Apple's T2 proving troublesome for some professional audio interface users

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    GHammer said:
    lkrupp said:
    I’m betting that those saarek said:
    Another sign of Apple's quality control at its best! /s

I hope Apple can turn their quality issues, both software and hardware around soon. The old "It just works" has been a thing of the past for too long now.

Yes, I am aware that Apple's hardware and software was never perfect, but neither were they the clusterfuck of problems that they are now.
    Oh go suck on a sour pickle. I’ve been around and owned Apple products since 1982 and the issues are about the same as they’ve always been. Meanwhile the majority of users don’t have any problems to speak of. Audio interface hardware is one of the quirkiest products out there with manufacturers tweeking where they shouldn’t be tweeking. And where were these hardware manufacturers during the beta testing period? Why didn’t they test their gear with T2 equipped machines? Why didn’t the aforementioned “professional” users test before upgrading? Why did they assume all would be well? They’re professionals, right?
    Blame may fall anywhere but on Apple, eh? They are omnipotent in their being. All shall look away when Apple shows its full glory. Give it a rest sport.
    Never said that. Just that the hardware manufacturers AND users, especially so-called professional users who don’t test but just assume, are just a culpable. The Apple discussion forums are full of them ranting about how they just updated without thinking about it or researching. And now their software or hardware has glitches. But then you are probably in the Apple is always to blame crowd, right? I suppose Apple is supposed to spend millions upon millions of dollars buying every piece of hardware available to test and if they find a problem they should delay release of the next update until some hardware manufacturer is good and ready to update their drivers or interfaces? Right...NOT
    edited February 2019 sphericwatto_cobramacxpress
  • Reply 22 of 48
    This is NOT just occurring on external audio interfaces, it occurs on internal audio too. I had it and returned the machine (i9 MBP 2018). There is a 53 page thread on MacRumours forums about this problem.
  • Reply 23 of 48
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,560member
    saarek said:

I hope Apple can turn their quality issues, both software and hardware around soon. The old "It just works" has been a thing of the past for too long now.

Yes, I am aware that Apple's hardware and software was never perfect, but neither were they the clusterfuck of problems that they are now.
    What are you talking about? There are issues involving the T2 chip. That sucks. 

Where is the "clusterfuck"?

There was a pretty massive Firewire driver issue that would intermittently affect virtually all Firewire interfaces on OS X for about a decade, until BJ of Metric Halo finally fixed it for Apple. 
    There was the issue of incorrectly safetied FW chips that would blow on occasion when connecting bus-powered devices, requiring a logic board replacement, that persisted for years (from 1998 until, IIRC, June of 2003). Blew my iMac two times IIRC, and my friend had his Powerbook replaced outright after his audio interface blew the chip three times in a row.
    Which was around the time of that nasty iTunes update that would irrecoverably erase every single connected hard drive that had a space in its name. 
    I also had a Performa 5200 — you know, the machine that had a seven-year warranty on the inexplicably routed and defect-prone monitor cable. 

I've been in the loop for thirty years now. I can tell you that even in the Good Old Days, things were better in The Good Old Days.
    edited February 2019 fastasleep
  • Reply 24 of 48
    I have a 2018 MBP 15" and the pictured focusrite audio interface and I haven't experienced those problems recording/playing live with logic pro and native instruments VSTs but I have had a bunch of kernel panics and what sounded like the internal speakers blowing and then becoming crackly. Just got it back after having to leave it at an Apple Store for 3 weeks to get through the repair queue and then wait for them to source a new top case. Staff said it wasn't a common problem but I've seen these matching reports of issues with T2 since last year… On the phone beforehand support suggested it was an issue introduced with 10.14.2 but there was a macrumors story about similar audio problems dated long before that was released.

Now I'm worried I'm stuck with a lemon when I asked for an Apple. 
  • Reply 25 of 48
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    spheric said:
    saarek said:

There was a pretty massive Firewire driver issue that would intermittently affect virtually all Firewire interfaces on OS X for about a decade, until BJ of Metric Halo finally fixed it for Apple. 
    There was the issue of incorrectly safetied FW chips that would blow on occasion when connecting bus-powered devices, requiring a logic board replacement, that persisted for years (from 1998 until, IIRC, June of 2003). Blew my iMac two times IIRC, and my friend had his Powerbook replaced outright after his audio interface blew the chip three times in a row.
    Which was around the time of that nasty iTunes update that would irrecoverably erase every single connected hard drive that had a space in its name. 
    I also had a Performa 5200 — you know, the machine that had a seven-year warranty on the inexplicably routed and defect-prone monitor cable. 

I've been in the loop for thirty years now. I can tell you that even in the Good Old Days, things were better in The Good Old Days.
    Historical perspective is indeed important.

