Apple assessed Apple TV 'dongle' to goose adoption of new streaming service, report says

Comments

• Reply 61 of 81
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    mac_128 said:
    Apple TV is a high end box [...] a cheap way into the Apple ecosystem to watch what Apple hopes will turn out to be must see TV.
    Cheap compared to what, though? Compared to a Mac, yes. Compared to a $50 Fire Stick, not so much.

I'm not saying that the Apple TV is overpriced or that a the Fire Stick is equivalent. I do think the average buyer will make that comparison though, and the price may be high enough to be a deterrent to easy adoption. Look at it like this:

- Amazon wants me to subscribe to its streaming service. I need a device to do that. The device is $50. That's low enough that I probably won't think too much about it.

- Now Apple wants me to subscribe to its streaming service. I need a device to do that. The device costs more than three times as much as nearest thing I can find to compare it to. It's a better device, but it's also much more expensive. I may balk at that.

You and I know it's not fair to compare an Apple TV to a Fire Stick, but I don't know if most people will make the distinction, or even care if shown the difference. The Apple TV may simply be more device than most people need or want, the same way a discrete 5.1 speaker system seems excessive to someone who is satisfied with a sound bar.

Of course, like you say, the unknown in the scenario you describe is the desirability of Apple's content. It may be so awesome that people will be enticed to buy a more expensive device to get access to it. If they're not, maybe a cheaper, simpler option -- like an Apple equivalent to the Fire Stick -- would be a good idea.
    I was addressing the rumor — a cheap ATV stick priced around $50 will compete win Amazon and Roku, and a one time fee to get free Apple programming. Remember the ATV 3 was priced at $69 when the ATV 4 was released. The iPod Shuffle was $49 when discontinued. That was previously the lowest bar of entry into the Apple ecosystem. A similarly priced ATV dongle to gain access to Apple’s free, or discounted content (assuming there’s anything there viewers must see) is a great way for Apple to draw in Android users, who probably don’t care which dongle they buy as long as it’s cheap.

I can see an ATV tier — $49 base stick/remote, $69 adds AirPlay (which Android users don’t need), $99 ATV 4, $129 ATV 4K, $149 ATV 5 and so on ...
    williamlondon
  • Reply 62 of 81
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    avon b7 said:
    lkrupp said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    avon b7 said:
    Apple TV was without a doubt the worst Apple product I ever bought. 

Odd that you don’t actually like Apple kit, but keep buying it. 🤔
    Avon b7’s charade was up a long time ago. We all know who and what it is, and it ain’t an Apple kit owner. 
    Mac II
    Performa 630
    G4 Sawtooth
    iMacs (21 and 27)
    eMac
    Different laptops (intel)
    MacBook Air
    Apple TV
    Different iPhones
    Time Capsule
    Dongles galore!
    AppleCare galore!
    iPads

That's off the top of my head.

Don't worry, I've invested enough in Apple to be able to form an opinion.
    But nobody believes you. Why is that?
    tmaywilliamlondon
  • Reply 63 of 81
    lkrupp said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    avon b7 said:

Odd that you don’t actually like Apple kit, but keep buying it. ߤ䦬t;/div>
    Avon b7’s charade was up a long time ago. We all know who and what it is, and it ain’t an Apple kit owner. 
    So avon b7 doesn't own a lot of Apple gear. So what?

Living almost entirely within Apple's ecosystem, I tend to lose touch with what other suppliers are doing. I actually quite enjoy reading the perspectives of people who are not necessarily Apple fans, because by virtue of being free from the pro-Apple bias that affects my decision making, they're able to be more objective when assessing alternatives.

So far that perspective hasn't led me out of the walled garden, but it has given me points of comparison for assessing whether my expectations of certain Apple products are realistic. I like that.
    edited November 2018 MplsPanantksundaramwilliamlondon
  • Reply 64 of 81
    mac_128 said:
    mac_128 said:
    Apple TV is a high end box [...] a cheap way into the Apple ecosystem to watch what Apple hopes will turn out to be must see TV.
    Cheap compared to what, though? Compared to a Mac, yes. Compared to a $50 Fire Stick, not so much.

I'm not saying that the Apple TV is overpriced or that a the Fire Stick is equivalent. I do think the average buyer will make that comparison though, and the price may be high enough to be a deterrent to easy adoption. Look at it like this:

- Amazon wants me to subscribe to its streaming service. I need a device to do that. The device is $50. That's low enough that I probably won't think too much about it.

