Apple needs blockbuster acquisitions in gaming & video streaming to thrive, claims J.P. Mo...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,776member

mobird said:
    Buy Tidal. HomePod could use some love with higher quality stream. Tidal is a much better experience than Apple Music, I don't need DJ's which seems to be so important to Apple IMHO.
    Buying Tidal for higher quality bitrates would be silly, most people simply don’t care. My household has managed to use and experience AM just fine...not sure what we’re doing wrong.
    tmayn2itivguy
  • Reply 22 of 36
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,031member
    I myself think that Apple's involvement in media production is a fool's errand, but my pittance of shares will not carry the day.

However, if Apple were interested in media production, Nexflix is not the answer.

National Amusements could be bought from the controlling family- the Redstones. It owns CBS, 1/2 of the CW network, the CBSN 24 hour streaming news channel,  a TV network in Australia, Showtime, Paramount Studios, a number of cable channels, a book publisher and a fairly large library of Movies and TV. It also owns a large production complex in Los Angeles - CBS Studio Center.

Alternately, Comcast would give them NBC and it's cable networks to include MSNBC and CNBC, Universal Pictures and studio complex, Sky TV in the UK and the 2nd largest ISP in the US.

Buying either of these would give them ownership of a large library of content, a production facility, a major US broadcast network with a news division, a major film studio and a collection of satellite/cable/streaming networks.
    robbyx
  • Reply 23 of 36
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    dm3 said:
    Agree with JPM's comments.

Apple has huge cash horde. They could change industries. Instead they've wasted the money with financial engineering trying to prop up their own stock. They could have bought, or could buy, a video content company (not a good idea any more, but Apple is doing it anyway), they could buy Tesla to shake up the automotive industry, be a leader in EV & autonomous, and get a visionary as part of it. Breaking into the gaming market in a big way would be a good move. They have so much money they could really change the landscape. They could buy AMD or NVIDIA, make their own graphics cards better than anyone else in the industry. They could buy or have bought a cell company, an ISP. Lots of industries that have been hard for Apple to work with, Apple could just buy.

Instead they're just tweaking products and raising prices. 
    I agree. Cloning Netflix isn’t changing industries. Though I wouldn’t want anything to do with Elon Musk. He’s a basket case. I wouldn’t want him anywhere near Apple.
    When was the last time Apple cloned anything?

Please more insight from the forthcoming Apple video though!
  • Reply 24 of 36
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    mobird said:
    Buy Tidal. HomePod could use some love with higher quality stream. Tidal is a much better experience than Apple Music, I don't need DJ's which seems to be so important to Apple IMHO.
    .... or Apple could raise the quality for the 1% of users who have the set up and ears for it?

dm3 said:
    Agree with JPM's comments.

Apple has huge cash horde. They could change industries. Instead they've wasted the money with financial engineering trying to prop up their own stock. They could have bought, or could buy, a video content company (not a good idea any more, but Apple is doing it anyway), they could buy Tesla to shake up the automotive industry, be a leader in EV & autonomous, and get a visionary as part of it. Breaking into the gaming market in a big way would be a good move. They have so much money they could really change the landscape. They could buy AMD or NVIDIA, make their own graphics cards better than anyone else in the industry. They could buy or have bought a cell company, an ISP. Lots of industries that have been hard for Apple to work with, Apple could just buy.

Instead they're just tweaking products and raising prices. 
    Every idea is a great one when you’re spending someone else’s money. 

Buy Tesla for Musk? lol

I'm reading the comments and my goodness. If Apple listened to everyone they would be broke in 1 day.

Also those says "Apple is too late" seem to be a better fit as CEO than cook. /s
    tmay
  • Reply 25 of 36
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    To thrive? Poor beleaguered Apple. Always on verge of bankruptcy. 
  • Reply 26 of 36
    robbyxrobbyx Posts: 479member
    mjtomlin said:
    Said it before, I’ll say it again... The best fit for Apple would be to buy Sony... They’d get music, movies, tv shows, gaming, consumer electronics, plus a whole slew of relevant industries.

