Comparing the new 2018 12.9-inch iPad Pro versus the older model

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 24
    rkorko Posts: 12member
    wondering about how the pencil charges, are you holding an electromagnetic field all the time you use the ipad?  also how can you charge the new pencil if you use an ergo grip?  i bought the 9.7 pro last year with the thought of upgrading to the new 12.9 when it came out, provided the 9.7 proved useful.  lack of compatibility and electromagnetic casing, if thats what it is, is surprising.  i hope someone who used the older tablet with the pencil and an ergo grip comments on whether this new one is a step forward.  seems like the old tablet, with an ois camera is a better upgrade.
  • Reply 22 of 24
    cornchip said:
    "That is roughly a 25-percent single-core gain and almost 50-percent multi-core."

You guys are usually better at math. It's a more than 90% improvement on multi-core.

From a hardware standpoint, this is really impressive. It means that the performance scales basically *linearly* going from 2 to 4 cores. (Since there's 4 efficiency cores in both models, contributing approximately the same towards the results, scaling is better than the 90% figure!) This is a pretty big deal as it means that Apple's capable of building an interconnect that not only scales to at least 8 cores, but that power use for the interconnect is scaling well too.

Until recently I was not convinced that putting an Ax chip in a MacBook was viable, but last year's A11 changed my mind. This puts the nail in the coffin of the idea that Apple can't scale their processors up to compete with the best 4-8 core processors Intel can build. Just using the tech on display in the A12x, replacing efficiency cores with performance cores, they could probably beat intel's best chips now. (There's some question as to how far they can push clocks on the current design without hitting a wall due to pipeline length, but in any case they're certainly close... and they haven't even tried to optimize for a laptop power envelope yet.)
    Thanks for your perspective. I'm not a techie, per se, but to me the fact that the new macbook air is so feature packed and impressive almost guarantees we'll be seeing a new MacBook with an A series chip in 2019.
    Yeah, me either, but I’m of the opinion - as I think most of us are at this point - that Apple will inevitably begin building Macs with their own chips. I have the feeling that they won’t exactly be “A” series chips though. Like the watch, I have to imagine Apple will develop a new sibling for the Mac line - let’s call them “M” series chips -  that will be specially engineered for MacOS. So while it will obviously be ARM based and developed in house by Apple, I’m guessing it will be a somewhat juiced up version of the “A” series chips designed specifically for the laptop & desktop products. Just my take.
    Agreed.
  • Reply 23 of 24
    Three things not mentioned that should have been...... One, the new ipad pro does not have a headphone jack, (which is a nuisance..), and Two, it uses a USB connector instead of the older apple lightning connector, (which is a pain if you have older dongles or peripherals that do utilise the lighning connector). Lastly, the old Ipencil will not work with the new model. You`ll need to fork out another $120 for the new Ipencil.
  • Reply 24 of 24
    Three things not mentioned that should have been...... One, the new ipad pro does not have a headphone jack, (which is a nuisance..), and Two, it uses a USB connector instead of the older apple lightning connector, (which is a pain if you have older dongles or peripherals that do utilise the lighning connector). Lastly, the old Ipencil will not work with the new model. You`ll need to fork out another $120 for the new Ipencil.
    You're over a year late on this one.