Testing an AMD WX 9100 eGPU with the 15-inch i9 MacBook Pro

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 23
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    Resolve isn't designed to utilize eGPU.
    What? Why did Blackmagic demo their eGPU running Resolve at Siggraph then? And why does their marketing page exclusively show it running Resolve?

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/blackmagicegpu/
    edited August 2018
  • Reply 22 of 23
    This is a $1500 workstation card, with its own market. We've done loads of other coverage on eGPUs.

...complicated, Still working on that? Guilliani 'truth is not truth'? Translation: ppl, this is not anadtech, we don't have any highly knowledgeable tech writers here.

Ya, and posting up an article on the upcoming Nvidia rtx series is way helpful for Apple users...not. And Mr Wuerthele in particular, perhaps the entire team AI, ignores MacvidCards. barefeats.com (must be a competitor as it's rarely mentioned) uses equally expensive vega liquid cooled frontier ver. - https://barefeats.com/macbook_pro_2018_egpu.html "The above graph shows a looping playback of R3D 5K clip including on-the-fly decoding. Adding an eGPU provided ZERO improvement in the MacBook Pro's playback speed. The GPU was a non-factor because the CPU was the subsystem under stress during the on-the-fly decoding of the R3D clip during playback." "Check with MacVidCards if you want an NVIDIA GPU that is modified to provide startup screen, full bandwidth, and eGPU compatibility."

I"m on a super slow supposedly fast internet connection via motel using Spectrum bus class 100mbs distributed local network, motel is nearly empty now...but dropped connections multiple X's just typing this reply over last 30min, 1-5mbs per speedtest.net...when the test can complete and doesn't have a dropped connection during that 1min test...can't get the forum formatting options, bold/italics to even work...prob going to have to try to submit with html syntax multiple Xs.

And now that NV rtx series has been announced, shipping a few months...damn, wcctech claims(with multiple typo's of specs): https://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2070-official-launch $499 rtx 2070 is 'faster' than a Titan xp, comparing the 21mil transistors in the Titan V(mega expensive). With AMD going for server markets for their 1st 7nm via TSMC ...Global Foundries just announced suspension of 7nm process, etc next AMD 7nm 'Navi', won't see much from AMD anytime soon. Just think, nxt yr a RTX2070 Ti Max-Q in a PC thin cannon lake cpu that Apple will wait until 6mo-1yr after PC side uses them, gaming laptop (few hrs runtime) will kill/crush/destroy a desktop iMac Pro, and potentially do 8k res...dell/philips, we don't need no stinking Mac LG 5k monitors! Yeah, smart move Apple. u say, no 8k content yet... it's coming...pr0n 1st, not that you'd want to see zits/stretch marks on nakid bodies at 8k.

too many of these html syntax CSS formatting that I don't remember how to edit properly...I don't blog/have own website, to get it to display correctly...quoting is a PITA using this forum software, something I do not have to do on other sites like....macrumors, lol at least last time I posted to MR 10yr ago. k, needed "P" instead of "br" along with backslash to end tag ...Y again, do I need to learn html tags just to post...so worn out already, don't think I could manage to post another reply for days, roflmao?

edited August 2018
  • Reply 23 of 23
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    You're making some unwarranted assumptions, that aren't based in reality. I've spoken about macvideocards in my articles at least three times, and I've referenced Barefeats on multiple occasions. Oh, and I fixed your HTML for you- not sure what happened there, but it was pretty messed up.

And, you've lost your mind if you don't think that there are highly technically knowledgeable writers here. You're right, though, we're not Anandtech. We can't do everything they do, and they can't do everything we do -- but there is overlap. That's the way it should be. 

Anyway, I like what Macvideocards does. The modified firmware service that they provide is invaluable, and I've bought cards from them in the past. However, if you've got a hardware problem with the card, it can be a bit problematic, and it isn't a great solution for the average user. As it stands with an eGPU in a non PCI-E mac, not having a boot screen isn't a big deal, as you either have the MacBook Pro display, or an iMac one to monitor the boot process or invoke Boot Camp or the like. It is far more of an issue with a Hackintosh or the PCI-E Mac Pro, obviously.

I'm looking forward to to the 2000-series cards and mature drivers. They should be fairly impressive when the raytracing is fully adopted. I'd personally like Apple to be less openly hostile to Nvidia. We'll see what happens, but I'm not holding my breath.

Regarding complicated: the reason it's complicated is because different apps leverage the eGPU versus the CPU differently. It is far from a simple yes or no answer and varies on type and style of workload, user habits, external thermal conditions, and about 10 other factors including battery charge, and if the eGPU is providing charging power or not and how much it is providing. It will vary person to person, hence the complexity.

And regarding your connection. That's nasty. I wish that on nobody.
    edited August 2018