Apple restores Google enterprise developer certificate after five-hour ban

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    rr41rr41 Posts: 10member
    Was problem solved or Facebook and Google are too big to be punished and Apple let them do what they want?
  • Reply 22 of 35
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,668member
    steven n. said:
    cropr said:
    I am chessplayer and a common rule in chess strategy is that the threat is stronger than the execution. That why I don't understand the actions of Apple. Apple might contractually be 100% right, but it should have looked at other options to make Facebook and Google comply to its requirements. Publicly threatening the revoke the certificate is much more effective than actually doing it

This could hit massively back in Apple's face.  CIO's of large companies have now to consider the possibility that Apple could cripple the internal working of the company by revoking the certificate.  So a CIO might start contemplating if it would not be better to standardize on Android. Even if only a small percentage of the CIO actually decides to do that,  Apple can only loose.
    This is incoherent at best. The threat of check mate is not nearly as effective as a checkmate. 

Likewise, a CIO should know better than to use their enterprise deployment keys to allow side loading of apps to the general public. This reaks of basic incompetence or extreme arrogance. 
    If you are in a stand off position the best thing is to defuse the situation and prevent it from escalating to something bigger.

• Reply 23 of 35
    avon b7 said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    cropr said:
    I am chessplayer and a common rule in chess strategy is that the threat is stronger than the execution. That why I don't understand the actions of Apple. Apple might contractually be 100% right, but it should have looked at other options to make Facebook and Google comply to its requirements. Publicly threatening the revoke the certificate is much more effective than actually doing it

This could hit massively back in Apple's face.  CIO's of large companies have now to consider the possibility that Apple could cripple the internal working of the company by revoking the certificate.  So a CIO might start contemplating if it would not be better to standardize on Android. Even if only a small percentage of the CIO actually decides to do that,  Apple can only loose.
    Nothing you said makes sense. 

The reason that Facebook and Google thought this was okay is because they got into their heads that Apple wouldn’t dare retaliate. 

They now know differently. 

Swift, decisive and very fair. 

But I suspect you already know that. 
    It makes sense. What doesn't make sense is to take it away for such a short period.

If Facebook were to announce the dropping of support for iOS in 18 months and Google were to do the same, who do you think would have more to lose?

I think chess is the word here.
    You have it wrong. Facebook is dependent on ads and would never chop off their nose in such a fashion. iOS users spend more than the knockoffs do. 
    I don't have it one way or the other but times have changed and I have my doubts that regular users would stick to iPhones if their everyday apps  (Google, FB etc)  were not available on iOS. Google would save itself billions and see current iOS Google and Facebook dependent users possibly switching en masse to Android.
  • Reply 24 of 35
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    rr41 said:
    Was problem solved or Facebook and Google are too big to be punished and Apple let them do what they want?
    Both admitted they had violated their developer certificate. If I understand what I read the new certificates will not allow the apps in question to launch anymore. As for those who would claim Apple needs Google and Facebook more than Google and Facebook need Apple, think again. Both companies make tons more money off of iOS than they do Android. Google even pays Apple billions to keep Google as the default search engine on iOS and macOS. Apple guards  and controls access to 900 million iOS devices. Believe me, neither wants to piss off Apple.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 35
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Boy, that’ll show ‘em!!

</s>
  • Reply 26 of 35
    Considering they were only down for 5 hours, the Google punishment was just for show, and Google probably knew it was only going to be for a short time from the start.  Google came clean on their own, where as Facebook was caught.  

Apple had to do the punishment otherwise Facebook could have gone after them for damages and/or gotten governments to investigate Apple for Monopolistic practices.  (While both claims are BS, not applying rules evenly does open you up to the lawsuit/investigation)
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 27 of 35
    Google i hopeGoogle i hope Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    chasm said:
    Facebook and Google need Apple and it’s affluent users FAR more than Apple needs them. All of FBand Google services can be reached from a web connection.

