Editorial: Apple's iPhone strategy is bad for investors, good for consumers

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 93
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,341member
    clarker99 said:
    Hey, look another armchair CEO with Bloomberg narrative syndrome. 

Price is what the market will pay and people open their wallets for Apple. 
    Hold on, you said that "Price is what market will pay and people open their wallets for Apple". Are we not talking about "people NOT opening their wallets for Apple", at least not as much as Apple expected them to??? In this situation, what is wrong in talking about "pricing strategy" by Apple, which is the ONLY thing which has changed significantly in the last couple of years? 
    I’m amazed at how many Apple centric analysts I’m seeing a Twitter saying that price isn’t the issue. It might not be the only issue and the answer might not be as easy as just cheaper iPhones but all the signs are there that some people are balking at these prices. Apple is still running the trade in promotion on the front page of their website. And now they’re sending people emails telling people they can upgrade to a phone with a cheaper monthly price. OK hello?!? That’s all about price.
    Very thorough twitter feed on pricing by Steven Sinofsky at this link;

https://twitter.com/stevesi

Have to dive down a bit to get to the start.

Bottom line, it's complex and cheaper phones and arbitrarily lowering price isn't going to be successful.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_Sinofsky
    edited January 2019
  • Reply 82 of 93
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    clarker99 said:
    clarker99 said:
    Hey, look another armchair CEO with Bloomberg narrative syndrome. 

Price is what the market will pay and people open their wallets for Apple. 
    Hold on, you said that "Price is what market will pay and people open their wallets for Apple". Are we not talking about "people NOT opening their wallets for Apple", at least not as much as Apple expected them to??? In this situation, what is wrong in talking about "pricing strategy" by Apple, which is the ONLY thing which has changed significantly in the last couple of years? 
    Did you miss the part where Apple announced that China is where greater than 100% of the revenue miss happened? Almost as if the Chinese gov’t is influencing its people to avoid Apple... almost maybe?

Cook said it expects Record revenues from USA, Canada and several other countries.  In developed countries Apple keeps killing it. 
    Nope, I didn't miss it. But I read between the lines and came to a slightly different conclusion than what people in this forum have come to. 
    1. Revenue shortfall is $5 billion for the lower end of the guidance and in China region ALONE, the shortfall was more than $5 billion. I think this is the easier part, that all of us agree with and it was explicitly mentioned as well.
    2. Here is the reading between lines part comes - Apart from iPhones, ALL other product lines made 19% growth worldwide. And they all pulled in more revenue than Apple's original guidance. Where did that additional revenue go away? Reduction in iPhone revenue in the rest of the world. Is it severe like in China? No. It is probably a smaller reduction. But all signs point to reduction in iPhone revenue all over the world, not just China. In rest of world, the other revenue streams took care of the shortfall, but that didn't happen in China. Hence the comments around battery replacement, carrier subsidies and so on.

Edit: My conclusion is that iPhone has performed very badly in China and slightly bad in rest of world. And price is the key change in the last 2 years. Good news is - it is very easy to fix for Apple. As and when Apple does it, Samsung and other Android OEMs will be in deep trouble with respect to running a profitable mobile business.

I tend to agree with you.   When Apple Introduced the iPhone6 and 6Plus they had both a great increase in ASP and great increase in units sold over the prior year resulting in a great increase in Revenue.    When Apple introduced the iPhone 7 and iPhone7plus they had a small increase good increase in units over the prior year but it was not an increase in units over two years before.   Last year (2017) they had a strong increase in revenue due to the higher of the iphoneX but a few less phones than sold the year before.    I'm estimating they will have 65Million units sold for $52 Billion in iPhone Revenue plus $32 Billion in everything else (up $6 B) due to Computers, wearables, and services.   That's what I'm backing out from what Cook did disclose but I won't be surprised that he didn't estimate just a Billion on the lowside and things will be slightly better.

Quarter

Flagships

IphoneUnits (1000s)

iPhone Revenue ($Billions)

Total Revenue (Billions)

Non IPhone Revenue

2014Q`

5S

2015Q1

6/6Plus

2016Q1

6S/6SPlus

2017Q1

7/7Plus

2018Q1

8/8Plus/X

2019Q1 Est

Xr/Xs/XsPlus

I expect that 2019Q2 will be even worse because the Jan-Mar quarter is usually very good in China because of Asian new year.  But I don't expect the bad news to end then.    Even resolving Chinese Trade and policy issues, I think the rest of the year will be down some.

Hopefully things will get better starting with the Sept 2019 phones.   What Features do they need to add to Make Apple Great Again in 2020Q1? Or do they have to be more price competive.  Long term I think they do need to do something to bring in Android Switchers (which also means they need to make MAPS and SIRI better because Android has them beat there).

muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 83 of 93
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    avon b7 said:
    sacto joe said:

avon b7 said:
    I switched just over four years ago with the dilemma mentioned in this piece. I was priced our of the iPhone market (new phone), but picking up a much older iPhone (refurbished or second hand) was a ridiculous proposition as I could get a new phone with very competitive hardware for (in those days) 200€.

