Apple distributes eleventh iOS 12, ninth macOS Mojave and tvOS 12 developer betas [u]

Posted:
in iOS edited August 2018
Apple has issued the latest round of betas for its milestone operating systems, with developers now able to test out the eleventh beta for iOS 12, and the ninth betas of macOS 10.14 Mojave and tvOS 12.

New developer builds of the operating systems are available to download from the Apple Developer Center, or for devices already enrolled into the testing program, via an over-the-air update. The public beta versions are usually released within a few days of their developer counterparts.

iOS 12

The eleventh developer beta for iOS 12 is build number 16A5365b, up from the tenth build which was 16A5364a. Apple has recently started to release developer builds on a more frequent basis, with the latest versions being pushed for testing within a few days of the last one, a rate that is likely to continue until near to the time the final release candidate is ready.

The release of iOS 12 will be helpful to users of older iPhones and iPads, as Apple claims there to be performance improvements with these devices in mind, as well as newer hardware. The iPad also gains extra gestures and notification grouping features, borrowed from the iPhone X.

The focus on "digital health" brings with it a new Screen Time function, designed to help users keep tabs on their app usage. To help reduce a user's dependency on games and social media when they feel they should be productive, it is also possible for users to restrict their own access to such apps on a temporary basis.

New updates of stock Apple apps including News, Weather, Stocks, and Voice Memos are also part of the update, as well as a new ARKit-based "Measure" app. Third-party map support in CarPlay, MeMoji, and Siri Shortcuts are also included, but while testing continues for Group FaceTime, Apple warns it won't be available at the time of launch.

macOS 10.14 Mojave

The ninth beta of macOS Mojave has build number 18A377a, whereas the eighth had build number 18A371a.

Productivity is a major focus in macOS Mojave, with Stacks moving from the dock to the desktop itself, allowing for files to be automatically grouped into piles by type. The Finder gains a Gallery view that shows media and metadata, along with links for contextual quick actions that can be used to perform predefined changes to files.

Quick Look adds access to Markup functions without having to leave the menu, including options to trim videos without using a separate editor. The screenshot HUD has simplified taking images and video of the Mac desktop, while simultaneously reportedly lowering the load on the processor for the task.

Continuity Camera function allows users to employ the camera from an iPhone or iPad to insert a photograph directly into a macOS app. The photo automatically transfers to the macOS app without the user needing to manually send the image file across from their iOS device.

Part of an ongoing project by Apple to bring iOS apps to macOS, Apple's first trial of the technology involves a bunch of its own apps transitioning over. News, Stocks, and Voice Memos are ported from iOS to macOS, along with the Home app, allowing users to manage their HomeKit network from their Mac.

The Mac App Store has been given an update that borrows elements from the iOS App Store, including video previews of apps. Updates for machine learning technologies Create ML and Core ML2 are included, and finally, an often-requested Dark Mode UI for the operating system.

tvOS 12

The tvOS 12 developer beta is on its ninth build, bearing number 16J5360a. The previous eighth beta was build 16J5355a.

Support for Dolby Atmos surround sound is included in tvOS 12, which can locate sounds in 3D space for the viewer without relying on discrete audio channels. A number of home control systems will add support for the Apple TV, as well as Siri interactions.

Cross-device Autofill can allow users to sign into tvOS apps using the same credentials as they used for iOS apps, reducing the need to enter them a second time. For some cable services, Single Sign-On will become Zero Sign-On, with the Apple TV automatically enabling channel apps after detecting what provider's network is being used, and the user's subscribed channel package.

A number of cable services have announced they intend to use the Apple TV as an alternate to the traditional set-top box, with Charter Spectrum planning to do so later in 2018, along with France's Canal+ and Switzerland's Salt.

The Aerial screensaver is being updated to show more details about pictured locations, when users swipe and tap. Lastly, a new "Earth" view in Aerial will show the planet as seen from the International Space Station.

AppleInsider, and Apple itself, advise against installing beta releases on mission-critical hardware, due to the potential for data loss. Anyone who wishes to install beta software should do so on non-essential secondary devices, and to retain backups of data before installing.

Find any changes in the new betas? Reach out to us on Twitter at @AppleInsider or @Andrew_OSU, or send Andrew an email at [email protected].

Update: Public beta versions of the latest iOS and tvOS releases are also available.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    chaickachaicka Posts: 257member
    iOS 12 Public Beta 9 is out too.
  • Reply 2 of 26
    Had to force download from dev site to initiate on iMac Pro but Mac Pro 2013 found it fast. Almost there...
  • Reply 3 of 26
    foljsfoljs Posts: 390member
    Let me repeat this: the performance improveness ("battery smoothness" and so on) concern the OS and UI layers.