Imagine Sony’s consumer and pro electronics and computers supporting Apple’s platforms.
    My gut tells me that Apple and Sony wouldn't blend well together.  I think Sony would be too much for Apple to handle.  Does Apple really want a record label, a film studio, etc?  That seems so far out of their wheelhouse.  It's one thing to distribute content and even produce some of your own.  It's quite another to manage a record label, a film studio, a publishing company, etc.  When it comes to consumer electronics, Sony produces all kinds.  Apple's product line is very disciplined by comparison.  I imagine a Sony acquisition would quickly become a bog for Apple as they tried to figure out how to integrate the two companies, meld the corporate cultures, streamline product lines, etc.  I think Apple is better off making a few strategic acquisitions than acquiring a vast conglomerate like Sony.

Nintendo is a much better video game acquisition for Apple.  They've always been a "family friendly" company.  They have some of the best known franchises and characters in video game history.  They have a very loyal customer base.  Like Apple, they are hardware focused but focus more on, in their case, game controller/play innovation and user experience than specs.  Apple approaches hardware from a similar perspective.  Can the two corporate cultures work together?  That would be the big question, but I think the two companies have a lot in common.

Sonos is another obvious choice.  HomePod is ok, but it's not a complete home audio solution.  I don't know that Apple needs to buy Sonos, though.  But I do think they need to focus more on home audio.  The HomePod line needs to be expanded.  HomePods should be able to do surround sound, something I'm sure they are working on.  Apple should offer a smaller/cheaper HomePod that serves as both an entry-level product and/or left/right surround speaker.  And, of course, a sub.  Buying Sonos helps them get there faster in terms of hardware offerings, but given all the work they've done on their own speaker tech, I find it hard to believe that they'd buy Sonos now.

When it comes to original content, I don't think Apple needs to own any production company unless they're planning to go really big on original content (which I think would be a huge mistake).  If they're just looking to pepper the upcoming subscription service (whatever it is) with some high profile original series, they don't need to own a studio.  One of the best decisions Apple made, in my opinion, was NOT becoming a record label when they got into the music business.  I've had some experience in the music business and I think Jobs was very wise to stay focused on the technology and not get seduced into buying or becoming a label.  Services and content might be a growing revenue stream for Apple today, but it still pales in comparison to the money they make on hardware.  Hardware has always been, and remains, Apple's core business and core competency.

edited February 2019 n2itivguy
  • Reply 27 of 36
    It is a fact that Apple has spent way too much treasure and time on creative ways of returning cash to its shareholders. Buybacks in recent years were a total waste and the company incurred more than $100bn in debt, thereby weakening the credit profile of the company. Not a single dime came in from shareholders in recent decades. Worse, the company milked its customers by overcharging them for hardware and software. Instead of plowing the money into R&D to improve its services and hardware and acquisitions, the company wasted it on buybacks. Apple could have bought Netflix, Spotify, Tesla and IBM at decent prices., Instead we got SIRI (Samsung bought the much superior “Bixby”), Apple Music (mediocre compared to Spotify), iCloud, no AI and some unknown video streaming service and “Apple car” effort which so far only cost billions without any clear benefit. Tim Cook might be a genius in supply chain management but he lacked vision to push Apple ahead. He wasted billions on mediocre services and therby endangered the future of the company.
  • Reply 28 of 36
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,238member

"Apple users are subscribing to paid services on Apple platforms at the rate of 329,000/day (net adds). This has been unchanged since late 2016."

Apple Services only; 360 Million subscribers to date, adding 120 Million subscribers per year.

The iPhone installed base is increasing at the rate of 206,000 a day, 75 million users a year, now at approximately 1 billion iPhone users.

I'd argue that Apple creating its own content is a much better solution for it's 1.4 billion devices in use than buying someone else's streaming content delivery company, like Netflix.

