Apple worried about constitutional changes in considering North Carolina campus

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 49
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    LordeHawk said:
    So the multinational corporation is worried about elected officials accountable to the people meddling with the constitution. I guess Apple prefers to do the meddling themselves. Certainly they have welcomed their communist Chinese overlords with open arms, censorship and all, without a complaint.
    Eye.surgeon, please review the community guidelines or learn some respectful decency before making incendiary and leading remarks.
    Let’s stick to facts and mature dialogue. 

Following the laws of a country is not “welcoming Chinese overlords”, as the Chinese population does not enjoy the same freedoms afforded Americans.  You accuse Apple of censorship in a country where one cannot post anonymously, and provide no supporting evidence.  Apple controls customer encryption keys, devices are encrypted at the local level and iMessage is secure, leaving your opinion more of a rant about China.

Read a book...
    I think everyone here is entitled to state what the facts are - not just your interpretation of them - and even what their opinions are. Just because you don’t like his views doesn’t make his statements incendiary. He is obviously being a bit tongue in cheek on his take with the facts, which are that Apple did quite literally cave to China’s demands, regardless of the privacy disaster those demands brought upon its users. Of course his rant had to do with china just as Apple’s rant has to do with NC. the point is the fuss Apple fusses over one thing, but readily caves when the dollar starts to get further away. 

Please do stick to mature Dialogue, which would include cordially allowing others to speak freely just as you do. 

I’m curious about how “the privacy disaster” would have been averted had Apple pulled out of China or taken some other stance against Chinese regulations.  And what about every other American business doing business in China?  Should climbing rope manufacturers stop selling their products there because the Chinese government might use their products to hang a dissedent?  Why are we blaming Apple for turning over control of user’s private data to a Chinese-owned data center; it’s the Chinese government who might demand access without what we would call a proper warrant. That’s an issue you should have with the Chinese government, and only when it actually happens.  
  • Reply 42 of 49
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    wizard69 said:
    And Tim is making more noise that is going to result in negative attention on Apple. Maybe he could talk to the Prez directly instead of posturing for the media with stunts like this?

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/23/business/trump-immigration-business-leaders-economy.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur

The economy is firing on all cylinders right now. Tim is mistaken.
    Did you likewise give credit to Obama since the trend upwards began under his administration? It was down after Bush, then pushed up.

Side note - speaking of censorship, did anyone see the story about google planning to launch in China after their previous pull out of china?

https://theintercept.com/2018/08/01/google-china-search-engine-censorship/
    The so called bump form Obama was virtually a statistical mistake.   The difference under Trump is the feeling you get in the business world that things are improving.    It is a positive energy.    Trumps goal is to build up the business world while Obama implemented many policies that destroyed companies and even industries.

As for China the vibe I'm getting is that the climate in China is getting worse by the day!    Nobody should be doing business there anymore.   Frankly it is as disgusting as the enterprises that did business in Germany before we where pulled into the second world war.   You are basically aiding the enemy.   For the Chinese people I really feel sad for them as they have no idea what their government is up to, in many cases having a distorted view of the world outside of China.
    LOL....
    What you call a "statistical mistake" under Obama was 8 solid, uninterrupted years of real growth.
    What you get from Trump is a flare from $1.5 Trillion dollars of borrowed money being being funneled to the top 1% combined with a gutting of regulations that insured a stable economy on a solid base -- all done in an economy already running at full speed that he inherited from Obama.  It's like pouring gasoline on a fire and unlikely to end well.  Yeh, the rich are happy, they got paid back for supporting the traitor.  They'll take their ill gotten money and run.
    sphericmontrosemacs
  • Reply 43 of 49
    bageljoey said:
    Atomic77 said:
    Wow this thread has sure gone in a weird direction very fast. Having lived in North Carolina for 5 years I know that the state would be very good for apple and so would Wisconsin.
    I used to live there and have family there. I love NC. But I would not blame anyone for reconsidering expansion there right now.

