First wave of 2018 iPad Pro reviews praise new features, but warn on price & OS limitation...

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 63
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,753member
    iOS needs to become a real operating system and let you run real apps. It needs a real file system as well. For pro users, including developers, it needs a pro mode that allows users to do whatever they want to like they can on a real laptop computer even if it means accepting some risk. iOS should be able to run Xcode. It has plenty of CPU power and RAM. The only reason it can't is a software limitation imposed by iOS. You should be able to have apps that can scan and connect to a WiFi router, be able to see real MAC addresses, fully access Bluetooth without restrictions, run in the background or with the screen locked even if that means they can drain the battery. Pro users should be able to side-load apps. By all means ask for permission and use entitlements but allow the iPad to finally become a real computer. Mr. Cook, tear down this walled garden!
    I agree with your sentiment completely, if the iPad Pro allowed development and access to a CLI, I'd buy one in a heartbeat. But chances of Apple ever opening that up? Nil. A full blown OS would also help justify its cost, at the moment it still feels like a giant phone to me, and I think always will as long as it runs iOS.
    edited November 2018
  • Reply 62 of 63

iOS needs to become a real operating system and let you run real apps. It needs a real file system as well. For pro users, including developers, it needs a pro mode that allows users to do whatever they want to like they can on a real laptop computer even if it means accepting some risk. iOS should be able to run Xcode. It has plenty of CPU power and RAM. The only reason it can't is a software limitation imposed by iOS. You should be able to have apps that can scan and connect to a WiFi router, be able to see real MAC addresses, fully access Bluetooth without restrictions, run in the background or with the screen locked even if that means they can drain the battery. Pro users should be able to side-load apps. By all means ask for permission and use entitlements but allow the iPad to finally become a real computer. Mr. Cook, tear down this walled garden!
    Get a Macbook Air. You even get a Thunderbolt 3 and the T2 chip. Why can’t you tolerate the thought that a developer’s machine may be different of a non-developer person’s device? Besides, as a primarily learning device, the iPad provides an adequate amount of coding, as seen with Swift Playgrounds and Python tools... Oh no, now you will blame Apple for not putting C++ and Java in Playgrounds !!!...

You’re on the wrong line, dude, go to the correct one.
    This is supposed to be a "Pro" machine though. Surely a Pro machine should allow one to use pro software, such as the CLI and Xcode, and shouldn't require a walled garden? There are non-pro iPads for the non-developer or to use as a content consumption device. I doubt too many consumers would be forking out for the Pro with the alternative non-pro version a fair bit cheaper and able to do pretty much everything they'd need to do. The same reason there are pro Macs (sort of, looking at you Mac Pro) and consumer ones; consumers don't need PCIe slots, pros do.
  • Reply 63 of 63
    tmay said:
    Dead_Pool said:
    Jobs clearly saw the iPad as the future of computing. It was the product he had spent his entire career working toward. His generation had dreamed of something like it for nearly 30 years. He would have been far more aggressive than post-Steve Apple has been in addressing the factors that are holding it back, such as an awkward file system and lack of a pointing device. These limitations are compounded now by higher prices. Jobs would have done whatever was necessary to have the iPad become the computing device of choice by now—both for consumption and for productivity. As it is, it is now mostly relegated to a pricey consumption device.
    Wut? Most of the things holding iPad back came from Jobs. He specifically placed the iPad as an in between device. What happened though is the larger smartphone came along. But if you go back and watch his presentation what was magical about iPad was it was just this piece of glass that you manipulated with your fingers. The future of computing isn’t turning iPad into a laptop. 
    I want the iPad to be a primary computing device at times, and to be a connected accessory for the Mac, iPhone, Watch, and Apple TV, at other times.

The file system issue will be resolved over time, hopefully not too much time though. I saw on 9 to 5 Mac the first USB Type C multifunction "dock" for the iPad Pro, and Gruber notes that Apple should show files in attached USB Drives, not just in Files, an obvious update for the future, or you would think anyway.

I'm holding off for another year anyway, so that I can access how iOS apps run on Mac OS, and how far developers get delivering new "pro" apps for the iPad Pro. 

Mostly, I'm waiting for a trackpad on the accessory keyboard.

I'm much more optimistic about the iPad Pro's future than I was a few weeks ago.

People have been saying "The file system issue will be resolved over time" pretty much since the iPad came out and people were using Dropbox as a pseudo-filesystem. iCloud drive is great on the Mac, but still feels pretty clunky on iOS; it defaults to a big folder with all your Pages/Numbers/whatever documents in which is just ridiculous if you have more than a few tens of documents. Apple's had the opportunity to allow USB-connected drives since forever, it's UNIX underneath but Apple just refuses to expose the filesystem to the user for some asinine reason. It's another thing that really hobbles the iPad Pro for me. And yes, mouse control would be great. It's so much more precise.

GeorgeBMac said:
    Dead_Pool said:
    Jobs clearly saw the iPad as the future of computing. It was the product he had spent his entire career working toward. His generation had dreamed of something like it for nearly 30 years. He would have been far more aggressive than post-Steve Apple has been in addressing the factors that are holding it back, such as an awkward file system and lack of a pointing device. These limitations are compounded now by higher prices. Jobs would have done whatever was necessary to have the iPad become the computing device of choice by now—both for consumption and for productivity. As it is, it is now mostly relegated to a pricey consumption device.
    Wut? Most of the things holding iPad back came from Jobs. He specifically placed the iPad as an in between device. What happened though is the larger smartphone came along. But if you go back and watch his presentation what was magical about iPad was it was just this piece of glass that you manipulated with your fingers. The future of computing isn’t turning iPad into a laptop. 
    That's true.   It won't turn into a laptop.   That would be silly.
    But, for it to fulfill its potential and Apple's promise for it to become a laptop killer, they need to add and enhance its features and functions -- starting with a touchpad on it external keyboard.

The future of the iPad is not to become a laptop -- but to kill the laptop.  So far though, it's hobbled by its OS restrictions.
    Touchpad on external keyboard? How do you think to power that?

Many "pro" users hate the trackpad. You must also consider a USB port on that keyboard to attach a mouse. To power both the trackpad and the mouse your keyboard would do best with rechargeable Li-ion batteries inside, wouldn't it?

Kill the laptop? How? Hello... ?
    Uuh perhaps the same way the existing keyboard case is powered, via the smart connector? There are bluetooth mice, trackpads and keyboards too, Apple even sells their own! How do you think they're powered? Magic? 
    edited November 2018 GeorgeBMacmazda 3s