Apple will no longer report iPhone, Mac and iPad unit sales

Comments

• Reply 21 of 117
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    The fun is only going to begin. 

You think its bad with analysis making up numbers for the market which Apple being the only one listing their numbers and analysis can not even agree on apple publish numbers, it is going to get far worse with made up numbers. 
  • Reply 22 of 117
    NY1822NY1822 Posts: 621member
    first the headphone jack, now this...
    Extremely happy for both
    edited November 2018 andrewj5790berndogradarthekat
  • Reply 23 of 117
    Doesn't bother me. Unit sales is just another number those fucking useless analysts use to try and manipulate Apple stock.
    You hit it right on the noggin!

Prime example is the stock being tanked after-hours... They made more money than anyone else, WITHIN their target guidance from last quarter, but because it didn't meat the asinine "predictions" of Wall Scum, they are punishing Apple. Take this out of the equation and just give the financials, maybe this will improve things for the better!
    ericthehalfbee
  • Reply 24 of 117
    NY1822NY1822 Posts: 621member
    Maestri says it's smartphone, laptop, and tablet competitors do not offer unit sales figure in their earnings report either.

they still are reporting revenue in the categories, more data than other companies do
    edited November 2018
  • Reply 25 of 117
    Good. It's just a number to get hung up on. All that matters is revenue growth and profit. 
    magman1979
  • Reply 26 of 117
    Is there a possibility that Apple is just jacking up the price of everything? An iPhone “Plus” size phone is now $1320-$2000 Canadian. I understand they try to push the XS and XS Max as a “new category” and the XR as the direct successor of the 8/8 Plus, but really, $1300 is a LOT of money. $2000 is unprecedented; I get it, the $1550 one is the one they expect me to buy. That would be double anything I’ve paid for a previous iPhone. 

Volumes drop, but profits remain because the ASP has gone higher. That’s how I’m seeing it - and I’m a big Apple fan. Bought the iPad Pro 2 12.9” on like opening day. The new stuff is great, thinner, more powerful, but man, so expensive. 

I know there are articles saying that with inflation it’s the same cost. I don’t buy that. I distinctly recall the year when the PowerBook G3 Wallstreet went from $5500 to a $3799 Bronze Keyboard the next summer. And that I think really helped Mac users everywhere. The only thing better was the FireWire version that shipped the following year, and apparently the Pismo was extremely popular. 

Isn’t tech supposed to come down in price? That’s how a US$100K 2 seater roadster becomes an $80K luxury sedan then a $35K model 3, and eventually a $20K model 4. 
    ascii
  • Reply 27 of 117

I also suspect it might be because they don't want to reveal that their higher price devices aren't selling as they are hoping they will.
    FTFA: “For the fourth quarter of 2018, iPhone ASP hit an all-time high of $793, up from $617.99 in 2017.”
    andrewj5790jony0
  • Reply 28 of 117
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Less is better as this reduce fake rumors. At the end of the day, it is all about growing top and bottom line
    jony0radarthekat
  • Reply 29 of 117
    As Apple broadens its product line, more and more products were being included in each general category. Therefore, the category numbers have been growing less meaningful to analysts than they were in the past. Nevertheless, I always liked to read them. If Apple is no longer reporting units, how will Samsung know what figure to fabricate?
    andrewj5790
  • Reply 30 of 117
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,163member
    Reducing transparency means it is easier to hide what they are doing. Next step hiding ASP.

How dare you little people question your corporate establishment masters! 

edited November 2018 Carnage
  • Reply 31 of 117
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Good. It's just a number to get hung up on. All that matters is revenue growth and profit. 
    Not really. That kind of thinking harmed Apple in the past. Profits were high in the early 90s but the platform for the Mac was stagnating. Then, disaster. 

Cook seems to have abandoned market share or unit growth for profit, since I don’t own shares anymore I don’t care about the latter. 

MplsPdesignr
  • Reply 32 of 117

I also suspect it might be because they don't want to reveal that their higher price devices aren't selling as they are hoping they will.
    FTFA: “For the fourth quarter of 2018, iPhone ASP hit an all-time high of $793, up from $617.99 in 2017.”
    Yes but sales stagnated or fell. Below expectations anyway. 
  • Reply 33 of 117
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    kevin kee said:
    What's the real reason for not giving us this information?
    The "real" reason is, as Maestri succinctly said, "A unit of sale is less relevant today than it was in our past,"
    That's not a reason at all. I.e., how is it less relevant? If it's not a legal requirement to release that information, why have they been doing it until now?
    Apple is getting too big. The current Apple is no longer the same as 5 years ago Apple - which is why multiple unit sales of iPhone/iPad/Mac is no longer a relevant metric to gauge their profit. In the same time their service keeps getting bigger year after year. Releasing this information is not just irrelevant but will only create confusion because they no longer tell the whole story or in other words: they no longer reflecting the real state of their business. Simple is the best: overall total revenue and cost of sales. It’s worth pointing out that Apple’s biggest competitors in the smartphone space, like Samsung, do not share exact unit numbers either.
    radarthekat
  • Reply 34 of 117
    Doesn't bother me. Unit sales is just another number those fucking useless analysts use to try and manipulate Apple stock.

Prime example is the stock being tanked after-hours... They made more money than anyone else, WITHIN their target guidance from last quarter, but because it didn't meat the asinine "predictions" of Wall Scum, they are punishing Apple. Take this out of the equation and just give the financials, maybe this will improve things for the better!
    The tanking is related to guidance. 
  • Reply 35 of 117
    asdasd said:

Whose expectations? Fabricated numbers by analysts?
  • Reply 36 of 117
    asdasd said:

The tanking is related to guidance. 
    It dropped an additional 1-2% after Luca announced no more unit sales data.
    asdasd
  • Reply 37 of 117
    cpsro said:
    Unit sales figures may not matter to Apple, but it matters to third parties whose livelihood depends on Apple unit sales... and that should matter to Apple.
    (For my business, maybe I just focus on Linux going forward.)

The iPhone has a huge installed base. Do you expect that to suddenly change because Apple stops reporting?
  • Reply 38 of 117
    So that’s why aapl is being spanked. The iPhone sales didn’t make what analysts wanted but iPhone sales were way up. Plus, this was 4Q results, the end of the 2018 new model Apple gear. 
  • Reply 39 of 117
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,031member
    The misuse of unit sales by analysts (nothing new here) is useful for judging how the company is operating.

On the positive side, analysts will not be able to manipulate AAPL by speculating on the distribution of unit sales. 
  • Reply 40 of 117
    asdasd said:

Whose expectations? Fabricated numbers by analysts?
    Best guesses based on guidance. You realise that all companies get this - there’s no giant conspiracy against Apple. 

By not giving units Apple is in fact leaving the floor to analysts and market advisors like IDC (who always low ball Mac sales) to manipulate unit sales, which they are going to guess anyway. 
    muthuk_vanalingam