Someone stated earlier that the state legislature is trying to restrict the power of the governor who was recently elected from a different party. That is true, but it is not whole story. The republicans have so extraordinarily gerrymandered the state that they can win a supermajority of seats while actually losing the popular vote across the legislative races. They have pretty much locked up control of the legislature for a generation if the courts do not intercede. 

But gerrymandering cannot help with statewide elections—that is why they lost the governorship.  In addition to systematically lessening the power of the governor since then, they want to alter the constitution so as to limit statewide power further.

This is no less than an attempt to subvert democracy itself. They want to change the laws so they don’t have to win free elections to have total power. 

Yeh, the same story plays out in Pennsylvania and other states.  Gerrymandering is as much an attack on democracy as the Russian hacking/disinformation attack was -- and has probably helped to enable the Russian attack.
    montrosemacs
  • Reply 44 of 49
    bageljoey said:
    This is no less than an attempt to subvert democracy itself. They want to change the laws so they don’t have to win free elections to have total power. 
    1. The US isn’t a democracy. You’ve been brainwashed.
    2. Both parties do this. Because both parties are owned by the same people.
    Yeh, the standard distraction/excuses we hear from the right on a regular basis.
    I especially think the "They ALL do it" excuse is especially cute.   It brings back fond memories of first grade for me.
    montrosemacstycho_macuser
  • Reply 45 of 49
    Yeh, the standard distraction/excuses we hear from the right on a regular basis.
    I especially think the "They ALL do it" excuse is especially cute.   It brings back fond memories of first grade for me.
    Hi, shut the fuck up. You have no argument and nothing to add. You fundamentally do not understand the legal processes we are discussing, and thus cannot meaningfully contribute anything other than your usual ad hominem attacks. You fundamentally do not understand the legal foundation of the country we are discussing, and thus don’t even know what you’re saying. Redistricting is a power afforded to the congress, whomever is in charge of it. If you’re too mentally handicapped to acknowledge that both parties engage in redistricting–much less redistricting done for group gain–then you’re too disingenuous to have anything to say in this conversation worth paying attention to. Reject objective truth at your own peril. Also, learn what “the right” is. The Republican Party is leftist and, again, owned by the same people as the democrats. The solution is to remove the power of redistricting from individuals and give it to an algorithm.

Congressional District Amendment

No longer shall Congressional districts be redrawn by sitting state representatives, nor shall they be redrawn under any circumstance other than an official change in population–as defined by the United States Census–of the corresponding districts in the respective states. Congressional districts shall henceforth be redrawn in a manner according to the mathematical Golden Ratio, where physically applicable within the bounds of state geometry.

The center of the smallest district shall be situated in the center of the most populous city in the state at time of ratification and henceforth from the time of finalization of the most recent census. Expansion outward from the first district follows the mathematical Golden Ratio accordingly. New districts formed due to a change in population shall be created by halving the size of the district in which said population has changed.

A little defensive are we?

By the way, I especially liked your thing about the "Republican Party is leftist".  Vladimir will be sad to hear that.   And your oversimplified solution to gerrymandering was hilarious -- your assumption that statistics and statisticians never lie could be the basis of a good TV sitcom...  Good one!
  • Reply 46 of 49
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    A little defensive are we? 
    Still no argument, as usual. Thanks for admitting that both parties gerrymander. We’re done here. The rest of your strawmen aren’t even worth acknowledging. Fuck off.
    edited August 2018
  • Reply 47 of 49
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    dysamoria said:
    politicians "meddling with constitutional amendments for political influence,"
    Don’t. get. me. started.  :D 
    Francules said:
    I can’t live in peace because of police & county politics being racist & disccrimnating me against my natural & spiritual practices. They hate vegans. 
    You’re nuts. No one, anywhere, is forcing you to buy animal products.
    No. That's a strawman YOU built; it wasn't a statement Francules made. Francules is talking about bigotry; the word used was "hate".

People do demonstrate considerable hatred toward vegans in certain places. Is it difficult to understand that it happens, or do you reject the fact of it?

