What it was like to give up my Apple Watch after three years of constant use

Comments

• Reply 21 of 63
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    I like the idea of leaving the iPhone behind. I would still be able to see what texts and mails come in, as well as calls, but all the news and social media that beckons at every spare moment would be gone. Accessing twitter or fb on a watch is not great and neither is writing long emails. I spend a much time in front of my Mac and tend to spend too much time starting at my phone. The Apple Watch (I have the 2) would perhaps help me be a little more mindful of the moments around me. I am not sure this would be Apple's idea of How the watch should fit into the ecosystem but it's a thought :smile: 
    watto_cobrabb-15
  • Reply 22 of 63
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    paxman said:
    I like the idea of leaving the iPhone behind. I would still be able to see what texts and mails come in, as well as calls, but all the news and social media that beckons at every spare moment would be gone. Accessing twitter or fb on a watch is not great and neither is writing long emails. I spend a much time in front of my Mac and tend to spend too much time starting at my phone. The Apple Watch (I have the 2) would perhaps help me be a little more mindful of the moments around me. I am not sure this would be Apple's idea of How the watch should fit into the ecosystem but it's a thought :smile: 
    I'm hoping the iPhone get deprecated in utility the way the iPad did as being the middle ground between my iPhone and Mac to where I haven't bought an iPad for myself in many years because when I'm stationary (i.e.: seated) I prefer my Mac and when I'm mobile (i.e.: standing) it's not portable enough so I mostly use my Mac and by removing the iPhone as the Watch becomes a more important part of my routine I'm hoping the iPhone can follow a somewhat similar path (although not entirely because the iPhone will still be needed at times due to the limited UI of the Watch). Not being on social media as much because it's not practical with watchOS sounds like a bonus to me, but I'm sure that others would find that to be a dealbreaker.
  • Reply 23 of 63
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    entropys said:
    Personally, I think Apple does itself a disservice by announcing and then releasing so much stuff around the same time because I'm very likely to get the Series 4 Watch and keep my iPhone 7 Plus for a third year. 
    Yes. If you are an Apple corporate executive earning a ludicrous income though, having to decide which toy you will buy this year or next is an irrelevancy. “What do you mean, you have to choose?”

lok on on the bright side. After buying the watch now, by the time you can afford a new iPhone you might as well wait for the next version.
    Even without an issue of expense I assume there's the psychological aspect to getting "the new hotness" that I wouldn't think scales well so if a new iPhone, iPad, Watch, and Mac all come out at the same time that I'd feel the same level of enjoyment as if they were, say, each released every 3 months.

Love my AW3 and wear it everyday all day.

To Andrew: You realize that by not wearing your AW for a week means you’re going to miss out on some achievements, right? That would drive me nuts. I used to think badges/medals were kinda silly, but now it bothers me if I don’t hit a goal.

I was under the weather last month and facing the possibility of missing my goals for one day and breaking my one year streak. This motivated me to keep active during the day (instead of just lying in bed). Though it took longer than usual (11:00pm instead of my usual 5:00ish) I still managed to hit my goals.

Edited: My AW3 works great, but damn, that AW4 looks fantastic.
    I felt the same way about the badges but I like earning them and giving people positive and/or snarky canned replies when they complete their goals and get badges. I haven't had a chance to use the new Activity Competition feature in watchOS 5 yet, but that will probably change within a few weeks time.
  • Reply 24 of 63
    Soli said:
    entropys said:
    Personally, I think Apple does itself a disservice by announcing and then releasing so much stuff around the same time because I'm very likely to get the Series 4 Watch and keep my iPhone 7 Plus for a third year. 
    Yes. If you are an Apple corporate executive earning a ludicrous income though, having to decide which toy you will buy this year or next is an irrelevancy. “What do you mean, you have to choose?”

lok on on the bright side. After buying the watch now, by the time you can afford a new iPhone you might as well wait for the next version.
    Even without an issue of expense I assume there's the psychological aspect to getting "the new hotness" that I wouldn't think scales well so if a new iPhone, iPad, Watch, and Mac all come out at the same time that I'd feel the same level of enjoyment as if they were, say, each released every 3 months.

Love my AW3 and wear it everyday all day.

To Andrew: You realize that by not wearing your AW for a week means you’re going to miss out on some achievements, right? That would drive me nuts. I used to think badges/medals were kinda silly, but now it bothers me if I don’t hit a goal.

