First wave of 2018 iPad Pro reviews praise new features, but warn on price & OS limitation...

Comments

• Reply 21 of 63
    chay85chay85 Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    I think most of you guys who don't agree with Nilay miss the point that this is intended to be a "Pro" device. i.e., professionals are targeted user's, think about creative pro's but not limited to (DJ's, photographers, musicians etc).

-DJ's will think about the missing headphone jack, and also the inability to hold a music library in a external storage device.
    -Photographers will miss the ability of editing their pictures on an external storage device, some TIFF files could be larger than the internal memory of the iPad Pro.
    -Musicians would also appreciate a headphone jack, a dongle might work but if you forget it on a gig than it could be a disaster. Air Pods and Bose QC 35 are great for everyone else but not this class of Pro users. 

Some of the limitations might be resolved by app updates, but only time will tell if app developers can and will work around them. I was really excited by USB-C, but the lack of external storage support while working with Lightroom CC kills it for me, may be a future software update might solve that but until then, i will be happy to use my 2014 iMac for editing pictures and my iPad Air 2 for watching Netflix.
    elijahg
  • Reply 22 of 63
    chay85 said:
    I think most of you guys who don't agree with Nilay miss the point that this is intended to be a "Pro" device. i.e., professionals are targeted user's, think about creative pro's but not limited to (DJ's, photographers, musicians etc).

-DJ's will think about the missing headphone jack, and also the inability to hold a music library in a external storage device.
    -Photographers will miss the ability of editing their pictures on an external storage device, some TIFF files could be larger than the internal memory of the iPad Pro.
    -Musicians would also appreciate a headphone jack, a dongle might work but if you forget it on a gig than it could be a disaster. Air Pods and Bose QC 35 are great for everyone else but not this class of Pro users. 

Some of the limitations might be resolved by app updates, but only time will tell if app developers can and will work around them. I was really excited by USB-C, but the lack of external storage support while working with Lightroom CC kills it for me, may be a future software update might solve that but until then, i will be happy to use my 2014 iMac for editing pictures and my iPad Air 2 for watching Netflix.
    IMO, the most important thing missing in these new iPads is the lack of a 1/8” jack.
  • Reply 23 of 63
    chay85chay85 Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    chay85 said:

IMO, the most important thing missing in these new iPads is the lack of a 1/8” jack.
    I am not sure if you are being sarcastic or serious :smile: 

• Reply 24 of 63
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    Dead_Pool said:
    Jobs clearly saw the iPad as the future of computing. It was the product he had spent his entire career working toward. His generation had dreamed of something like it for nearly 30 years. He would have been far more aggressive than post-Steve Apple has been in addressing the factors that are holding it back, such as an awkward file system and lack of a pointing device.
    The same Jobs that mercilessly mocked the stylus?

“Who wants a stylus? "You have to get 'em, put 'em away, you lose 'em. Yuck! Nobody wants a stylus. So let's not use a stylus."

Or was he waiting for the world to invent magnets?
  • Reply 25 of 63
    hentaiboy said:
    Dead_Pool said:
    Jobs clearly saw the iPad as the future of computing. It was the product he had spent his entire career working toward. His generation had dreamed of something like it for nearly 30 years. He would have been far more aggressive than post-Steve Apple has been in addressing the factors that are holding it back, such as an awkward file system and lack of a pointing device.

“Who wants a stylus? "You have to get 'em, put 'em away, you lose 'em. Yuck! Nobody wants a stylus. So let's not use a stylus."

Pencil is not stylus.
    elijahg
  • Reply 26 of 63
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    cpsro said:
    Who uses a mouse anymore? Yech!
    Me!   And hundreds of millions of others throughout the world -- including every Mac user.
    edited November 2018 elijahg
  • Reply 27 of 63
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,341member
    Dead_Pool said:
    Jobs clearly saw the iPad as the future of computing. It was the product he had spent his entire career working toward. His generation had dreamed of something like it for nearly 30 years. He would have been far more aggressive than post-Steve Apple has been in addressing the factors that are holding it back, such as an awkward file system and lack of a pointing device. These limitations are compounded now by higher prices. Jobs would have done whatever was necessary to have the iPad become the computing device of choice by now—both for consumption and for productivity. As it is, it is now mostly relegated to a pricey consumption device.
    Wut? Most of the things holding iPad back came from Jobs. He specifically placed the iPad as an in between device. What happened though is the larger smartphone came along. But if you go back and watch his presentation what was magical about iPad was it was just this piece of glass that you manipulated with your fingers. The future of computing isn’t turning iPad into a laptop. 
    I want the iPad to be a primary computing device at times, and to be a connected accessory for the Mac, iPhone, Watch, and Apple TV, at other times.

The file system issue will be resolved over time, hopefully not too much time though. I saw on 9 to 5 Mac the first USB Type C multifunction "dock" for the iPad Pro, and Gruber notes that Apple should show files in attached USB Drives, not just in Files, an obvious update for the future, or you would think anyway.

