Surviving the most technologically advanced trade show solely on USB-C was a nightmare

Comments

• Reply 21 of 83
    kpomkpom Posts: 660member
    davgreg said:
    The question I have regarding USB C is who signed off on this dumpster fire. Were Steve Jobs alive he would not OK the mess cables and dongles have become on Apple devices.
    Steve Jobs is the guy who dropped every legacy port from the original iMac in favor of USB-A. I’m sure he’d love the all-Thunderbolt 3-design of the MacBook Pro, and the single-port MacBook. Perhaps he’d have commissioned a better Apple hub, though, as well as a MagSafe-like charging cable. Fortunately, the third party market seems to be catching up (finally). 
    bb-15muthuk_vanalingamrandominternetpersonchia
  • Reply 22 of 83
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    macxpress said:
    M68000 said:
    Let's just hope this USB-C connector can stand the test of time - how durable it is.  A USB-A or B connector seems to be so sturdy by comparison, maybe I am imagining it, not sure..  I am very careful when using the cables and connectors on my new MacBook Air.
    The USB-A cable may be sturdy, but man is it a pain in the ass to plug in most the of the time. 

netroxpscooter63macxpressdysamoria
    USB.jpg 29.9K
  • Reply 23 of 83
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    kpom said:
    bitmod said:
    Coming soon: The completely portless MacBook Pro. 
    MacBook battery run out of charge? No problem, the Apple trade-in program will refund you 5% of your previous days MacBook. Or visit an Apple Store daily for a battery replacement for only $599.
    Ives: "The completely portless, un-chargable MacBook Pro has let us make it 1mm thinner - revolutionizing the personal computing experience..."
    Average Appleinsider commenter: "People who charge their MacBooks daily are a niche market..."

In all seriousness, we are probably only a few years away from an all-wireless PC. Wireless charging is getting better, and most people don’t use a lot of ports anymore. Expect it to start with mobile devices, though. 
    And this is pretty much why Apple is not going to switch to USB-C anytime soon on the iPhone.
    racerhomie3
  • Reply 24 of 83
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,011member
    davgreg said:
    The question I have regarding USB C is who signed off on this dumpster fire. Were Steve Jobs alive he would not OK the mess cables and dongles have become on Apple devices.
    Don't be ridiculous. Apple is a tech company. Tech companies make new stuff and new standards all the time, including the time when Jobs was at Apple. Steve Jobs would have undeniably loved the idea of a single micro connector that handles all wired power and data transfer, and does both with significantly more throughput capacity. If he would have done anything differently here, it would've been to introduce a new proprietary connector, with no particular sentimentality over backward compatibility, with or without dongles. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 25 of 83
    DuhSesameDuhSesame Posts: 1,278member
    Considering USB C is now 4 years old, this is not good news. The fact that Macs are one of the very few devices still being sold with multiple usb c ports helps make this worse. I guess the best solution is to have a usb A power strip and use a handful of usb A to USB C power cables.
    Mobile devices are better when they’re mobile, so naturally nothing plugged in stays forever.  Figuring out how things connected to your MacBooks isn’t that hard.
  • Reply 26 of 83
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,011member

MikeLV said:
    I stopped upgrading to newer Mac products when it went to USB-C only. Perfectly happy with my 2015 laptop and 2013 desktops.
    There's also someone else out there who quit upgrading phones when they introduced touchtone and replaced the dial with buttons. He's perfectly happy with his Western Electric 302. 
    bb-15anomerobbyxmacxpressroundaboutnow
  • Reply 27 of 83
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    AppleZulu said:

MikeLV said:
    I stopped upgrading to newer Mac products when it went to USB-C only. Perfectly happy with my 2015 laptop and 2013 desktops.
    There's also someone else out there who quit upgrading phones when they introduced touchtone and replaced the dial with buttons. He's perfectly happy with his Western Electric 302. 
    I gave up when they went to automated exchanges. What happened to all the operators?
    burnsideroundaboutnowstompyAppleZulu
  • Reply 28 of 83
    DuhSesameDuhSesame Posts: 1,278member
    mike1 said:
    macxpress said:
    M68000 said:
    Let's just hope this USB-C connector can stand the test of time - how durable it is.  A USB-A or B connector seems to be so sturdy by comparison, maybe I am imagining it, not sure..  I am very careful when using the cables and connectors on my new MacBook Air.
    The USB-A cable may be sturdy, but man is it a pain in the ass to plug in most the of the time. 

