Watch: iPhone XS Max's A12 Bionic smokes Samsung's Galaxy Note 9

Comments

• Reply 41 of 65
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    gatorguy said:
    deminsd said:
    I guess for those who are doing 3D modeling or cancer research or nuclear physics on their phone will be thrilled that the iPhone X Max is much faster than the Note 9.

For everyone else, both phones are realistically very fast and no one is going to complain about speed on either one.

Just one of many people whining about Apple processors being faster and trying to claim it doesn't matter.

I don't do cancer research or nuclear physics on my iOS devices. But I do things like photo/video editing. And the iPhone will destroy any Android device on the planet doing those tasks or any others that require a fast processor.

With iOS I have a choice. With Android you don't.
    Eric, have you tried using Photoshop Express on both your iPhone and and either a Galaxy S8 or 9, or a Note 8 (9 is not released yet) which are considered some of the better Android OS phones? Was there really a serious difference in practice, enough to claim the iPhone "destroyed them"?  It's an honest question, no trolling intended. 

Actually I have.

I routinely call out others and ask them to give me some examples of Android Apps they think are on par with iOS equivalents so I can test them on my iPhones and many Android devices (which, thankfully, are bought by my employer so we can do testing on them). The reason I call on others to do this is because I’ll be accused of cherry-picking if I show some examples of iOS Apps beating their Android counterparts. So I let them make the choices. Unfortunately, nobody ever steps up with suggestions as they know what the results would be.

You picked a bad example with Photoshop Express (which is nothing more than fancy Instagram). Not only does it run better on iOS, but the iOS version comes with many features the Android version doesn’t.
    I wasn't searching for a good or bad example, just an app that folks on both platforms might be using. If they're not equivalent apps anyway then thanks for noting it. Do you have a better example of equivalent yet common apps that you could test? 
    edited October 2018
  • Reply 42 of 65
    bb-15bb-15 Posts: 283member
    gatorguy said:
    lkrupp said:
    tylersdad said:
    It's only important if someone beats Apple. Then it's VERY important I guess. Samsung should have a new slogan...I'm thinking: "Making the phones no one wants but some people end up with."
    People who have Galaxy phones are just as happy with their phones as you are with your iPhone or I am with my iPhone. Can we stop pretending as if Apple is the only company who makes good products or products people want?
    Why should we when the other side refuses to admit it? Try getting a Samsung sycophant to admit Apple products are good. Let us know what happens. The only thing you’ll ever get is a big fat “yeah but..."
    https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/09/12/apples-cheap-iphone-xr-just-ate-googles-lunch/
    https://www.androidcentral.com/iphone-x-review-second-opinion
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/moorinsights/2016/11/15/a-month-with-the-iphone-7-plus-as-a-lifetime-android-user/#28a3438668d8
    https://www.androidcentral.com/five-important-things-ios-does-better-android
    https://www.androidpolice.com/2017/11/21/ive-never-used-iphone-part-one-switching-iphone-x-first-thoughts/
    (Note: that last link is part 1 of a 3-part article, and an excellent read IMO)

Android fan sites that I've come across really aren't afraid to talk about the iPhone or admit to it's advantages over Android. A lot of dedicated Android experts are also iPhone owners and users too. I'm not aware of any AI equivalent super-fan, sometimes over-the-top forum on the Android side. Not saying there might not be one. Somewhere.
    But AppleInsider's forum membership is, well...
    unique AFAICT.

Certainly this is a forum I personally appreciate for the interesting and quite lively discussions, tips, and techniques.
    I have a different experience on internet tech sites and YouTube tech channels. 
    The anti-Apple discussions, mostly uninformed, is a constant theme in most web tech/YouTube tech comments.
    It’s just a fact of life that most people who have smartphones use Android, most don’t know about Apple products and most think they have infallible knowledge to trash Apple. The recent UnBox Therapy uninformed beauty gate accusation is part of a long running anti-Apple agenda in tech media and the comments / views support that.

The anti-Apple bias in tech journalism is followed by the Macalope / MacWorld column. 
    And why does that happen? Because most of the audience believes it. 

For less biased discussions about Apple, I mostly go to the Ars Technica website.
    On YouTube Jon Morrison and Apple Insider do some very informative/balanced videos imo.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 43 of 65
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,022member
    Is it just me or does the Samsung screen have blueish tint to it?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 44 of 65
    try a12 vs kirin 970
  • Reply 45 of 65
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    try a12 vs kirin 970
    Why? If wouldn't even be close.

There is already unofficial benchmarks for the Kirin 980 out, and the A12 is better in all respects, both being 7nm process.

Next up is the QC Snapdragon 855, followed by the Samsung 9820, also at 7nm. 