Purchasing a fiscally 
    challenged auto manufacturer known for poor quality and service, is likely the worst idea.
    edited February 2019 FutureWil
  • Reply 29 of 36
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,652member
    davgreg said:
    I myself think that Apple's involvement in media production is a fool's errand, but my pittance of shares will not carry the day.

However, if Apple were interested in media production, Nexflix is not the answer.

National Amusements could be bought from the controlling family- the Redstones. It owns CBS, 1/2 of the CW network, the CBSN 24 hour streaming news channel,  a TV network in Australia, Showtime, Paramount Studios, a number of cable channels, a book publisher and a fairly large library of Movies and TV. It also owns a large production complex in Los Angeles - CBS Studio Center.

Alternately, Comcast would give them NBC and it's cable networks to include MSNBC and CNBC, Universal Pictures and studio complex, Sky TV in the UK and the 2nd largest ISP in the US.

Buying either of these would give them ownership of a large library of content, a production facility, a major US broadcast network with a news division, a major film studio and a collection of satellite/cable/streaming networks.
    You forgot that NA also owns Viacom.   But there are big problems at both Viacom and CBS.    
  • Reply 30 of 36
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    I've got a much cheaper solution...
    Just add Playstation and Xbox controller drivers to iOS, and can the MFI program.
    FutureWil
  • Reply 31 of 36
    FutureWilFutureWil Posts: 3unconfirmed, member
    I strongly agree Apple should get into the gaming arena. They have the most conducive platform on the planet for gaming when you consider all of their hardware. However I strongly disagree with the sentiment that they should acquire Activision. Instead, they should consider Epic. By purchasing Epic, Apple would immediately gain a game store that they could then transform into their new gaming service but more importantly they would acquire Epic's unreal gaming engine, which would give them a technology that they could use to inform Metal and in return could inform the gaming engine. This would give Apple leverage in getting developers to develop for Apple platforms. Epic should continue to be a stand alone development firm and Apple would just take the store and services portion in house while continuing to support and improve the Unreal engine. I would even recommend that they migrate Metal to other platforms such as windows to incentivize more development for Apple platforms.
  • Reply 32 of 36
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    Folio said:
    I’m surprised New Zealand didn’t make the JPM list. Nice climate. Reliable tourism. Great setting for films.
    🤣
  • Reply 33 of 36
    I also think Apple should work closely with Microsoft and Sony to bring their controllers to iOS, macOS and tvOS.
    edited February 2019 cgWerks
  • Reply 34 of 36
    One last thought, I am very much in line with how Apple approaches acquisitions. It's a bolt on process in most every case rather than acquiring entire organizations which are much harder to integrate. When considering an acquisition, I feel that it wouldn't be in Apple's best interest to purchase based on content alone. Whether it be for media acquisitions or gaming assets. I think Apple knows exactly what it is doing when it comes to Acquisitions. Getting the parts and pieces together that make up the service as a whole. Developing their own content in this situation is needed to compete and create a desirable product but at the end of the day it will be less about the content at launch and more about the delivery. Apple wants to change this space and there have been little nods here and there about how they could do it and content isn't the meat, it's the potatoes. Eventually it will be, and Apple will eventually become a great content producer, but I believe that it's their software that will set them apart. Or at least I hope. If I'm wrong, I think Apple may have become a little misguided. We shall see!
    edited February 2019
  • Reply 35 of 36
    I strongly agree Apple should get into the gaming arena. They have the most conducive platform on the planet for gaming when you consider all of their hardware. However I strongly disagree with the sentiment that they should acquire Activision. Instead, they should consider Epic. By purchasing Epic, Apple would immediately gain a game store that they could then transform into their new gaming service but more importantly they would acquire Epic's unreal gaming engine, which would give them a technology that they could use to inform Metal and in return could inform the gaming engine. This would give Apple leverage in getting developers to develop for Apple platforms. Epic should continue to be a stand alone development firm and Apple would just take the store and services portion in house while continuing to support and improve the Unreal engine. I would even recommend that they migrate Metal to other platforms such as windows to incentivize more development for Apple platforms.