What iOS 12 'critical alerts' are, and how to turn them on

Posted:
in iPhone edited October 2020
Many of iOS 12's notification features are intended to remove distractions, but "critical alerts" are meant to do the opposite. Apple hasn't said much about them -- so what are they, and how do they work?

iOS 12 Critical Alerts

On a basic level, critical alerts appear regardless of what you're doing in iOS or what other notification settings you might have enabled. They ignore Do Not Disturb mode, and even ringer settings, so you can't accidentally mute them.

As you might imagine though these could be abused by unscrupulous developers, so they're opt-in only and developers have to seek approval from Apple. The company vets notifications so that only ones related to health, public safety, and home security are supported. One example it offers is a glucose monitoring app, which might push out a warning that your blood sugar is too low.

Typically an app that supports critical alerts will trigger a pop-up asking you to allow them, much like the messages that ask for access to contacts or the camera.

iOS 12 Critical Alerts

Chances are that will be the extent of your interaction, but you can flip alerts off and on at will. Open the Settings app, select Notifications, and then scroll down until you find the app in question. If it supports the feature, you'll see a special Allow Critical Alerts toggle at the top of the app's notification dashboard.

iOS 12 Critical Alerts

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    I guess the Trump FEMA messages are Super Critical Alerts that you can't turn off at all?
    SoundJudgmentGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 2 of 13
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    Here's the dialog I'm sick of... wish there was a way to turn this one OFF!

edited October 2018 berndogSoundJudgment
  • Reply 3 of 13
    But is there a way to turn off this new Do Not Disturb notification? Hoping it's hidden somewhere and I missed it cause I do not ned a reminder that I just turned on Do not disturb.
    mike1
  • Reply 4 of 13
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    cgWerks said:

FaceID makes this extremely bearable.
    SoundJudgmentwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 13
    kevin kee said:
    cgWerks said:

How would FaceID help?
  • Reply 6 of 13
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    cgWerks said:
    kevin kee said:
    cgWerks said:

How would FaceID help?
    FaceID log you in without password. 
  • Reply 7 of 13
    But is there a way to turn off this new Do Not Disturb notification? Hoping it's hidden somewhere and I missed it cause I do not ned a reminder that I just turned on Do not disturb.
    The reminder is not for letting you know that you turned it on (which you obviously are aware of), but for letting you know it is still on (which after many hours you might *not* be aware of anymore).  
    That iPhone X before iOS12 did not have a visible indicator that DND was on, was terribly annoying.. I missed a great deal of phone calls and timely messages just because I forgot that it was on..
    Besides, you can swipe the notification away like all others..
    GeorgeBMacfastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 13
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    I do!   It's happened accidentally more than once and caused problems due to missed messages.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,283member
    Agreed. I lived without this for years. My DND is set for the same period every night. The reminder is actually quite annoying.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 13
    maltzmaltz Posts: 453member
    I guess the Trump FEMA messages are Super Critical Alerts that you can't turn off at all?
    What do they have to do with Trump? The "Presidential" alert system was created by the Obama administration, and I highly doubt Trump was involved at all in the recent test. But no, there are a very few alerts that are considered too critical to turn off, this among them. I guess if you really wanted to avoid ALL alerts, even during national emergencies, you could turn off your phone in a fit of Darwinism. But don't turn on a TV or radio, because you might be exposed to life-saving information there, too.
    cgWerksfastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 13
    kevin kee said:
    FaceID log you in without password. 
    I have TouchID and it doesn't help for this, so I don't think FaceID would solve anything. It seems to be an Apple dialog from some Apple service that either loses it's connection with some core area of authentication, and then randomly pops up this dialog in front of pretty much anything from time to time. It's been happening for like 3 years across iOS versions.

It seems to have stemmed from an email address change I did several years ago that didn't 'take' everywhere within the OS. (i.e.: Apple didn't have ONE core spot where the Apple ID was entered, so different Apple services requested it.) Aside from this kind of things being a security issue (e.g. training users to be phished), it is incredibly annoying. There should be one spot in settings where one enters their Apple ID, and then any kind of dialogs should reference people back to that spot.

It's just poor design, combined with some kind of long-standing bug.

charlesgres said:
    That iPhone X before iOS12 did not have a visible indicator that DND was on, was terribly annoying.. I missed a great deal of phone calls and timely messages just because I forgot that it was on..
    Yeah, agree there. An indicator is good.

But if things pop up in the middle of doing other things, that's pretty bad... unless of course, they are truly critical (unlike the Apple ID popup I noted above).

If I'm playing a game, or recording a tutorial of some app, etc. I don't want the OS or apps popping up stuff unless I'm dying or I'm given some fairly fine control over what things I want to interrupt.

maltz said:
    I guess if you really wanted to avoid ALL alerts, even during national emergencies, you could turn off your phone in a fit of Darwinism. But don't turn on a TV or radio, because you might be exposed to life-saving information there, too.
    LOL, no doubt. But, I think true Dimension B people have become so warped in thinking that they can't even imagine getting anything good or accurate from a government controlled by a supposed dictator. :) It's hard to blame them, though, as that's the message they've been fed 24x7 via the MSM. Propaganda works.
    edited October 2018
  • Reply 12 of 13
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    mike1 said:
    Agreed. I lived without this for years. My DND is set for the same period every night. The reminder is actually quite annoying.
    Swipe it away like any other then. It's not going to ruin your life.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 13
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member

maltz said:
    What do they have to do with Trump? The "Presidential" alert system was created by the Obama administration, and I highly doubt Trump was involved at all in the recent test. But no, there are a very few alerts that are considered too critical to turn off, this among them. I guess if you really wanted to avoid ALL alerts, even during national emergencies, you could turn off your phone in a fit of Darwinism. But don't turn on a TV or radio, because you might be exposed to life-saving information there, too.
    Did the most recent test have a different sound from Amber Alerts and local emergency alerts at least? Because when everyone's phone goes off with that sound, the few seconds before we figure out if it's a missing kid or a flurry of nukes is going to eventually give me a heart attack.