It's not like the CPU got magically faster for the benchmark code to run faster. 

It's the UI drawing + some APIs that have been made faster, and the useless "benchmarks" wont show any of this, as they just run some random benchmark code.

MisterKit
  • Reply 4 of 26
    Shortcuts app available yet?
  • Reply 5 of 26
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,141member
    foljs said:
    Let me repeat this: the performance improveness ("battery smoothness" and so on) concern the OS and UI layers.

It's not like the CPU got magically faster for the benchmark code to run faster. 

It's the UI drawing + some APIs that have been made faster, and the useless "benchmarks" wont show any of this, as they just run some random benchmark code.

It seems like Geekbench did get marginally faster with the latest betas (not just me, several tests showed this, probably from the faster processor speed shifting) to be fair, but in principle I agree with you. People are trying to test the speed with benchmarks, but where it really shows is in-use testing, switching between apps and such, not low level benchmarks which are by nature supposed to remove the OS from the equation. 
    Soli
  • Reply 6 of 26
    Oh my, so many betas. What's wrong with this software? Time to turn off automatic updates!  ;)
    albegarc
  • Reply 7 of 26
    The DEVELOPER BUILDS ARE THE SAME FOR PUBLIC BETA TESTERS... DIFFERENT TITLE.. SAME BUILD NUMBERS!
  • Reply 8 of 26
    lukeilukei Posts: 379member
    Oh my, so many betas. What's wrong with this software? Time to turn off automatic updates!  ;)
    Yes definitely best to go straight from from Beta 1 to Gold RC without getting any user feedback 

/s
    fastasleep
  • Reply 9 of 26
    lukei said:
    Yes definitely best to go straight from from Beta 1 to Gold RC without getting any user feedback 

/s
    Why can't they just get it right on the first try? The next thing you know they'll have dozens of Alpha builds filled with bugs! Apple's quality is sinking.
  • Reply 10 of 26
    I really don't understand the iPhone lineup with the 8, 7, and 6. It would be better to make one of these in the regular and plus sizes with 64, 128 and 256 with the SE on the low end and the X above and push the price down $100 across the entire line.
  • Reply 11 of 26
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,123member
    Shortcuts app available yet?
    I’ve had the shortcuts app for a month. 
  • Reply 12 of 26
    usarmyctr said:
    The DEVELOPER BUILDS ARE THE SAME FOR PUBLIC BETA TESTERS... DIFFERENT TITLE.. SAME BUILD NUMBERS!
    And why are you shouting this?
    We’re neither deaf nor blind here,
    you know :)
    edited August 2018
  • Reply 13 of 26
    lukei said:

/s
    Why can't they just get it right on the first try? The next thing you know they'll have dozens of Alpha builds filled with bugs! Apple's quality is sinking.
    Ummm.... you DO know that this is a BETA, right? You signed up to have bugs. It's not official software yet.
  • Reply 14 of 26
    DylanMcD said:
    lukei said:

/s
    Ummm.... you DO know that this is a BETA, right? You signed up to have bugs. It's not official software yet.
    Right the first time? Why don’t you get it right the first time!
  • Reply 15 of 26
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    tipoo said:
    foljs said:

It seems like Geekbench did get marginally faster with the latest betas (not just me, several tests showed this, probably from the faster processor speed shifting) to be fair, but in principle I agree with you. People are trying to test the speed with benchmarks, but where it really shows is in-use testing, switching between apps and such, not low level benchmarks which are by nature supposed to remove the OS from the equation. 
    I think we've seen that in the past. When Apple was able to make significant improves to the code base that allowed for more efficient operation, they were also able to turn the HW to a faster clock speed to further make it feel faster without reducing battery life.
  • Reply 16 of 26
    DylanMcD said:
    lukei said:

/s
    I prefer Alpha builds. A comes before B, so they must be better, right?
  • Reply 17 of 26

DylanMcD said:
    lukei said:

/s
    Right the first time? Why don’t you get it right the first time!
    I was trying to be funny! I know what a beta, alpha and GM are.
  • Reply 18 of 26
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
     No new watchOS today. Interesting.
  • Reply 19 of 26
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,111member
    The release of iOS 12 will be helpful to users of older iPhones and iPads, as Apple claims there to be performance improvements with these devices in mind, as well as newer hardware.”

Yes, except that my wife’s iPhone 5 can’t handle anything higher than iOS 10. So much for “older devices”.
  • Reply 20 of 26
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,036member
    The latest mac OS Beta is much faster and more responsive on my Macs, so it would appear they are tightening up the code after killing off the bugs.

As to iOS Beta, I thought we were supposed to get Waze and/or Google Maps in CarPlay as an option. Not seeing that.
    Leypetcat