Apple Maps team spotted doing on-foot sensor recon in San Francisco

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 49
    dsddsd Posts: 186member
    cecil444 said:
    Just to give Apple Maps a little love here: I was recently in Budapest and was delighted to see Apple Maps had walking and transit directions there. They were excellent. I compared them to Google the entire time and Apple Maps was actually better! At one point I was in a park and Google told me to take a right down a path but in real life it led to the edge of a cliff. How embarrassing for them! Apple Maps had the more accurate route — the path was exact and true to real life, and directed me to a real place and not to a cliff edge. I think when Apple finishes all these latest updates they’re going to really give Google a run for their money.
    There's got to be a google lemmings joke in here somewhere.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 49
    claire1claire1 Posts: 510unconfirmed, member
    What strikes me as odd is how obvious the guys equipment it. The backpack even says "Apple Maps".

Must not be a secretive project. But WHY?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 43 of 49
    Johan42Johan42 Posts: 163member
    volcan said:
    lkrupp said:
    Really, nobody gives a rat’s patootie what you do.
    So the poor functionality I described is just fine and dandy for you?
    Apple maps has been vastly superior to google maps since 2012.  Your complaints are not indicative of a serious problem.
    No, it has not. As much as I hate to admit it... Google Maps is still superior to Apple Maps.
  • Reply 44 of 49
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,907member
    My back hurts just looking at this! 
    That mast looks like carbon fiber. I gotta figure they have made some pretty agressive (expensive) design choices to keep it light.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 45 of 49
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,954member
    Notsofast said:
    pascal007 said:
    As much as I would like it to be otherwise, Volcan’s complaint is real and fully reproducible where I live too. There’s no point in attacking Volcan because he “dares” to note that Apple services are not perfect… because: they clearly aren’t.

Also: while I’d very much like to avoid using Google Map, I have no choice but use it. It’s fun to see all these guys in SF. At this point in time, SF must have near-perfect mapping in Apple Map. Unfortunately, where I live, Apple’s maps are still replete with errors and outdated data, more than 6 years after their debut. (And I’ve sent my fair share of bug reports.) Apple Guys and Cars are nowhere to be seen, but should. Some roads build three years ago are still not updated. How can Apple expect anyone to use their service? Hey, Apple, there’s a whole world outside SanFran!

Apple has spend billions and many years to build its own "base map."  They have been dependent on sources such as TomTom to make updates, etc., but thankfully now Apple is rolling out its own.  It will take a good year or so to roll it out worldwide.  Enjoy!

What are you talking about exactly?

And while we’re pointing out how Apple maps could be better, I just got off the phone with my wife who is stuck in traffic on the way home from visiting her mom. She was wanting to know how close the next exit was because one of the kids needed to use the restroom. It’s extremely irritating that maps doesn’t tell you the exit number. It’s a seemingly obvious piece of information that I don’t think is called out in google maps either. What number is the exit?! How hard is that?!?!
  • Reply 46 of 49
    cornchip said:
    Notsofast said:
    pascal007 said:
    As much as I would like it to be otherwise, Volcan’s complaint is real and fully reproducible where I live too. There’s no point in attacking Volcan because he “dares” to note that Apple services are not perfect… because: they clearly aren’t.

Also: while I’d very much like to avoid using Google Map, I have no choice but use it. It’s fun to see all these guys in SF. At this point in time, SF must have near-perfect mapping in Apple Map. Unfortunately, where I live, Apple’s maps are still replete with errors and outdated data, more than 6 years after their debut. (And I’ve sent my fair share of bug reports.) Apple Guys and Cars are nowhere to be seen, but should. Some roads build three years ago are still not updated. How can Apple expect anyone to use their service? Hey, Apple, there’s a whole world outside SanFran!

Apple has spend billions and many years to build its own "base map."  They have been dependent on sources such as TomTom to make updates, etc., but thankfully now Apple is rolling out its own.  It will take a good year or so to roll it out worldwide.  Enjoy!

And while we’re pointing out how Apple maps could be better, I just got off the phone with my wife who is stuck in traffic on the way home from visiting her mom. She was wanting to know how close the next exit was because one of the kids needed to use the restroom. It’s extremely irritating that maps doesn’t tell you the exit number. It’s a seemingly obvious piece of information that I don’t think is called out in google maps either. What number is the exit?! How hard is that?!?!
    I definitely get exit numbers when using Maps for guidance.  However, I also use CarPlay so it’s possible the interface is different. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 47 of 49
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    cornchip said:
    Notsofast said:
    pascal007 said:

I definitely get exit numbers when using Maps for guidance.  However, I also use CarPlay so it’s possible the interface is different. 
     Maybe a locality thing. I get the exit number and a warning to change lane.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 48 of 49
    volcan said:
    Sorry to bring up a sore subject but Siri just sucks. I asked her on Wednesday to give me the address of a specific Kaiser Permenente location and she kept saying I found 11 locations near you, click on the one you want, however all the names were truncated so you could not determine which was which. I only wanted the one specific location which I asked for by name but she refused. Same thing when searching directly in Maps. Complete fail. I'm sure you can guess how I solved this problem.
    No apologies necessary. Siri is terrible. That particular issue happens all the time, and it's so frustrating.

And like so many things siri/intelligence related, the failure is due to poor design.. not privacy, not highly complex technology, etc.

The first location suggested is usually not right. All they need to do is allow you to pick one, and have the others show up on the map when it opens. But no, that would be too easy. You have to click on one, hope its the right one, and when it's not, you have to re-type in the search in the maps app to bring up all of the locations so you can select the right one. So stupid.

It's inexcusable that a request for "show me _____ on _____ street" completely disregards the street info. (I just now tested it again using a common food chain in my area.)
    edited October 2018