Apple removes Siri team lead as part of AI strategy shift

Comments

• Reply 21 of 60
    Excellent news. 

Now, Apple, please do the same with whomever is in charge of that unmitigated disaster called iTunes. Thank you. 
    Totally agree. Bye, bye Eddie. You haven’t got a “Cue”.
    SpamSandwichmobirdpatchythepiratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 60
    I guess I’m in the minority as Siri and Apple Maps works fine for me. I use both on a daily basis and for the most part they just work. Yes, Siri will sometimes miss a word I’ve spoken for a text message and there is great room for improvement, but overall I find them both to be useful tools. I use Siri for text messages, both reading and creating and she’s spot on as long as there is a good cell connection. When she becomes unresponsive, I usually find my cell signal is also gone. So adding the capability built into the iPhone would be greatly appreciated. Love the new look on Maps and in the last 2 years have never had a problem with bad directions. 

A long way from the ideal world of a HAL 9000 or Jarvis, but in my opinion, still useful tools. Cheers
    ihatescreennameswatto_cobrajeff_cookdocno42
  • Reply 23 of 60
    Now they need to fire Siri.
  • Reply 24 of 60
    ksec said:
    Siri, like Apple's Maps, was mis-managed by Forstall. Then handed over to Eddie Cue, who had no ability in AI. Finally, Craig got the mandate. It seems Craig realized that AI / NLP is THE future and needed a fully dedicated expert. My guess he told Tim to hire the best and give him carte blanche, C-level authority. I'm total FanBoy, but Siri is terrible. It makes Lily Tomlin as Ernestine look like a genius. "Is this the party to whom I'm speaking" - Showing my age.....
    It wasn't mis managed. Apple wanted a Google Map competitor within two years of work while giving less than one tenth of a budget to a group of people with little experience in Map products. And 7 years later Apple Map is still no competitor to Google Map.  
    Nah, Apple Maps is fine. I haven’t opened Google Maps to navigate in years. Literally years...Back when I used to use Garmin USA Maps. Apple Maps has never let me down for navigation. 
    cornchipJWSCwatto_cobradocno42
  • Reply 25 of 60
    TomETomE Posts: 172member
    I am a long time Apple User, but I get more use out of our Alexas.

patchythepirate
  • Reply 26 of 60
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,667member
    I don't buy the Siri is sooo far behind. Not for one minute. The entire issue is really about what access you give these intrusive home listening devices. They are toys at this point. You ply a song, you look up weather. what exactly are they doing to change your life? And I ask honestly. The Google and Amazon devices are happy to rummage through your life to find connections. Giving the device access to everything you write, all your address, your locations, your work and children ETC, yes. It will 'seem' smarter. It's just a better spy isn't it?

We have data protection laws for a reason. We even had them in the pre-digital age.

Before everything went digital there was a surprisingly large amount of data available on individuals. I know, because working for government I managed and used it.

You would be astonished to know how much information your postman, milkman, local shop assistants, hospital staff, neighbours, in-laws etc were able to share 30 years ago. All that on top of the basics that we already had in government.

All digital did was collate all that information and make it far more accessible. With that came stricter laws. So strict that we had to modify our systems to remove data that the laws didn't allow for. For example we had to remove essential codes like HD (habitual defaulter) as we were not allowed to stick that label on people, no matter how many problems they'd had in the past, as that might not have been the current reality.

Nobody forces anyone to use modern services that gather data. All of them have privacy policies by law and all of them fall under local legislation.

These services don't spy on you. It is ironic that governments actually do spy on people but that's a different story.

In the old days I would send someone out to manually collect information. That still happens but thanks to the digital age, we have far more information from the get go.

If having video cameras everywhere you walk falls under your definition of spying then fine but we are on an unstoppable course to having far less privacy on many levels.

The only way to survive easily and relatively safely in the digital age is to hope your government puts the legallegal protections in place and enforces them.
  • Reply 27 of 60
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,667member
    ksec said:
    Siri, like Apple's Maps, was mis-managed by Forstall. Then handed over to Eddie Cue, who had no ability in AI. Finally, Craig got the mandate. It seems Craig realized that AI / NLP is THE future and needed a fully dedicated expert. My guess he told Tim to hire the best and give him carte blanche, C-level authority. I'm total FanBoy, but Siri is terrible. It makes Lily Tomlin as Ernestine look like a genius. "Is this the party to whom I'm speaking" - Showing my age.....
    It wasn't mis managed. Apple wanted a Google Map competitor within two years of work while giving less than one tenth of a budget to a group of people with little experience in Map products. And 7 years later Apple Map is still no competitor to Google Map.  
    Nah, Apple Maps is fine. I haven’t opened Google Maps to navigate in years. Literally years...Back when I used to use Garmin USA Maps. Apple Maps has never let me down for navigation. 
    Nah?

Google is way ahead of Apple Maps.

It's not even worth using Apple Maps in my part of the world because it either doesn't have the info or if it does, it isn't reliable.