New phone. Modern technology. Amazing build quality. Fast charging. Extra storage etc. It was Android but I liked the system much more than iOS.

Nowadays, you can pick up amazing new phones that leave four year old hardware in the dust for 250€ (or less!) and follow a far shorter upgrade path or hang on to it for longer if you wish. 

You would have to be an iOS die hard to pick up a four year old iPhone as your main phone.

I think my situation is pretty indicative of many people who were in my situation and it is one of the reasons iPhone sales flattened.

New, far cheaper phones from competitors are more than good enough on every level.

The big difference between today and four years ago is that competitors are offering amazing phones at every price band right up into premium and far beyond.

Plenty of options at plenty of prices.

Apple has very limited options and an 's' cycle which is now taking the edge off of its ability to react to market trends.
    We're so thrilled you're happy with your Android, and that you like their system better. Never mind that it's OS is full of security holes you could drive a Russian tank through. Never mind that you don't have the product ecosystem that Apple gives it's users. Go in peace to enjoy your Android device. Just don't expect us to be jealous....
    I have never had one single security issue. What do you mean by 'ecosystem'. Is it synonymous of lock in?

If I need an app, I get it from the Play Store. If I need a service, it's available. Apps are updated continuously - and independently of the core OS.

Have you used Android recently?
    If ya gotta ask the question, you won't understand the answer....
    cornchip
  • Reply 84 of 93
    avon b7 said:
    sacto joe said:

avon b7 said:
    I switched just over four years ago with the dilemma mentioned in this piece. I was priced our of the iPhone market (new phone), but picking up a much older iPhone (refurbished or second hand) was a ridiculous proposition as I could get a new phone with very competitive hardware for (in those days) 200€.

New phone. Modern technology. Amazing build quality. Fast charging. Extra storage etc. It was Android but I liked the system much more than iOS.

Nowadays, you can pick up amazing new phones that leave four year old hardware in the dust for 250€ (or less!) and follow a far shorter upgrade path or hang on to it for longer if you wish. 

You would have to be an iOS die hard to pick up a four year old iPhone as your main phone.

I think my situation is pretty indicative of many people who were in my situation and it is one of the reasons iPhone sales flattened.

New, far cheaper phones from competitors are more than good enough on every level.

The big difference between today and four years ago is that competitors are offering amazing phones at every price band right up into premium and far beyond.

Apple has very limited options and an 's' cycle which is now taking the edge off of its ability to react to market trends.
    We're so thrilled you're happy with your Android, and that you like their system better. Never mind that it's OS is full of security holes you could drive a Russian tank through. Never mind that you don't have the product ecosystem that Apple gives it's users. Go in peace to enjoy your Android device. Just don't expect us to be jealous....
    I have never had one single security issue. What do you mean by 'ecosystem'. Is it synonymous of lock in?

If I need an app, I get it from the Play Store. If I need a service, it's available. Apps are updated continuously - and independently of the core OS.

If you gave that answer to someone like me (who just owns one Apple device - ipad) , it is fine because I am clueless without real life experience of Apple's ecosystem. But Avon (including family members) owns Mac, ipad and iPhone. So, no, this arrogant answer does not wash with someone who knows what he is talking about. 
  • Reply 85 of 93
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,694member
    avon b7 said:
    sacto joe said:

avon b7 said:

Ecosystem is a word that gets banded about as if it was some kind of advantage for iOS.

That clearly isn't the case as more than 80% of the smartphone world gets by perfectly well without those advantages (whatever they may be and hence the question). In fact, many iOS users get by without the so-called ecosystem. I am one of them. There are many more. That means the first step to understanding 'ecosystem' is defining it, as different people are likely to have different  definitions. Are OS agnostic platforms 'ecosystems' in their own right?

In China for example, wechat is probably considered an ecosystem but runs both on iOS and Android. For messaging you will find WhatsApp is king in Europe and also runs on both major platforms. Social media? Instagram, FaceBook, Twitter. Again platform agnostic. Spotify? The same. Convenience apps like EasyJet? The same. Cloud services? The same.

I have not missed anything from iOS. iOS was a cause of frustration - and still is - every time I have to use it on a phone. Switching was utterly painless so I can only assume the 'ecosystem' never had any advantages for me in the first place.
    gatorguy
  • Reply 86 of 93
    avon b7 said:
    sacto joe said:

avon b7 said:

If you gave that answer to someone like me (who just owns one Apple device - ipad) , it is fine because I am clueless without real life experience of Apple's ecosystem. But Avon (including family members) owns Mac, ipad and iPhone. So, no, this arrogant answer does not wash with someone who knows what he is talking about. 
    LOL...  Then why did he ask the question?
  • Reply 87 of 93
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    sacto joe said:

avon b7 said:

Ecosystem is a word that gets banded about as if it was some kind of advantage for iOS.

That clearly isn't the case as more than 80% of the smartphone world gets by perfectly well without those advantages (whatever they may be and hence the question). In fact, many iOS users get by without the so-called ecosystem. I am one of them. There are many more. That means the first step to understanding 'ecosystem' is defining it, as different people are likely to have different  definitions. Are OS agnostic platforms 'ecosystems' in their own right?

