Hands on with Apple's ornate gold Milanese loop for the Apple Watch

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    volcan said:
    lkrupp said:

And you think your experience is indicative of the entire product? That’s complete baloney. I also purchased a series 0 SS with Milanese band and am still wearing it to this day. No problems with the band needing retightening, no problems with it falling apart constantly, no battery problems, just a quality product that works. 
    I never said it was indicative of the entire product line. I said "I have found..." My personal experience. As far as falling apart I'm pretty sure it is a very uncommon problem. I did find two posts on the Internet where it happened to others. In my case the first time it happened it was still on Apple Care+ but the second time it was out of warranty and it would cost $249 to fix, which I declined.
    They fixed mine out of warranty. You just need to keep trying different reps in chat til you get a good one who will help. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 36
    volcan said:
    lkrupp said:

And you think your experience is indicative of the entire product? That’s complete baloney. I also purchased a series 0 SS with Milanese band and am still wearing it to this day. No problems with the band needing retightening, no problems with it falling apart constantly, no battery problems, just a quality product that works. 
    I never said it was indicative of the entire product line. I said "I have found..." My personal experience. As far as falling apart I'm pretty sure it is a very uncommon problem. I did find two posts on the Internet where it happened to others. In my case the first time it happened it was still on Apple Care+ but the second time it was out of warranty and it would cost $249 to fix, which I declined.
    Don't worry about it @volcan. You were clear that it was your experience only.  Sorry it was a negative one.
  • Reply 23 of 36
    I've stayed away from the woven bands simply because, being retired, I spend a lot of time outdoors working or in vigorous exercise and I could see all those little tiny loops becoming infested with sweat, dirt and grime.

So, I stick to the standard black/grey sports band -- and find that I even have to scrub it on occasion.

But that gold watch and gold band sure do look great.   If I were still working 60-70 hours work weeks as an analyst and consultant, I would be seriously considering one.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 36
    wlymwlym Posts: 102member
    Amazing story! Now, let me tell you about my favorite brand of socks…
    volcan said:

The clasp has a perfectly tuned magnet that holds its place.... 
    Unless they have changed something I have found that not to be true at least on the original silver SS band. Just flexing your wrist will cause it to loosen. I found myself retightening it many, many times during the day. But it is not a problem anymore since I don't use the Apple watch now, because it kept breaking, meaning the whole watch would just fall out of the case for no reason, no mistreatment, just hanging by the ribbon cable. Happened twice so I went back to a heavy duty classic chronometer style diving watch with solar power, which is working out great. It still connects to an iPhone to synchronize the date/time and timezone. The solar power is fantastic. No charging necessary, just wearing it during the day is sufficient to keep it charged 24 hours. I hardly ever used the apps on the Apple Watch anyway so I don't miss any of the functionality. I do see a lot of people wearing Apple Watches these days though.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 36
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Yes, you can spend $150 on that band if that floats your boat. But I have seen black Milanese Loop bands sold on Amazon for $9.00, that held just fine over a year of daily heavy-wear, with absolutely NO signs of any clasp problems or 'fading' of the color or texture. Nine..... Dollars.....  Slips in and lines up perfectly into the band-holders.  Even the magnet is still going strong.
    Sorry, but no. Those are garbage. For fun, I’ve bought over a dozen bands over the past two years. Some from Apple, some from Apple approved companies, and some from cheap Chinese knockoffs. The cheap models can be told from the good ones with just a glance. The gold wears off quickly, they get scratched easily, the clasps get loose, and overall, it just doesn’t feel good.

just reading the reviews on Amazon, which is interesting because so many are fake, saying only good things, there are still a lot of really bad one.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 36
    I've stayed away from the woven bands simply because, being retired, I spend a lot of time outdoors working or in vigorous exercise and I could see all those little tiny loops becoming infested with sweat, dirt and grime.

So, I stick to the standard black/grey sports band -- and find that I even have to scrub it on occasion.

But that gold watch and gold band sure do look great.   If I were still working 60-70 hours work weeks as an analyst and consultant, I would be seriously considering one.
    I wear my watch in the shower, and it gets clean there. Just press the crown to clear out the speaker and mike. It is good to 50 meters after all.
    edited September 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 36
    Could you please tell me which blue sport band was used for the gold stainless steel Apple Watch? Is it the new Blue Horizon? In the Video (0:55) the blue looks so saturated and on the Apple website Horizon Blue looks more pale in comparison. So I wonder if it may be a third party band.
    Anyway, the blue sport band looks amazing with the gold watch.
  • Reply 28 of 36
    melgross said:

I wear my watch in the shower, and it gets clean there. Just press the crown to clear out the speaker and mike. It is good to 50 meters after all.
    Thanks...  But, with a Series 1 I think I might look for alternative cleaning methods!   (Although rumor has it that Tim used that method with a Series 0 -- but I'll pass on the visual!)

But even with a series 4, I'm not sure how effective it would be with dirt from gardening and similar endeavors such as this summer when I rebuilt a flight of stone steps.   The dirt was more underneath in the slots and grooves and such and required more than a rinse.  Actually, a couple times I had to take the band off to get everything clean.

But, as I mentioned, as a professional, things would be different for me.   Not only would I not be out there sweating and playing in the dirt, but appearance would be more important to me.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 36
    melgross said:

Thanks...  But, with a Series 1 I think I might look for alternative cleaning methods!   (Although rumor has it that Tim used that method with a Series 0 -- but I'll pass on the visual!)

