Another render of a potential 2019 iPhone design with triple-lens camera emerges

Posted:
in iPhone
A new set of "iPhone XI" renders emerged on Tuesday, claimed to depict one of the rear camera designs Apple is considering.

2019 iPhone render

The proposed module would sport three lenses in a centered, horizontal alignment, plus a ring flash around the middle one, according to CompareRaja and well-known leak source Steve Hemmerstoffer, better known as @OnLeaks. Hemmerstoffer was also responsible for another set of published renders showing a corner-based triple-lens design.

Both renders are allegedly based on "100 percent legit prototypes," but Apple is still said to be in the engineering validation testing (EVT) phase and yet to settle on a final layout. As before it's claimed that Apple is preparing three new iPhones for launch in September 2019, and it's not certain which model(s) the renders represent.

There's currently no way of verifying the authenticity of the two leaks. A centered camera module would mark a definite break from past iPhones, which have always used corner cameras and never a ring flash. Apple has also moved away from horizontal alignments beginning with the iPhone X, operating on the idea that vertical is better for augmented reality.

That may or may not be an obstacle though, and Apple might prefer symmetry as well as a decreased chance of fingers covering the lens.

As with the previous version, the authenticity of the data leading to the render cannot be confirmed. This design seems even less probable at first glance, given the loss of internal space in the center of the device that the design would require.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    Too early for any of these even close to true but entertaining jibber-jabber. Helps people pass time.
    anomebdkennedy1002boogerman2000Tuubormuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 2 of 16
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member

Well, I can see this one's more likely than the other one, but it still doesn't look very Apple. I don't think they'll go for a centrally-aligned camera array, although I can see some advantages to it: It acts like a rest, so that the phone is now slightly raised when lying on its back, and getting away from the assymmetry of the current design means if you rotate it clockwise (as I do, being left handed) to take  a photo, the camera is no longer on the bottom edge of the phone.

Still, I expect something more like this, but probably in the same location as it is currently, but putting it in the centre is not completely absurd, like that massive array on the other render was.

• Reply 3 of 16
    This is stupid, no iPhone, iPad not even iPod have ever had a entered camera. It's already brand recognition, Apple is not gonna move that camera ever!
    cornchip
  • Reply 4 of 16
    "it's better for AR" was the first explanation people came up with for the vertical orientation, but I was under the impression it was because the new sensor array took up too much space across the top. It seems unlikely that they miniaturized things to such a degree that they could stack these components on top of each other.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    Am I the only one who suspects these renders are more someone’s idea of what the next iPhone may look like rather than anything Apple is proposing?

Aside from looking like an Android phone (heaven forbid!) moving the cameras to the middle would likely run into space conflicts with the Face ID and speaker array. They already have a bump on the back to allow enough  depth for the cameras. I suspect there would be even less room in the middle. 

I also wonder if a ring flash would cause more glare. I can’t see any advantage to it.  
    beowulfschmidt
  • Reply 6 of 16
    Looks like a cyc...

TRI-clops

Sorry He-Man. 
  • Reply 7 of 16
    Not a chance with that ugly thing. Weak sauce. Bring the heat T! 

• Reply 8 of 16
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    Like it! I have akways wondered why Apple does not center their cameras.. what advantage does it have when its offset. ( unless its an internal space issue )
  • Reply 9 of 16
    "iPhone XI" - the iPhone in honour of the supreme overlord of the People's Republic of China!!
    boogerman2000
  • Reply 10 of 16
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    I don’t need a better camera because my Xs Plus takes such awesome picture. Here is one random pix I took right outside Apple store in Stanford mall. No edit.

• Reply 11 of 16
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,622member
    fallenjt said:
    I don’t need a better camera because my Xs Plus takes such awesome picture. Here is one random pix I took right outside Apple store in Stanford mall. No edit.

You can get by very well with many phone cameras. Cameras have been great for many people for a few years now but there are still areas where Apple is lacking and people will greatly appreciate improvements in those areas to bring them more in line with the competition.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 12 of 16
    A new camera. Nice, but – what would really be a feature or design change that would draw real attention? Is there any more space for real development in the smart phone space? The possibilities of augmented reality are fantastic, but not an every day thing. I think, the biggest thing could be not to need it that much any more, but have better AI and speech recognition, available from a multitude of devices. Any better ideas?
  • Reply 13 of 16
    I suppose it's possible that a horizontal alignment would be more in line (see what I did there) with the way human eyes are positioned, but I don't know if that would actually help with AR applications or not.  After all, there's probably a reason that most predators tilt their heads periodically when examining something.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    Wouldn't a centered camera bump up against the speaker on the other side? The whole reason we have the bump is because of space constraints of the optic system.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    iKnockoff fanboys are bashing Apple for these user made renders.

Fire Jony NOW!!!!!

avon b7 said:
    You can get by very well with many phone cameras. Cameras have been great for many people for a few years now but there are still areas where Apple is lacking and people will greatly appreciate improvements in those areas to bring them more in line with the competition.

This has not been my experience. When gatherings take place people with Androids will request an iPhone user take the photo instead. iPhone users are usually asked to take group pics etc.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    GabyGaby Posts: 190member
    I think a lot of these are disinformation campaigns to have android manufacturers wasting their energy on designs and features Apple have no intention of implementing.