In China for example, wechat is probably considered an ecosystem but runs both on iOS and Android. For messaging you will find WhatsApp is king in Europe and also runs on both major platforms. Social media? Instagram, FaceBook, Twitter. Again platform agnostic. Spotify? The same. Convenience apps like EasyJet? The same. Cloud services? The same.

I have not missed anything from iOS. iOS was a cause of frustration - and still is - every time I have to use it on a phone. Switching was utterly painless so I can only assume the 'ecosystem' never had any advantages for me in the first place.
    It IS an advantage to iOS.   It's also an advantage to all of Apple's other products.  If you do not understand that, then you do not understand what the ecosystem is or what it does.

Because you do not use it -- or think you use it -- or think you like it -- does not mean that it doesn't exist or provide advantages.  Yes, open architectures have certain advantages.   But closed architectures like Apple and its ecosystem provide their own advantages not available to those open architectures.  Some people prefer one and others prefer the other.  (and some prefer a bit of both)

But, your denial of Apple's ecosystem and its benefits shows either your lack of understanding or your state of denial.
    tmay
  • Reply 88 of 93
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    sacto joe said:

avon b7 said:

It IS an advantage to iOS.   It's also an advantage to all of Apple's other products.  If you do not understand that, then you do not understand what the ecosystem is or what it does.

Because you do not use it -- or think you use it -- or think you like it -- does not mean that it doesn't exist or provide advantages.  Yes, open architectures have certain advantages.   But closed architectures like Apple and its ecosystem provide their own advantages not available to those open architectures.  Some people prefer one and others prefer the other.  (and some prefer a bit of both)

But, your denial of Apple's ecosystem and its benefits shows either your lack of understanding or your state of denial.
    But give me some examples. It obviously isn't as much of an advantage for the vast majority of mobile OS users to even notice it but as I said, I think it will depend on how you define it.

If for you it's about stuff like messaging and only using Apple protocols to communicate with other Apple users, there is no real advantage to that.
    edited January 2019
  • Reply 89 of 93
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    sacto joe said:

avon b7 said:

But give me some examples. It obviously isn't as much of an advantage for the vast majority of mobile OS users to even notice it but as I said, I think it will depend on how you define it.

If for you it's about stuff like messaging and only using Apple protocols to communicate with other Apple users, there is no real advantage to that.
    Again, "If ya gotta ask the question...."
    Or, to put it another way:   "The Whole is greater than the sum of its parts".   So, once you break it down into its component parts, you no longer have the whole - you have a bin full of loose parts. 

Or, another analogy:   We used to pump kids full of Tang and Orange Juice thinking that the vitamin C from the orange was making them healthy.   Now we know:   They needed to eat the orange.
  • Reply 90 of 93
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    sacto joe said:

avon b7 said:

Or, to put it another way:   "The Whole is greater than the sum of its parts".   So, once you break it down into its component parts, you no longer have the whole - you have a bin full of loose parts. 

Or, another analogy:   We used to pump kids full of Tang and Orange Juice thinking that the vitamin C from the orange was making them healthy.   Now we know:   They needed to eat the orange.
    But that doesn't rub as a true advantage if you can't give tangible examples.

I could argue the same in favour of Android. Much more so in fact as so many apps on Android receive updates continuously and go much further back than the latest OS versions. That means you are not required to apply a major system update just to use the latest version of your needed app 

My Smart Plugs are Alexa and Giogle Assistant compatible but of course Siri doesn't get a look in. The app to control them will probably require a major  iOS upgrade before the same app requires a major Android upgrade.

And if the major iOS upgrade is to something as criticised as iOS11 your whole experience takes a hit - especially on older hardware.

There is a point where 'upgrade to resolve problems' simply doesn't cut it.
  • Reply 91 of 93
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    sacto joe said:

avon b7 said:

But that doesn't rub as a true advantage if you can't give tangible examples.

I could argue the same in favour of Android. Much more so in fact as so many apps on Android receive updates continuously and go much further back than the latest OS versions. That means you are not required to apply a major system update just to use the latest version of your needed app 

My Smart Plugs are Alexa and Giogle Assistant compatible but of course Siri doesn't get a look in. The app to control them will probably require a major  iOS upgrade before the same app requires a major Android upgrade.

And if the major iOS upgrade is to something as criticised as iOS11 your whole experience takes a hit - especially on older hardware.

There is a point where 'upgrade to resolve problems' simply doesn't cut it.
    No, you wouldn't understand the answer....
  • Reply 92 of 93
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,295member
    avon b7 said:

You need to tell that to the people who buy my used 2-3 year old iPhones for 40-50¢ on the dollar.

And Apple does not have “s” cycle upgrades any more.  Most people prefer to stay in the iOS ecosystem regardless of your opnion.
  • Reply 93 of 93
    badmonk said:
    avon b7 said:

You need to tell that to the people who buy my used 2-3 year old iPhones for 40-50¢ on the dollar.

And Apple does not have “s” cycle upgrades any more.  Most people prefer to stay in the iOS ecosystem regardless of your opnion.
    That's an 's' cycle in inverted commas. Not 's' model. This year's refresh was iterative, akin to an 's' cycle.