The sad thing is, when you look down, lots of Type-C connectors have two different sides...  Kinda defeats the purpose because I like the upside better.
  • Reply 29 of 83
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,422member
    USB-C is the future and it will take time. I cannot stand USB-A because of orientation difficulties and poor power delivery. 

For we'll need the dongle for a long time unfortunately. 

• Reply 30 of 83
    kpom said:
    davgreg said:
    Steve Jobs is the guy who dropped every legacy port from the original iMac in favor of USB-A. I’m sure he’d love the all-Thunderbolt 3-design of the MacBook Pro, and the single-port MacBook. Perhaps he’d have commissioned a better Apple hub, though, as well as a MagSafe-like charging cable. Fortunately, the third party market seems to be catching up (finally). 
    Yes he did however he didn't drop every other input source at once. Still had optical drive. Also this was a desktop machine. Hubs and dongles aren't such a big deal. On a laptop designed to be portable adding the need for dongles which one may forget and is then up a creek is a bigger issue. Data ports aside getting rid of the video HDMI and Mini DV is even worse. I don't know if a single projector or presentation TV monitor out in the business world with USB-C connection.
    firelockbaconstangelijahg
  • Reply 31 of 83
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,375member
    MikeLV said:
    This has nothing at all to do with USB-C products or tech. This is simply a case that first party and third party Charger manufacturers aren’t making charger products with multiple USB-C charging ports to allow simultaneous charging of multiple devices. If you really want to put this in the proper and reasonable perspective- imagine what you’d do if you forgot your legacy proprietary charger, like the old Apple MagSafe charger, at home when you left for a week long travel. Your chances of finding a third party replacement charger while on the road, much less finding one that can also charge your iPad would be much less than with USB-C. 

The scenario described in this article is an avoidable one and somewhat contrived to point out a current product limitation, not an issue with the underlying technology. I frequently travel with an Apple Watch, iPhone, and iPad Pro. If I forget to pack enough Lightning cables, chargers, or multi port charger (which I’ve done a couple of times) I can’t charge everything at the same time. My bad. I can still charge everything sequentially. But this in no way exposes an issue with Lightning technology, but simply my inability to plan ahead for all the resources I’ll need to support my charging needs. 
    edited January 2019 pscooter63elijahgmuthuk_vanalingamrandominternetperson
  • Reply 32 of 83
    Seriously, how long has http://www.mophie.com/shop/deals/powerstation-ac been out? Didn't need a 2019 tech show to find it. 
  • Reply 33 of 83
    thedbathedba Posts: 764member
    bitmod said:
    MacBook battery run out of charge? No problem, the Apple trade-in program will refund you 5% of your previous days MacBook. Or visit an Apple Store daily for a battery replacement for only $599.
    Ives: "The completely portless, un-chargable MacBook Pro has let us make it 1mm thinner - revolutionizing the personal computing experience..."
    Average Appleinsider commenter: "People who charge their MacBooks daily are a niche market..."

“bitmod” The king of straw men. 
    roundaboutnowbestkeptsecretfastasleep
  • Reply 34 of 83
    thedbathedba Posts: 764member

davgreg said:
    Another internet nobody who knows SJ better than the people who worked with him and were his closest friends.
    roundaboutnow
  • Reply 35 of 83
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

Change is on the horizon though, as technology is evolving. When we talked to a half dozen or so charging accessory manufacturers about what is holding up multi-USB-C chargers. We heard variations of "heat is an issue," "the spec is constantly changing," and "certification is difficult" across the board.