Much the same as you, I'm really tired of "When Jobs was in charge" nonsensical bs, which generally just means "I don't like this new thing, so I'll invoke the dead guy."
    sphericfastasleepwatto_cobraroundaboutnow
  • Reply 26 of 48
    lkrupp said:

Oh go suck on a sour pickle. I’ve been around and owned Apple products since 1982 and the issues are about the same as they’ve always been. Meanwhile the majority of users don’t have any problems to speak of. Audio interface hardware is one of the quirkiest products out there with manufacturers tweeking where they shouldn’t be tweeking. And where were these hardware manufacturers during the beta testing period? Why didn’t they test their gear with T2 equipped machines? Why didn’t the aforementioned “professional” users test before upgrading? Why did they assume all would be well? They’re professionals, right?
    How is a user supposed to test any existing peripherals without buying a T2 Mac first?  Nearly all of the vendors on the list in the article are heavy Apple players.  So I find it odd that you'd place blame on them and not Apple.  At the very least, it was a combined effort.  I've owned Apple products a long time too - not nearly as long as you but I've seen the ebb and flow of the product lines just the same.  They are significantly less user-centered than they used to be.  
    They're just as user-centered as they've ever been, if not more so. The focus has just shifted to a different kind of user.
    If a company loses focus on any of their customers then they are not user-centered.
  • Reply 27 of 48
    lkrupp said:

How is a user supposed to test any existing peripherals without buying a T2 Mac first?  Nearly all of the vendors on the list in the article are heavy Apple players.  So I find it odd that you'd place blame on them and not Apple.  At the very least, it was a combined effort.  I've owned Apple products a long time too - not nearly as long as you but I've seen the ebb and flow of the product lines just the same.  They are significantly less user-centered than they used to be.  
    They're just as user-centered as they've ever been, if not more so. The focus has just shifted to a different kind of user.
    If a company loses focus on any of their customers then they are not user-centered.
    That's a strange, and impossible to execute, take, but okay. There is no possible way for any company to equally prioritize every type of customer that they have.
    edited February 2019
  • Reply 28 of 48
    lkrupp said:

That's a strange, and impossible to execute, take, but okay. There is no possible way for any company to equally prioritize every type of customer that they have.
    How is that strange or impossible?  Focusing on the consumer is a singular thing.  You either make a product that works in the interest of the consumer or your don't.
  • Reply 29 of 48
    lkrupp said:

How is that strange or impossible?  Focusing on the consumer is a singular thing.  You either make a product that works in the interest of the consumer or your don't.
    They are. It's just not you anymore.

I get where you're coming from, but certainly you've had to have seen the shift, given the "ebb and flow of the product lines" as you say. "Consumers" are not a homogenous mass. You literally cannot make one product that makes everybody that might buy something from you happy, and the impossibility of this only gets larger as the potential user base increases.
    edited February 2019 fastasleep
  • Reply 30 of 48
    lkrupp said:

I get where you're coming from, but certainly you've had to have seen the shift, given the "ebb and flow of the product lines" as you say. "Consumers" are not a homogenous mass. You literally cannot make one product that makes everybody that might buy something from you happy, and the impossibility of this only gets larger as the potential user base increases.
    I'm not who they need to make happy.  I'm, for the most part, very satisfied with all the Apple products I own.  I'm only referring to the very large music and video production segment they've been pushing away.
  • Reply 31 of 48
    lkrupp said:

It seems pretty clear from Apple's marketing that they fancy themselves champions of creatives (artists, musicians, photographers, etc.). So yeah, one of the things they should focus on is making sure new technology they introduce plays nice with the hardware and software that those creatives use. It's not 100% Apple's responsibility, but it should be something that they devote a significant amount of focus to, maybe even, dare I say it, consider it a priority (as long as it doesn't hinder the development of new Emojis).
    Worldspinninglnikjmobird
  • Reply 32 of 48
    larz2112 said:
    lkrupp said:

It seems pretty clear from Apple's marketing that they fancy themselves champions of creatives (artists, musicians, photographers, etc.). So yeah, one of the things they should focus on is making sure new technology they introduce plays nice with the hardware and software that those creatives use. It's not 100% Apple's responsibility, but it should be something that they devote a significant amount of focus to, maybe even, dare I say it, consider it a priority (as long as it doesn't hinder the development of new Emojis).
    Exactly
  • Reply 33 of 48
    lkrupp said:
    GHammer said:
    lkrupp said:

Blame may fall anywhere but on Apple, eh? They are omnipotent in their being. All shall look away when Apple shows its full glory. Give it a rest sport.
    Never said that. Just that the hardware manufacturers AND users, especially so-called professional users who don’t test but just assume, are just a culpable. The Apple discussion forums are full of them ranting about how they just updated without thinking about it or researching. And now their software or hardware has glitches. But then you are probably in the Apple is always to blame crowd, right? I suppose Apple is supposed to spend millions upon millions of dollars buying every piece of hardware available to test and if they find a problem they should delay release of the next update until some hardware manufacturer is good and ready to update their drivers or interfaces? Right...NOT
    Way to victim blame.  1) From what I have gleaned from other articles the T2 chip and/or Mojave are most likely causing the audio issues. That is Apple's responsibility. 2) The problem seems intermittent and only affecting a percentage of users. Are you suggesting that ALL audio pros should completely avoid buying any Mac with a T2 chip because of a 5-10% chance that they might experience this issue? 3) This problem has existed for months now, first surfacing in the new MBP around Aug. 2018. I think there is a reasonable expectation that it should have been addressed and fixed by now, but it's not. Eventually all Macs will have the T2 chip. Then what? What option do audio professionals have? Switch platforms or use severely dated Macs?

