The AMD Radeon VII doesn't work on the Mac at launch, but will soon

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27

Hi I’m disabled so I’m a high end Mac Pro user, I use my Mac Pro for everything… I own a Mid 2010 Apple Mac Pro 5.1 Desktop QUAD CORE 2.8Ghrz (32GB RAM) 

My Graphics Card is a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB.... My Display is a “Samsung LC34F791WQUXEN 34" UWQHD Curved LED Gaming Monitor w/Speakers”

At present my Graphics Card can’t run Mac OS Mojave and I’m told the best I can hope for is Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX580 8G GDDR5 Dual HDMI/DVI-D/Dual DP Graphics Card Black? Is this true or can I fit the AMD Radeon VII in my Mac Pro 5.1 in time?

Thanks

Kain

• Reply 22 of 27
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    KainPeake said:

Hi I’m disabled so I’m a high end Mac Pro user, I use my Mac Pro for everything… I own a Mid 2010 Apple Mac Pro 5.1 Desktop QUAD CORE 2.8Ghrz (32GB RAM) 

My Graphics Card is a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB.... My Display is a “Samsung LC34F791WQUXEN 34" UWQHD Curved LED Gaming Monitor w/Speakers”

At present my Graphics Card can’t run Mac OS Mojave and I’m told the best I can hope for is Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX580 8G GDDR5 Dual HDMI/DVI-D/Dual DP Graphics Card Black? Is this true or can I fit the AMD Radeon VII in my Mac Pro 5.1 in time?

Thanks

Kain

It takes some creative power cabling from either a SATA bay or the molex connectors in the optical bay, but a Vega 56, 64, or Radeon 7 will fit, sure.
  • Reply 23 of 27
    Mike thank you so much for getting back to me. I've seen this  and I thought "thats gonna be shit then" Now I'm even more lost.

in September 2018 I stupidly upgraded too soon to Mac OS Mojave and had to downgrade restoration to Mac OS High Sierra, and ever since I downgraded I've had a ton of issues... One of the more annoying ones is I cant install "Security Update 2019-001 10.13.6" If i try then I just get a blank screen and my mac cant switch off so I had to downgrade again to before i installed "Security Update 2019-001 10.13.6"... I'm told i cant install "Security Update 2019-001 10.13.6" because Mojave has left a tiny digital footprint which I cant find and as always Apple support cant help as they're too dim... As I have s very slow internet connection where i live so I've left the installer for Mojave on my mac in hopes that a update will come for my NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB.

Since 
    September I've been trying to get a AMD Graphics Card which is better than my NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB but I just cant get a straight answer to the point where I'm a 42 year old man close to tears just from frustration... I've looked here https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT208898 but they're just names to me I just dont know what is the best  AMD Graphics Card is for my mac... I'm in a band so i use Logic Pro x - Final Cut Pro X - i use a lot of high end app plus I'm heavily into World of Warcraft.

As Its dragging on now can anyone tell me the best high end Mojave graphic card for me so i can just buy it please?
  • Reply 24 of 27
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    KainPeake said:
    Mike thank you so much for getting back to me. I've seen this  and I thought "thats gonna be shit then" Now I'm even more lost.

in September 2018 I stupidly upgraded too soon to Mac OS Mojave and had to downgrade restoration to Mac OS High Sierra, and ever since I downgraded I've had a ton of issues... One of the more annoying ones is I cant install "Security Update 2019-001 10.13.6" If i try then I just get a blank screen and my mac cant switch off so I had to downgrade again to before i installed "Security Update 2019-001 10.13.6"... I'm told i cant install "Security Update 2019-001 10.13.6" because Mojave has left a tiny digital footprint which I cant find and as always Apple support cant help as they're too dim... As I have s very slow internet connection where i live so I've left the installer for Mojave on my mac in hopes that a update will come for my NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB.

Since September I've been trying to get a AMD Graphics Card which is better than my NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB but I just cant get a straight answer to the point where I'm a 42 year old man close to tears just from frustration... I've looked here https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT208898 but they're just names to me I just dont know what is the best  AMD Graphics Card is for my mac... I'm in a band so i use Logic Pro x - Final Cut Pro X - i use a lot of high end app plus I'm heavily into World of Warcraft.

As Its dragging on now can anyone tell me the best high end Mojave graphic card for me so i can just buy it please?
    Those are Windows issues. Check out www.barefeats.com for a better take.  Make sure you get the power cabling right.
  • Reply 25 of 27
    ok I'll ask my mac guy as i don't have a clue about  power cabling
  • Reply 26 of 27
    I just got 2 x Radeon VII to work in a cubix expansion chassis coming out of a mac 5,1 on Mojave.
    I tried 3 of these cards in the macpro set up and it would not boot up. GPU is a Titan black, and a bunch of other cards ie Decklink extreme and a USB 3.0 card which works well.for color grading.
    Next step is the GC Titan Ridge to get a thunderbolt connection.