Apple reports best June quarter ever with $53.3B in revenue on 41.3M iPhone sales

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 87
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Not that it really matters, but for those tracking this, Apple has almost hit that $1 trillion mark:

Apple shares gained almost 6 percent Wednesday after a strong fiscal third-quarter report, but ended trading shy of a highly anticipated $1 trillion market value.
    The stock closed at $201.50, just below the intraday high of $201.76. Shareholders had previously been looking for a price of $203.45 to make Apple the first publicly traded U.S. company worth $1 trillion — though the tech giant announced an adjusted outstanding share count later Wednesday that moved the threshold to $207.05.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/01/apple-stock-is-up-premarket-as-it-races-to-1-trillion-market-cap.html

The stock went up more than I expected. We’ll see how it holds up.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 82 of 87
    jumejume Posts: 209member
    I am wondering if all the people commenting on this post owe Apple stocks?!?

Well I am delighted that Apple is doing fine, but lots of that profit is based on the high prices that are not always 100% justified.

That goes from laptops to iPhones. Apple is charging just too much for some products. And people still go here "Yaaay, thats the way to do it!"?!

Not sure am I dumb or should we all ask from Apple to stop fucking all the users with prices. Looks like everyone is happy to pay 1500 USD for a Phone and 3k for a laptop that's not worth that money.
    avon b7
  • Reply 83 of 87
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    jume said:
    Not sure am I dumb or should we all ask from Apple to stop fucking all the users with prices. Looks like everyone is happy to pay 1500 USD for a Phone and 3k for a laptop that's not worth that money.
    1) What iPhone costs $1500?

2) Even if there was a $1500 iPhone why would you say everyone is buying it when Apple now has the widest range of devices and prices for their iPhone than any previous launch year?

3) If their devices weren't worth the money then people wouldn't be buying them. How that's how capitalism works, and since there's no Apple product that even comes close to being a monopoly there's no requirement for any consumer to buy their devices.
  • Reply 84 of 87
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    jume said:
    I am wondering if all the people commenting on this post owe Apple stocks?!?

Well I am delighted that Apple is doing fine, but lots of that profit is based on the high prices that are not always 100% justified.

That goes from laptops to iPhones. Apple is charging just too much for some products. And people still go here "Yaaay, thats the way to do it!"?!

Apple doesn't compete on price. They charge a price which reflects their brand name and their margins.
  • Reply 85 of 87
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    wood1208 said:
    MAC sales down in last quarter and will continue down because Apple didn't release Function Keys Macbook Pro.
    I think it has a lot more to do with selling price than mechanical function keys.    I've posted this before, but I think the high salaries at Apple have warped the perception of what people will pay for a computer.   The MBP now tops out at $6999.   That's ridiculous.   2.8Ghz with a 2TB storage is $4000.    Still ridiculous.   Apple has to decide whether they want units or margin.   And they need to restore the ability to replace/upgrade memory, storage and battery.   My current MBP (late 2016) will be my last one  unless Apple restores some sense to the product line.   
  • Reply 86 of 87
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    zoetmb said:
    I think it has a lot more to do with selling price than mechanical function keys.    I've posted this before, but I think the high salaries at Apple have warped the perception of what people will pay for a computer.   The MBP now tops out at $6999.   That's ridiculous.   2.8Ghz with a 2TB storage is $4000.    Still ridiculous.   Apple has to decide whether they want units or margin.   And they need to restore the ability to replace/upgrade memory, storage and battery.   My current MBP (late 2016) will be my last one  unless Apple restores some sense to the product line.   
    It would be ridiculous if that's the spec needed and is not ridiculously priced from other manufacturers. PCs with that spec are around $3300 vs $4000. The SSD itself can be as much as $1k on its own:

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-960-PRO-Internal-MZ-V6P2T0BW/dp/B01LY3Y9PH

There are cheaper options, the following SSD is only $0.20/GB, which will hopefully help drive SSD prices down more:

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-NAND-2TB-SSD-WDS200T2B0B/dp/B073SBW3VD

If people supplement the machine with external bulk storage, the lower spec MBP isn't all that badly priced. Base model with 16GB/512GB is $2600. I'd like to see them get a model under $2k again but for the lifespan of the machine, an extra $600 isn't the end of the world. The SSD upgrade prices are too high but that's just the way the market is with the higher quality SSDs.

There are compact enclosures for the m.2 drives:

https://www.amazon.com/Wavlink-Enclosure-Included-Aluminum-Support/dp/B06Y5XJG8J

so $2600 MBP plus $430 2TB external SSD gives 2.5TB total storage for just over $3k. It's more convenient having everything on the internal but bulk storage requirements are usually due to media files and it's better wearing out a cheaper external drive than the internal and it allows easily connecting it with other machines.

Being able to replace the battery would be ok but it's needed so infrequently that there's little point maintaining a retail supply of batteries. Same with RAM, the demand for upgrades is so low that there's no point in managing retail inventory for it. People who need more than 16GB will get more when they buy the machine. If someone discovers they need more a while after purchase, it's easy enough to sell the old laptop and buy a new one.