Apple said to be working on fixing 'aggressive' skin smoothing in iPhone XS photos

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2018
Apple is working to solve complaints about excessive smoothing in photos shot with the iPhone XS front-facing camera, which can make images seem fake or even out of focus.

Image Credit: chemicalsam on Reddit
Image Credit: chemicalsam on Reddit

The problem can be seen in photos shared on Reddit, and multiple threads on the site have described Apple's processing as looking like "really poor Photoshopping," "a Snapchat filter," or a "beauty filter." In some instances a person's skin may change to an unnatural color.

AppleInsider has confirmed with sources not authorized to speak on behalf of the company that Apple is looking into the situation. At the same time, we have been told that the effect is not applied universally. It has not manifested on any of the iPhone XS devices that AppleInsider has purchased for review or personal use.

Intelligent photo processing is one of Apple's major bulletpoints for the XS. The phone joins a custom image signal processor with the A12 chip's Neural Engine to enhance photos both before and after shooting, for instance through facial landmarking and Smart HDR.

At present, there isn't any commonality in skin tone or features in the examples to suggest that any one variable is responsible for the effect. Based on the images provided, it appears that the issue is in software, and not hardware, and should be rectifiable with a patch to iOS.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 44
    The XS photo is clearly out of focus. Why is Apple to blame every time a photo is out of focus? Worthless article.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 44
    The question is why I need any camera perform role of Photoshop? This job is doen for publishing using computer (or mobile) software. That does not mean that we want genuine photo to have those corrections. The original photo is supposed to have all details as in reality. Otherwise it is not camera, but some sort of reality corrective device and it is not in the same league with real cameras.
    baconstangaylkcornchipcgWerks
  • Reply 3 of 44
    It has manifested on any of the iPhone XS devices that AppleInsider has purchased for review or personal use.
    The structuring of this sentence makes me feel like it is missing the word "not". 
    netmageStrangeDaystycho_macuseranton zuykovcornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 44
    The XS photo is clearly out of focus. Why is Apple to blame every time a photo is out of focus? Worthless article.
    Apple is working to solve complaints about excessive smoothing in photos shot with the iPhone XS front-facing camera, which can make images seem fake or even out of focus.
    I am sure by this point it has been confirmed it is with the camera and not the user.
    dysamoriaaylkspheric
  • Reply 5 of 44
    The article mentions that the issue can make photos appear out of focus. It is unfortunate we don't know the method used and can only see the result.  Perhaps it is user error, perhaps not.
    sans said:
    It has manifested on any of the iPhone XS devices that AppleInsider has purchased for review or personal use.
    The structuring of this sentence makes me feel like it is missing the word "not". 
    Don't you mean "sans the word 'not'"?  ;)
    aylkcaladanianwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 44
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,336member
    Kinda like a Snapchat photo.
  • Reply 7 of 44
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    Doesn't look like it is, look at the hair on the left.
    netmagegatorguyaylk
  • Reply 8 of 44
    How does "looking into" the claims turn into "working on fixing" in the headline? 
    macplusplusStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 44
    It is not “seems out of focus” it is clearly out of focus. No smoothing algorithm would work like that, otherwise it would ruin all the photos. After so much iPhone business you should be able to distinguish a badly smoothed photo from an out of focus one.
  • Reply 10 of 44
    On the front camera? That sounds like a feature, not a problem. Just because a few people with nothing better to do want to feel important doesn't mean we need to give them attention. Our safe-space, politically hyper-correct culture is getting out of control.
    LukeCagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 44
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,560member
    Um, can we opt-out of the patch? My friends and family, not to mention, selfies, are so much more appealing with the Hollywood effect in place. Why ruin a good thing?   
    randominternetpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 44
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,338member
    On the front camera? That sounds like a feature, not a problem. Just because a few people with nothing better to do want to feel important doesn't mean we need to give them attention. Our safe-space, politically hyper-correct culture is getting out of control.

I saw this a couple of days ago. There are over 2 million views and over 20K comments. It's not surprising that it has turned into a "thing".

D.FIT
  • Reply 13 of 44
    "Makeup!  Makeup!!"
    baconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 44
    If it's limited to the front/selfie camera this sounds like a feature not a bug.  But sure, Apple should consider adding a "show my bad skin" toggle somewhere.
    flashfan207watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 44
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    How does "looking into" the claims turn into "working on fixing" in the headline? 
    I was just about to post the exact same thing.

The headline is misleading, bordering on incorrect.

StrangeDayscornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 44

If it's limited to the front/selfie camera this sounds like a feature not a bug.  But sure, Apple should consider adding a "show my bad skin" toggle somewhere.

Dunno, I've never felt the need to take my own picture, but I have friends who spend a lot of their free time doing it for Facebook, and applying all sorts of odd effects that make them look like their plastic surgeon was high on crack while working.
    baconstangking editor the gratecornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 44
    Bigger news:

Facebook has admitted that it uses your 2-factor authentication phone number to target you for advertising.

https://techcrunch.com/2018/09/27/yes-facebook-is-using-your-2fa-phone-number-to-target-you-with-ads/

This company has somehow discovered an infinite pit of scumminess.

What's really annoying is that I've never given them my phone number, but they got it while culling through my friends' contacts and then matching it up.

edited September 2018 macseekercornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 44

And then not allow you to turn it off until you reboot the phone.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 44
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    jcs2305 said:

I saw this a couple of days ago. There are over 2 million views and over 20K comments. It's not surprising that it has turned into a "thing".

Bozos like that guy are always looking for a “thing” when it comes to Apple. No need to worry about crap like this. Bozos carping about Apple on YouTube and the Internet have had zero effect on Apple’s sales, reputation, and customer service. And never will. They’re just preaching to the choir of long established Apple haters who wouldn’t buy an Apple product to save their grandmother’s life. It’s much like the usual suspects here on AI who attempt to dramatize everything Apple does into a negative for the company.

Speaking of which, it’s been a week since the new products were released and we still don’t have a bona fide “-gate” yet. What are the haters up to this time? 
    cornchiplamboaudi4watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 44
    "AppleInsider has confirmed with sources not authorized to speak on behalf of the company that Apple is looking into the situation"

Besides that being un-official, "looking into" isn't the same as "working on fixing". The words have different meanings. Maybe they will, maybe they won't -- but nothing provided in that sentence confirms the assertion made in the headline.

edited September 2018 cornchipwatto_cobra