How to use an iPad or iPad Pro as a monitor for your Mac

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

I’m not sure why anyone would want to do this...

An iPad makes for an expensive but tiny screen.  You can get a high quality 34” for $500-$700...
    iPad’s Retina display. A 34” monitor at 1080p is of no use to anyone.
    You get 4K for that price range.
  • Reply 22 of 31
    I still have https://avatron.com/applications/air-display/         Air Display since it's first version on the first iPad, years ago. I did not have laptop for long time so when I travelled I took Mac Mini and used iPad as a screen. Worked fine, for $10 that app costs, I don't use it now but I may use it as a 2nd display if needed on the laptop.

Edit:
    I just booted up my old 1st generation iPad and the app still works with Mac Mini, same as when I used it 7 years ago. :D

edited November 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 31
    nht said:

An iPad makes for an expensive but tiny screen.  You can get a high quality 34” for $500-$700...
    iPad’s Retina display. A 34” monitor at 1080p is of no use to anyone.
    You get 4K for that price range.
    And 9.7" iPad for less.

Besides, people are cheated with 2560 x 1440 monitors as "4K", as seen above...
  • Reply 24 of 31
    Mike Wuerthele said:
    Subrandom said:
    FWIW, Duet is working perfectly for me on a 2018 MBP with both an iPad 12.9" 2nd Gen and the just released 3rd Gen. Now, I use it only as a second display, and I don't tap on the iPad to send commands to the MBP, but in that capacity at least, there are issues with lag or screen dragging as suggested, even across an entire workday of use.
    In our conversations with the developer, the problems seem to be hit-or-miss. However, given that it is not a universal solution, we can't recommend it right now. We'll revisit after we see any updates.
    Once the truat issue between the Mac and iPad connected on USB is resolved, Duet seems working. If trust is not established then the Mac may drop the USB connection intermittently or repeatedly. The cure is to reset Location & Privacy on iOS device, restart both ends and "Trust this computer" again (trying with a 3d party Lightning cable may help in some cases).
    Yep, we tried that. It isn't a universal fix, and doesn't stay fixed. We just can't recommend it right now. Maybe in a patch or two, but not today.
    I have one more question if you don't mind:

Did you attach the new iPad Pro to the new Mac Mini with a USB-C cable? If so:
    1) Trust issue? Is there any problem?
    2) iTunes: did the iPad appear in iTunes and sync, backup, file sharing, everything worked as usual?
    3) Quicktime Player: can QT Player accept the iPad Pro as both video and audio source? At what resolution does it record?
    4) Duet: did it appear in Displays menu and worked even with failures?
  • Reply 25 of 31
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    Subrandom said:
    FWIW, Duet is working perfectly for me on a 2018 MBP with both an iPad 12.9" 2nd Gen and the just released 3rd Gen. Now, I use it only as a second display, and I don't tap on the iPad to send commands to the MBP, but in that capacity at least, there are issues with lag or screen dragging as suggested, even across an entire workday of use.
    I'm using it in much the same way, with the same experience. I'm using a non-Pro iPad, though, and the display doesn't use all of the screen real estate available. Still, it's fine for running a second screen with a Linux VM shell on it, and it's saved me spending a further A$300 on a portable 15" LCD display. Presumably one of those that uses Display Port alternate mode would work with the Mac mini, too, for your initial setup, and then you can carry it around with your MBP for when you need a second screen.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 31
    I’m presently using Splashtop’s Xdisplay, sadly only wired at present, and not yet supporting Mojave (according to the developer) it seems, but works fine with my iPad mini 4 16 Gb, and my iPhone 7+, and it’s free. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 31
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,893administrator
    Mike Wuerthele said:
    Subrandom said:
    In our conversations with the developer, the problems seem to be hit-or-miss. However, given that it is not a universal solution, we can't recommend it right now. We'll revisit after we see any updates.
    Once the truat issue between the Mac and iPad connected on USB is resolved, Duet seems working. If trust is not established then the Mac may drop the USB connection intermittently or repeatedly. The cure is to reset Location & Privacy on iOS device, restart both ends and "Trust this computer" again (trying with a 3d party Lightning cable may help in some cases).
    Yep, we tried that. It isn't a universal fix, and doesn't stay fixed. We just can't recommend it right now. Maybe in a patch or two, but not today.
    I have one more question if you don't mind:

Did you attach the new iPad Pro to the new Mac Mini with a USB-C cable? If so:
    1) Trust issue? Is there any problem?
    2) iTunes: did the iPad appear in iTunes and sync, backup, file sharing, everything worked as usual?
    3) Quicktime Player: can QT Player accept the iPad Pro as both video and audio source? At what resolution does it record?
    4) Duet: did it appear in Displays menu and worked even with failures?
    1) No problem.
    2) Yes.
    3) Yes. No idea, didn't check.
    4) Yes.

To be clear, both William and I ran into similar problems. We're confident that the folks at Duet will figure something out for a universal fix, but that day is not today.
  • Reply 28 of 31
    This is what Duet's website says right now (I really wish companies were less afraid of losing business pre-purchase, and more worried about user-experience after purchase):
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 31
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,460member

Looks like you're not familiar with headless servers which I deal with a lot for work. And the article never claimed you can use iPad as a permament display.
    watto_cobrafastasleep
  • Reply 30 of 31

Headless server. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 31
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    There are other apps AI consistently avoids to mention, some predating duet display and not necessitating subscriptions.

AirDisplay, Yam Air, Yam Display, and if you don’t need pencil as pencil support, a slew of VNC based packages, Jump Desktop, etc.

There are a lot more choices, and about ZERO reasons to constantly try to convince users to get sucked into a subscription scheme, be that set app, or AppStore based.

One has to wonder about AI’s bias in these matters...