In my opinion, the majority of culpability lies with Apple. They introduced the problem, and they should work with the audio hardware/software engineers to fix it.
    lnikjWorldspinning
  • Reply 34 of 48
    lkrupp said:

I'm not who they need to make happy.  I'm, for the most part, very satisfied with all the Apple products I own.  I'm only referring to the very large music and video production segment they've been pushing away.
    a) the music and video production segment isn't that large, but I'll give you that they (we) are important. 

b) the audio production segment is WELL served by Apple. Their laptops are awesome stage machines, light, portable, beautiful, fast, and Logic Pro is ridiculous value for the money, and has just kept getting even more ridiculously better — adding features like Drummer, the previously 350€ Alchemy synth, and a slew of new stuff including insane auto-tempo adjustment, FOR FREE. 
    MainStage pricing is bordering on the insulting — at 30€, it's virtually free, and its value actually offsets much of the cost of a new Apple laptop for the touring stage musician. 

This is a bug. It is annoying, and it affects some people. It is not the end of Apple's commitment to "pro" audio people, any more than their annoying Firewire hardware bug twenty years ago was, nor their Firewire CoreAudio software bug fifteen years ago, and it is not "pushing us away". 

It just needs to be fixed. 
    fastasleeproundaboutnow
  • Reply 35 of 48
    spheric said:
    lkrupp said:

a) the music and video production segment isn't that large, but I'll give you that they (we) are important. 

b) the audio production segment is WELL served by Apple. Their laptops are awesome stage machines, light, portable, beautiful, fast, and Logic Pro is ridiculous value for the money, and has just kept getting even more ridiculously better — adding features like Drummer, the previously 350€ Alchemy synth, and a slew of new stuff including insane auto-tempo adjustment, FOR FREE. 
    MainStage pricing is bordering on the insulting — at 30€, it's virtually free, and its value actually offsets much of the cost of a new Apple laptop for the touring stage musician. 

This is a bug. It is annoying, and it affects some people. It is not the end of Apple's commitment to "pro" audio people, any more than their annoying Firewire hardware bug twenty years ago was, nor their Firewire CoreAudio software bug fifteen years ago, and it is not "pushing us away". 

It just needs to be fixed. 
    Well, I'll stand my opinion as just that.  I do think it won't take much for another Final Cut walk-out scenario to happen at the rate they're going.
  • Reply 36 of 48
    Oh, the FCP thing was completely botched. 

really don't understand why they didn't just put FCP X out and market it as "This is the future. Install it on your test systems and give us feedback on what functionality you need added back in. We're keeping FCP7 on the market for now and will continue to support it until FCP X meets your needs, but we won't give it any more updates beyond bug-fixes." 

It would have made all the difference in the world. 
    fastasleep
  • Reply 37 of 48
    spheric said:

For me, they are too thin and thermally compromised now. My i9 MBP, returned due to these audio issues, ran uncomfortably hot. It was happy to do so, running indefinitely at 98 degrees CPU without any apparent throttling, but I worried about the longevity.
  • Reply 38 of 48
    spheric said:
    saarek said:

So catastrophic whoopthies at Apple are not a recent thing. Apple has a long history of major malfunctions. Quality control at Apple isn't deteriorating, it's ALWAYS been spotty! :)

I know what you're saying -- shit happens and it happens to everyone, not just Apple -- and while that does contradict the assertion that quality control at Apple ain't what it used to be, somehow it doesn't make me feel any better to know that even after decades of opportunity to learn from colossal flubs they continue to happen. Is it unrealistic to expect anything better than at least one fairly serious issue with each annual release, or is it fair to hold a company with such vast resources and capability charging premium prices to a higher standard? Do things like this happen at Mercedes or Bosch?

I don't know the answers to either of those questions.
  • Reply 39 of 48
    Yes, I think it is unrealistic to expect software to be entirely bug-free. Assuming that this is a software issue. 

FWIW, my 2016 15” MBP has been trouble-free since I got it. 
  • Reply 40 of 48
    spheric said:
    saarek said:

So catastrophic whoopthies at Apple are not a recent thing. Apple has a long history of major malfunctions. Quality control at Apple isn't deteriorating, it's ALWAYS been spotty! :)

I know what you're saying -- shit happens and it happens to everyone, not just Apple -- and while that does contradict the assertion that quality control at Apple ain't what it used to be, somehow it doesn't make me feel any better to know that even after decades of opportunity to learn from colossal flubs they continue to happen. Is it unrealistic to expect anything better than at least one fairly serious issue with each annual release, or is it fair to hold a company with such vast resources and capability charging premium prices to a higher standard? Do things like this happen at Mercedes or Bosch?

I don't know the answers to either of those questions.
    If only there were a way to search for answers on the internet:

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/news/mercedes-benz-recalls-model-year-2019-vehicles-with-powertrain-issue-111618.html
    https://www.consumerreports.org/dishwashers/maker-bosch-expands-dishwasher-recall/