Apple's earnings warning indicates trouble in China, but everyone should calm down

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 70
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,344member
    tjwolf said:

tmay said:

In my opinion, you make the error that Apple is attempting to increase stock price.

Apple's primary goal is to retire as much stock as possible until they are net cash neutral, and that's proposed to be a seven year path. Apple's product roadmap, and now, some minor/major marketing adjustments, will provide the stock price growth. Earnings per share would expected to grow with this plan.

With stock prices this low, Apple may well decide to accelerate their plans.

Long game vs. short game.

I'm not sure I follow the logic.  Why is being cash neutral a goal?  Not arguing - just trying to understand.   Same thing with regards to earnings per share: why would raising EPS be a worthwhile pursuit?  If increased EPS doesn't translate to increased share price, then of what benefit is it to investors that their shares now "earn" a larger percent of total earnings?  As far as I know, it doesn't even affect dividends directly - or does it in Apple's case?
    I would not be able to describe it properly, if at all, so I'll post a link that does;

https://www.fool.com/investing/2018/02/02/understanding-apples-new-net-cash-neutral-goal.aspx

Essentially, Apple generates more cash than it can properly utilize in its business operations.
  • Reply 62 of 70
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    See, here's is a good article about what's going on, unlike the DED article which, as usual, goes off the deep end.

Even without being able to see the byline it was obvious which was the DED article and which was from a writer that was competent.
    avon b7muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 63 of 70
    I agree with the gist of this article, and yes, “analysts” have been hysterical about Apple for literally decades. That these fools are able to influence investors in any measurable way is both baffling and infuriating. 

That said, I am not happy with Tim Cook. At all. Where are the new product lines? Why has Apple completely whiffed on home automation while Google (!) and Amazon (!!!) churn out cameras, doorbells and thermostats? I thought Apple was supposed to be the ultimate ecosystem creator? Where are all those billions of R&D dollars going? Smaller iPhone bezels? Why does Apple continually drag their feet on desktop and laptop computer hardware to the point of absurdity? Why does Apple allow the Chinese to shamelessly rip off their design IP without any countermarketing? Why isn’t Apple telling consumers that Google makes its money by whoring out the details of their personal lives? Google is creating a corporate surveillance state and the only times we hear Apple protest are during Cook interviews at events the average consumer is unaware of. Why does Siri lag behind the competition despite being first to market? Why isn’t iCloud a viable Dropbox replacement (no file versioning)? Why has Apple dropped the ball on pushing Apple TV as a legitimate gaming platform? Where is an Apple non-tracking, non-invasive web search service? Why did they bail out of the WiFi router business? You’d think they’re running on a skeleton crew with a crimped budget. Hey Tim, some products don’t command the same profit margin as others, AND THAT’S OK, as those products exist to make the overall ecosystem more complete and compelling. Tim is always talking about “an exciting product pipeline in the works” yet all we seem to get are upgrades of existing products. Geez, I feel like we’re back in the Spindler or Sculley days when Apple innovation was merely a slogan but not a reality. 

Frankly I wish Tim would spend less time posturing politically or crusading for social justice causes and more time INTRODUCING NEW INDUSTRY-SHAKING PRODUCTS. Despite being a leftist hippie, Steve knew that getting political only alienates half the customer base. I wish Tim would follow Steve’s lead.

Bottom line: Apple is a right-brain company currently being run by a Left-brain CEO, and I don’t think that’s good in the long term. Show us the innovation, Tim!!! WHERE IS THE ONE MORE THING?????
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 64 of 70
    In the UK, I noticed a lot of people given Huawei's mobiles and tablets as a gift. That surprised me and started thinking that Apple wouldn't have a good holiday season in UK, so I am not surprised about the news. Pricing is definitely affecting iPhone and iPad sales.

The question is: why are so many Western consumers lapping up products from a company directly tied to a repressive Communist regime, with a history of industrial espionage and blatant IP theft, while the Chinese actively discourage its citizens from using competing products from American brands?

Oh, and thank you Google for providing free software development to the Chinese knockoff artists after destroying a great American tech company (Motorola) before selling it to, yep...the Chinese. Thanks Larry and Sergey!
    jony0tmayracerhomie3
  • Reply 65 of 70
    gatorguy said:
    There's no evidence that Apple spend more $Billions on stock buybacks will be driving the price higher than it otherwise would, and it's not stock that Apple holds as an asset either. I don't see the win-win for investors but whatever. I don't currently directly own shares of any of the techs.
    No it's not stock Apple holds as an investment -- that's the whole point. They retire the shares they re-purchase, so that there are far fewer outstanding shares, and the EPS goes up accordingly.

Apple's vast amount of cash is regarded as a liability by wall street, and at the same time, wall street barely values Apple's business over and above its cash hoard.

https://www.fool.com/investing/2018/12/28/no-apple-didnt-lose-9-billion-by-repurchasing-shar.aspx
    Apple has acted sensibly; and as mentioned in the article, Netflix, for one, provides an example of an unwise move re: share repurchasing.

edited January 2019 tmay
  • Reply 66 of 70
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    A very good article! Without the overt Apple fanboying and putting down of other companies in competition with Apple for once.
    muthuk_vanalingamavon b7
  • Reply 67 of 70
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    1983 said:
    A very good article! Without the overt Apple fanboying and putting down of other companies in competition with Apple for once.
    It's almost like different authors have different styles.
    muthuk_vanalingamracerhomie3
  • Reply 68 of 70
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    1983 said:
    It's almost like different authors have different styles.
     B) 
  • Reply 70 of 70
    racerhomie3racerhomie3 Posts: 1,264member
    Apple has become a big ponderous company.  They move too slowly in a rapidly changing market place.  Look how long it took them to get the HomePod released.  Then look at how long it took for the HomePod to get AirPlay 2.  With Google and Amazon updating their products every couple of weeks, Siri is hopelessly behind.  

You can see this again in the streaming service they're releasing.  They're way late to the game and they're coming without any real IP's or studio know how.  They're going to spend a billion dollars on a flop

Same thing with the iPad Pro.  There's no reason for it not to have a file manager, mouse support, a desktop browser, and be able to support external hard drives. 

They're too slow to make changes and until they become more nimble, they will continue to stumble. 
    They don’t need to be nimble. The products they release must be of excellent quality, and the HomePod more than delivers that. Just because you think the iPad needs a file manager doesn’t make it ‘not a Pro’ . The Mac exists for traditional workflows. The iPad exists for modern app workflows.