Here are some of the best cases for Apple's 2018 iPad Pro that you can buy now

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2020
It might be tempting to use a new iPad Pro naked, especially if you've paid for AppleCare+. The brute fact however is that iPads are fragile and expensive -- you should get a case as soon as possible if you want to be genuinely mobile. These are some of the better early options.

2018 iPad Pro cases

Apple

Apple Smart Keyboard Folio for 2018 iPad Pro

If you absolutely must have a case right away, the simplest bet is Apple. There are two options: the first is the Smart Keyboard Folio, which is sold in 11-inch ($179) and 12.9-inch ($199) versions. It's probably wiser to get a separate keyboard, especially given Apple's exorbitant prices, but of course the benefit is that you'll always have your keyboard with you, and you'll never have to charge or pair.

Apple Smart Folio

Apple is also selling keyboard-free Smart Folios, which cost $79 for 11-inch iPads and $99 for 12.9-inch models. We'd recommend against these unless you literally have no other choice, since you're paying a lot for relatively little protection.

Speck

Speck Presidio Pro Folio for Apple 11 inch iPad Pro 2018

One better folio option is Speck's Presidio Pro, which costs $59.95 for an 11-inch size and $89.95 for 12.9 inches. It's not only cheaper, but protects against drops up to 6 feet, and includes a cradle for the second-generation Apple Pencil.

Waterfield

Waterfield Tech Folio Plus for 2018 iPad Pro

While not strictly a case, Waterfield's 13-inch Tech Folio Plus ($149) should be able to hold your iPad and most (or all!) of its accessories. You can choose either ballistic nylon or waxed canvas, and if you want it to replace a backpack, you can spring extra for a strap. All versions have a carrying handle.

DODOcase

DODOcase Two Tone 2018 iPad Pro case

DODOcase was one of the first companies to make any kind of iPad case, and the first to specialize in a book-style folio design. This year, the best option from them is probably the Two-Tone, costing $64.95 in any size. It includes a loop for an Apple Pencil or other stylus, and comes in four color combinations: black/charcoal, dove gray/indigo, green/gunnysack, and granite/merlot.

Belkin

Belkin Air Protect for Apple iPad Pro

Even if it's not glamorous, Belkin's Air Protect Always-On Sleeve should fit an 11-inch iPad Pro and guard it against light bumps and scratches. The kicker is the price, since it costs $34.99 or less.

Budget brands -- ProCase, ESR & JETech

The ProCase Smart Case.
The ProCase Smart Case.

If your demands aren't stringent, some budget cases on Amazon will save you from burning a deeper hole in your wallet. ProCase, for example, has the $12.99 Smart Case, a thin folio with an Apple Pencil cradle, and the $10.99 Slim Case which is effectively a shell with a foldable lid.

ESR Urban Premium Folio
ESR's Urban Premium Folio.

ESR's Urban Premium Folio Case ($18.99) has an Apple Pencil loop, and grooves for propping up an iPad for viewing. The faux leather Intelligent Premium Business Case ($20.99) adds features like a hand strap and a pocket for storing cards and papers.

JETech 2018 iPad Pro folio
JETech's barebones folio.

JETech even has a $9.99 basic folio if all you care about is blocking dust and scratches, and occasionally propping up your Pro.

Coming soon

Griffin Survivor Tactical

If you can afford to, we'd actually recommend waiting a few weeks. Some of the big names in accessories are working on updates -- Griffin, for example, is preparing three new rugged Survivor cases, and Otterbox is working on a refreshed Defender.

Logitech's previous iPad Pro keyboard cases have been some of the most popular, so we wouldn't be surprised to see new versions before the end of the year.

Pad & Quill, a high-end case maker, is preparing revisions of its luxury Contega Thin and Oxford Leather cases for delivery in early December. In addition to saving $10 when you reserve your spot in line, every Pad & Quill case is currently an additional 10% off with the exclusive coupon code insider.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Eh, none of those are what I want. Some aren’t even cases, they’re carry bags. Most people I know use cases that the iPad pops into that cover the back and sides. Some have an opening on the side for a magnetic cover, and some don’t. Now they’ll have to accommodate the new Pencil s well. Most cost a very modest $19.95 on Amazon.

this is the first year I haven’t seen a number of them on Amazon before the new iPad came out. Our iPads are coming tomorrow, And we feel uncomfortable without one.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    My iPad Pro 12.9 256 is coming this morning. So excited! I bought Apple folio, which I think is the best for protecting both front and back and stay slim.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    Thanks for info above. But the most important question for those who will be using the Apple Pencil 2 is: does the case allow for wireless pairing and charging. So far I have only seen first party cases and one from Moko and one from ztotop that allow the iPad to have exposed sides. If anyone has more information please do share. I would appreciate it. 
    Note: I got the Moko but it won't come until next Friday 19 Nov. The ztotop is available now. The Moko looks better to me.  
  • Reply 4 of 13
    thttht Posts: 5,394member
    Can the 2018 iPad Pros be charged through their Smart Connectors?

