Apple debuts 5.8-inch iPhone XS and 6.5-inch iPhone XS Max with OLED screens

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2018
Apple has officially taken the wraps off their latest flagship handsets -- the iPhone Xs and iPhone Xs Max -- during the "Gather round" presentation at the Steve Jobs Theater on Wednesday.

Complete with 5.8-inch and 6.5-inch OLED displays respectively, better water resistance, stronger glass displays, and a new gold color option.

The iPhone Xs, the smaller of the two devices, features the same size 5.8-inch 2436-by-1125-pixel resolution display as its predecessor. Coming in as Apple's largest-screen device to date is the iPhone Xs Max. It has a resolution of 2688 x 1242 measuring 6.5-inch diagonally. Both devices have a pixel density of 458 ppi.

Features

Apple has a tendency in "s" years to focus on specs rather than design changes, and that is the case this year as well. Both the camera and processor saw significant jumps this year.

On the Xs, Face ID is even faster than on the iPhone X thanks to faster algorithms and a faster secure enclave.

Among the changes are improved speakers with wider stereo sound.

Technical details

Powering the iPhone Xs and Xs Max is the new 64-bit A12 Bionic processor (the worlds first 7nm chip) with M12 motion coprocessor.

The A12 Bionic has a 4-core GPU and a 6-core CPU. The GPU is up to 50-percent faster than the A11. The CPU has two performance cores that are 15-percent faster and four efficiency cores.

Apple's A12 Bionic Neural Engine

Included in the A12 is a new Neural Engine. It has moved from two cores, to now eight cores and is capable of five trillion neural operations a second. Apple says that this new neural engine enables real-time machine learning. By adding neural engine support to Core ML, Core ML will up to 9 times faster, while using 1/10 the power.

Water resistance has been improved to an IP68 rating, compared to IP67 prior. The change should allow the device to stay submerged at 1.5 meters (4.92 feet) for 30 minutes. IP67 rating limits submersions to 1 meter (3.28 feet) for the same duration.

iPhone Xs Cameras

Turning two cameras, there is a new dual camera setup and improved True Tone flash.

A 12MP wide camera with wider, deeper pixels, a new sensor and an upgraded 12MP tele lens, both with image stabilization.

Apple has upgraded the Image Signal Processor to work with the neural engine to add additional features such as facial landmarking and segmentation. The cameras work with new Smart HDR that is enabled by the fast A12 Bionic processor.

Portrait Mode and Portrait Lighting is upgraded with improved quality and better background bokeh. You can actually now adjust the aperture after a photo was taken. As the aperture is increased or decreased, the background changes in real time.

For videographers, stereo sound can be recorded and played back on the newly upgraded speakers. Low light performance is greatly improved, with much less noise.

Battery life is extended, getting 30 minutes more usage time than the iPhone X. The iPhone Xs Max, on the other hand, has the largest battery yet, with an hour and a half extra usage time over the X.

As rumored, iPhone Xs supports dual sim. Each phone will have a physical sim card and an eSim card, except China which will have two physical sim cards.

iPhone Xs and Xs Max Specs

Pricing and availability

The iPhone Xs will sell for $999 for 64GB of storage, with a 256GB model retailing for $1149, and the new 512GB option available for $1349. The iPhone Xs Max will sell for $1099 with 64GB of storage, $1249 for 256GB, and $1449 for 512GB.

Apple notes that pre-orders start on Sept. 14, with the first wave of devices scheduled to arrive on Sept. 21.

Keep up with AppleInsider by downloading the AppleInsider app for iOS, and follow us on YouTube, Twitter @appleinsider and Facebook for live, late-breaking coverage. You can also check out our official Instagram account for exclusive photos.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 160
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,098member
    The notch lives!
    latafairam
  • Reply 2 of 160
    The hard part is going to be choosing a color. I'm typically not a gold person, but that new gold color looks very nice. 
    supadav03randominternetpersonnapoleon_phoneapartjbdragondws-2watto_cobradaveinpublic
  • Reply 3 of 160
    I’m ready to jump to the Max. My X has serviced me well but I’m ready for the extra screen real estate 
    JFC_PAwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 160
    Trying so hard to be excited. It’s just not “magical” anymore. Loads of meh...
    This kind of whining is predictable. Every year the smartphone grows more and more mature as a product category. The initial growth spurts are in the rear-view mirror, my friend. If you're deriving your personal happiness on surprises from tools like smartphones, you're in for a lifetime of disappointment. The more important questions are -- does this tool perform the jobs-to-be-done I have for it? Do I like it better than the alternatives?

