iPad mini 5 refresh predicted, but may not be at October iPad Pro & Mac event

Posted:
in iPad edited March 2022
Two new iPad Pro models with USB-C, better displays, a new-design Apple Pencil, and refreshed Macs are likely coming to Apple's Oct. 30 event, but analyst Ming-Chi Kuo suspects an iPad mini refresh is coming soon as well.

In a note seen by AppleInsider TF Securities' Ming-Chi Kuo reiterates some of his previous thoughts about the October Apple event. He is still predicting the iPad Pro refresh that he has been talking for about three months, as well as a new low-price notebook model, with the possibility of new processors for existing models getting new processors.

However, not previously mentioned is the possibility for a new "iPad mini 5" in 2018. In Tuesday's note, the analyst predicts "a new iPad mini equipped with an upgraded processor and a lower-cost panel" is coming, but also says that the firm is not certain whether it will be announced during the event. Kuo does not give any timetable for release if it does not appear at the event, however.

Also not clear is pricing. Apple's current low-end iPad that it revealed earlier in the year already retails for $329. The iPad mini 4 is still available, currently sells for $399 for 128GB of storage, and still has the A8 processor.

Regarding the Mac, Kuo believes that MacBook models, iMac models, and Mac mini are expected to see updates. But, the magnitude of those updates isn't clear, at present. Rumors about a low-cost MacBook Air refresh, or redesign, have been swirling since March.

Kuo continues to expect that new AirPods and the AirPower charging pad will arrive at some point in the end of 2018 or early 2019. This is not a new revelation, rather the analyst has been saying this since September.

The iMac 5K has been previously rumored to get a higher-performing display. The latest rumors surrounding the Mac mini suggest that it will get a "professional" upgrade -- but specifically what that means is unknown.

After introduction in 2012 and yearly updates for the next three years, Apple's iPad Mini line hasn't been updated since the release of the iPad Mini 4 in the fall of 2015. A report in late August from a different source suggested that the iPad mini wasn't going to see an update in 2018.

AppleInsider will be at the fall "There's more in the making" event, where we expect new iPad Pros, and maybe even new Macs! Keep up with our coverage by downloading the AppleInsider app for iOS, and follow us on YouTube, Twitter @appleinsider and Facebook for live, late-breaking coverage. You can also check out our official Instagram account for exclusive photos.

Read on AppleInsider
tmay

Comments

• Reply 1 of 61
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    Did not see that iPad Mini refresh coming. It will be interesting to see if it comes under the current $329 pricing, or if it is a new price point under the 10 inch pro, and with pro features.

vukasikachristopher126netmage
  • Reply 2 of 61
    Wow... I stand corrected if this occurs.
    christopher126
  • Reply 3 of 61
    I have a mini 4 and it is by far my favorite Apple device (out of an X, HomePod, AppleTV, 8, AirPod and iPad Pro).  I like it so much that I was planning on buying a second mini 4 as a backup immediately upon any confirmation of the death of the mini line.  If this is true (that the mini is refreshed), that would be great news.  Even though it is old (it runs an A8!), the mini 4 still runs super fast, it weighs nothing, battery life is amazing, etc.  It's just a great blend of lots of things. Or, put otherwise, every device (even an XS) is a compromise in some dimension - the mini 4 feels like it balances qualities in a way to deliver the fewest possible compromises.
    wlymcgWerksraoulduke42hubbaxirelandMisterKitchristopher126beowulfschmidtargonautharry wild
  • Reply 4 of 61
    I have a mini 4 and it is by far my favorite Apple device (out of an X, HomePod, AppleTV, 8, AirPod and iPad Pro).  I like it so much that I was planning on buying a second mini 4 as a backup immediately upon any confirmation of the death of the mini line.  If this is true (that the mini is refreshed), that would be great news.  Even though it is old (it runs an A8!), the mini 4 still runs super fast, it weighs nothing, battery life is amazing, etc.  It's just a great blend of lots of things. Or, put otherwise, every device (even an XS) is a compromise in some dimension - the mini 4 feels like it balances qualities in a way to deliver the fewest possible compromises.
    I fully agree. the mini is great for all the casual things that don't require very fancy (hardware input) options, but a sufficiently large display. I'd really like to refresh my mini 4.
    netmagewozwozargonautharry wild
  • Reply 5 of 61
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    In a recent rumour we saw code numbers for three different iPad Pro's (plus three more for the cellular versions). However Apple offers presently only two iPad Pro's. This already hinted toward a new iPad model.

