Apple Watch Series 4 has 10 features that set it apart from your older model

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    Ceramic back is on all Series 4 watches.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204507
  • Reply 22 of 38
    aegean said:
    I will still stick to series 3 Hermes. First of all, I am all Hermes watch faces. So if/when I am gonna get it, it will always be Hermes edition. I love the new faces but paying another almost 2K is a bit a lot for something that will be obsolete in 11 months time.  
    While the value proposition of that price doesn’t add up for me, it’s not true that the product becomes “obsolete” in 11 months. I’m currently wearing my AW0, it didn’t vanish after 11 months and does more now than it did when I bought it. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 38
    mac_128 said:
    I don’t know, maybe I’m the only one, but when I saw this graphic on screen during the event, I thought it looked like a problem waiting to happen.

Yes the engineering is impressive, but I’m not sure what the point is. All those parts have to be expensive to manufacture and assemble, all to get the equivalent experience of an analogue watch. And I’m not sure it’s really necessary. Considering Apple is eliminating hardware buttons across all of its devices, it really does seem anachronistic — the physical equivalent of a skeuomorphic display. Again, maybe it’s just me, but it seems like the same thing could be handled by sliding ones finger along the edge of the bezel, and with much less potential for something to go wrong mechanically. Anyway, YMMV.

Don’t ever look at the camera assembly, then. No, it’s just you. The crown is great and is no way “equivalent” to a mechanical watch, which don’t even have lists to scroll thru let alone haptic feedback such as the satisfying “thud” when you reach either end of a list. 

My AW0 crown operates as perfectly today as it did over three years ago, and I’ve not heard of anyone with issues. 
    edited September 2018 pscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 38
    The high end model is not gold. Not even close. It's copper in color. Apple's advertising photos make it look a lot more like gold than it really is. I jokingly told my wife its color should be named "polished turd". She returned hers and ordered the stainless steel model.
    It looks nothing like a polished turd. 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 38

mac_128 said:
    mac_128 said:
    I don’t know, maybe I’m the only one, but when I saw this graphic on screen during the event, I thought it looked like a problem waiting to happen.

Yes the engineering is impressive, but I’m not sure what the point is. All those parts have to be expensive to manufacture and assemble, all to get the equivalent experience of an analogue watch. And I’m not sure it’s really necessary. Considering Apple is eliminating hardware buttons across all of its devices, it really does seem anachronistic — the physical equivalent of a skeuomorphic display. Again, maybe it’s just me, but it seems like the same thing could be handled by sliding ones finger along the edge of the bezel, and with much less potential for something to go wrong mechanically. Anyway, YMMV.

The first crown collects dirt and gets stuck if it is not actively used. The new design may protect better against water and dust. Besides, it doesn't seem that complicated. The crown is an absolute necessity because touch interface on such a small area really sucks. I only touch the display to switch faces (since there is no other way) and to go thru complications, the rest of the user experience depends totally on that tiny mechanical dial. It seems that you cannot get rid of the steampunk so easily ;-)

You can clean the Digital Crown under "lightly running, warm, fresh water from a faucet" ! That... is design.
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204522
    Oh I understand the need to improve this fragile mechanical implemenatation over the original. But the fact that so many intricate parts are really necessary at all is the issue — and 21% more I think they said at that.

I also understand the individual users preferences, and I’m not knocking that. I actually kind of like the way it looks (for right handed users, not so much in the inverted left handed orientation). But again, the crown is mainly used for scrolling, which could easily be accomplished by turning the edge of the bezel into a touch strip, not unlike that on the MacBook. Essentially it keeps the finger off the display, and could give the user he same incremental control without moving parts.i also find it a bit tedious to rest the finger on such a tiny pivot point, but that’s just me. 

