner. So, they don’t have to have a notch for the 12.9” if it uses a 12.9” 4:3 display, from a technical perspective.

The dimensions of the 11” model is just FUBAR though. It doesn’t make any sense. A form factor with a uniform thickness bezel or margin would need to have a display aspect ratio 247.5/178.7 = 1.39, or 4.2:3, not 4:3. If it is a 11” 4:3 display with the reported case dimensions, it’ll look like this:

The normal 10.5” on the left. The rumored 11” on the right assuming a 4:3 aspect ratio. I had to reduce the corner radius otherwise it would look ugly. Obviously does not have uniform thickness bezels, and would have bezels of 12 mm and 6 mm. No need for a notch if is portrait oriented, and 2 or 3 mm of more bezel in landscape doesn’t merit much argument imo. Bigger issue is the 6 mm thickness. It would mean much smaller front cameras. 

For the 12.9” your figures are right, uniform bezel of about 9mm and the same display as the 2017 model.

For the 11.0” model, you’re on the right track but you forgot to subtract the 9mm bezels from the physical size. So the 247.5 x 178.7 becomes a screen size of about 229.5 x 160.7 for an aspect ratio of 10:7.  2380 x 1666 is the best fit for resolution as far as I can see, given the screen size rumor of 11.0” 

Also, the screen apparently will have rounded  corners, which obviously will look better given how close the screen will come to the physical edge. 

edited August 2018
  • Reply 82 of 83
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,157member
    macgui said:
    There are several dumbass posts in this thread...
    I don't mind the notch at all...
    I will be a little disappointed if Apple drops the headphone jack...
    Sadly, the above is quite typical of the sentiments we often read in this forum.  When somebody else is disappointed at an Apple design choice, it's labeled "dumbass" but when it's your own disappointment, it's somehow right, proper and worthy of trumpeting from the highest hill.

For what it's worth, even though I myself would not be even a little disappointed if Apple drops the headphone jack, I see that you would (and others with you), so I am not going to bash you for having your own opinion about that.  If anything, I say you have every right to express your discontent, and no one should wrongfully and unintelligently label your remarks about it "dumbass."  I support you about the headphone jack even though I don't have the same concerns about it.  Why would I do that?  Because I believe in solidarity with my fellow Apple product enthusiasts in regards to Apple's questionable design choices. 

People in this forum who dislike the notch have as much a right to post their feelings without fear of vicious retribution as someone who wishes to express potential disappointment if Apple drops the headphone jack.