Apple offers 10 percent discount online to veterans & active duty US military

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 23
    Apple has had a Veterans and Military Purchase Program for many, many years.  I've purchased several Apple hardware items over the years using this program.  I don't see what if anything is special about this now. 
  • Reply 22 of 23
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    jfelbab said:
    Apple has had a Veterans and Military Purchase Program for many, many years.  I've purchased several Apple hardware items over the years using this program.  I don't see what if anything is special about this now. 
    Right, that's what we said. Instead of here or there, there are more discounts on more products spanning nearly the entire product line.

FTA: "Apple has extended the online Apple Store dedicated to those in the armed forces, with the Veterans and Military Purchase Program offering more discounts..."
    dewme
  • Reply 23 of 23
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    As a European I don’t get it why military get these perks in the US. Why not other groups that likewise contribute to society? I understand students, though, as an investment into the future. 
    As an American I don’t either. The salary and career stability is the exchange for the work. Some would say it’s because of possibility of risk of life, but this is rare and I have friends in other dangerous fields such as first responders and utility workers, yet get no special treatment. Some would say it’s the low salary but I have friends in research for cures to infectious diseases, protecting us, yet get no special treatment for their low-paid work. 

In short no, it doesn’t really make sense. I suspect it’s tied into faux-patriotic rhetoric deployed by politicians for votes. 
    I imagine that unless you have been in the military you wouldn't understand the full effect on your life compared to a civilian job. The government basically owns you. You give the best years of your life during your service. If you don't like what you're doing or don't like your bosses quitting/leaving/changing jobs isn't an option until your commitment is over (which can be 6+ years in some instances). Most of the time you don't get a choice of where to live or even your living conditions. The hours can be severe. Family separation is common, even in peacetime. A lot of the time you don't get to choose what to eat, where to eat, or when to eat. What to wear is simple -- they tell you exactly what to wear.

I spent one 12 month stretch with 310 nights slept in the field, and that period I had zero deployments away from base or combat. It was just training and testing. Great first year of marriage!

Of course there is the danger. I don't think there is a more hazardous job in the world. If deep sea fishermen had such high casualty rates there would be an uprising amongst the fishing community. The military is prepared to give their lives for their country. In some instances they are placed in extra danger and can't defend themselves unless fired upon because of the rules of engagement.