But even with a series 4, I'm not sure how effective it would be with dirt from gardening and similar endeavors such as this summer when I rebuilt a flight of stone steps.   The dirt was more underneath in the slots and grooves and such and required more than a rinse.  Actually, a couple times I had to take the band off to get everything clean.

But, as I mentioned, as a professional, things would be different for me.   Not only would I not be out there sweating and playing in the dirt, but appearance would be more important to me.
    What I’ve done with all my watch bracelets over the decades, is to hold them under warm water at the sink, work liquid soap into it, and flex the links so that it can work it’s way in. It’s amazing how much dirt comes out. I then rinse it under a strong flow of warm water, and dry. Since It’s so easy to remove, and replace, that’s a good procedure for an  Watch band on an older watch.

And also, if you remove the bracelet, you can put it into a jewelers ultrasonic bath for cleaning. I’ve got one for my Norelco electric shaver, made by Norelco. I use their cleaner. It works for their shaving heads as well as jewelry. I have much larger, and more powerful models, but they’re too much for this. the Norelco is around $30, or you can find a small one in Amazon, or eBay. This won’t harm the silicone retainers in the band. It works for all their bands except for the leather ones.
  • Reply 30 of 36
    neilmneilm Posts: 985member

The nice thing about Apple's design is that it's quick and easy to change watch bands, something that almost nobody would do with other watches. Keep a Milanese for dress occasions, silicone for dirty work and something else for when you just feel like a change.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 36
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    neilm said:

The nice thing about Apple's design is that it's quick and easy to change watch bands, something that almost nobody would do with other watches. Keep a Milanese for dress occasions, silicone for dirty work and something else for when you just feel like a change.
    The only danger with that depends on what you do using the watch with the other bands. In college I had grosgrain bands that slid through the pins on my Seiko watch. I had a nice leather band that worked the same way for dressier occasions, and different fabric bands for casual and sports. Unfortunately, the latter two instances increased the chance the crystal and case would get scratched and dinged, and took on a grimy appearance, such that the nice leather strap looked out of place on the watch when I wore it to nicer events.

Based on that experience, I'd recommend anyone who wants to have a nicer watch for work/events, should have more than one watch to alternate for casual/sporting wear. At the height of my watch wearing days, I had 3 watches, one that I wore exclusively to formal events, and another nicer watch I alternated for work with a titanium watch I only wore for sports and casual wear.
  • Reply 32 of 36
    mac_128 said:
    neilm said:

The only danger with that depends on what you do using the watch with the other bands. In college I had grosgrain bands that slid through the pins on my Seiko watch. I had a nice leather band that worked the same way for dressier occasions, and different fabric bands for casual and sports. Unfortunately, the latter two instances increased the chance the crystal and case would get scratched and dinged, and took on a grimy appearance, such that the nice leather strap looked out of place on the watch when I wore it to nicer events.

Based on that experience, I'd recommend anyone who wants to have a nicer watch for work/events, should have more than one watch to alternate for casual/sporting wear. At the height of my watch wearing days, I had 3 watches, one that I wore exclusively to formal events, and another nicer watch I alternated for work with a titanium watch I only wore for sports and casual wear.
    The only reason to have watches for other events is if you are trying to impress someone with a more expensive model, or go diving. I did both. But I’ve sold my other watches are am sticking with my black SS Watch. I’m long past the point where I have to impress anyone, and I stopped diving, and so sold my Submariner many years ago.

ive found that this doesn’t get scratched. The blCK SS bracket doesn’t either, and I wear in when in my shop, grinding hard metal. The concern is overblown.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 36
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    melgross said:

I wear my Series 1 in the shower every day. It’s not a problem. 
  • Reply 34 of 36
    ronpronp Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    kurai said:
    AppleInsider, could you double check the claims above about the band pulling through the anchor?  I've read a number of commends on Reddit that suggested that something changed with the series 4 bands that have allowed that to pull through.  This was NOT the case with the original Milanese Loop SS bands, either silver or black, so I don't believe historical data is relevant here.  I'd like to find out from someone with a Gold Milanese Loop if it is possible to pull the band through. 
    I have the new gold milanese with my series 4 and yes it does pull through the bracket.  My old black one doesn't. I talked to the store and they had no answer. But the old magnet felt like it had a little raise in it and the new model does not. I'm lucky it fell on my bed the first night I took it off.
  • Reply 35 of 36
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Yes, you can spend $150 on that band if that floats your boat. But I have seen black Milanese Loop bands sold on Amazon for $9.00, that held just fine over a year of daily heavy-wear, with absolutely NO signs of any clasp problems or 'fading' of the color or texture. Nine..... Dollars.....  Slips in and lines up perfectly into the band-holders.  Even the magnet is still going strong.
    Mine was $11...

http://a.co/d/0qT2tql

I own the black one and it's been great and looks awesome with my plain jane space gray ALU.
  • Reply 36 of 36
    F_Kent_DF_Kent_D Posts: 98unconfirmed, member
    I just got my Series 4 Milanese loop silver stainless and it is remarkably different than my Series 2 was with the same finish. The magnetic clasp will in fact come through the lug that attaches to the watch and it is also most definitely lighter in weight than my last one. Being that the end will come out does make taking it off and putting it on quite a bit more challenging as you have to be very careful that it won’t fall. Especially after having the old one that didn’t separate for so long.