Sleep tracking and monitoring coming to Apple Watch in 2020

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    Bloomberg notes that addition of sleep tracking would require more battery life, as most users presently charge the device at night. Alternatively, a low-powered implementation, and Apple shifting to some kind of faster Qi-related charging than it currently uses could only mandate a quick charge in the morning.
    Complete non-issue with AW4 and AutoSleep, even with a long workout. The battery life is that good. So no, it would not require more battery life. As usually Bloomberg is peddling a narrative that Apple stuff just isn’t good enough.  
    urahara
  • Reply 22 of 29

I’m curious to know why sleep tracking would require new hardware....other than it’s a way for Apple to get people to upgrade.
    Conspiracy kook nonsense. Apple doesn’t need to fake new hardware requirements to force sales as you’re implying, nor have they ever. Their requirements are based on ensuring a quality experience.
    edited February 2019 urahara
  • Reply 23 of 29
    Soli said:
    MacPro said:
    I look forward to Apple getting into this area and hopefully using sensors that go beyond motion. I've been testing AutoSleep as has my wife and the results seem somewhat dubious to us, to put it mildly.  My wife is a poor sleeper often lying awake for hours which all get's logged as sleep.  How it can recognize 'deep sleep' from 'quality sleep' based on movement as opposed to electrical read-outs from the brain is a mystery to me.  For the price, I am not complaining but I suspect they are just novelty apps until more sensor data can be accessed.
    You should try a different app. SleepWatch does use motion but it also uses your HR to determine your sleep cycles. You never tell it when you're sleeping and I've found it to be surprisingly accurate when knowing I'm both in bed and taking a nap. It even worked on a plane, which I found surprising since that's a lot of constant bumping and poor overall sleep.

AutoSleep does the same, it’s based on movement and HR. It’s not necessary to tell it when you’re going to bed, tho you can if you curious about the time from you switch the lights off to when it reports you as sleeping.

To those who say tracker don’t really help you do anything, I disagree. Measuring a thing is the first step to improving a thing. Once I see th reports of my time sleeping, it motivates me to improve the metric and get that ring closed. As a strength trainer, getting this quality sleep is especially important for adequate recovery. 
    edited February 2019
  • Reply 24 of 29
    MacPro said:
    I look forward to Apple getting into this area and hopefully using sensors that go beyond motion. I've been testing AutoSleep as has my wife and the results seem somewhat dubious to us, to put it mildly.  My wife is a poor sleeper often lying awake for hours which all get's logged as sleep.  How it can recognize 'deep sleep' from 'quality sleep' based on movement as opposed to electrical read-outs from the brain is a mystery to me.  For the price, I am not complaining but I suspect they are just novelty apps until more sensor data can be accessed.
    I use Sleep Cycle on the phone and AutoSleep from the Watch. To wear the Watch overnight, I put it on charge just after dinner and it’s fully-charged by the time I go to bed. The battery drain is minimal overnight so I can wear it all day until after dinner again. (Series 3 cellular)
  • Reply 25 of 29
    Guess I can't quote my own post?

Anyway, to follow up on my last post, the sensor that I was talking about already exists in some form, and reportedly is exclusive to Apple. Interesting..

• Reply 26 of 29
    harmonharmon Posts: 48member
    Apple Sleep Band
  • Reply 27 of 29
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,572member
    Millions of people with real sleep problems already use CPAP and APAP machines. Will the 2020 Apple Watch work with those machines, or will the 2020 Apple Watch ignore that segment of the population? That is, the segment that most needs help.
  • Reply 28 of 29
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    "They see you when your sleeping, they know when you're awake...." 
  • Reply 29 of 29
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    Not sure if I'm in the minority, but I hate sleeping with a watch on.

I'd love it if Apple introduced an unobtrusive sensor that can be put on the wrist, ankle, or both. They already have a patent on something like this that they've even developed to include motion monitoring for sports training and tracking. Not sure what's taking them so long to implement a functional application of this idea.
    Just because Apple invents it, you don't need to use it.