- Now Apple wants me to subscribe to its streaming service. I need a device to do that. The device costs more than three times as much as nearest thing I can find to compare it to. It's a better device, but it's also much more expensive. I may balk at that.

You and I know it's not fair to compare an Apple TV to a Fire Stick, but I don't know if most people will make the distinction, or even care if shown the difference. The Apple TV may simply be more device than most people need or want, the same way a discrete 5.1 speaker system seems excessive to someone who is satisfied with a sound bar.

Of course, like you say, the unknown in the scenario you describe is the desirability of Apple's content. It may be so awesome that people will be enticed to buy a more expensive device to get access to it. If they're not, maybe a cheaper, simpler option -- like an Apple equivalent to the Fire Stick -- would be a good idea.
    I was addressing the rumor — a cheap ATV stick priced around $50 will compete win Amazon and Roku, and a one time fee to get free Apple programming. Remember the ATV 3 was priced at $69 when the ATV 4 was released. The iPod Shuffle was $49 when discontinued. That was previously the lowest bar of entry into the Apple ecosystem. A similarly priced ATV dongle to gain access to Apple’s free, or discounted content (assuming there’s anything there viewers must see) is a great way for Apple to draw in Android users, who probably don’t care which dongle they buy as long as it’s cheap.

I can see an ATV tier — $49 base stick/remote, $69 adds AirPlay (which Android users don’t need), $99 ATV 4, $129 ATV 4K, $149 ATV 5 and so on ...
    Oh, okay. I thought you were saying the existing Apple TV is inexpensive enough to attract new users to the streaming service. If I now understand you correctly, you're saying a cheap, basic "stick" might be a good idea?
    williamlondon
  • Reply 65 of 81
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,703member
    lkrupp said:
    avon b7 said:
    lkrupp said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    avon b7 said:

Odd that you don’t actually like Apple kit, but keep buying it. 🤔
    Mac II
    Performa 630
    G4 Sawtooth
    iMacs (21 and 27)
    eMac
    MacBook Air
    Apple TV
    Different iPhones
    Time Capsule
    Dongles galore!
    AppleCare galore!
    iPads

But nobody believes you. Why is that?
    But that isn't an issue, is it?

Believe what you want but what I stated is what there is. 
  • Reply 66 of 81
    To see what this post said before i changed my mind and deleted it, please consult your local psychic.

- This message brought to you by The North American Psychic Association -- We know what you're thinking!
    Aren’t you from the group that recently cancelled your annual fair due to unforeseen circumstances?
    lorin schultzGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 67 of 81
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member
    lkrupp said:
    avon b7 said:
    lkrupp said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    avon b7 said:

Mac II
    Performa 630
    G4 Sawtooth
    iMacs (21 and 27)
    eMac
    MacBook Air
    Apple TV
    Different iPhones
    Time Capsule
    Dongles galore!
    AppleCare galore!
    iPads

But nobody believes I don't believe you. Why is that?
    Probably because as soon as anyone has an opinion that isn't flattering of Apple, you jump all over them and label them as a troll. Believe it or not, it is possible to be a fan of Apple and it's products without worshiping every single one of them.
    edited November 2018 lorin schultzGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 68 of 81
    MplsP said:
    lkrupp said:
    avon b7 said:
    lkrupp said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    avon b7 said:

Mac II
    Performa 630
    G4 Sawtooth
    iMacs (21 and 27)
    eMac
    MacBook Air
    Apple TV
    Different iPhones
    Time Capsule
    Dongles galore!
    AppleCare galore!
    iPads

But nobody believes I don't believe you. Why is that?
    Probably because as soon as anyone has an opinion that isn't flattering of Apple, you jump all over them and label them as a troll. Believe it or not, it is possible to be a fan of Apple and it's products without worshiping every single one of them.
    (S)He's actually getting better (believe it or not). One of lkrupp's trademarks used to be jumping into a thread early to predict all the negative comments that (s)he was sure were going to pop up. (S)He'd defend Apple before anyone even wrote anything! I don't think (s)he's doing that anymore, at least not in the few select threads I've read.

Credit where due, and all that.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 69 of 81

To see what this post said before i changed my mind and deleted it, please consult your local psychic.