I’m really resisting the urge to trade in my 10.5 for a 2018 12.9, but if I was looking for case, I would be looking for a magnetically attached back cover only. Something just a little thicker than the camera bump. So a waiting game, and something like this won’t come out for a long while. 
  • Reply 5 of 13
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,301member
    Buy a cheapo case NOW, until you find a case you really want later. Go look on Amazon,... There's a ton of cheap cases, under $20 for a 2018 12.9" iPad Pro. You can get one of those quickly, use it until the case you want comes out later. I have a great case on my 2017 iPad Pro I got from Amazon I really like. It's a bulky 2 part case with a built in screen protector and a pop out stand that allows it to stand up both Horizontally or Vertically. Paid under $30 for it and it's been a great case.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0744J2CLL

I see they have a version coming out next month for the new 11" iPad Pro. Under $25.

https://www.amazon.com/SUPCASE-Protector-Kickstand-Full-Body-Protective/dp/B07K1RBSWP

I don't see a updated one for the 2018 12.9" iPad Pro. Strange! The only problem is it's NOT compatible with the new Apple Pencil. It won't stick and it won't charge if you are using this case. That kind of sucks for those that want to use one.

I find it silly in general to spend $80-$100+ on a case!!! It's mostly all profit.

edited November 2018
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Yeah great. Anyway moving on to next time and maybe the same iPhone 5esque chassis with 5inch angled cutouts down each side to help pick up the completely flat camera bump free rear surface from the table. Take a hint from the latest DJ controllers. Everybody wants that flat back really.
    edited November 2018
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Mine arrived an hour ago. All setup now. The Apple folio is so thin and snap nicely. I think it is the best one for protecting both front and back with no extra bulking. No need to fit in into a sleeve. The folio is magnetic. Really amazes with the design. The pencil just snap on the long edge and that’s it, stored and charged. You can charge the iPad because the folio does not cover all three edges.
    Answers
  • Reply 8 of 13
    kevin kee said:
    Mine arrived an hour ago. All setup now. The Apple folio is so thin and snap nicely. I think it is the best one for protecting both front and back with no extra bulking. No need to fit in into a sleeve. The folio is magnetic. Really amazes with the design. The pencil just snap on the long edge and that’s it, stored and charged. You can charge the iPad because the folio does not cover all three edges.
    Kevin thanks for that note. Am strongly considering Apple folio for my 12.9 Pro. But could you say how protective you think it is?
  • Reply 9 of 13
    I would say it will protect very well from water, scratch, fall, bump, etc if happened on either front or back BUT if it happened on the edge, which is unlikely, then I am not sure. The case is designed a little bit (by half mm) longer from the edge, so that might help in case of short drop. 
  • Reply 10 of 13
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,945member
    Naked 4 life. iPad & iPhone. 

Just drop it into my leather sleeve with the Pencil & off I go. I do use a screen protector though. Provides a bit more bite for sketching.
    edited November 2018
  • Reply 11 of 13
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    kevin kee said:
    How well does it protect the pencil, if at all?
  • Reply 12 of 13
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    I’m beginning to understand why there were no cases for the new iPad before they came out, as there usually are. It’s the Pencil. I see some guys here are having problems with that.

spigen, a major case maker has said that their current 2018 iPad Pro cases will not allow charging the Pencil, and that they are redesigning the cases to do that, and that they will be available by the end of the year.

i believe that while case makers got the usual sizes before release, as they usually do, through back channels, that is, not from Apple, they were caught by the new Pencil, which apparently, none of these unofficial sources knew anything about. That screwed them up. So they either had to drop the cases before release, or release ones that don’t allow charging the pencil

it may be possible, if these cases are plastic, to cut out an area to allow the Pencil to sit on the edge. I’m going to look, again, and see what’s now out there. Yesterday, some cases began to show. If I find something that looks as though I can operate on it, I’ll buy it. No way I’m going to wait weeks, or a couple of months for this. I really doN’t like the Folio style wraparound cases with the cover.
    edited November 2018