Not only does Google Maps get me to where I want to go, its time to destination is often right. Down to the minute that is given on starting the journey.

That's my part of the world but I have yet to hear about a single place where Apple maps tops Google Maps.
  • Reply 28 of 60
    bellsbells Posts: 140member
    I don't buy the Siri is sooo far behind. Not for one minute. The entire issue is really about what access you give these intrusive home listening devices. They are toys at this point. You ply a song, you look up weather. what exactly are they doing to change your life? And I ask honestly. The Google and Amazon devices are happy to rummage through your life to find connections. Giving the device access to everything you write, all your address, your locations, your work and children ETC, yes. It will 'seem' smarter. It's just a better spy isn't it?

I think Siri actually has gotten a lot better and is a useful took. People were bad mouthing her on the Home Pod, where she is handicapped, but she does a lot. I actually use her quite a bit. She can make phone calls, tell the weather, set a timer, tell me where the closest restaurants are, answer a lot of questions (.e.g who won best actor in 1998, when was Prince born, how far is it to a particular location, what movies are playing at the theater, what is a hammerhead shark, and answer lots of other questions, etc.), make reservations, make an appointment, and her joke arsenal, although G rated, has I'm improved. On the HomePod I ask her questions, and she hears me from another room behind a wall. She creates play lists based on artists I like, and I tell her when I really like a song. Useful and fun stuff.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 60
    Now they need to fire Siri.
    Apple should buy IBM, keep the Watson division (to create a base for future Siri), divest the rest of the company (including the cloud business), and rename Siri as Watson.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 30 of 60

ksec said:
    This, I agree with. Maps has improved dramatically.

I have not used Google maps for at least a year now. Anywhere that I've traveled in the world.
    watto_cobrajeff_cookdocno42
  • Reply 31 of 60

avon b7 said:
    ksec said:
    Nah?

It's not even worth using Apple Maps in my part of the world because it either doesn't have the info or if it does, it isn't reliable.

Not only does Google Maps get me to where I want to go, its time to destination is often right. Down to the minute that is given on starting the journey.

That's my part of the world but I have yet to hear about a single place where Apple maps tops Google Maps.
    Google's map interface is just one messy clutter. No thanks.
    edited February 2019 kitatitcornchipwatto_cobradocno42
  • Reply 32 of 60
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,008member
    No issues with Maps in the US

cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 60
    ajminnj said:
    Siri and Apple maps both have the same problem: Apple Search.  Siri is usually right on in turning what I said into text.  It is what it does with that text that things go wrong.  Beside the whole general here is a web page, the results are often wrong.  If I take the exact same words (including the few that Siri does get wrong) and type them into Google, it gets it right.  

Apple Maps is the same way.  If I give it an exact address, the directions and interface are perfect.  But if the address is slightly off it might direct you a few states over.  I had one time where I gave it an address and the suffix was wrong (street vs avenue) but the rest of the address including the zip code was right.  It actually gave me directions to another town.  I looked up the correct address in google and pasted it into apple maps and then I was fine.  

If they can fix Apple Search, both products will be so much better.

imat
  • Reply 34 of 60
    Absolutely! 
    Same problems even with predictive text/spell check on iOS. Yes, it learns but it’s not an A student. It seems to arbitrarily forget what it’s learned from time to time too. If you don’t have the first 3ish letters of a word right, it often has no chance. But to be fair and as many have stated, it does pick up what you say pretty well. I often speak a word I don’t know how to spell and Siri will get it but not  a chance with predictive.

The only google products I’ll knowingly use are Google search and YouTube. The algorithms they use seen like telepathy. They seem to account for typos where the totally wrong letters were entered and it still knows what I meant to search
  • Reply 35 of 60
    avon b7 said:
    ksec said:
    Nah?

• Reply 36 of 60
    Yeah I’m not sure what exactly all you people are using Alexa to do.  I have a Dot, Megablast Speaker with Alexa,  and two Homepods hooked up in stereo.   Siri is far better with my hue lights.  Both Siri and Alexa seem the same for answering random questions.  The Homepods a lot better at hearing me at a distance and over loud music.   Alexa has a million skills that all do the same things and Siri Shortcuts are a nice novelty, but not a part of my daily life.  I would like to hear some specific examples of what people use Alexa for that makes it better.  Please don’t say answering random questions.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 60
    I live in Perth Western Australia. I agree that google maps is far more accurate with time estimates, finding locations, businesses entered. However I use Apple maps 95% of the time as I prefer the user interface and would rather have gooles hands down my pants as little as possible. When time is critical or a wrong location, in a rush ect. I’ll use Google maps.

i often feel with Siri, Apple Maps ect that it may work better if I lived in California and spoke with an American accent.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 60

thrang said:

• Reply 39 of 60
    Unfortunately, for Apple Maps users, about 95% of the world doesn’t live there. 
  • Reply 40 of 60
    thrang said:

That too required a firing, IIRC.
    edited February 2019