Apple Watch Series 4: Should you upgrade?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29

I own one of the early Apple Waches

Apple Watch Series 1

If you were an early adopter to the Apple Watch, you know some of the imperfections that are present. The devices were slow, with somewhat cramped screens, and didn't exactly know their purpose.

Huh?
    Cramped screen?   Its a watch!   Of course the screen is cramped!   Yes, the Series 4 is less cramped.   But it's still cramped.

But slow?   No way!   Yes, my original Series 0 was slow.   I don't see any delays in my Series 1 at all.   Yes, the Series 4 are faster.   But to suggest that the Series 1, 2 or 3 are "slow" is, in my experience, not correct and I use my series 1 all day everyday and for serious exercise as well.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 29
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    I ordered a 4 immediately.  Probably getting my wife one soon too, she has the series 3 cellular so less imperative than for me with a series 2.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 29
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
    Have an Apple Watch Series 3 LTE and will be passing it along to a family member. This time I am opting out of the LTE feature and just going with WiFi.

Apple will give you $200 trade in on a Series 3 LTE in good condition- I would rather throw it in the trash first.
  • Reply 24 of 29
    atomic101 said:
    Can someone enlighten me as to whether the modern Apple Watches utilize sapphire crystal for the face, or just glass? I recall that previous editions offered a choice depending on the model. 

I can't seem to find this info on Apple's website. 
    Last gens was Sapphire face on the steel or edition models. I would expect this to be the same. Maybe call customer services if the website is not enough? I must say, I thought the website information on the series 4 is poor, I found it difficult to get technical specs e.g screen resolution DPI, weight, etc.
  • Reply 25 of 29
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    rossb2 said:
    atomic101 said:
    Can someone enlighten me as to whether the modern Apple Watches utilize sapphire crystal for the face, or just glass? I recall that previous editions offered a choice depending on the model. 

Last gens was Sapphire face on the steel or edition models. I would expect this to be the same. Maybe call customer services if the website is not enough? I must say, I thought the website information on the series 4 is poor, I found it difficult to get technical specs e.g screen resolution DPI, weight, etc.
    It’s in Support with the rest of the product Tech Specs

https://support.apple.com/kb/SP778?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US
  • Reply 26 of 29
    mac_128 said:
    rossb2 said:
    atomic101 said:

I’m still only seeing that it’s sapphire and ceramic on the back. Nothing on the face. 
  • Reply 27 of 29
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    atomic101 said:
    mac_128 said:
    rossb2 said:
    atomic101 said:

I’m still only seeing that it’s sapphire and ceramic on the back. Nothing on the face. 
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204507
  • Reply 28 of 29
    davgreg said:
    Have an Apple Watch Series 3 LTE and will be passing it along to a family member. This time I am opting out of the LTE feature and just going with WiFi.

Apple will give you $200 trade in on a Series 3 LTE in good condition- I would rather throw it in the trash first.
    I have the series 3 but I think i should wait 2 or 3 years to upgrade
    edited February 2019
  • Reply 29 of 29
    Sliderule43Sliderule43 Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    Article is now dated. As a tech savvy senior, the fall detection is very important. It works. My wife fell at the airport, it vibrated, and gave her one minute to say I’m okay. Otherwise, 911 would have been called. I wear mine in the shower as slipping and falling in the shower is not unusual. In our senior residence, several people have had strokes, fallen and laid on the floor all night. Had they had the watch on, 911 would have been dispatched and the person given immediate care, and likely minimized long term damage. The watch 911 benefit is a lot cheaper than $30 a month for devices people wear around the neck, and a lot more comfortable. I have two. One for sleeping, one for daytime. Falling in a dark room is not uncommon.