What's clear, is that manufacturers have struggled putting multiple USB-C ports in a single charger.

One of the first that appears to have cracked the puzzle is Satechi who announced a new dual USB-C PD travel charger that combines a 60W USB-C port, an 18W USB-C port, and two USB-A ports.

The Satechi 75W Dual Type-C PD Travel Charger, which is available now, is
    a step towards the USB-C future we are yearning for. Hopefully, throughout the year, we see more USB-C multi chargers launch, perhaps with as many as four USB-C ports on a single charger.

Until we have chargers that can do more than one or two devices at once, we can't fully embrace USB-C.
    Name any USB-A charging brick providing 6 x 60W power.  Or even 6 x 30W power for iPads.  Anker's 6 port USB-A charger is 60W total.

The Satechi is mildly underpowered for the two ports it supports.  It could support 4 x 18W but that leaves out charging any laptops.  Running full out I bet it does get pretty warm. 
  • Reply 36 of 83
    robbyxrobbyx Posts: 479member
    USB-A is massively entrenched. It will take years (decades) for the PC side to let go. I appreciate why Apple wants to move USB-C forward and make it ubiquitous, but, at this point, I think they are doing us all a great disservice by not including a “legacy” USB port for convenience. 
    baconstangjdw
  • Reply 37 of 83
    darkpaw said:
    FTA: "Some we powered through the multiple USB-C ports on our MacBook Pro. which isn't an ideal solution by any means."

Huh? Sounds like that's the best solution. Plug in the charger, and you have three separate USB-C ports with which to charge three devices: your iPad Pro, your iPhone and your battery pack (I doubt your Watch would be strictly necessary).
    When I traveled to CES, I used an Apple USB C charger for my MacBook Pro and plugged my Apple Watch, iPad Pro and  IPhone XS into the MacBook Pro’s other USB C ports (4 in total) and all my devices were fully charged in the morning. You really don’t need a multi port USB C charger. 
    randominternetperson
  • Reply 38 of 83
    doggonedoggone Posts: 381member
    I don't get this article at all.  Even for short trips I have a power adaptor for every unit I know I will need to charge overnight.  No way would I risk not being able to have a fully charged device when I'm traveling.  Included in my dongle bag, are the power adaptor cables, multiple charging adapters (USB-A or C) PLUS a 120V power strip with 3 outlets.  The later is useful when the hotel room has limited power outlets.  The bag now includes an international adapter (or 2).

Of course it would nice to have a cheap 75W USB-C power supply.  The one with the new Macs is great and with the right cables can charge old and new devices.  I also bought the 29W version just to see if it could charge my Mac.  It does barely and slowly at that but does not keep up with consumption if actively using the machine.
    stompy
  • Reply 39 of 83
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,810member
    davgreg said:
    We all went through this very same thing when Apple switched from its old Serial I/O to USB. It was dongle hell too! It took a couple of years and then USB took over. This is really nothing new and guess what, yes, this was on Steve's watch along with other I/O interface changes throughout the years. Stop with the if Steve were here shit!
    elijahg
  • Reply 40 of 83
    bitmodbitmod Posts: 267member
    thedba said:
    bitmod said:

“bitmod” The king of straw men. 
    hu·mor
    /ˈ(h)yo͞omər/
    noun
    1. 1. 
      the quality of being amusing or comic, especially as expressed in literature or speech.
      "his tales are full of humor"
      synonyms:comical aspect, comic side, funny side, comedy, funniness, hilarity, jocularity

i·ro·ny1
      /ˈīrənē/
      noun
      1. the expression of one's meaning by using language that normally signifies the opposite, typically for humorous or emphatic effect.
        "“Don't go overboard with the gratitude,” he rejoined with heavy irony"
        synonyms:sarcasm, sardonicism, dryness, causticity, sharpness, acerbity, acid, bitterness, trenchancy, mordancy, cynicism