- This message brought to you by The North American Psychic Association -- We know what you're thinking!
    Aren’t you from the group that recently cancelled your annual fair due to unforeseen circumstances?
    Yeah, we kinda blew the mystique with that one. We have, however, absolutely NAILED sales of publications. When people complain that they didn't order something, we respond with "You were going to."
    alexonlineGeorgeBMacwilliamlondon
  • Reply 70 of 81
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    A 1-poster told a veteran.
    I don't understand what you mean. Told me what?

I've got no problem with being put in my place when appropriate, but I don't see how that applies in this case.

Some people believe everything is Apples fault.
    Uh, if not Apple, who *IS* responsible for the decisions about how tvOS works? One can argue that integration with the TV app is up to the service providers, but even that is subject to debate. Every single other point is 100% on Apple.
    Well I must apologize as you've made yourself more clear the 2nd time around. But still, your post came off as the typical Apple-must-save-the-world crap.

As far as who is responsible for adopting the TV app? Well, that would still be the app developers. Maybe Apple should require TV App integration soon like they did with 64-bit support.

Also Apple please remove movies you have to purchase from the TV App. It's confusing looking through your content and then have a cool movie pop up that sends you to iTunes. Really killed the experience for our family.
    No apology necessary, I just don't understand how you came to the conclusion you did. I listed examples of ways the Apple TV either fails to live up to the claims Apple itself made about what it's supposed to be, or outright malfunctions. What part of that warranted correction? Did I write something that's not true?
    Yes, for one blaming Apple for developer decisions was something that's not true as Apple never said they would enforce it day one without developer participation. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 71 of 81
    I have 2 ATV 4’s, 1 ATV 3, and a 2016 Roku Express. The ATV 4’s provide a much better experience. The apps are of higher quality, they are responsive, and never crash. The Roku Express isn’t horrible - it’s better than Android TV and Amazon Fire Stick, but it’s just not up to the same level, which is expected with the differences in cost. You get what you pay for.

tvOS does place local content on the back burner, but Apple has been phasing that out for a while now. The computers app is “old”, and in my opinion probably still has code in it from the Apple TV 1 and Front Row, which focuses on local content. If you have a lot of personally ripped media, your better off running Plex or Emby, it’s going to be a better experience.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 72 of 81
    I have 2 ATV 4’s, 1 ATV 3, and a 2016 Roku Express. The ATV 4’s provide a much better experience. The apps are of higher quality, they are responsive, and never crash. The Roku Express isn’t horrible - it’s better than Android TV and Amazon Fire Stick, but it’s just not up to the same level, which is expected with the differences in cost. You get what you pay for.

tvOS does place local content on the back burner, but Apple has been phasing that out for a while now. The computers app is “old”, and in my opinion probably still has code in it from the Apple TV 1 and Front Row, which focuses on local content. If you have a lot of personally ripped media, your better off running Plex or Emby, it’s going to be a better experience.
    If android and Fire Stick are worse than Roku, then I cannot imagine.

Roku was so bad I would dread the next video because it meant interacting with the thing.
    edited November 2018 williamlondon
  • Reply 73 of 81

I've got no problem with being put in my place when appropriate, but I don't see how that applies in this case.

Uh, if not Apple, who *IS* responsible for the decisions about how tvOS works? One can argue that integration with the TV app is up to the service providers, but even that is subject to debate. Every single other point is 100% on Apple.
    Well I must apologize as you've made yourself more clear the 2nd time around. But still, your post came off as the typical Apple-must-save-the-world crap.

As far as who is responsible for adopting the TV app? Well, that would still be the app developers. Maybe Apple should require TV App integration soon like they did with 64-bit support.

Also Apple please remove movies you have to purchase from the TV App. It's confusing looking through your content and then have a cool movie pop up that sends you to iTunes. Really killed the experience for our family.
    No apology necessary, I just don't understand how you came to the conclusion you did. I listed examples of ways the Apple TV either fails to live up to the claims Apple itself made about what it's supposed to be, or outright malfunctions. What part of that warranted correction? Did I write something that's not true?
    Yes, for one blaming Apple for developer decisions was something that's not true as Apple never said they would enforce it day one without developer participation. 
    No, I didn't. I described six ways the Apple TV experience is weird, of which one was:

"3. Some services appear in the TV app, others don't."

I didn't even ADDRESS the issue of who's "responsible" for that because I don't CARE who's at fault. As the end user, all that matters to me is how the product works. The way it is now, some of the features only work some of the time. The user experience *IS* inconsistent. That's all I said and it's true.