It's likely that the Samsung will have performance near the A12, excepting single core performance.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 46 of 65
    tylersdad said:
    It's only important if someone beats Apple. Then it's VERY important I guess. Samsung should have a new slogan...I'm thinking: "Making the phones no one wants but some people end up with."
    People who have Galaxy phones are just as happy with their phones as you are with your iPhone or I am with my iPhone. Can we stop pretending as if Apple is the only company who makes good products or products people want?
    So all discussion on products should stop because some people like what they got?

Do you go to car forums and tell them people love their cars so no need to discuss car brands?

Do you go to sports forums and tell them people love their teams so no need to discuss the merits of various teams?

...I suspect not. What the fuck are you talking about here then?

It appears you didn't bother reading the post to which I was responding. Mark Fearing stated that Samsung should change their slogan to "Making the phones no one wants but some people end up with". To which I answered, that people who have Galaxy's like their phones just as much as us. 

Mark's comment is patently wrong. The numbers don't lie. People don't "end up with" a Galaxy. They choose it over the iPhone and other Android phones, as hard as that is for hardcore fanboys like you to believe. 

So, I don't believe all product discussions should stop. What I believe is that people should keep their fucking comments within the realm of reality, instead of trying to tear down other people's devices in an attempt to make themselves feel better about their own purchase. 

They are all good devices. Frankly, I don't really think you can go wrong with either...though I've never used the most recent Galaxy or the most recent iPhones. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 47 of 65
    "As expected, the aging Snapdragon 845[...]" Calling it "aging" is not really reasonable. The first devices to use it reached the market just a few months ago.
    gatorguy
  • Reply 48 of 65
    And 9to5Mac says the Note 9 crushes the XS Max in battery life. Wonder which one users card about more. I think all these tests are silly. Let’s see someone using the device as they normally would and track how it performs and what battery life is like. https://9to5mac.com/2018/10/12/iphone-xs-max-battery-life/
    My X already has all-day battery life. More than, as it's got plenty to spare when I recharge at bed-time. Since daily charging isn't going away, having the best user experience & best hardware paired with the best speed matters more to me than having more battery but with a crummier user experience on crummier hardware. 

Oh but we shouldn't be discussing this! Tylersdad said people love their phones so no need to discuss!
    It appears you lack even the most basic levels of reading comprehension. Go back and read what I said. Go back and read what I was responding to. 

And then go take a long walk off a short pier.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 49 of 65
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    deminsd said:
    I guess for those who are doing 3D modeling or cancer research or nuclear physics on their phone will be thrilled that the iPhone X Max is much faster than the Note 9.

For everyone else, both phones are realistically very fast and no one is going to complain about speed on either one.

Just one of many people whining about Apple processors being faster and trying to claim it doesn't matter.

I don't do cancer research or nuclear physics on my iOS devices. But I do things like photo/video editing. And the iPhone will destroy any Android device on the planet doing those tasks or any others that require a fast processor.

Eric, have you tried using Photoshop Express on both your iPhone and and either a Galaxy S8 or 9, or a Note 8 (9 is not released yet) which are considered some of the better Android OS phones? Was there really a serious difference in practice, enough to claim the iPhone "destroyed them"?  It's an honest question, no trolling intended. 

Actually I have.

I routinely call out others and ask them to give me some examples of Android Apps they think are on par with iOS equivalents so I can test them on my iPhones and many Android devices (which, thankfully, are bought by my employer so we can do testing on them). The reason I call on others to do this is because I’ll be accused of cherry-picking if I show some examples of iOS Apps beating their Android counterparts. So I let them make the choices. Unfortunately, nobody ever steps up with suggestions as they know what the results would be.

You picked a bad example with Photoshop Express (which is nothing more than fancy Instagram). Not only does it run better on iOS, but the iOS version comes with many features the Android version doesn’t.
    I wasn't searching for a good or bad example, just an app that folks on both platforms might be using. If they're not equivalent apps anyway then thanks for noting it. Do you have a better example of equivalent yet common apps that you could test? 

As I already stated, there are no comparable Apps on Android that can be compared to iOS. They simply don't exist. The two examples I already gave (Pixelmator and Affinity) are so far beyond what's available on Android it's not even funny.

A better test would be for you to pick the absolute best Apps on Android in certain categories (like photo, video or illustration) and see how they compare to some mid-range and high-end iOS Apps that perform the same functions.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 50 of 65
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    deminsd said:

Actually I have.

As I already stated, there are no comparable Apps on Android that can be compared to iOS. They simply don't exist. The two examples I already gave (Pixelmator and Affinity) are so far beyond what's available on Android it's not even funny.