I experience it myself, even from self-proclaimed *progressives*. They seem to view mocking vegans as a safe type of bigotry in which to participate. It's almost like some kind of pressure release valve for the other bigotry they've been suppressing, in order to present themselves as progressive and welcoming to others. They'll defend their bigotry by referencing a nasty vegan they encountered once (more likely, merely heard of from someone else who told them how nasty or "holier than thou" vegans are), and then they'll throw myths about human biology/diet that aren't held up by actual science.

It's still bigotry. Refusing to accept that bigotry exists is part of the reason that it continues.
    Lol.
    One can be a bigot for disliking/thinking less off people for many reasons. What is so unkind, unfair, etc. about bigotry is- typically the thing they hate others over- the victim of bigotry had little to no control over in the 1st place... being a different race, raised in a different religion, who they happen to be sexually attracted to, and so forth.
    However, if you dislike/think less of people that always bring 20+ items through the 10 items or fewer line, or people that constantly interrupt in the middle of others speaking, or something of that ilk- you can hardly be labeled a bigot. You’re basically saying “I personally don’t care for annoying people”.
    Thats pretty much how I view “vegans”...
    You wonder why people are irked by you??
    Ummmm.... look at your ridiculous comments here!
    You're trying to equate your inconsequential decision to follow some special dietary guidelines & many people’s annoyance at you calling attention to it w/ actual racism & bigotry.
    How tf would anyone even know that you’re vegan to supposedly “hate” you for it, lol?
    You have an “I’m Vegan!” tattoo on your forehead? No? Hmmm.... let me guess- you slip it into EVERY conversation you’ve ever been in, even if it doesn’t relate at all (ooooh, this one comes to mind!).

I’m so over the “faux-wounded”...
    I’m reminded of this hilarious bit from Silicon Valley:

Gavin Belson: I'm getting a little tired of this bias against the leaders of our industry. I'm continually creating jobs and helping people, and I'm tired of getting slapped for it. I didn't steal the money I have, and I resent being treated like I did. You know, there is a climate in this country that is very dangerous.
    Kara Swisher: It's dangerous out there for billionaires? 
    Gavin Belson: There's that attitude again, Kara. Billionaires are people, too. We are leaders in technology, in industry, in finance. Look at history. Do you know who else vilified a tiny minority of financiers and progressive thinkers called the Jews? 
    Walter Mossberg: Wait a minute. Did you just compare the treatment of billionaires in America today to the plight of the Jews in Nazi Germany? 
    Gavin Belson: Absolutely. One could argue that billionaires are actually treated worse. (audience groans)And we didn't even do anything wrong. (more groans)We're an even smaller minority. (groans) There's a lot more of them. (groans) These are facts.
    Nope. You got me entirely wrong. I never said it was equivalent to racism. I also don't go around announcing being vegan. It comes up when it's time to order food. The rest of your rant doesn't apply to me either and I'm not going to argue with you over your characterization of veganism being unnecessary. Live how you want to live and let me do the same. I'm not hurting you. 
  • Reply 48 of 49
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    And Tim is making more noise that is going to result in negative attention on Apple. Maybe he could talk to the Prez directly instead of posturing for the media with stunts like this?

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/23/business/trump-immigration-business-leaders-economy.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur

The economy is firing on all cylinders right now. Tim is mistaken.
    I wish I owned a big chunk of Apple so I. could nonimate  SpamSandwich to the position of CEO, I'm sure SS with his/her knowledge of constitutional law, years of experience commenting on a non official Apple centric website has given him/her all the necessary qualifications. And yes Apple please don't rock the boat, you could become "beleaguered" very quickly if the "Prez" wakes up cranky on morning.  
  • Reply 49 of 49
    As I recall, the only role of most state legislatures with regard to constitutional amendments is to propose and draft them.  They can only be passed by the actual voters.

So Apple's beef is at least partially with the voters of North Carolina.  
This discussion has been closed.