Besides, even if you feel that pointing out inconsistencies in software is unfair to Apple, it was only one issue out of six. Dismissing the entirety of the text over 1/6 of the premise obfuscates other legitimate concerns.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 74 of 81
    Two new anomalies to report:

For the last few weeks, accessing purchases in the cloud with the Apple TV has sometimes been really slow. The wheel spins for ten to thirty seconds before the show appears. Sometimes there's no delay, other times it's long. Sometimes it just hangs altogether and I have to go up a level and hit it again to get past the spinny thingy. The 3rd Gen unit upstairs is doing the same thing, which makes me think it's not the hardware but something at the service end. It didn't used to be like this and nothing in my setup or internet service has changed. It's been going on long enough that it doesn't seem like a temporary malfunction. Is anyone else experiencing this?

The other issue has come up just in the last couple days or so. The Netflix app is crashing. I'll be navigating my list and suddenly boom, I'm back at the main Apple TV menu. Not every time I use it, but maybe about a quarter of the time. Is it just me, or is anyone else having a similar experience?
    williamlondon
  • Reply 75 of 81

No, I didn't. I described six ways the Apple TV experience is weird, of which one was:

I didn't even ADDRESS the issue of who's "responsible" for that because I don't CARE who's at fault. As the end user, all that matters to me is how the product works. The way it is now, some of the features only work some of the time. The user experience *IS* inconsistent. That's all I said and it's true.

Besides, even if you feel that pointing out inconsistencies in software is unfair to Apple, it was only one issue out of six. Dismissing the entirety of the text over 1/6 of the premise obfuscates other legitimate concerns.
    That sentence is exactly why people corrected you. You came off as the type to blame Apple for what 3rd parties do.

The other issue has come up just in the last couple days or so. The Netflix app is crashing. I'll be navigating my list and suddenly boom, I'm back at the main Apple TV menu. Not every time I use it, but maybe about a quarter of the time. Is it just me, or is anyone else having a similar experience?
    See?

c.m.95@utexas.eduwilliamlondon
  • Reply 76 of 81

That sentence is exactly why people corrected you. You came off as the type to blame Apple for what 3rd parties do.

See?

Oh FFS, you're reading things I haven't written. First, there was no need for anyone to "correct" me because I never laid blame in the first place! Second, there's no HINT in what I wrote of blaming Apple for the new issue with Netflix crashing! I just asked if anyone else is having the same problem! Is it not possible to discuss a problem with apps on the Apple TV without being labelled an Apple basher? How SHOULD I ask that question?

The idea that I'm coming off as the type to unfairly blame Apple is coming from inside your head, NOT what I wrote. Stop putting words in my mouth.
    edited November 2018 anantksundaramwilliamlondon
  • Reply 77 of 81
    Hi Lorin, a friend was having an issue with Netflix on their ATV, so we uninstalled it, reinstalled it, and that seemed to fix it. 
    avon b7
  • Reply 78 of 81
    Hi Lorin, a friend was having an issue with Netflix on their ATV, so we uninstalled it, reinstalled it, and that seemed to fix it. 
    Thanks! I'll try that!
  • Reply 79 of 81

See?

Oh FFS, you're reading things I haven't written. First, there was no need for anyone to "correct" me because I never laid blame in the first place! Second, there's no HINT in what I wrote of blaming Apple for the new issue with Netflix crashing! I just asked if anyone else is having the same problem! Is it not possible to discuss a problem with apps on the Apple TV without being labelled an Apple basher? How SHOULD I ask that question?

The idea that I'm coming off as the type to unfairly blame Apple is coming from inside your head, NOT what I wrote. Stop putting words in my mouth.
    No I literally quoted you. Judging by replies and likes it seems most people agree with us.

Maybe Apple should have enforced these laws but I'm sure some assholes would call Apple the warden of the "iPrison" for that. Everything is always Apple's fault.
    c.m.95@utexas.eduwilliamlondon
  • Reply 80 of 81

See?

No I literally quoted you. Judging by replies and likes it seems most people agree with us.

Maybe Apple should have enforced these laws but I'm sure some assholes would call Apple the warden of the "iPrison" for that. Everything is always Apple's fault.
    There's nothing in the text you quoted that lays blame, on Apple or anyone else.

I'm right here, telling you I wasn't "blaming" Apple.

I followed up with further clarification in subsequent posts.

Despite me knowing the point I intended to make, and telling you, apparently you somehow know what I meant better than I do.

It's hard to argue with that, so I'm just not going to anymore.
    williamlondon