You’re playing tiddlywinks, not chess.
    Sounds like an application that the user had the ability to opt into.  oh your precious iPhones what you going to do when Google stops running all your service is behind it like your Safari is run by Google.  
    I think that Facebook and Google will survive without the 85.5 million u.s. iPhone users.
    But globally I asked you to get your head out of the chessboard or your tiddleywink box and take a look at who has market share across the globe there are more than just the people in the United States that buy it I phone every time a new one comes out because it's got a shiny new piece of Crystal on it.

Surprise: Google Reveals iOS Market Share Is 65% to 230% Bigger Than We Thought

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnkoetsier/2017/05/18/surprise-google-reveals-apples-ios-market-share-is-65-to-230-bigger-than-we-thought/

well back to playing Chester tiddlywinks with the four billion people on the Earth and not just concentrating on what new iPhone is going to come out.
  • Reply 28 of 35
    MplsP said:
    cropr said:

Or, they might decide not to violate the terms of the agreement to which they agreed.  Integrity.  What a concept, huh?
    Yes, It’s just odd that it only took 5 hours for things to change and for the service to be restored. I’m thinking there was more going on than we were aware of, likely some talks preceding the outage, but if the talks were ongoing and Google was moving towards rectifying the issue, why pull the plug at all?
    I think they had to recall the certificate in order to disable all app installations.  Even if Facebook and Google claim that they discontinued the program, the simplest way for Apple to ensure that it's actually disabled is to recall the certificate and then issue new ones - probably with the stipulation that the next violation will result in a more lengthy gap.

muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 29 of 35
    AppHellAppHell Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Apphell continue giving data collectors hell, hard reality info is key and data breaches are occurring on android at a unbelievable rate right from their official  App store.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 35
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,329member
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    cropr said:

The reason that Facebook and Google thought this was okay is because they got into their heads that Apple wouldn’t dare retaliate. 

It makes sense. What doesn't make sense is to take it away for such a short period.

If Facebook were to announce the dropping of support for iOS in 18 months and Google were to do the same, who do you think would have more to lose?

You have it wrong. Facebook is dependent on ads and would never chop off their nose in such a fashion. iOS users spend more than the knockoffs do. 
    I don't have it one way or the other but times have changed and I have my doubts that regular users would stick to iPhones if their everyday apps  (Google, FB etc)  were not available on iOS. Google would save itself billions and see current iOS Google and Facebook dependent users possibly switching en masse to Android.
    https://money.cnn.com/2018/05/31/technology/facebook-teen-usage-pew/index.html

https://www.cnet.com/news/more-than-80-percent-of-teens-own-iphone-survey-says/

In other words, teens would stick with their iPhones, and that's a demographic that Facebook is already losing, and Google wouldn't withdraw search from iPhone users, just on the off chance that Apple would purchase Duck, Duck, Go and build it out.  

The other issue is that, "Nature abhors a vacuum". Do you really think that all of those Facebook users with iPhones are going to be happy about the necessity to transition to Android OS? Can you imagine that most of our Congress and Senate are iPhone users, and likely would want to have hearings on Facebook should the Facebook app be arbitrarily withdrawn?

More to the point, that "vacuum" becomes an opportunity tor some enterprising company. I would think that Google would want to be back in that game.

BTW, you've never impressed me as a critical thinker, and today is no different.
    edited February 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 35
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    cropr said:

In other words, teens would stick with their iPhones, and that's a demographic that Facebook is already losing, and Google wouldn't withdraw search from iPhone users, just on the off chance that Apple would purchase Duck, Duck, Go and build it out.  

The other issue is that, "Nature abhors a vacuum". Do you really think that all of those Facebook users with iPhones are going to be happy about the necessity to transition to Android OS? Can you imagine that most of our Congress and Senate are iPhone users, and likely would want to have hearings on Facebook should the Facebook app be arbitrarily withdrawn?

More to the point, that "vacuum" becomes an opportunity tor some enterprising company. I would think that Google would want to be back in that game.

BTW, you've never impressed me as a critical thinker, and today is no different.
    I don't need to 'impress'. You have an opinion. I have an opinion. 'Critical thinking' is a nice little soundbite but if you are into that kind of thing, fine. It is still your opinion.