"Magical" is in your mind.
    edited September 2018 supadav03boltsfan17jahbladegilly017ericthehalfbeetmayclaire1pscooter63SnickersMagooanome
  • Reply 5 of 160
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Not liking the max name but that's a minor matter.
    claire1retired4goodjbdragonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 160
    It’s not even over yet and the haters gotta get their crying in. I seriously don’t know what people like this expect to see.
    gilly017StrangeDaysmike1retired4goodJFC_PAjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 160
    Ok you go design something magical. Until we get transparent or foldable technology that can actually be in the consumers hands and all this without leaks I’m afraid your ‘virgin’ experience with the first iPhone and iPhone 4s is history. But hey go ahead and design something magical. I’ll buy it if you do.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 160
    Kirin 980 what??????

Nice to see Apple actually announcing that they’re the real “first” 7nm chip, not like Huawei with their “announcement”. Oh, and what’s that trash talk from Huawei about their neural engine performance? You just been handed your ass by the A12.

As expected. 
    gilly017fastasleepsupadav03randominternetpersonStrangeDaysentropystmaypscooter63k2kwanantksundaram
  • Reply 9 of 160
    I'm still very happy with my 7 plus. I usually wait about 5 years to upgrade my phone anyway. I'll wait for the iPhone XIVse plus max 6G
    edited September 2018 latafairamwonkothesaneanantksundaram
  • Reply 10 of 160
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    What a pitiful way to go through life.
    gilly017ericthehalfbeefastasleepboltsfan17StrangeDaysGG1mike1tmayclaire1retired4good
  • Reply 10 of 160
    You will find that to be the case with a lot of things in life, with every passing second of your life. Everything has its “first time”. It is impossible to do everything every day for the first time every time. But, i bet a lot of people understand that, and are simply looking for something better, instead of “something new”.
    edited September 2018 gilly017StrangeDaysmike1watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 160
    YoRHa said:
    I guess no one gets to say, “Apple doesn’t care about Max” anymore. Still, it’d be nice if they actually released new computers. Or attempted to make iOS have feature parity with OS X.
    Macs are coming later this fall. This is the iPhone event. Get with the program. 
    mike1tmaypscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 160
    This kind of whining is predictable. Every year the smartphone grows more and more mature as a product category. The initial growth spurts are in the rear-view mirror, my friend. If you're deriving your personal happiness on surprises from tools like smartphones, you're in for a lifetime of disappointment. The more important questions are -- does this tool perform the jobs-to-be-done I have for it? Do I like it better than the alternatives?

Whining? I don't see the guy as whining, he's just stating he is not impressed.

tyler82avon b7gatorguy
  • Reply 14 of 160
    You will find that to be the case with a lot of things in live, with every passing second of your life. Everything has its “first time”. It is impossible to do everything everyday for the first time every time. But, i bet a lot of people understand that, and are simply looking for something better.
    Thanks for illuminating his or her point view. I can say the same thing about tv technology. The last oled and even quantum dots tech was 'meh' as he said. New technology around the corner just not here yet. 
  • Reply 15 of 160

This kind of response is so predicatable. Every time someone posts anything other than a positive comment, someone feels the need to respond, chide them, and/or "school" them about why their opinon is misguided. It happens ALL THE TIME on this site. The Apple Insider air is thick with smug and pretention. Get over yourself. your opinion is no more valid or invalid than anyone elses. And yes, I realize the irony and hypocracy of my post, but it hopefully serves to amplify my point.

FWIW, I've been in the "meh" crowd about Apple events for the past few years.
    muthuk_vanalingamavon b7mpw_amherstpscooter63anantksundaramelijahggatorguyphils
  • Reply 16 of 160
    I'm watching now, and this is one damn amazing piece of tech. But here's the thing: I just can't see myself using homecourt or AR games. It is kinda like my mac that long ago got capabilities i have never, and will never use. I take snapshots, and really don't share much. I guess I am really the target audience for Android and PCs.

But will I buy a new iPhone an AW 4? Yep. 
    jony0radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 160
    This seems to be an account created just to be unimpressed with everything Apple does. Perhaps just an unhappy person or maybe an account operating in service to an Apple competitor.
    gutengelfastasleepStrangeDaysclaire1pscooter63jony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 160

Whining? I don't see the guy as whining, he's just stating he is not impressed.

They’re literally still presenting the iPhone, it’s not even finished yet — just covering the cameras now. It’s whining, and preemptive whining at that. 
    StrangeDaysJaiOh81pscooter63jony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 160
    The new camera features are really impressive. I can't wait to try out the new Smart HDR mode. 
    fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 160
    The camera kicks ass! Apple is always ahead of the pack.
    claire1watto_cobra