Beyond the new 'iPhone Xs,' what to expect from Apple's Sept. 12 'Gather round' special ev...

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 74
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    Wallet already open and waiting.
  • Reply 62 of 74
    A phone company announces its annual event for its latest phones. It also announces it will no longer make computers as they are a sideline business, and takes up too much time, few sales, and have lost interest in making the best computers. Making phones is easier and more profitable. The software division that made iWork, Final Cut, Aperature, Mac Server etc will also be disbanded, as they haven't done anything in years anyway. No one will miss them. No professional laptops (15" are just toys), no pro desktop Mac worth buying since 2013, no 17" laptop since 2012, no new Mac Mini, since ...I forgot it was so long ago. Old computers with old processors, old graphics cards, no user upgradable RAM, tiny RAM limit of 32Gb, same old high prices. Apple should give 5 year warranties. After 25 years as a Mac user, I am considering those PeeCees sadly. Cheaper, faster, 17" laptops, powerful desktop models.
    Bye! Apple won't notice you left.

And you are just as insignificant to Apple as he is.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 63 of 74
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    A phone company announces its annual event for its latest phones. It also announces it will no longer make computers as they are a sideline business, and takes up too much time, few sales, and have lost interest in making the best computers. Making phones is easier and more profitable. The software division that made iWork, Final Cut, Aperature, Mac Server etc will also be disbanded, as they haven't done anything in years anyway. No one will miss them. No professional laptops (15" are just toys), no pro desktop Mac worth buying since 2013, no 17" laptop since 2012, no new Mac Mini, since ...I forgot it was so long ago. Old computers with old processors, old graphics cards, no user upgradable RAM, tiny RAM limit of 32Gb, same old high prices. Apple should give 5 year warranties. After 25 years as a Mac user, I am considering those PeeCees sadly. Cheaper, faster, 17" laptops, powerful desktop models.
    Bye! Apple won't notice you left.

And you are just as insignificant to Apple as he is.
    But he’s not botxhing and claiming the sky is falling.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 64 of 74
    The invite is literally the logo for the new HQ, and is sold in their official gift shop:

stompySoliwilliamlondonfastasleep
  • Reply 65 of 74

steveau said:
    Hey AI, you missed the obvious: "Gather round" is signalling that the new A-Watch Series 4 will have a round face! And the gold in the announcement image means that it will be available in gold again (or a gold colour). This will be an incentive to upgrade, because it will visually differentiate from the older models. Unlike Series 1 versus Series 3, which are almost identical. MacMini upgrade is also likely, but the interesting thing will be how they make it "Modular" for server farm use. This means that it will be rackable or stackable in some way. Notwithstanding the Xserve, a rack would be very non-Apple, so I expect something much more elegant than that. Better too than the RackMac MacMini product. Perhaps "Modular" could flow thorough to other products: Like a couple of MacMinis with a SuperDrive, a multi-Terabyte drive or two and an Airport Extreme one on top of the other, but with the same form factor and a clever way of connecting them.
    Besides a round watch very likely not happening, I doubt they’d rebrand their iphone (biggest seller) event for the Watch.  
    One of the things I love about Apple is the cult of secrecy! Some say that the event logo is just because of Apple Park, but that's year-old news now. Others suggest that it relates to the inductive charging loop, but that's even more of an accessory than the A-Watch, so my bet is on a round watch. Clearly, I could be wrong, but when I curl up with my GF, a beer and a snack to watch the event (it's on at 9pm here), it sure makes it more interesting to have a sense of anticipation of something really new. (PS: GF is no geek, she will be focused on FB on her iPad).
  • Reply 66 of 74

Come gather 'round people 

The Times They Are A-changin'
    Bob Dylan (The Essential Bob Dylan)

Wherever you roam 
    And admit that the waters 
    Around you have grown 
    And accept it that soon 
    You'll be drenched to the bone 
    If your time to you 
    Is worth savin'

