Apple restores Facebook enterprise certificates following 'Facebook Research' fallout

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,322member
    How about Apple revoking the public certificates of Facebook and Google "by mistake" and take few days to correct it? 
    Just start reject FB app updates if they don't reduce the footprint space and energy of the current version by 5% or more.
    cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 33
    lkrupp said:
    I’m just stupefied by those who see Apple as the bad actor here. This take is all over the tech blogs. On MacRumors the comments are like 10-to-1 against Apple as abusing its power and how it shouldn’t be able to do this to a company and they hope everybody dumps their Apple products to teach Apple a lesson. 

Going to MacRumors is caused by the same wiring in humans that makes us rubberneck accidents.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 33
    It would be interesting to know the legal angles in this circumstance. Even though Facebook’s maneuver created a byproduct which circumvented Apple’s requirements, they may have a case that it was a legal ‘development’ phase for their paid ‘developer’ test team. Apple may very well have backed down.
  • Reply 24 of 33
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    MisterKit said:
    It would be interesting to know the legal angles in this circumstance. Even though Facebook’s maneuver created a byproduct which circumvented Apple’s requirements, they may have a case that it was a legal ‘development’ phase for their paid ‘developer’ test team. Apple may very well have backed down.
    What legal right does Facebook have to an Apple Developer Certificate?  I’m under the impression that it’s Apple right to give and taketh away at their pleasure.
    beowulfschmidtn2itivguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 33
    crowley said:
    MisterKit said:
    What legal right does Facebook have to an Apple Developer Certificate?  I’m under the impression that it’s Apple right to give and taketh away at their pleasure.
    I don’t know. Maybe there are some people here with knowledge on the subject. My first guess is that Apple did not say to Facebook something like, hey, because we are such good friends and we want to go out of our way to help your business, we will immediately in what was less than 24 hours reinstate your certificate for immediate use.

• Reply 26 of 33
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    jungmark said:
    Personally I think Apple should've taken more time to restore access. 
    My bet is they needed time to vet the remaining apps being used by them under the certificate to ensure there weren’t other violations. They may have also wanted to put additional protections in place to make sure it doesn’t happen again. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 33
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,696member
    I personally believe Apple did this just to show the impact if this happens again. Both companies need each other too much to let this spiral out of control. Like it or not, many people would get rid of their iOS devices if the Facebook nonsense was removed. WhatsApp, Instagram, Messenger, and the main app are like oxygen for many people. And without iOS, how much are those ads really worth on Facebook given the historical difference between Android and iOS revenue per user? But for the record, I think Facebook is awful and the leadership is corrupt. I did some brief consulting out there when I worked for a consulting firm and it was like a cult. 
    You make a valid point and I'm sure many commenters haven't really weighed up the potential consequences of large platforms dropping iOS.

I think it's akin to a game of chicken and I don't think it is clear who could suffer the most. A synchronised move by both Google and FB could lead to much more turbulence than many imagine. If those two could get Tencent on board, just three companies could have a devastating effect on Apple. We shouldn't lose sight of that.

No doubt it wouldn't take long for some to coin that particular scenario as the 'axis of evil' ;-)
    edited February 2019 delreyjonesmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 28 of 33
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,342member
    avon b7 said:
    I personally believe Apple did this just to show the impact if this happens again. Both companies need each other too much to let this spiral out of control. Like it or not, many people would get rid of their iOS devices if the Facebook nonsense was removed. WhatsApp, Instagram, Messenger, and the main app are like oxygen for many people. And without iOS, how much are those ads really worth on Facebook given the historical difference between Android and iOS revenue per user? But for the record, I think Facebook is awful and the leadership is corrupt. I did some brief consulting out there when I worked for a consulting firm and it was like a cult. 
    You make a valid point and I'm sure many commenters haven't really weighed up the potential consequences of large platforms dropping iOS.

I think it's akin to a game of chicken and I don't think it is clear who could suffer the most. A synchronised move by both Google and FB could lead to much more turbulence than many imagine. If those two could get Tencent on board, just three companies could have a devastating effect on Apple. We shouldn't lose sight of that.

No doubt it wouldn't take long for some to coin that particular scenario as the 'axis of evil' ;-)
    You have a penchant for Apple's apocalypse, a vision that I don't see any chance of happening, but carry on. Apple gave both Google and Facebook a shot across the bow, and left it at that. What happens when their is another violation? I'm guessing that Apple won't be so kind, consequences be damned.

The truth is, corporations don't like risk, so none will want an obvious confrontation, and that includes Facebook, and Google, with Apple on this issue again.
    edited February 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 33
    Still waiting for moderator to weigh in in the “why” of this story. What changed to have Apple reverse itself? Burying the lead?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 33
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,884member
    lkrupp said:
    I’m just stupefied by those who see Apple as the bad actor here. This take is all over the tech blogs. On MacRumors the comments are like 10-to-1 against Apple as abusing its power and how it shouldn’t be able to do this to a company and they hope everybody dumps their Apple products to teach Apple a lesson. 
    I must conclude the average age on MR is 13 years old. 
    cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 33
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,884member
    avon b7 said:

What you just described would trigger anti-competition legal action, similar to the case that said Apple and book publishers collided against Amazon. It’s a fantasy in your head, only. IRL, iOS users are more valuable than knockoffs users, and the ad companies you mentioned understand this. Money is what matters to them. 

Further, the public app store apps have absolutely no bearing in an incident involving dev certs. 

Cool revenge fantasy, tho, bro. 
    edited February 2019 tmaycornchipstompywatto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 33
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,696member
    avon b7 said:

What you just described would trigger anti-competition legal action, similar to the case that said Apple and book publishers collided against Amazon. It’s a fantasy in your head, only. IRL, iOS users are more valuable than knockoffs users, and the ad companies you mentioned understand this. Money is what matters to them. 

Further, the public app store apps have absolutely no bearing in an incident involving dev certs. 

Cool revenge fantasy, tho, bro. 
    There are no anti-competition issues.

The opposite could be true though. If the App Store were deemed illegal and third party stores were officially allowed, imagine what Google might be able to do.
  • Reply 33 of 33
    blah64blah64 Posts: 993member
    Still waiting for moderator to weigh in in the “why” of this story. What changed to have Apple reverse itself? Burying the lead?
    While it's possible that Apple just reauthorized the old certificate(s), that doesn't seem like the most likely scenario.  Wouldn't that just enable all the illegitimate apps running on iOS devices in the field?

My guess is that they issued new certificates, which allows fb to rebuild their internal apps.  It would also explain the "We are in the process of getting our internal apps up and running" comments, because those apps would need to be rebuilt and redistributed to employees.

I have no inside knowledge, this is just an educated guess.