Watch: iPhone XS Max's A12 Bionic smokes Samsung's Galaxy Note 9

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 65
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member
    zimmie said:
    MplsP said:
    The loosing side typically makes the 'it's the user experience that matters, not benchmarks' claim. To a certain extent, that is quite true. Personally, I'm incredibly impressed by the performance that Apple's new processors can achieve. I'm still on a 6s, so I'm pretty sure any of the current iPhones would blow my phone out of the water. For that matter, the newer Android phones probably would, too.
    You might be surprised. The Qualcomm Snapdragon 845 as used in the just-launched Pixel 3 roughly matches the A9 used in the iPhone 6s and SE. Samsung's own top-end processors are about 18 months ahead of that, then Apple's processors are another 18 months ahead of Samsung's.
    Awwww man! Now you're making me want to get an Xs just when I had convinced myself that my 6s was good for another year!
    lkrupp said:
    tylersdad said:
    Artificial benchmarks are one thing, how does it do in real world testing? Put them side-by-side and use them. Does there really feel like that much of a difference in performance?
    Yeah, right. Funny how benchmarks have suddenly become meaningless now that Apple’s A series processors have taken the lead. But then there will always be something the Apple trolls can find to boast about. It used to be processors, now it’s cameras. What’s next from you people?
    The Note 9 has an active stylus, a headphone jack, a huge battery and a microSD slot. I think that's more than enough for Android smartphone users to boast about. Most reviewers have chosen the Note 9 as the smartphone of the year. Apparently, the iPhone came up short again this year.

If you want a headphone jack, then iPhones aren't for you. Personally, I still think getting rid of the headphone jack was boneheaded, but I'm in the minority around here. Not sure if it's because of actual opinions or from intrinsic pro-Apple bias, but either way that's what it is.

In my 8+ years of owning iPhones, I haven't once needed a SD slot. Again, if this is a critical feature to you, then an iPhone isn't for you, but for me and many others it's never been an issue. 

As far as battery life goes, pretty much everyone charges their phone every night. The real issue for people is if they can get through their typical day without the battery limiting their use. I've seen comparisons favoring both phones, so what I take away from that is it really depends how you use the phone and what apps you use. 

So yes, these are points that can be legitimately raised in reviews, but for many (most?) people they are irrelevant to their purposes and so become artificial comparators. 

One of the big, silent benefits to iPhones that I've mentioned before is the fact that the strong processors and iOS design and integration allow them to remain functional for a longer period. My 6s was released in September, 2015. It is still a very functional phone that does everything I need it to, even with the latest version of iOS. My wife used her 4s for 5+ years before it finally died. I don't need the latest hardware; I just need a phone to do what I need it to do. Having a phone that stays functional longer (as well as having up to date, secure software) is huge in terms of the value proposition. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 62 of 65
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    tylersdad said:
    Artificial benchmarks are one thing, how does it do in real world testing? Put them side-by-side and use them. Does there really feel like that much of a difference in performance?
    Well I’m don’t know about the android devices but my XS does web browsing as well and at times better than my laptop running Linux.  Rather shocking actually.   When I upgraded I didn’t expect this level of performance.   
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 63 of 65
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    deminsd said:
    I guess for those who are doing 3D modeling or cancer research or nuclear physics on their phone will be thrilled that the iPhone X Max is much faster than the Note 9.

For everyone else, both phones are realistically very fast and no one is going to complain about speed on either one.
    Apps expand to use available resources.  The nice thing with the A12 is that it offers a lot of head room for developers that fill.  Think about it most of these benchmarks don’t even consider Neural engine.  

In any event I’ve learned over the years to ever dismiss performance.  Right now though I’m so impressed with XS performance that I have hardly put it down today.  It is an interesting for day so I’m free to play and experiment.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 64 of 65
    Unfortunately, almost no one cares about processor bench results. Most Youtubers were mainly impressed with the Note 9's versatile stylus, much better battery life and huge storage expand-ability options with the microSD slot. Plus there's no display notch and the Note 9 has both a headphone jack and fast charger supplied. Most Youtubers' smartphone of choice was the Note 9. Supposedly, the Note 9's processor was deemed fast enough so that was also a factor in the choice of the Samsung Note 9 being declared smartphone of the year and the iPhone XS coming in a distant second.

Apple is trying with improving the iPhone but only halfheartedly. Meanwhile Samsung is throwing dozens of smartphones on the wall to see what sticks and consumers seem to like that choice. Of course, we'll have to wait and see how well iPhone sales are this season and hopefully the imminent iPhone XR might help boost sales. Apple will never be praised by Wall Street for having powerful mobile processors while losing mobile market share percentage. Market share percentage seems to be the main metric of how Wall Street measures success.

As an Apple shareholder, I think Apple is doing quite well but could still do a lot better in beating the tar out of Samsung and gaining a bit more market share at the high-end. Until the iPhone's A-series processor can do things no other Android smartphone processor can do, Apple is still going to be criticized for increasing iPhone prices.
    edited October 2018
  • Reply 65 of 65
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    @ericthehalfbee ;
    Have you had a chance to test those two games on your iPhone and something like a Samsung S9?