Steve Jobs unveiled the first iPhone 17 years ago today

Comments

• Reply 21 of 74
    65026502 Posts: 382member
    I bought Apple stock after seeing that presentation. Still have it and it hasn't done too shabby.
    StrangeDayscornchipBart Y
  • Reply 22 of 74
    dr. xdr. x Posts: 282member
    6502 said:
    I bought Apple stock after seeing that presentation. Still have it and it hasn't done too shabby.

I brought my APPL stock December of 2006 based on rumors that Apple would release iPhone in January 2007 at Macworld. It HAS done amazingly well. I picked up a few more over the years. I still have all of mine even the shares I got in December of 2006.
    StrangeDaysBart Y
  • Reply 23 of 74
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,226member
    I've owned every flagship model of iPhone and recognized its addictive qualities immediately. Not sure that's relevant here. Just sayin'.
    Bart Y
  • Reply 24 of 74
    AAPL was a little over $12/share that day.

It's almost $309 today, an approximately 2,500% gain (a compounded average growth rate of 28% annually)!
    fastasleeph4y3s
  • Reply 25 of 74
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    It was such an exciting time.... not had such a high since then. 
    nubus
  • Reply 26 of 74
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 946member
    No physical keys! What could they possibly be thinking! Doomed, totally doomed. 
    baconstangcornchipkiltedgreenravnorodombloggerblogBart Y
  • Reply 27 of 74
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 13,050member
    Blackberry was the only phone I felt comfortable with typing (texting) and driving.  The iPhone changed how I used maps.  I remember printing out pages and pages of directions...

The iPhone won in the end.  No longer texting and driving is probably a good thing anyways...
    There’s no probably about it. Data shows distracted driving like texting impairs reaction time at least as badly as drinking. 
    baconstangroundaboutnow
  • Reply 28 of 74
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    I went to the show.

baconstangemoellergordycornchiph4y3sbloggerblogBart Y
  • Reply 29 of 74
    aegeanaegean Posts: 164member
    Not for me, at least. I hardly use my iPhone X. It still has a long way to go. For me, my Macs cannot replaced by iPhone/iPad. I don't anticipate that happening in my lifetime for sure. When Steve introduced the iPhone, it was the best smartphone in the world and it still really is. That's it.
    edited January 2020
  • Reply 30 of 74
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,109member
    12 years later, still can’t make a phone call half the time, and voicemails will be sent to the phone after a few days, or whenever the iPhone and/or carrier gets around to it.
  • Reply 31 of 74
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,109member
    The cringe of Steve inviting Judas err... Eric Schmidt, onto the stage. Slimeball. 
    edited January 2020 baconstang
  • Reply 32 of 74
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Yes, those were good times for Apple and Apple customers. It was a good time for Mac OS and Mac computers because the development of iOS resulted in the release of a super-optimized Mac OS called Snow Leopard. No version of Mac OS has since been as optimized or as stable as the final Snow Leopard release (yes, there are a few bugs left in it, but I rarely encounter them, and I am constantly encountering bugs in High Sierra).

Yes, iOS and iPhone were excellent products and they served customers well.

That era of Apple kicked the ass of the computer industry and forced actual change. 

It’s too bad that is long over. The intuitiveness, simplicity, and robust reliability is now lost to time. Today’s iOS is a pile of bugs and conflicting functionality. Today’s Apple is no longer challenging the industry. It is merely another part of the problem. Complacency, arrogance, and greed. Apple earned the right to be arrogant, but it has burned it off. It maintains random via its money and legacy, though, because fanatics and capitalists don’t change their views very quickly, if ever.

How many of you take advantage of being able to type long iMessages with paragraph breaks? Does it not bother you that you cannot scroll that text box (you know, to do proofreading; people do proofread, right??) without iOS getting “confused” and “assuming” you want to close the keyboard? Just me, huh? Because that’s what it feels like.

It feels like I’m the only person who uses this device enough to notice the mountain of bugs and conflicting gestures that it has become. It feels like no one at Apple actually uses their own products and that people on these Apple forums cannot see flaws.

Today’s Apple is not the same company as the Apple being showcased in the years of the iPhone’s first few years. I want that Apple back. There is no Steve Jobs to have back, and there’s also a lot of lost vision and attention to detail that seems it’s never coming back as well. It’s depressing.
    edited January 2020 nubus
  • Reply 33 of 74
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Yes, EVENTUALLY the iPhone was a success that changed the market.    But neither was it, at least at first, was it the best.

Samsung had been making smart phones since the 90's and later the things like the Palm Treo refined the product.  The only thing the iPhone really introduced was the larger screen and replacing the stylus with a finger.

For myself, I didn't switch till the iPhone 5 -- 5 years later -- and even then I was forced to give up features that I had long valued.

As for the iPhone being the computer for the people:  That really didn't happen till much later and even Steve Jobs didn't buy into it.   Instead, he felt that the small, hand sized iPhone 4 was the ideal iPhone because "nobody wanted to hold a brick to their ear to talk".   In short, he saw the iPhone as a phone first and a computer second.   Apple didn't go the computer route (with a large screen) until after Jobs had died when they released the iPhone 6.
  • Reply 34 of 74
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Yes, EVENTUALLY the iPhone was a success that changed the market.    But neither was it, at least at first, was it the best.

Samsung had been making smart phones since the 90's and later the things like the Palm Treo refined the product.  The only thing the iPhone really introduced was the larger screen and replacing the stylus with a finger.

For myself, I didn't switch till the iPhone 5 -- 5 years later -- and even then I was forced to give up features that I had long valued.