I'm holding off for another year anyway, so that I can access how iOS apps run on Mac OS, and how far developers get delivering new "pro" apps for the iPad Pro. 

Mostly, I'm waiting for a trackpad on the accessory keyboard.

I'm much more optimistic about the iPad Pro's future than I was a few weeks ago.

edited November 2018
  • Reply 28 of 63
    Dead_Pool said:
    Jobs clearly saw the iPad as the future of computing. It was the product he had spent his entire career working toward. His generation had dreamed of something like it for nearly 30 years. He would have been far more aggressive than post-Steve Apple has been in addressing the factors that are holding it back, such as an awkward file system and lack of a pointing device. These limitations are compounded now by higher prices. Jobs would have done whatever was necessary to have the iPad become the computing device of choice by now—both for consumption and for productivity. As it is, it is now mostly relegated to a pricey consumption device.
    Wut? Most of the things holding iPad back came from Jobs. He specifically placed the iPad as an in between device. What happened though is the larger smartphone came along. But if you go back and watch his presentation what was magical about iPad was it was just this piece of glass that you manipulated with your fingers. The future of computing isn’t turning iPad into a laptop. 
    That's true.   It won't turn into a laptop.   That would be silly.
    But, for it to fulfill its potential and Apple's promise for it to become a laptop killer, they need to add and enhance its features and functions -- starting with a touchpad on it external keyboard.

The future of the iPad is not to become a laptop -- but to kill the laptop.  So far though, it's hobbled by its OS restrictions.
    entropyselijahg
  • Reply 29 of 63
    chay85 said:

What about other pros?    Doctors, Accountants, Engineers, etc...   How well does iPad meet THEIR needs?   It seems iOS is still primarily geared towards output & touch based functions only.
  • Reply 30 of 63
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,728member
    chay85 said:

Professional DJs need 2 separate audio outputs: one for pre-cueing (headphones) and one for output to the main sound system.  Sure you could split the headphone output into 2 mono channels, but I prefer something like this:

As for lack of external storage, iCloud Music Library works perfectly fine unless you really need to have your audio in a lossless format like FLAC/ALAC.  I myself can't hear the difference between the 256kbps MP3 format used for iCloud Music Library and lossless, but I know people who can (though they also tend to have very high end audio systems).  But if you're splitting your audio output into 2 mono channels, then you already don't care about audio quality.
    ericthehalfbee
  • Reply 31 of 63
    Dead_Pool said:
    But, for it to fulfill its potential and Apple's promise for it to become a laptop killer, they need to add and enhance its features and functions -- starting with a touchpad on it external keyboard.

The future of the iPad is not to become a laptop -- but to kill the laptop.  So far though, it's hobbled by its OS restrictions.
    Touchpad on external keyboard? How do you think to power that?

Many "pro" users hate the trackpad. You must also consider a USB port on that keyboard to attach a mouse. To power both the trackpad and the mouse your keyboard would do best with rechargeable Li-ion batteries inside, wouldn't it?

Kill the laptop? How? Hello... ?
    edited November 2018
  • Reply 32 of 63
    tmay said:
    Dead_Pool said:
    I want the iPad to be a primary computing device at times, and to be a connected accessory for the Mac, iPhone, Watch, and Apple TV, at other times.

The file system issue will be resolved over time, hopefully not too much time though. I saw on 9 to 5 Mac the first USB Type C multifunction "dock" for the iPad Pro, and Gruber notes that Apple should show files in attached USB Drives, not just in Files, an obvious update for the future, or you would think anyway.

I'm holding off for another year anyway, so that I can access how iOS apps run on Mac OS, and how far developers get delivering new "pro" apps for the iPad Pro. 

Mostly, I'm waiting for a trackpad on the accessory keyboard.

I'm much more optimistic about the iPad Pro's future than I was a few weeks ago.

I think a perfect compromise could be to have a pointer appear when a physical keyboard is connected. And every physical keyboard should have a trackpad. The software keyboard can function like a trackpad so why physical keyboards can’t offer that functionality is beyond me. If the Pros got that plus the ability to read external drives and have them show up in the files app I think a lot of complaints would go away.
    elijahg
  • Reply 33 of 63
    Dead_Pool said:

While I agree with you about the trackpad on an external keyboard when people say they want the iPad to kill the laptop most of the things they list would be killing the laptop by turning iPad into one. Mouse support and a full file system is basically a laptop.
  • Reply 34 of 63
    chay85 said:

Rubbish. People who have never DJ’d or used an iOS device for music have no business commenting on the lack of a headphone jack.

One was addressed above regarding DJs needing two separate outputs.