A better test would be for you to pick the absolute best Apps on Android in certain categories (like photo, video or illustration) and see how they compare to some mid-range and high-end iOS Apps that perform the same functions.
    I personally wouldn't know. I don't do my photo-editing on a smartphone and wouldn't bother to.  Display's on phones and tablets are far too small & limiting for me, tho probably fine for some others. A 32" BenQ is my preferred display.

So no apps are available for you to test whether an iPhone processor  "smokes" all others in actual practice then. No matter, I was simply curious. 
    edited October 2018
  • Reply 51 of 65
    deminsd said:
    deminsd said:

You have a choice of WHAT with iOS?  

If you're part of the handful of people that rely on their phone to do heavy photo/video editing, then by all means, get an iPhone X Max.  If you're the rest of the world, then get whatever you want because you'll probably not notice a difference when checking email, doing Facebook, or streaming a movie.

I have a choice to perform high-end functions on an iPhone or iPad because I have access to such software that simply doesn't exist on Android.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 52 of 65
    deminsd said:
    deminsd said:

You have a choice of WHAT with iOS?  

If you're part of the handful of people that rely on their phone to do heavy photo/video editing, then by all means, get an iPhone X Max.  If you're the rest of the world, then get whatever you want because you'll probably not notice a difference when checking email, doing Facebook, or streaming a movie.

I have a choice to perform high-end functions on an iPhone or iPad because I have access to such software that simply doesn't exist on Android.
    I thought you just said the problem was the software didn't exist. You're not providing evidence that the hardware itself is lacking on all Android devices AFAICT. 
  • Reply 53 of 65
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    deminsd said:

Actually I have.

I personally wouldn't know. I don't do my photo-editing on a smartphone and wouldn't bother to.  Display's on phones and tablets are far too small & limiting for me, tho probably fine for some others. A 32" BenQ is my preferred display.

So no apps are available for you to test whether an iPhone processor  "smokes" all others in actual practice then. No matter, I was simply curious. 

Yes they exist. When comparing identical Apps that happen to be available on both platforms, the iOS version will almost universally outperform the Android version. As I said, there's no point in me picking examples as I'll be accused of intentionally choosing one that makes Android look bad. If you (or Deminsd or Avon B7) wants to suggest some Apps I'll happily run them on my iPhones and Android devices to see how they perform. As I stated above, I've made this request numerous times before, but nobody ever steps up to suggest anything.

The real test of a processor is when you have Apps that perform functions that others can't perform because they lack the power to do so (like my Algoriddim example). iPhones and iPads having fast processors have spurred the development of a whole range of quality high-end Apps on iOS. People who claim processor speed is irrelevant are, to be blunt, idiots.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 54 of 65
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    deminsd said:

Actually I have.

Yes they exist. When comparing identical Apps that happen to be available on both platforms, the iOS version will almost universally outperform the Android version. As I said, there's no point in me picking examples as I'll be accused of intentionally choosing one that makes Android look bad. If you (or Deminsd or Avon B7) wants to suggest some Apps I'll happily run them on my iPhones and Android devices to see how they perform. As I stated above, I've made this request numerous times before, but nobody ever steps up to suggest anything.

The real test of a processor is when you have Apps that perform functions that others can't perform because they lack the power to do so (like my Algoriddim example). iPhones and iPads having fast processors have spurred the development of a whole range of quality high-end Apps on iOS. People who claim processor speed is irrelevant are, to be blunt, idiots.
    I don't know myself, maybe the others do. My best guess would be some resource intensive game that's on both platforms. That's where the most app money is spent anyway  and a LOT more common use rather than high-end photo editing. . Maybe try Fortnite on both, would that work?

EDIT: My son just suggested Modern Combat Versus because he has both Android and iPhone friends playing it. 
    He's a gamer. I'm not, so I'll take his suggestion if Fortnite won't do. Maybe try both?
    edited October 2018
  • Reply 55 of 65
    The iPhone might be faster in benchmarks, but most Youtube reviewers choose the Galaxy Note 9 because it has a stylus which the iPhone doesn't. The Note 9's magical stylus seems to outweigh the powerful A12 Bionics chip in overall smartphone usage. I almost forgot. Everyone hates the iPhone's display notch and lack of a headphone jack, so usually the Note 9 wins over reviewers hearts and minds. Oh, well... Maybe next year, if the A13 (xxxxx) chip is three times faster than the next Qualcomm SoC. /s
  • Reply 56 of 65
    lkrupp said:
    tylersdad said:
    Artificial benchmarks are one thing, how does it do in real world testing? Put them side-by-side and use them. Does there really feel like that much of a difference in performance?
    Yeah, right. Funny how benchmarks have suddenly become meaningless now that Apple’s A series processors have taken the lead. But then there will always be something the Apple trolls can find to boast about. It used to be processors, now it’s cameras. What’s next from you people?
    The Note 9 has an active stylus, a headphone jack, a huge battery and a microSD slot. I think that's more than enough for Android smartphone users to boast about. Most reviewers have chosen the Note 9 as the smartphone of the year. Apparently, the iPhone came up short again this year.
  • Reply 57 of 65
    tylersdad said:
    deminsd said:

