Apple assessed Apple TV 'dongle' to goose adoption of new streaming service, report says

Comments

• Reply 21 of 81
    The majority of people will watch the streaming service on their iPhone or iPad. Plus, IF apple did release a dongle it would be $129 and people would complain it is to expensive. 

Love my Apple TV 4K and 4th gen. Never had an issue. I just wanna watch my iTunes library, Netflix and a few other apps offered. It is simple and my kids can run it. Have them connected to HomePod via Airplay. Idk, works great for me and I know they will be supported for many years. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 81
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    clarker99 said:
    The majority of people will watch the streaming service on their iPhone or iPad. Plus, IF apple did release a dongle it would be $129 and people would complain it is to expensive. 

Love my Apple TV 4K and 4th gen. Never had an issue. I just wanna watch my iTunes library, Netflix and a few other apps offered. It is simple and my kids can run it. Have them connected to HomePod via Airplay. Idk, works great for me and I know they will be supported for many years. 
    When Apple released the Apple TV 4, the continued to offer the excellent, but less capable Apple TV 3 for $69. So where is all this $100+ speculation coming from?
    mbenz1962williamlondon
  • Reply 23 of 81
    I too love my Apple TV 4th gen, we use it daily. Oddly we have none of the problems claimed — not sure what we’re doing wrong?

Claiming it’s Apple’s fault service providers aren’t oboard with features like TV app inclusion or search ability is hogwash, it’s on them alone.

And whether this guy wants to admit it or not, the entertainment industry which owns the movies licenses does indeed consider ripping of DVDs to be piracy as they encrypted it with CSS to prevent it. Again, barking up the wrong tree when complaining “But Apple!” Typical tho.

I’m not a fan of the remote, however. Had to get a rubber sleeve for it that makes orienting and operating it in the dark easier.
    edited November 2018 williamlondon
  • Reply 24 of 81
    Honestly- Netflix has done it right - having the app built-in on most smart TV’s.
  • Reply 25 of 81
    To see what this post said before i changed my mind and deleted it, please consult your local psychic.

- This message brought to you by The North American Psychic Association -- We know what you're thinking!
    edited November 2018 argonaut
  • Reply 26 of 81
    [...] And whether this guy wants to admit it or not, the entertainment industry which owns the movies licenses does indeed consider ripping of DVDs to be piracy as they encrypted it with CSS to prevent it. Again, barking up the wrong tree when complaining “But Apple!” Typical tho. 
    Oh fer the love of reading comprehension... The issue has nothing to do with copy protection. Forget the damn DVDs.

Download an instructional video. Upload your latest iMovie epic. Do anything that results in the video -- LEGAL video -- being on your computer but not in the iTunes Store. That computer does only one thing: run iTunes. Home Sharing is on and the Apple TV sees that library. Now ask the Apple TV to find something in that library. It doesn't work, period. You obviously haven't tried it or you would know that, so I don't know how you can claim you don't have that problem.

Search problems may be a third-party issue in the case of non-Apple streaming services, but this process is 100% Apple products using Apple software in the manner intended by Apple. It's either broken or a rather glaring deliberate omission with no obvious reason.

As for the interface of various apps, fine -- there's absolutely nothing Apple can or ever could do about it. What about the other FIVE issues I raised?

The fact that you don't seem to have similar issues suggests that either we're using it differently or that there may be solutions. If you have anything constructive to offer I'd appreciate seeing it, because I'd much rather be enjoying this thing as much as my other Apple products instead of feeling disappointed in it.
    edited November 2018 williamlondonmac_128
  • Reply 27 of 81
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    Will never happen. Apple is moving its entire product line up market, not down. 
  • Reply 28 of 81
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,959member
    Rayz2016 said:
    avon b7 said:
    Apple TV was without a doubt the worst Apple product I ever bought. 

Odd that you don’t actually like Apple kit, but keep buying it. 🤔
    Nothing odd at all when you consider the last Apple product I bought was an iPad Air 2.

I like everything I have except the Apple TV.

By the way, the Shield is now three years old and still more flexible than Apple TV.
  • Reply 29 of 81
    I too love my Apple TV 4th gen, we use it daily. Oddly we have none of the problems claimed — not sure what we’re doing wrong?

Claiming it’s Apple’s fault service providers aren’t oboard with features like TV app inclusion or search ability is hogwash, it’s on them alone.

And whether this guy wants to admit it or not, the entertainment industry which owns the movies licenses does indeed consider ripping of DVDs to be piracy as they encrypted it with CSS to prevent it. Again, barking up the wrong tree when complaining “But Apple!” Typical tho.

I’m not a fan of the remote, however. Had to get a rubber sleeve for it that makes orienting and operating it in the dark easier.
    Hey, virtually every single piece of media (wherever it is) sold in Spain comes with a levy to cover digital copying. There are times when it is allowed. The 'industry' (is that the same industry that was fined for price fixing?) can think what it wants but at the end of the day it's the law that counts.

https://www.twobirds.com/en/news/articles/2017/spain/el-real-decreto-ley-12-2017-que-establece-en-espana-un-sistema-de-compensacion-por-copia-privada

https://www.google.es/url?sa=i&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwj8sIbC3-feAhVBgxoKHborAC8QzPwBegQIARAC&url=https://www.theguardian.com/business/2002/sep/19/11&psig=AOvVaw07latTapFepVztKIMUgbOU&ust=1542967371834108
    mac_128argonaut
  • Reply 30 of 81
    Rayz2016 said:
    avon b7 said:
    And then come on here and tell the world, over and over and over again, how utterly disappointing Apple products are.
    cornchip
  • Reply 31 of 81
    Rayz2016 said:
    avon b7 said:
    And then come on here and tell the world, over and over and over again, how utterly disappointing Apple products are.
    You have your opinion. I have mine. End of story.