I was under the weather last month and facing the possibility of missing my goals for one day and breaking my one year streak. This motivated me to keep active during the day (instead of just lying in bed). Though it took longer than usual (11:00pm instead of my usual 5:00ish) I still managed to hit my goals.

Edited: My AW3 works great, but damn, that AW4 looks fantastic.
    I felt the same way about the badges but I like earning them and giving people positive and/or snarky canned replies when they complete their goals and get badges. I haven't had a chance to use the new Activity Competition feature in watchOS 5 yet, but that will probably change within a few weeks time.
    It’s funny how many people have started off not seeming to care about the badges and challenges. Then, once they start to get one here or there they get into it and work to keep getting them, even getting excited to earn them. A friend of mine sent me a text the other night (like she does at the end of every month) telling me she couldn’t wait to see what her September Challenge was going to be (for September she needs to double her Move goal 24 times). 

At least for some people I think the goals and challenges make the Apple Watch more sticky. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 63
    Watashi10 said:
    This article looks like a nice Sponsored Ad for the Apple Watch. It's really hard for me to believe that you're actually using all the functions mentioned in the post and that you need them so badly :D.
    Lol Apple does not need a sponsorship from ‘Appleinsider’.
    lolliverwatto_cobrabb-15pscooter63
  • Reply 26 of 63
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Soli said:
    paxman said:
    I'm hoping the iPhone get deprecated in utility the way the iPad did as being the middle ground between my iPhone and Mac to where I haven't bought an iPad for myself in many years because when I'm stationary (i.e.: seated) I prefer my Mac and when I'm mobile (i.e.: standing) it's not portable enough so I mostly use my Mac and by removing the iPhone as the Watch becomes a more important part of my routine I'm hoping the iPhone can follow a somewhat similar path (although not entirely because the iPhone will still be needed at times due to the limited UI of the Watch). Not being on social media as much because it's not practical with watchOS sounds like a bonus to me, but I'm sure that others would find that to be a dealbreaker.
    Some may indeed find that a dealbreaker, and I get it. But personally I would miss very little by not being able to access the groups I follow on fb. Instagram is fun but if you shut it down I wouldn't miss it. News at my fingertips at all times is overkill in the same way 24 hr cable news is. And I too am a Mac person and I'd be fine waiting until I was sitting down with my laptop. But getting rid of my iPhone? That would be a big step!
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 63
    " I had the opportunity once more to wear other watches." I have some other watches that I really enjoy wearing also, but I hate breaking my streaks :-( So I end up wearing my Apple Watch most of the time.
    edited September 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 63
    payecopayeco Posts: 581member
    I don’t understand the point of this article.
  • Reply 29 of 63

I started off with a Series 0 SS and am currently using the Series 2 Nike version. I've worn it every single day and close the move ring every day.
    I'll definitely be upgrading to the new one this year.

Soliwatto_cobraFolio
  • Reply 30 of 63
    metrixmetrix Posts: 256member
    Just want to let everyone know how accurate the heart rate monitor is on the Apple Watch 2. I got the watch for working out at the gym but a heart murmur that became heart prolapse surgery required a valve repair. The open heart surgery affected my rhythm and required medication to prevent afib so the watch tells me if i forgot to take my medication extremely well. I have become very dependent on it for that reason. Please consult your doctor though. Other reasons i like it are voice to text seems better, vibrate wrist for taking turns using maps, adjusting volume on iTunes for wireless headphones.
    dewmeStrangeDayswatto_cobrabb-15
  • Reply 31 of 63
    macgui said:
    I've worn one of my Apple Watches almost every day for three years. I've gone maybe seven to ten days, all on different day, because I either forgot to put it on, or wanted to wear one of me really nice analogs.

Once I left the house, I was constantly reminded that I didn't have my Watch. My phone doesn't have a Taptic engine, so if I heard a notification, I looked at my bare wrist or analog, then impatiently dug out my phone.

Or, if I got the phone out to make a call or plug in a destination in Maps, or for any reason, I'd see texts and missed calls. With the Watch, I keep the phone ringer off, and don't use vibrate. 

Full disclosure and in all honesty, etc., I would never plan to go any time without it. I'm a watch and Watch guy. I've chosen and/or needed to wear a watch since I was a kid, and love watches. So not wearing a watch just isn't a plan.

Apple Watches, except my SS, are significantly lighter than my analogs, so I occasionally forget that I'm not wearing one. I take them off to charge, shower, or do work that would bang them up. I've done the same for 99% of the watches I own/owned. Work watches didn't get that luxury.