Exactly. Very well said.
    err... Opinions vary...

it's this head room in computational power that makes the little stuff work so much better... maybe not now, but in an iteration or 2 of code.
     Yes, you can read mail and browser pretty much as fast as you can read... but the buttery smoothness of the interface is because of that 'idle' CPU.   It's the dragginess I hate on other phones.    

And the Javascript performance due to the new instructions will make just about every web page read faster... yes.. You're capped by the network, and by the server end... but eventually the interactions are better* 

(*unless stupid programmers will still do stuff like doing 'server side keystroke validation' [if you're gonna do it, do it client side on keystroke, and revalidate input on the server side when you pass the object].  Bad programmers will always trump great hardware )

watto_cobra
  • Reply 58 of 65

Hemanlive said:
    No surprise that it has become a Apple vs. Samsung debate. But the fact nowadays is that the flagship phones have become so good that one won't be disappointed be any of the flagship phones.

So going by the benchmark tests, Apple has fastest processor, huawei best camera and Google best AI.
    It just boils down to the ecosystems of apple and android finally followed by costs
    agreed...  eventually of the millions of android phones, there are only really 4 phones to choose from if you want a 'pocket computer.'   If you just want a phone, that also does texting and a couple kewl apps... you can have one of those for $99.

You pick [and stay with] an ecosystem.   While it's pretty easy to migrate either way now, it's still a barrier of entry.  Eventually,  This will shift upward to be.  Samsung, Google, Microsoft [on Android and visa versa as it's notebook/masses play and on iOS for corporate ,  and screwing Mac's ], and Apple are the only players in the long game.   

And I still see Samsung slowly losing that battle, although like Microsoft, it's lead in selling high end android will keep it alive long enough that it could retool if it had too.   But in the end, software will eat hardware, and ecosystems are all about the software, and Samsung isn't software.   Apple just makes hardware that allows the creation of great device-specific software.  

Google... will try to push it's indirect revenue model, and will survive in the small org market, that 'good enough' is good enough.  Note it's distancing itself from Android in it's own marketing, as if that's a bad thing.  But in the end, it's the new 'old' Microsoft... great at a lot of things, but no cohesive business plan... no 'one ring to rule them all'  mindset that is compelling to 'buyers' (vs 'users').

Apple we know...

Microsoft is the dark horse, but, probably the strongest outside of Apple
    (don't discount corporate sales... if one IT Director with 10 programmer/admins likes windows 10, O365 and AD....  60,000 users [7.2M a year in subscription fees] drones will be required to buy a Surface 2 [$16M a year], is a nice scalable invoice to avoid the costs of hiring/firing/reviewing/replacing 100+ staff around to support your desktops)

edited October 2018
  • Reply 59 of 65
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    lkrupp said:
    tylersdad said:
    Artificial benchmarks are one thing, how does it do in real world testing? Put them side-by-side and use them. Does there really feel like that much of a difference in performance?
    Yeah, right. Funny how benchmarks have suddenly become meaningless now that Apple’s A series processors have taken the lead. But then there will always be something the Apple trolls can find to boast about. It used to be processors, now it’s cameras. What’s next from you people?
    The Note 9 has an active stylus, a headphone jack, a huge battery and a microSD slot. I think that's more than enough for Android smartphone users to boast about. Most reviewers have chosen the Note 9 as the smartphone of the year. Apparently, the iPhone came up short again this year.
    These are all interesting discussions, but raw power is good thing and quality software is a great thing too. 

It seems iPhone/iOS have got both bases covered but power of itself doesn’t mean a whole lot. The Nintendo switch is a 720p device but extremely well regarded amongst gamers. You don’t need a powerful device for a great experience, although it would never hurt :-)
  • Reply 60 of 65
    lkrupp said:
    tylersdad said:

iPhone always loses out every year and nobody bothers to buy them. Oh wait....

As to the Note 9 - I have a few co-workers who have Note devices (Note 5 and Note 8). The ONLY time I've seen them use the stylus is when they first got their new phone and wanted to show me how cool it was. It's also interesting that Samsung puts a stylus on a device that comprises a tiny fraction of their overall sales, and their most popular device in the history of the company (Galaxy S class) doesn't come with a stylus. It's a niche device at best that people try to make out as the "best thing ever".
    watto_cobra