The new report reinforces the idea that the third code number is for the iPad mini, either as a new "Pro" sibling or simply as an updated one in the old mini 4 chassis.
  • Reply 6 of 61
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    I'll believe it when I see it. Then I'll buy it. I have the original iPad mini, and use it all the time. 
    cgWerksirelandwozwoz
  • Reply 7 of 61
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    Such a move by Apple would give me some hope that they 'have a clue'.
    And... also gives me some hope that they might update the SE at some point, too.

Maybe it's just Apple marketing... i.e.: make people think the SE and iPad mini are gone so they buy regular iPads and iPhone XRs and stuff like that, THEN release updated products and hope for even more sales. But, in the meantime, the ASP goes up, which they like for Wall Street.
    muthuk_vanalingamchristopher126netmagewozwoz
  • Reply 8 of 61
    Predicted based on what exactly?
    cgWerks
  • Reply 9 of 61
    Great news if true. I love my mini 4 and use it all the time.
    netmagewozwoz
  • Reply 10 of 61
    Yeah, my fear as well.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 11 of 61
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,663member
    eightzero said:
    I'll believe it when I see it. Then I'll buy it. I have the original iPad mini, and use it all the time. 
    Same here with my Mini 2. The battery still lasts an amazingly long time. It puts the Air 2 to shame.

Still prefer the mini form factor to the Air 2 but if they remove the forehead, chin and reduce the bezels, things will only get better. I don't need cellular capability either.

Keeping my fingers crossed.
    muthuk_vanalingamchristopher126harry wild
  • Reply 12 of 61
    As I've posted in other articles, I have two people in my own family with minis who won't buy another iPad if Apple doesn't make another. And, from circles of friends, they seem to be popular with people outside my family as well.

It would be a tragic mistake not to refresh it.
    wozwozargonaut
  • Reply 13 of 61
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,699member
    Pure speculation.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 14 of 61
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,279member
    Might there be enough demand among institutional and Enterprise customers to justify an upgrade. I can imagine many instances where a 9.7" or 10.5" iPad is not the best tool for the job.
    netmage
  • Reply 15 of 61
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    I don't think the iPad mini deserves to exist. The iPad is being more and more as a content creation device and as a Mac replacement (for some) and the mini is just too small to adhere to the expectations of the modern iPad, and what it can be. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 16 of 61
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    If they can announce AirPower on stage a year before it might be released, they will mention iPad mini here. The only reason they don’t is the update is simply a sad minor speed bump.
  • Reply 17 of 61
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    slurpy said:
    I don't think the iPad mini deserves to exist.
    Young kids.
    cgWerksargonaut
  • Reply 18 of 61
    Could this event be where the first new Apple Thunderbolt 3 Display gets introduced? 

It makes sense to me. The event focus is on creatives and imagery, there seem to be supply-chain rumors of new iMac displays, the Mac mini is due and needs a display (yes, some people use them headless but Apple won’t market it that way — they will present it as they always have, with an Apple display), and any new MacBook/Pro model/refresh could obviously use one. Also note recent stock-reduction flash sales of the LG Thunderbolt display ($269, I believe).

The writing is on the wall: the new Apple display is happening this month!
    edited October 2018 fastasleep
  • Reply 19 of 61
    slurpy said:
    I don't think the iPad mini deserves to exist. The iPad is being more and more as a content creation device and as a Mac replacement (for some) and the mini is just too small to adhere to the expectations of the modern iPad, and what it can be. 
    For many (most?) the iPad is still primarily a consumption device. Apple wishing that weren't the case won't change that. They need to do a lot of work in terms of the OS, to fix the deficiencies they purposely introduced that have kept it largely that way. Maybe someday... but even then, a lot of people will still use it for consumption (just like many still do their laptops and desktops!).
    muthuk_vanalingamharry wildnetmagewozwozargonaut
  • Reply 20 of 61
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,163member
    ireland said:
    slurpy said:
    I don't think the iPad mini deserves to exist.
    Young kids.
    Fits well in lab coats, doctors pocket doing ward work, great for running about collecting data after a natural disaster, reading in bed, wherever slightly smaller size is of benefit really.
    cgWerksunbeliever2dewmeharry wildnetmagewozwozargonaut