There was romored talk of removing the second button altogether and making it a touch/haptic virtual button, which didn’t materialize. But that seems the logical future for the watch, just as Apple allegedly seeks to remove the volume buttons from the iPhone. The crown then is the last vestige of that mechanical legacy that to me seems totally unecessary. But again maybe that’s just me.
    There’s nothing inherently wrong with mechanical legacy wheels when a wheel performs a job to be done. See your car — it’s full of wheels, inside and out. Some of the interior wheels perform better than their touch counterparts, such as volume knobs.
    edited September 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 38
    dougddougd Posts: 292member
    Coming soon!  THE APPLE IMPLANT!!!  No need to carry anything in your pocket, on your wrist or in your glasses.  If you want a wet dream tonite, just download it into your implant and enjoy a satisfying night's sleep
  • Reply 27 of 38
    My Series 4 is so far great. From the original apple to this series 4 it is like night and day. The battery so far is great, cellular brilliant and the bigger screen great too.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 38
    Apple Watch Series 4 marks the the first redesign to Apple's popular wearable. AppleInsider walks through the top ten features that make it worth a purchase for users new and old.

Display

The new display is the first, and most obvious, new feature of the latest watches.

New Apple Watch Display

This nearly edge-to-edge display is more than 30-percent larger than previous Apple Watches. Even though the display is larger, the size of the Apple Watch overall has only grown ever-so-slightly outwards, while getting a tad thinner.

Ceramic back

On previous iterations of Apple Watch, the back case was metal, with a glass cover for the heart rate monitor, Ceramic is now swapped for the glass on the higher-end stainless and Edition models.

The swap allows for the new ECG sensor, which Apple will take live in a software update later in the year.

Digital Crown

Apple made a big deal about the Digital Crown this year. It actually has more parts, but is overall able to be smaller and more compact.

Digital Crown

Cellular models no longer have a large red dot, instead adopting a more subtle red ring.

There is also improved haptic feedback, which is very much akin to the glass trackpads on the MacBook Pros. As you rotate the crown, you will feel a tapping, very much making it feel as if there are mechanical notches that are being tripped.

There is also a new metal cap on the crown that acts as an electrode for taking that ECG we mentioned earlier.

ECG

Speaking of the ECG functionality... this is entirely new on the Apple Watch Series 4.

After the software patch rolls out, users can simply hit start, hold a finger on the side of the Digital Crown, and it will take your reading.

This is endorsed by the American Heart Association as well as approved by the FDA. It won't replace a doctor's visit, but it does add a lot to the Apple Watch.

New watch faces

Series 4 contains two exclusive watch faces, as well as several slightly modified ones introduced with watchOS 5.

Infograph Watch Face

The exclusive ones include Infograph and Infograph Modular. Infograph is the most complication-dense face Apple has created, with support for roughly nine complications -- depending on what you count as a complication.

Infograph Modular is a slightly updated version of the popular Modular watch face we've seen many times.

Also new are edge-to-edge version of Vapor, Liquid Metal, and Fire & Water. Older models restrict these to a circle within the display, so they look much more at home on the Series 4.

Gold color

Just like with the iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max, Apple Watch Series 4 got the gold color treatment.

Available in either stainless or aluminum, these new color isn't a gaudy yellow, but more of a subtle tint instead. It also has a slightly copper hue, which should increase the broad appeal.

Bluetooth 5

In 2017, the iPhone X got Bluetooth 5, but the Apple Watch Series 3 stuck with 4.2. Series 4 brings Bluetooth to parity with the iPhone.

Bluetooth 5 has increased throughput and range which should be helpful with any Bluetooth connected accessories or when paired to the latest iPhones.

Gyro

Apple has upgraded the gyroscope accelerometer to now detect twice the dynamic range and up to 32 g-forces. Paired with the faster processor, it can sample eight times faster, which allows it to add new features, such as fall detection.

Whether you slip, trip, or fall, the Apple Watch's new gyroscope accelerometer will detect it, and alert you on your wrist. It will give you the option to say you're ok, or to call emergency services. If the Apple Watch doesn't detect any movement within 60 seconds, emergency services will automatically get that call.

S4 chip

S4 is the brains behind the Apple Watch, and is now twice as fast as its predecessor in the Series 3. We especially noticed this speed when launching apps, or querying Siri.

Apple Watch S4 Chip

The "Silicon in Package" in the S4 incorporates some other previously discrete chipsets, and takes up much less space than in the past. According to Apple, it is the only product in the world that runs completely on a SiP.