Always comes back to Dylan... says the ghost of Steve Jobs
    mac_128
  • Reply 67 of 74
    steveau said:
    Hey AI, you missed the obvious: "Gather round" is signalling that the new A-Watch Series 4 will have a round face! And the gold in the announcement image means that it will be available in gold again (or a gold colour). This will be an incentive to upgrade, because it will visually differentiate from the older models. Unlike Series 1 versus Series 3, which are almost identical. MacMini upgrade is also likely, but the interesting thing will be how they make it "Modular" for server farm use. This means that it will be rackable or stackable in some way. Notwithstanding the Xserve, a rack would be very non-Apple, so I expect something much more elegant than that. Better too than the RackMac MacMini product. Perhaps "Modular" could flow thorough to other products: Like a couple of MacMinis with a SuperDrive, a multi-Terabyte drive or two and an Airport Extreme one on top of the other, but with the same form factor and a clever way of connecting them.
    Second time you've mentioned the SuperDrive. So maybe the image/"round" refers to the much anticipated return to optical media? 

/s
  • Reply 68 of 74
    steveau said:

steveau said:
    Besides a round watch very likely not happening, I doubt they’d rebrand their iphone (biggest seller) event for the Watch.  
    One of the things I love about Apple is the cult of secrecy! Some say that the event logo is just because of Apple Park, but that's year-old news now. Others suggest that it relates to the inductive charging loop, but that's even more of an accessory than the A-Watch, so my bet is on a round watch. Clearly, I could be wrong, but when I curl up with my GF, a beer and a snack to watch the event (it's on at 9pm here), it sure makes it more interesting to have a sense of anticipation of something really new. (PS: GF is no geek, she will be focused on FB on her iPad).
    You bet wrong. It's Apple Park. Look at the shirt.
  • Reply 69 of 74
    steveau said:

steveau said:
    So they are going to make a lot of money selling Apple Parks, or T-shirts? No, the logo always has something to do with a product or software announcement. And Commentzilla above (reply 66) has picked up another clue: "Come gather 'round people" is from a Steve Jobs favourite, Bob Dylan's "The Times They Are A-changin'". Meaning the Apple Watch is going to change, to a round face.
    I'm looking forward to all the plaudits on the 13th!

• Reply 70 of 74

Wherever you roam 
    Around you have grown 
    And accept it that soon 
    If your time to you 
    Is worth savin'

Brilliant! Well spotted!  "Come gather 'round people" for "The Times They Are A-changin'". Meaning the Apple Watch is going to change, to a round face.

• Reply 71 of 74
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    steveau said:
    steveau said:

steveau said:
    So they are going to make a lot of money selling Apple Parks, or T-shirts?
    That's what you took from a comment proving that the design is pulled directly from Apple Park? A fucking T-shirt?! 🤦‍♂️
    edited September 2018 fastasleep
  • Reply 72 of 74
    steveau said:
    steveau said:

steveau said:
    So they are going to make a lot of money selling Apple Parks, or T-shirts? No, the logo always has something to do with a product or software announcement. And Commentzilla above (reply 66) has picked up another clue: "Come gather 'round people" is from a Steve Jobs favourite, Bob Dylan's "The Times They Are A-changin'". Meaning the Apple Watch is going to change, to a round face.

Fine. I say it's the overdue return of the hockey puck mouse:

• Reply 73 of 74
    steveau said:

Wherever you roam 
    Around you have grown 
    And accept it that soon 
    If your time to you 
    Is worth savin'

Brilliant! Well spotted!  "Come gather 'round people" for "The Times They Are A-changin'". Meaning the Apple Watch is going to change, to a round face.

So yeah, not a round Watch. Turns out it was literally the Apple Park logo. Who knew?
  • Reply 74 of 74
    steveau said:

Wherever you roam 
    Around you have grown 
    And accept it that soon 
    If your time to you 
    Is worth savin'

So yeah, not a round Watch. Turns out it was literally the Apple Park logo. Who knew?
    Yes, sadly, I was wrong! Anyway, nice as the series 4 is there's not enough in it to justify upgrading from my series 2, so I'll wait and see what's on offer next year.