As for musicians, are you aware that 1/4” and XLR are the only “professional” connectors used for analog audio? Nobody, and I mean NOBODY uses a piddly and fragile 1/8” connector. And since musicians typically use external I/O interfaces (how else are you going to get multiple channels of audio into and out of your iPad), the lack of a 1/8” headphone jack is moot since these interfaces usually come with their own headphone jack.

elijahg
  • Reply 35 of 63
    To me all these reviews are basically truck owners reviewing a car complaining the car can’t do everything their truck can. Does Nilay Patel actually want to replace his laptop with an iPad Pro? Just because iPad Pro doesn’t meet everyone’s workflow doesn’t mean it can’t meet some people’s workflow. I get some of the frustration from people who want iPad to be their only computer (excluding their phone/smartwatch) but it seems a lot of reviewers have no interest/intention of iPad being their only computer. I’d like to see more reviews either from people who use iPad as their primary device or people reviewing it for what it is, not something else.
    canukstormMagentaPaladinGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 36 of 63
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    To me all these reviews are basically truck owners reviewing a car complaining the car can’t do everything their truck can. Does Nilay Patel actually want to replace his laptop with an iPad Pro? Just because iPad Pro doesn’t meet everyone’s workflow doesn’t mean it can’t meet some people’s workflow. I get some of the frustration from people who want iPad to be their only computer (excluding their phone/smartwatch) but it seems a lot of reviewers have no interest/intention of iPad being their only computer. I’d like to see more reviews either from people who use iPad as their primary device or people reviewing it for what it is, not something else.
    That's why you read MULTIPLE reviews to get a broad overview of the capabilities/pluses/minuses of a product. I don't know why you guys get all pissed off when one particular reviewer doesn't see things YOUR way. When I'm going to go out and buy a car, I don't read one review and call it a day; I read multiple reviews from a number of credible sources. I go to the forums dedicated to the car to see what problems I'm "likely" going to run into with respect to ownership. Then I take a test drive, and make my decision.

Same goes when I'm gonna drop nearly a grand on a computing devices. I like to get my input from various sources, not just someone that is going to tell me what I want to hear. By having many different data points, you often come across stuff that you wouldn't otherwise have thought about before. But that's just make take. I don't get so personally invested in the personalities that are reviving products. I listen to their commentary, weigh it appropriately, and combine it with the thoughts of other reviewers (and the commentary from people here on even these forums) before making my final decision. Then I head to Best Buy, play around with said device for a bit to get a feel for it, then making my purchase (usually someplace else unless I have gift cards  :) ).
  • Reply 37 of 63
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    hentaiboy said:
    Dead_Pool said:

Apple pencil isn't a stylus..he ( Steve ) was talking in the context of a phone with a stylus,  and not an iPad or computer.
    stompyGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 38 of 63
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    mazda 3s said:
    The Verge complained: “iPad app ecosystem underdeveloped and feature-limited”.

Hilarious. Especially when he was given a pre-release version of Photoshop to try. I wonder, if iOS tablet Apps/ecosystem are “limited” then how would you describe Android, which is a complete joke? Or using a Surface in tablet mode without any optimized software? What is his point of reference to make this claim?
    Nilay Patel is a jackass.
    Because he doesn't agree with you?

I appreciated his review -- all of the reviews actually. I like looking at differing viewpoints, not just ones that align with my views. I'm actually trying to decide between replacing my Apple Watch Series 2 Stainless Steel with an Apple Watch Series 4 Stainless Steel or getting an 11-inch iPad Pro 64GB (I have $750 in Best Buy gift cards that I cashed in from my CC rewards). 

The Series 4 would be a big upgrade for me speed wise over my Series 2 and I love the display, but at the end of the day this would be a "want" versus a need. I still mainly just use my Apple Watch for notifications and not much else, so $700 is kind of silly when I can just potentially wait and get it secondhand. 

The iPad Pro, however, is starting to sound like a more promising purchase. I don't currently have a personal iPad (my kids share a 2018 9.7-inch iPad 32GB), and it could serve as a more portable alternative to my 15-inch MacBook Pro. So knowing the limitations and pluses and getting input from all sides is great to read.
    No, since his beyond ridiculous first apple watch review  I consider him a piece of crap that can't be taken seriously.
    His non sequitur reviews are also boilerplate except for going off tangent  into irrelevance half way in.
  • Reply 39 of 63
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    chay85 said:

I miss nothing. He has no point, as usual. He sounds like someone who knows nothing but talks a lot.

Real DJ's and not idiots at home thinking they are a DJ, usually use an audio interface. So, what's your point and again.

Patel is a very very bad "reviewer" and I think the Verge will fold within 3 years (or become like CNET, they're already 70% of the way there anyway).

• Reply 40 of 63
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,701member
    iOS needs to become a real operating system and let you run real apps. It needs a real file system as well. For pro users, including developers, it needs a pro mode that allows users to do whatever they want to like they can on a real laptop computer even if it means accepting some risk. iOS should be able to run Xcode. It has plenty of CPU power and RAM. The only reason it can't is a software limitation imposed by iOS. You should be able to have apps that can scan and connect to a WiFi router, be able to see real MAC addresses, fully access Bluetooth without restrictions, run in the background or with the screen locked even if that means they can drain the battery. Pro users should be able to side-load apps. By all means ask for permission and use entitlements but allow the iPad to finally become a real computer. Mr. Cook, tear down this walled garden!
    It does run real OS that lets your run real apps. I'm assuming what you really mean is it doesn't run macOS and Mac apps.