Speakers

Walkie-Talkie is a new feature in watchOS 5. That, coupled with the ability to answer FaceTime calls, chat with Siri, make phone calls -- all over Wi-Fi or cellular -- speakers are more important than ever for Apple Watch.

Apple Watch Speakers

Apple has now tuned the speakers to improve the audio quality, as well as boost the volume by 50-percent. This is instantly noticeable as soon as you try them out.

As a bonus, Apple moved the microphone to the opposite side to help reduce echos during phone calls.

Pick one up

If you'd like to pick up an Apple Watch Series 4 for yourself, check out the AppleInsider Price Guide for the best deals.
    well... i won't be picking it up... much as i like it until i can have one on a SEPARATE phone contract from my iPhone i dont want to upgrade... like many people my company pays the cell phone bill and i dont think they will pay for the patch sim...
  • Reply 29 of 38
    wish wish wish wish - that i could have an apple watch with phone contract on a DIFFERENT phone contract to my iPhone - WHY ??? because my company pays the cell phone bill and of course is not about to pay for a plan for the watch...
  • Reply 30 of 38
    ivanhivanh Posts: 597member
    The article said “On previous iterations of Apple Watch, the back case was metal”. Sorry, the back case of my Apple Watch Nike Series 3 is ceramic.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 38
    Chemist83Chemist83 Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    I checked out out the watch at the store. I really like it  over my series 3. I plan to buy it but they don't have the one I want in stock. Who knows, I might just wait until next year. I never really got to enjoy my series 3. I rarely make phone calls on my series 3. I used it the other day in loud traffic, it was ok but I usually have headphones on when I'm on cellular mode with my watch. My only problem in that I get no service with my watch in some areas. If I could try the so called better reception, then I'll find a way to buy it now.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 38
    The high end model is not gold. Not even close. It's copper in color. Apple's advertising photos make it look a lot more like gold than it really is. I jokingly told my wife its color should be named "polished turd". She returned hers and ordered the stainless steel model.
    It looks nothing like a polished turd. 

Beautiful! Love the new tapered screen design. It looks more organic now where the edge gently blend into the case.
    edited September 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 38
    I have a gold S3, this is not new for S4!  

Plus what good is the louder speaker when Apple still restricts you from using it for music or audiobooks?!  FAIL!
  • Reply 34 of 38
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    The colour and sheen of gold are a result of gold's particular crystal structure and so, emulating the colour accurately is impossible. I guess too that only 24 karat (pure) gold will exhibit the quality fully. Anyone compared them? Did Apple not use 9 or 18 karat gold on the case?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 38
    Upgrading from my series 0 to the new 4. Can't wait! So glad my Milanese Loop will work on the new one too given it cost AUD$279 last year! Getting my wife one too but I might have to find a way to turn the Walkie Talkie feature off or I'll never get any peace!!! :open_mouth: 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 38
    netmage said:
    FlashB said:
    netmage said:
    Also, "32 g-forces" is nonsensical.
    Actually, a human falling from 2 meters into sand will suffer 50g of force...

https://vaultcanada.org/FallCalc
    Don’t you mean 50 g-forces? The problem isn’t the number, it's that "g-forces" makes no (English) sense in that context.
    Check the Apple website - they’ve used the same format. 
  • Reply 37 of 38
    netmage said:
    FlashB said:
    netmage said:
    Also, "32 g-forces" is nonsensical.
    Actually, a human falling from 2 meters into sand will suffer 50g of force...

https://vaultcanada.org/FallCalc
    Don’t you mean 50 g-forces? The problem isn’t the number, it's that "g-forces" makes no (English) sense in that context.
    Check the Apple website - they’ve used the same format. 
  • Reply 38 of 38
    laytechlaytech Posts: 335member
    I hope Siri on the Apple Watch can soon read your texts. When away from my iPhone using cellular on my AppleWatch and i ask Siri to read my text, i get a message saying it can only be done on the iPhone. It's a real shame because if you are our walking excising and you get a text, it would be good to have it read to you so you can decide if it is important enough to stop what you are doing. I know, ideally, never answer texts when out but at times, it's important to, hopefully this will change soon.