Out of interest. Which products are you referring to? I have been especially disappointed by the Apple TV - because I have one.

For the rest I didn't buy and went elsewhere. Still have an opinion though and its just as valid as yours.

The Shield, case in point, was released in 2015 and still goes toe to toe with Apple TV in 2018. In fact it is more flexible to this day. Why not tell me why a Shield shouldn't be considered by Apple users. After all, lots of Apple users already have a shield anyway. Just take a look at the Shield forums.

Or are only Apple products allowed?
  • Reply 32 of 81
    Honestly- Netflix has done it right - having the app built-in on most smart TV’s.

I have Roku built in to my smart tv. The only time I use my Apple TV is if I need to airplay something.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 33 of 81
    i am curious what happens to Apple hardware pricing once they really go hard down the services route. There were rumors that this new TV service would be free for Apple device users. I struggle to see how that’s possible. That doesn’t grow services revenue. There’s another rumor out this morning that Apple is lowering prices of the XR in Japan and bringing back the X for certain markets. IF these rumors of slowing iPhone sales start to pan out it will be interesting to see how Apple responds.
  • Reply 34 of 81
    Rayz2016 said:
    avon b7 said:

I usually disagree with @avonb7 on just about everything, but not on this one: AppleTV is a pos product wallowing in mediocrity. I have three at home, but barely turn them on anymore. The Roku that my son has is so much better (including its killer app, Xfinity Stream). I am thinking of replacing all of my AppleTVs with that. 

Apple was was the pioneer on this one, but has stumbled badly. Period. 
    williamlondonlkrupp
  • Reply 35 of 81
    YP101YP101 Posts: 172member
    Why bother create dongle type AppleTV?
    Instead spend money on R&D, just lower the existing product line. It will sell more.
    4th gen Apple TV to $89 or $99. Apple TV 4K to $149, $169.
  • Reply 36 of 81
    i am curious what happens to Apple hardware pricing once they really go hard down the services route. There were rumors that this new TV service would be free for Apple device users. I struggle to see how that’s possible. That doesn’t grow services revenue. There’s another rumor out this morning that Apple is lowering prices of the XR in Japan and bringing back the X for certain markets. IF these rumors of slowing iPhone sales start to pan out it will be interesting to see how Apple responds.
    If Apple does come with a Chromecast-like product, it allows them to focus the current ATV as a gaming console (if they so choose).  Stick an A12X in there, come out their own 1st-party controller, invest in some 1st party game content and they're set.  As far as slow iPhone sales, according to Neil Cybart over at Above Avalon, it's the XR that's facing slow sales, the XS / XS Max sales are holding stead, and the iPhone 8-series is seeing very strong sales.  Which is unfortunate, if true, because the XR is a very nice iPhone & even at 326 PPI the screen is very nice.  All the reviews on it have been hugely positive.
    edited November 2018
  • Reply 37 of 81
    If Apple does come with a Chromecast-like product, it allows them to focus the current ATV as a gaming console (if they so choose).  Stick an A12X in there, come out their own 1st-party controller, invest in some 1st party game content and they're set.  As far as slow iPhone sales, according to Neil Cybart over at Above Avalon, it's the XR that's facing slow sales, the XS / XS Max sales are holding stead, and the iPhone 8-series is seeing very strong sales.  Which is unfortunate, if true, because the XR is a very nice iPhone & even at 326 PPI the screen is very nice.  All the reviews on it have been hugely positive.
    Yeah it would be a shame if the XR didn’t do well. I think it’s a fantastic phone as well. I’m hoping the rumors are off. But if they’re not I wonder if it’s just price people are balking at or something else with the phone they don’t like? I can’t imagine the average consumer cares about whether the display is 1080p or not.
  • Reply 38 of 81
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    thrang said:
    I own four ATV4K's and really never had an issue with any of them. Not sure what "flexibility" is missing from it - With Infuse, you can play your own local content, even ripped BDMV or ISO Blu Ray or UHD (still waiting for Atmos support for 3rd party apps like Infuse however)

My gripe is the touch remote, and the GUI, as nice as it was when launched, could stand the next phase of modernization

I love the Apple TV Remote. I frankly can’t understand why anyone has any problems with it. It’s a joy to use. My Sony TV remote will control the ATV via CEC, but I prefer using the ATV remote. I can’t think of one situation where I’ve ever had any issues using it.
  • Reply 39 of 81

I have Roku built in to my smart tv. The only time I use my Apple TV is if I need to airplay something.
    Check out Video & TV Cast. It may let you avoid the Apple TV altogether.
  • Reply 40 of 81
    hentaiboy said:
    Will never happen. Apple is moving its entire product line up market, not down. 
    This is a case where moving down market will be a good gamble.  It allows the current ATV to move into niche markets like console gaming.
    williamlondon