What you need to know about the 'Presidential Alert' coming to your iPhone on Wednesday

Posted:
in iPhone
If you live in the U.S., expect to hear a familiar warning tone on your iPhone later on Wednesday -- this time, however, regardless of which part of the country you live in and what your alert settings are. AppleInsider delves into Wednesday's Presidential Alert system test.

FEMA Presidential Alert

The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) will be issuing a "Presidential Alert" to cellphones at 2:18 Eastern time, or 11:18 Pacific. "THIS IS A TEST of the National Wireless Emergency Alert System," a pop-up message should read. "No action is needed."

Despite the name, the alert is not coming directly from the president's desk or smartphone. Rather, in the case of a nationwide emergency, FEMA officials organize with other agencies and the White House before pushing out a message.

FEMA is required to test the National Wireless Emergency Alert System at least once every three years, and since the law behind the system was only passed in 2016, this is the first such trial run. All major phone carriers are participating.

The Presidential alert should sound like the AMBER and weather alerts Americans are used to, but with some important differences. It can't be turned off, and will even reach phones that aren't activated or are missing a SIM card. Only devices that are fully powered off or in the middle of a phone call should go undisturbed.

If you own an Apple Watch, you may also see the alert appear there, so long as it's connected to your iPhone.

FEMA was originally planning to run today's test in September, but that was delayed as the agency had to respond to a real emergency, Hurricane Florence.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Where is the setting to pre-empt that noise ?

And yes, I have BOTH Amber Alerts and Emergency Alerts turned off, at the bottom of Notifications
    HOPEFULLY, that takes care of it.
    edited October 2018 dysamoriadavgreg
  • Reply 2 of 6
    STCSTC Posts: 2unconfirmed, member

And yes, I have BOTH Amber Alerts and Emergency Alerts turned off, at the bottom of Notifications
    That's the thing. No matter what your settings are--even if your phone is on vibrate--unless it's turned completely off, you will receive the notification with it's associated alert sound.
    dysamoriajbdragonJWSCdoozydozenredgeminipa
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator

You can't turn it off preemptively.

FTA: "The Presidential alert should sound like the AMBER and weather alerts Americans are used to, but with some important differences. It can't be turned off, and will even reach phones that aren't activated or are missing a SIM card. Only devices that are fully powered off or in the middle of a phone call should go undisturbed."
    dysamoriajbdragonJWSCdoozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 6

You can't turn it off preemptively.

FTA: "The Presidential alert should sound like the AMBER and weather alerts Americans are used to, but with some important differences. It can't be turned off, and will even reach phones that aren't activated or are missing a SIM card. Only devices that are fully powered off or in the middle of a phone call should go undisturbed."
    Thank you for the answer. 

I just set a reminder to turn off my phone at 2:16 PM this afternoon.
    I’ll take a 20 minute power nap,
    Then Power my iPhone  back on.
    Because that is how I roll 
    dysamorianetmagedoozydozenarlomediadm3watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 6
    majorslmajorsl Posts: 119unconfirmed, member
    ^ I love this idea so much.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    AppleInsider is not the place for your political manifesto. Read the commenting guidelines.
    dysamoriad_2seanjdoozydozenchristophbracerhomie3beowulfschmidt
This discussion has been closed.