As for the iPhone being the computer for the people:  That really didn't happen till much later and even Steve Jobs didn't buy into it.   Instead, he felt that the small, hand sized iPhone 4 was the ideal iPhone because "nobody wanted to hold a brick to their ear to talk".   In short, he saw the iPhone as a phone first and a computer second.   Apple didn't go the computer route (with a large screen) until after Jobs had died when they released the iPhone 6.
    iPhones had apps for years before the iPhone 6. iPhone 4 was an acceptable web-consumption, emailing, and note-taking appliance. I even made a silly song on it with GarageBand. Way more than just a phone. I hate large phones. The iPhone 6 (and newer) button placement is garbage ergonomics, and we have to have a kludge to be able to reach the upper quarter of the screen with our thumbs. Apple still hasn’t made the keyboard effective for fast two-thumbed typing (it’s constantly treating two separate taps on two separate letters as a mistake).

As a side note, I still hold on to my iPhone 4. I use it as an iPod because bloated websites made it nearly useless for the internet. Everything else would’ve been fine if not for that, and for Apple’s bloated & buggy iOS 7, which I still refuse to put on it (iOS 6.x forever, if I can help it).
    elijahg
  • Reply 35 of 74
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,453member
    dysamoria said:

iPhones had apps for years before the iPhone 6. iPhone 4 was an acceptable web-consumption, emailing, and note-taking appliance. I even made a silly song on it with GarageBand. Way more than just a phone. I hate large phones. The iPhone 6 (and newer) button placement is garbage ergonomics, and we have to have a kludge to be able to reach the upper quarter of the screen with our thumbs. Apple still hasn’t made the keyboard effective for fast two-thumbed typing (it’s constantly treating two separate taps on two separate letters as a mistake).

As a side note, I still hold on to my iPhone 4. I use it as an iPod because bloated websites made it nearly useless for the internet. Everything else would’ve been fine if not for that, and for Apple’s bloated & buggy iOS 7, which I still refuse to put on it (iOS 6.x forever, if I can help it).
    You seem to be really, really, unhappy with iPhone. Maybe you need to move to Android OS since you aren't inclined to move forward on iOS anyway.

The majority of current iPhone user have moved on to iOS 13.

https://www.idownloadblog.com/2019/10/17/ios-13-adoption-rate-fifty-percent/
    mike1jdb8167kiltedgreen
  • Reply 36 of 74
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    dysamoria said:

Yes, the iPhone did have apps prior to the iPhone 6.   But then so did all of its competitors and, from my experience, prior to the iphone 5 or so, they had better ones (or at least ones that served my purposes better).   But each was still primarily a phone with apps.   It was Samsung who originally came out with large screens oriented towards computing but looked ridiculous held up on the side of your face and Steve Jobs agreed.  He wanted something that could fit and be used comfortably in and by one hand.   But, after he passed, Apple relented to the criticism and came out with the larger screened iPhone 6 and the device went from being primarily a phone to primarily computer.   

The Palm Treo and earlier versions were simply and physically two devices in one:   a cell phone and an "organizer" running Palm's OS jammed together into a single device.
  • Reply 37 of 74
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,826member
    I used to love watching Jobs' keynotes. I'd be excited the whole day and count down to 6pm (UK). Now I often forget and miss the start. The new ones are immaculately polished, but they miss the energy and passion Jobs brought. Craig really carries them. You could tell Jobs truly believed in the product he was selling, you could see his desire for everyone to feel the same way about it that he did. He wanted to show you how cool and awesome the new things were, he was so excited and he was able to make anyone excited along with him. Even my parents would watch the keynotes with me! Cook on the other hand with his monotonous drone, faux excitement, overuse of "maaaahgical" and passing off to anyone else as soon as possible just doesn't have any passion of excitement behind it, and is actually quite a damper on the events IMO. 
    edited January 2021 13485
  • Reply 38 of 74
    AAPL was a little over $12/share that day.

It's almost $309 today, an approximately 2,500% gain (a compounded average growth rate of 28% annually)!
    It split 7 for 1 a few years after the presentation, and 4 for 1 in 2019, so it was actually about $3 split-adjusted that day. Without the splits it would have been $84 on that day, and now would be $3600!
    anantksundaram
  • Reply 39 of 74

tmay said:
    dysamoria said:

You seem to be really, really, unhappy with iPhone. Maybe you need to move to Android OS since you aren't inclined to move forward on iOS anyway.

The majority of current iPhone user have moved on to iOS 13.

https://www.idownloadblog.com/2019/10/17/ios-13-adoption-rate-fifty-percent/
    To be fair, the positioning of the back and done/cancel buttons at the top of the screen is really stupid. It was fine on the iPhone 4 with its small screen, but unless you have large hands it's impossible to reach the back button without balancing your phone precariously or using two hands. Apple should have required that devs moved them to the bottom of the screen with the iPhone 6. That's about the only area UI-wise that Android is better than iOS.
  • Reply 40 of 74

Did you see the pre and post-iPhone picture in the article? Smartphones were crap pre-iPhone. I had a couple, one being a Sony Ericcson p910. Terrible. About an inch thick, slow, crap Java apps, inconsistent UI, crap resistive touchscreen. Pre-iPhone smartphones didn't have a GPU worth its salt so things were clunky and slow, the CPUs were usually pretty meagre and they were usually usable only with a stylus. Oh and a plastic screen and often a crappy flappy keyboard thing.  iPhone solved pretty much all the problems previous smartphones had. A big glass display, no stylus, excellent first party apps, smooth animations, multitouch rather than stupid sliders that didn't work properly on a resistive screen, a third party accessory market, there are heaps more things too. It was a breath of fresh air.
    anantksundaram