Samsung teases first foldable phone in new promo video

Posted:
in General Discussion
Samsung on Monday released a video to drum up attention for its first foldable phone, slated to be revealed at a Feb. 20 press event.

Samsung Unpacked teaser


The teaser contains the words "the future unfolds" wrapping around a book-like invisible surface, and a reference to Feb. 20's "Unpacked" event, where Samsung will also showcase the Galaxy S10. The S10 is likely to come in three different versions -- none of them foldable.





Samsung hinted at a foldable commercial product last November, when it demonstrated what it called an "Infinity Flex Display" on a 7.3-inch device that could be shrunk down to smartphone size. That may not represent plans for a shipping device.

Developing a foldable phone has long been a goal of tech companies. With major hurdles cleared, the question is now about bringing down cost and finding practical implementations. Hybrid phone/tablet devices are currently the most popular idea -- another possibility is the revival of flip phones for the post-iPhone era. Many devices, like the iPhone XS Max, are so large that it can be tough to fit in them in all but the biggest pockets.

Apple has been quietly researching foldable displays, but to date there's been no evidence that a real-world product is coming.
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 24
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 4,424member
    "Samsung teases next failure."

    Fixed the headline for you.
    StrangeDaysmacxpressolswatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 24
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 584unconfirmed, member
    *Throws crap at the wall*

    "Look I did it first!!!"
    applefanproStrangeDaysolswatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 24
    I'm interested to see what they present. I real deal-breaker for me on a fordable screen is that the screen can't be glass. Plastic screens like on the Switch feel very cheap and scratch very easily. Also, on a fordable screen you can't even use a screen protector.
    olswatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 24
    I am trying to think what does folding your phone bring to its usability. I don’t know how thick the folded phone would be but it’s obvious that you reduce the height but increase the thickness. A previous post had it right that for Samsung this is a race to say they were first.
    AppleExposedolswatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 24
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 3,313member
    I mentioned it in the S10 thread but the apparent phone was slipped into a long Samsung branding ad on Spanish TV.

    You see a lot of people using Samsung phones for different things and at one point you see a person open a folding phone. It was pretty quick and could miss it but it is in there. Looks like the one they teased in November.
  • Reply 6 of 24
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 584unconfirmed, member
    siretman said:
    I am trying to think what does folding your phone bring to its usability. I don’t know how thick the folded phone would be but it’s obvious that you reduce the height but increase the thickness. A previous post had it right that for Samsung this is a race to say they were first.
    It's gonna suck. Especially with Sammy behind it (remember when they "beat" Apple with their crappy watch?) but the idea is you can have an iPhone and then unfold it and have an iPad.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 24
    FolioFolio Posts: 482member
    A parody ad shows a guy fumbling contraptions, unfolding a beach chair and likewise his folding phone. Meanwhile the dude beside him sitting on a towel already sipping a beer enjoying music on Black AirPods. Guess who gets the girl?
    olswatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 24
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 584unconfirmed, member
    Folio said:
    A parody ad shows a guy fumbling contraptions, unfolding a beach chair and likewise his folding phone. Meanwhile the dude beside him sitting on a towel already sipping a beer enjoying music on Black AirPods. Guess who gets the girl?
    Is this ad real? Cause I wanna watch it.

    Let's not criticize Sammy before they show their crap. People do it all the time with Apple and always get it wrong.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 24
    gutengel said:
    I'm interested to see what they present. I real deal-breaker for me on a fordable screen is that the screen can't be glass. Plastic screens like on the Switch feel very cheap and scratch very easily. Also, on a fordable screen you can't even use a screen protector.
    I like that you're already lamenting the inability to use a screen protector for imaginary purposes on a device you haven't seen yet.
    StrangeDaysalanhwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 24
    These foldable phones are going to break the $2k price barrier I bet. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 24
    Holding out for a phone that can be wadded.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 24
    Developing a foldable phone has long been a goal of tech companies. With major hurdles cleared, the question is now about bringing down cost and finding practical implementations. Hybrid phone/tablet devices are currently the most popular idea -- another possibility is the revival of flip phones for the post-iPhone era. Many devices, like the iPhone XS Max, are so large that it can be tough to fit in them in all but the biggest pockets.

    Apple has been quietly researching foldable displays, but to date there's been no evidence that a real-world product is coming.
    ..."finding practical implementations"...
    Get the popcorn, this is going to be a great spectator sport observing impractical implementations, they will be numerous.
    StrangeDaysGabywatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 24
    Sad that the fan boys love to trash everything all the competitors do, especially Sammy.  I am sure as we speak Apple is working on one.  I have always wanted a big phone, bigger that the max.  If you could turn the phone into an iPad Mini, that would be amazing.  I am guessing either 2020 or 2021 for the foldable iPhone.  Looking forward to what Sammy comes up with and how Apple will hopefully improve on it.
    claire1muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 24
    Yet another solution in search of a problem...
    well done Samsung. #FADlife
    christopher126mobirdclaire1watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 24
    Hmmm...reminds me of the late nineties where you'd walk into a Circuit city and see a plethora of crappy plasticky digital devices all designed to take your money! :)

    Best
    edited February 11 watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 24
    Gaby said:
    Yet another solution in search of a problem...
    well done Samsung. #FADlife
    Agreed, Gaby. Mobile devices are supposed to be, by definition, light, thin and small...

    iPhone SE/AppleWatch/AirPods for everyday...

    An iPad mini for air travel (or the coffee shop).

    An AppleTV for home! :)

    If you're a 'Pro' user, then knock yourself out w/ an iMac, MacBook Pro and a Xs! :)

    P.S. Seems pretty simple.

    P.S.S. Glad I'm not a pro-user! :)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 24
    I am guessing the battery does not fold. 

    Samsung?.... SAMSUNG?.... Hello?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 24
    chasmchasm Posts: 1,164member
    Not mentioned in the article: reported price of this foldable phone is around $1,500.

    Seeing new technology is always fun, but I'll be real interested in the long-term stress impacts on performance and screen quality before thinking about such a concept. Also not interested in a bulging pocket.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 24
    claire1claire1 Posts: 494unconfirmed, member
    buckkalu said:
    Sad that the fan boys love to trash everything all the competitors do, especially Sammy.  I am sure as we speak Apple is working on one.  I have always wanted a big phone, bigger that the max.  If you could turn the phone into an iPad Mini, that would be amazing.  I am guessing either 2020 or 2021 for the foldable iPhone.  Looking forward to what Sammy comes up with and how Apple will hopefully improve on it.
    Fuck Samsung. They became successful stealing Apples IP.

    Don't expect respect for such a disrespectful company.

    Apple's not gonna "improve on" anything, kid. Apple invents from the ground up. Sammy does things without knowing why.
    edited February 11 radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 24
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 2,970moderator
    Am I the only one who watched that and saw not a single folding display but a big dark gap, suggesting two separate displays attached by a non-display folding membrane?  Otherwise why would there be a dark area in the display?
    anantksundaramwatto_cobra
Sign In or Register to comment.