124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 66
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator

ireland said:
    ireland said:
    jcs2305 said:
    backstab said:
    "AirPod 2" I've been waiting and waiting. (Please, Apple?)

My dream:
    A new iPhone SE with larger screen realestate, 3D touch, "Reachability", and AirPods2 bundled in-box.
    For this, I will pay you anything you ask, Apple. ANYTHING!!
    So you want the SE, but with a larger screen? I don't know about the bundle, but the phone you want already exists..it's called the iPhone 8. :wink: 
    Uh no...   Those who like the SE for its size like it because of its external size.  The frame of the 8 is far bigger than the SE so that is a false comparison.

If Apple continues with the SE, eventually it will have a full face screen like the X.   That will keep the external frame size but give it a larger screen size.  Unfortunately, that will also increase its cost somewhat -- which is a feature other SE fans like.
    iPhone X on the left, iPhone SE on the right. There's not a giant difference in size.

That’s a X with no case and SE with an ugly, wide case. Here’s a better photo to size compare with both without cases. Very different sizes.

I have both devices here. I'd be happy to take more pictures of whatever angle you want.
    If you want to compare clearly both without cases is a must, but I’ve uploaded such a photo, so there’s no need now. I’d like a full-screen SE, but not a X sized device. I know what size it is compared to my SE because I’ve used both phones and find it physically too large.
    iPhone 5 on top of iPhone X

• Reply 62 of 66
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    jcs2305 said:
    backstab said:

My dream:
    A new iPhone SE with larger screen realestate, 3D touch, "Reachability", and AirPods2 bundled in-box.
    So you want the SE, but with a larger screen? I don't know about the bundle, but the phone you want already exists..it's called the iPhone 8. :wink: 
    Uh no...   Those who like the SE for its size like it because of its external size.  The frame of the 8 is far bigger than the SE so that is a false comparison.

If Apple continues with the SE, eventually it will have a full face screen like the X.   That will keep the external frame size but give it a larger screen size.  Unfortunately, that will also increase its cost somewhat -- which is a feature other SE fans like.
    iPhone X on the left, iPhone SE on the right. There's not a giant difference in size.

Geez!   I had an iPhone 5 (until I gave to my grandson to dissect a few weeks ago) which, as I remember is essentially SE sized.   It seemed so small compared to the X.   I never would have imagined this.   Thanks!   That's pretty amazing!
  • Reply 63 of 66
    backstabbackstab Posts: 138member
    jcs2305 said:
    backstab said:

My dream:

It's a huge difference.
    (Your photo is disingenuous)
    edited August 2018
  • Reply 64 of 66
    Really hoping 3D Touch goes to the next iPad Pro. I think it would be better utilized there for music making apps, many of which are fairly useless on the small iPhone screen.
  • Reply 65 of 66
    ireland said:
    eightzero said:
    I am skeptical of Apple making anything cheaper to appear to a larger market. Making a cheaper HomePod sounds very un-apple-esque to me. But then, HomePod doesn't really appeal to me, so I can see others feeling differently about it. 
    The idea is they can do a small bedside speaker version, as they have proven they can do a larger great sounding version. Just as they started with iPod and then mini. Two to meet more needs and price points. Obviously it will likely be HomePod mini. Not a cheap version of HomePod, but an additional, more affordable model.
    To me the HomePod has always been one of those must-haves that when I look closer at them no longer want… They just completely miss the point; no matter if talking price point or usage:

I'd LOVE me two for my TV; but (ignoring that the stereo-feature got delayed)… that'd mean about 900 USD, including the new Apple TV that I'd need.

Personally I don't need 900 USD worth of improved sound for my TV, and if I did my first pick would be a (probably even more expensive) dedicated solution rather than two fancy Siri-speakers chained together (which forces me to retire other hardware that I've got connected to my TV).

I'd LOVE one for my bedroom desk (I have all my lighting HomeKit-controlled); but… that's where I have an iPad right now; and that iPad I can use to watch tv in bed, play games, handle emails, shop online etc.

So, do I REALLY need a 350 USD upgrade that I'd mostly use just because the iPad sometimes is a bit bad at picking up my voice when I say "Hey Siri, lights off"?!

What I REALLY could use would be a HomePod Mini; a tinier thing that is a 200 USD hybrid of an AirPort Express, and a HomePod. Just something that rather than having "perfect" sound focuses on making my home fully wifi- and Siri-covered.
  • Reply 66 of 66
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    tht said:
    The writing was written on the iOS 12 wall with the new way to enter text cursor trackpad mode, which doesn’t require 3D Touch or 2-finger move on the keyboard anymore. In iOS 12, it appears to be long press on the space bar, and thusly, it becomes a homogeneous feature across all iOS devices without unique invocations per device type. I assume if home screen app pop-up menu and peek-and-pop remain as features, long press plus tap will be used. You can then assume that wiggly mode on the home screen can be activated with an even longer press.

Gurman earlier rumormongered that there would be AirPods with “Hey Siri” this Fall. Perhaps they don’t have to change AirPods hardware this and it will be a firmware update. Still waiting on an in-ear version and tin-can version of Apple branded headphones, which Gurman also said maybe 2019, not this Fall.

Well iPads never had 3D Touch but still supported trackpad mode. My guess is Apple is working on something to combine/unify 3D Touch & long press but it will still utilize the Taptic Engine.
    iPad only has some of the functionality of trackpad mode that exists in 3D Touch devices.  Reading the manual it does not seem to offer the ability to select words, lines or paragraphs. I use Trackpad mode every day on my iPhone 6S. It works for me so much better than grabbing those little handles to select text. I can see that Apple might have reasons to drop 3D Touch since it would be substantially cheaper to make screen without it, but I would want any replacement to have the same functionality.