UK blames Apple for issues with iOS 'Brexit' app over lack of iPhone NFC access

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    So just so make sure I have this clear.

The UK government embarks on a project, with no tangible benefits but with the dogged hubris that we will have our cake and eat it because … well … we're the British and everyone else isn't. And when the EU doesn't agree to fall into line with the sh*tshow we started, that's the EU's fault.

The government embarks on a project with no tangible benefits, thinking that because we're the British, Apple will compromise its phone for everyone else just to accommodate us. When the functionality that no one guaranteed fails to show up, that is Apple's fault.

Well, the UK government gets full marks for being consistent in their stupidity.

edited November 2018 lostkiwiargonautmattinoz
  • Reply 22 of 42
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    For something like this, I think it would have been better to go with like a QR code type thing. Just because it works on any phone with a camera. Because not all Android phones have NFC. Maybe they should have thought this through a little better. On the other hand, I would have thought at this point that Apple would have opened up NFC to 3rd party's for other uses.
  • Reply 23 of 42
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    jbdragon said:
    For something like this, I think it would have been better to go with like a QR code type thing. Just because it works on any phone with a camera. Because not all Android phones have NFC. Maybe they should have thought this through a little better. On the other hand, I would have thought at this point that Apple would have opened up NFC to 3rd party's for other uses.
     Apple never said they were opening NFC for anything, so it was stupid of the government to base the project on something that doesn't exist.
    chialostkiwileavingthebigg
  • Reply 24 of 42
    Brexit. The gift that keeps on giving... 
    MacPro
  • Reply 25 of 42
    All this trouble for the two or three insane EU citizens who would want to apply for "settled status" in the UK.
  • Reply 26 of 42
    jdgazjdgaz Posts: 404member
    I am kind of waiting for the whole EU thing to fall flat on its face. 2020 the year of EU divorce.
    entropyswilliamlondon
  • Reply 27 of 42
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    The actual issue underlying all this stuffing around is that the political class actually doesn’t want, Brexit. And incompetence by the government department’s IT section. That would be typical. My iPhone has such a heavy profile on it, it might as well be a feature phone.
    As for Scotland, if they left the UK who would pay for Scotland’s remittance? France? Lol.
  • Reply 28 of 42
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,031member
    Well, we need to just wait while the story develops. There are two stories. The first is Apple’s lack so far of a  public API to access their NFC — without compromising security. The second is what I suspect will be android security breaches that will cause the Android app to fail in some important way. 
  • Reply 29 of 42
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    There are bound to be issues when technocrats and bureaucrats collide. The bureaucrats' assumption that Apple would somehow adhere to their wishes - based on what? - is evidence of how broken the lines of communication truly are and how ill prepared the bureaucrats are for guiding their stakeholders through the transition period. Relying on third party platforms and voluntary resources like personally owned smartphones is amateurish at best and incompetence at worst. Why not control the mandated process by installing kiosks for the intended purpose at government owned facilities like post offices, passport offices, and government buildings? Yes, this costs real money, but it's all part of the total cost of carrying out the policy change that the people voted for and by inference decided they were willing to pay for in order to move forward. This is not even remotely an "Apple problem" and the UK blamers have no ground at all to stand on. 
  • Reply 30 of 42
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member

You know, the more I hear about Brexit, the more it seems like the UK government doesn't really know what they're doing...

Still, can't they divert some of the 350 Million Pounds per week from the NHS to employing staff to do the checks for the workers? Instead of expecting them to do it themselves?

argonaut
  • Reply 31 of 42
    I see all sorts on unintended consequences of enabling things like this, too many big brother empowerment possibilities.
  • Reply 32 of 42
    sans said:
    The issues have led to immigration minister Carloine Nokes expressing frustration at the matter on Tuesday to the Home Affairs Committee. Minsters were advised by Nokes the Home Office could not be blamed for the issue, as Apple "won't release the upgrade we need in order for it to function."
    So let me get this right: They designed an app, knowing that when they designed it, it would not work on Apple devices. However, the Home Office isn't to Blame because they couldn't force Apple to do what they wanted? Do I have this right?
    Yes, you got it exactly right. It is commonly referred to a 'bungling incompetence'.
    argonaut
  • Reply 33 of 42
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    payeco said:
    mr lizard said:
    Predictable response from a UK government department; blame others for their own failure to design correct something within a stated framework. Much like how this government insists that it’s the EU’s job to flex their position to accommodate something the UK voted for.