I'll be getting an S4, to be sure. I keep telling myself I'll wear a watch and Watch on each wrist, just to take my analogs out for some air. They're too nice to keep in a drawer. When Apple makes a round addition with some elegant faces, my analogs may never get out.
    Please no round apple watch.....

watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 63
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    Soli said:

To reiterate my feelings from over 3 years ago: It's unnecessary, yet indispensable.

It's a funny product. It doesn't seem to have the momentum or mindshare of the iPhone and iPad in terms of revolutionizing the market, and yet...

It is funny. And yet I see more of them on wrists every month. And your 3yo analysis is spot on. Can I manually type in my password on my Mac when I get to work? Sure, but I don’t have to when I have my Apple Watch. Can I use AnyList on my phone when I stop by the grocery store? Sure, but it’s more convenient to just use it on my watch. Can I pay for my groceries with my card? Sure, but it’s way easier to just use the watch. And the list goes on.

Soli said:

Another funny aspect is the longevity of this relatively slow digital device. .

I think about that from time to time. If there weren’t a ridiculous up charge for using cellular on Watch I would VERY seriously consider upgrading my series 0 to 3 or 4. But I’m not going to play into that bs. The only thing then that would keep me from being able to leave my phone at home is that I have to unlock the front door to my office with an app on my phone. If the crack team of devs that my co. chose to go with would get their hands out of their junk and make a Watch app, I actually could. And that’s pretty cool to think about. I guess I could get a dongle instead, but f that!

And speaking of longevity, the only reason I’m looking to upgrade from my 5s is because it got dropped in a puddle a couple years ago and the screen has never been capable of full brightness since. I’ve even replaced the screen a couple times just to make sure it wasn’t the screen. But I can’t see jack outside. Also I’m starting to reach the 64GB limit and I ain’t payin for iCloud storage yet. Maybe next year. But I digress. 

Apple does make nice nice stuff though. Gotta give them that. 

watto_cobrapscooter63
  • Reply 33 of 63
    I've not owned any AW yet, but had the MiBand 2 and liked it so much that I bought a Miband 3 which was delivered last week from China.

The 3 has better waterproofing and displays actual text-content notifications rather than just an alert - Great value fitness bands with some decent basic smart functions, but at the end of the day using them has just made me want an Apple Watch even more!

I'll likely pick up an AW4, but hope that more than just one network will support the cellular version in the UK.
    edited September 2018
  • Reply 34 of 63
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Unlocking my Mac with my appleWatch would be a massive boon, if only it worked more than 10% of the time.  Most of the time..... nuh.
  • Reply 35 of 63
    QuynhnguyenQuynhnguyen Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    paxman said:
    I also find myself using my iphone less and wish to carry it lesser once my network support LTE connection on the Watch. Im now on the S2 but would definitely go for S4 if Apple put sleep monitor and manage to get at least 3 days of battery. One charge per day really sucks
  • Reply 36 of 63

I started off with a Series 0 SS and am currently using the Series 2 Nike version. I've worn it every single day and close the move ring every day.
    I'll definitely be upgrading to the new one this year.

Wow! That’s almost like 3 years!

Put my 3months streak to shame. :(
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 63
    stanhope said:
    Dragging the phone around is indeed a drag.  I have had an apple watch since the first version and I am delighted with how the device has come along.  The apple watch 3 has relegated my $17,000 Cartier Panther and several other expensive watches to the jewelry box.  I will be right there when preorders start for the AW4.  The nice side benefit is that when you go to sell one, the price holds up nicely.
     I was at the Apple Store two days ago and max they would pay $200 for my 42mm LTE Nike Series three that cost just shy of $500.  
  • Reply 38 of 63
    BebeBebe Posts: 145member
    I got the Original AW and now have the Series 2.  I used it every day when cycling and now swimming with the Series 2.  I had a 2-day trip to Southern California a while back and realized I didn't bring my AW charger.  Had to look for an Apple Store in the area to buy a charger, LOL.
    watto_cobrabb-15
  • Reply 39 of 63
    payecopayeco Posts: 581member
    crowley said:
    Unlocking my Mac with my appleWatch would be a massive boon, if only it worked more than 10% of the time.  Most of the time..... nuh.
    Strange, I’ve almost never had it not work. Half of the time it’s faster to unlock my Mac than Touch ID.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 63
    payeco said:
    I don’t understand the point of this article.
    Is english not your native tongue? Which paragraphs would you like help with?
    watto_cobracornchippscooter63