I am talking about platform support and three companies: FaceBook, Google and Tencent.

You fire back with two links on teens and limited to the US!

Not much critical thinking there.

Apple enjoys an unsually high slice of the US market (in part through lack of competition) but the same cannot be said worldwide.

In that - worldwide market - 80% of teens do not own iPhones. Or are you thinking they do?

Teens aren't teens forever, in fact they are teens for a very short period of their lives. Your links and argument simply hold no weight, or are you going to tell me that in ten years from now 80% of the US market for adults will be iPhone users?! Not that that would help your case!

And to make matters worse your own links paint YouTube as the US teen preference. Remind me. Who owns YouTube?

As for platforms and software vaccuum perhaps you should consult Microsoft or BlackBerry on that.

Critical thinking indeed!

If Google, FB and Tencent pulled iOS support people would switch platforms and no, I'm not limiting my stance to US teens!

I'm not saying it's going to happen just that Apple is surely aware of the risks of directly blacking out internal apps of the companies it depends on for the success of its platform.

edited February 2019 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 32 of 35
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,329member
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    cropr said:

I don't need to 'impress'. You have an opinion. I have an opinion. 'Critical thinking' is a nice little soundbite but if you are into that kind of thing, fine. It is still your opinion.

I am talking about platform support and three companies: FaceBook, Google and Tencent.

Apple enjoys an unsually high slice of the US market (in part through lack of competition) but the same cannot be said worldwide.

In that - worldwide market - 80% of teens do not own iPhones. Or are you thinking they do?

Teens aren't teens forever, in fact they are teens for a very short period of their lives. Your links and argument simply hold no weight, or are you going to tell me that in ten years from now 80% of the US market for adults will be iPhone users?! Not that that would help your case!

And to make matters worse your own links paint YouTube as the US teen preference. Remind me. Who owns YouTube?

As for platforms and software vaccuum perhaps you should consult Microsoft or BlackBerry on that.

If Google, FB and Tencent pulled iOS support people would switch platforms and no, I'm not limiting my stance to US teens!

I'm not saying it's going to happen just that Apple is surely aware of the risks of directly blacking out internal apps of the companies it depends on for the success of its platform.

I gave you reasons why that would not happen, but enjoy your fantasy.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 35
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    cropr said:

I gave you reasons why that would not happen, but enjoy your fantasy.
    A survey of 6,000 US teens is not a reason! 

Do you want me to spell things out?

It is ironic that critical thinking was nowhere to be seen in your post (the opposite was actually true) and yet you have no issues evaluating how others think.
  • Reply 34 of 35
    MplsP said:
    Yes, It’s just odd that it only took 5 hours for things to change and for the service to be restored. I’m thinking there was more going on than we were aware of, likely some talks preceding the outage, but if the talks were ongoing and Google was moving towards rectifying the issue, why pull the plug at all?
    Revoking the certificate and issuing a new one requires them to rebuild their apps, essentially making it impossible to distribute the old builds.

Pretty sure it stops the old builds from working too, at least from some of the comments in the article about the "inconvenience" do it caused.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 35
    chasm said:
    Facebook and Google need Apple and it’s affluent users FAR more than Apple needs them. All of FBand Google services can be reached from a web connection.

You’re playing tiddlywinks, not chess.
    Sounds like an application that the user had the ability to opt into.  oh your precious iPhones what you going to do when Google stops running all your service is behind it like your Safari is run by Google.  
    I think that Facebook and Google will survive without the 85.5 million u.s. iPhone users.
    But globally I asked you to get your head out of the chessboard or your tiddleywink box and take a look at who has market share across the globe there are more than just the people in the United States that buy it I phone every time a new one comes out because it's got a shiny new piece of Crystal on it.

Surprise: Google Reveals iOS Market Share Is 65% to 230% Bigger Than We Thought

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnkoetsier/2017/05/18/surprise-google-reveals-apples-ios-market-share-is-65-to-230-bigger-than-we-thought/

well back to playing Chester tiddlywinks with the four billion people on the Earth and not just concentrating on what new iPhone is going to come out.
    ??? WTF