Looking forward to the day Scotland frees itself from this ageing, dysfunctional, backward looking kingdom. 
    Don’t the Brits own a large chunk of land in Scotland and just let them sit there and rot?
    I saw a show years ago in PBS that showed a lot of places that were unkept and the local residents said that Brits owned them and don’t bother to even visit. 
    Wait, what?

Scotland is part of the United Kingdom. Citizens of the United Kingdom are called British. What you just said was the equivalent of saying ‘don’t the Americans own a large chunk of land in Nevada?’
    Scotland is also a country and people who live there are Scots. It’s not the same analogy as Nevada. 
    williamlondonargonaut
  • Reply 34 of 42
    Minsters were advised by Nokes the Home Office could not be blamed for the issue, as Apple "won't release the upgrade we need in order for it to function."

...that is hilariously absurd. 
    williamlondonargonaut
  • Reply 35 of 42
    payecopayeco Posts: 581member
    payeco said:
    mr lizard said:
    Predictable response from a UK government department; blame others for their own failure to design correct something within a stated framework. Much like how this government insists that it’s the EU’s job to flex their position to accommodate something the UK voted for.

Looking forward to the day Scotland frees itself from this ageing, dysfunctional, backward looking kingdom. 
    Don’t the Brits own a large chunk of land in Scotland and just let them sit there and rot?
    I saw a show years ago in PBS that showed a lot of places that were unkept and the local residents said that Brits owned them and don’t bother to even visit. 
    Wait, what?

Scotland is part of the United Kingdom. Citizens of the United Kingdom are called British. What you just said was the equivalent of saying ‘don’t the Americans own a large chunk of land in Nevada?’
    Scotland is also a country and people who live there are Scots. It’s not the same analogy as Nevada. 
    Nevada is also a state and people who live there are Nevadans. Scotland is a country in name only for for the most part, basically on par with states of the United States. Besides some international sporting events and leagues where the constituent countries of the UK are represented separately, on the international level, there is one country and it’s called the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

In any case, that wasn’t my main point anyway. People from Scotland are British.
    MacProwilliamlondon
  • Reply 36 of 42
    payeco said:
    payeco said:
    mr lizard said:

Wait, what?

Nevada is also a state and people who live there are Nevadans. Scotland is a country in name only for for the most part, basically on par with states of the United States. Besides some international sporting events and leagues where the constituent countries of the UK are represented separately, on the international level, there is one country and it’s called the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

In any case, that wasn’t my main point anyway. People from Scotland are British.
    Yet it is a country, with its own cultural identity. Being a country and the culture that goes along with it is not on the same level as being one of fifty US states. People the world over can identity and describe Scots in a split second. The same cannot be said of Nevadans. Scotland is currently ruled by Britain, but certainly has not always been ruled by Britain. 
    edited November 2018 argonaut
  • Reply 37 of 42
    So it's Apple's fault you came up with a "solution" that doesn't take into account the limitations of the devices on which you wanted to run it?

Amazing.
  • Reply 38 of 42
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    payeco said:
    payeco said:
    mr lizard said:

Wait, what?

Yet it is a country, with its own cultural identity. Being a country and the culture that goes along with it is not on the same level as being one of fifty US states. People the world over can identity and describe Scots in a split second. The same cannot be said of Nevadans. Scotland is currently ruled by Britain, but certainly has not always been ruled by Britain. 
    Scotland is not ruled by Britain, it is part of Britain.  This has always been the case, even before the Acts of Union.  Britain is the island (Great Britain to be specific, but no one talks about Little Britain, aka Ireland, or Lesser Britain, aka Brittany any more)

Scotland is a constituent country of the United Kingdom. 

Saying parts of Scotland are owned by Brits is a very strange thing to say.
    edited November 2018 williamlondon
  • Reply 39 of 42
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    crowley said:
    payeco said:
    payeco said:
    mr lizard said:

Wait, what?

Scotland is not ruled by Britain, it is part of Britain.  This has always been the case, even before the Acts of Union.  Britain is the island (Great Britain to be specific, but no one talks about Little Britain, aka Ireland, or Lesser Britain, aka Brittany any more)

Scotland is a constituent country of the United Kingdom. 

Saying parts of Scotland are owned by Brits is a very strange thing to say.
    I'm tempted to say Culloden but I won't ;)  Ooops...
    edited November 2018 williamlondon
  • Reply 40 of 42
    thewbthewb Posts: 79member
    Since they already have people using the phone's camera to take a selfie, why not take a picture of the passport's first page as well and use some of that machine learning we keep hearing so much about to perform OCR and validate it?

Besides, what are you supposed to do if you've already smashed the passport's chip to prevent it from being scanned by anyone with an Android phone nearby?
    mattinoz